Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, those three in the middle are real fuckin' similar.
Wait, the three in the middle? The Victorian outfit, the business suit and the futuristic, vaguely militaristic uniform? They are very fuckin' similar in that they're all black and to some degree formal, which is a given with characters in authority. So just for shits and giggles, let's see what Powerful Female Characters would wear under a different showrunner.

What a shocker, black outfits that are to some degree formal. I guess RTD is a woman-hating piece of poo poo after all. But wait!

A red outfit! Disaster averted! Or it would be, if it wasn't on a character largely defined by her sexuality.

And actually, Cofelia, the Lazarus Experiment lady and the CyberQueen fit your mold of Moffat women pretty well, despite none of them having been written by Moffat. This is basically the defaut you end up with villanous women in authority in a family sci-fi show if you don't develop their characters much and/or direct your actors to do something different (like with Yvonne Hartman).

Burkion posted:

And let's be entirely fair here.

If you took River but made her actually evil, like she was when she was Mels/River at the start of Let's Kill Hitler, you pretty much have Kavorian and Missy and Bank Manager Lady.
:psyduck: No, you wouldn't. Those characters are much more cold, aloof and (in the case of Missy) more visibly unhinged. What you'd actually end up with is CyberQueen or, yeah, Space Pope Lady. And maybe Michelle Ryan from that one special everyone hates, if you can call her evil.

edit

Sydney Bottocks posted:

This comes up every so often, J-Ru, and it's usually the same two or three posters who apparently view Moffat's run on DW as the absolute creative pinnacle of DW (including the original series as well as the 2005 revival), and for some reason they get really perturbed about others pointing out his flaws and problems and such. Since there are more than a few people ITT who do have problems with Moffat's take on DW, they extrapolate that to mean "everyone ITT hates DW in general and Moffat in particular". They then proceed to gloss over the (usually majority of) people who go "I liked <that week's episode>, myself" and generally have the same ol' back-and-forth arguments with the Moffat detractors, in an effort to score Internet points or something, I guess.
Careful bro, that straw man's gonna fall over if you keep building it up.

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Burkion posted:

And let's be entirely fair here.

If you took River but made her actually evil, like she was when she was Mels/River at the start of Let's Kill Hitler, you pretty much have Kavorian and Missy and Bank Manager Lady.

And Space Pope is River. Like, the only difference is one of them has a dalek laser she can shoot out of her hands, the other has...Time Lord lasers she can shoot out of her hands. Some times.

So putting them all together? Not that far off.

Where the gently caress did Space Pope lady come from again?

Actually, if rumors are true, Space Pope Tasha Lem was a hastily rewritten River Song that came about due to scheduling issues with Alex Kingston.

Which could make a sort of sense. Knowing Moffat's patterns, of course River would be the leader of the organization that creates herself.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

RTD's problem with his "powerful female characters" was that he jammed every single idea he possibly could into a given story, until there was no room for unimportant little things like "character development" or what have you. This was also a problem with "all the rest of the characters in a given episode", too, so it wasn't just "powerful female characters" that were given short shrift, it was basically "anyone who isn't the Doctor, his companion, and whoever RTD felt like doting on in this episode".

Whereas Moffat just has problems writing good female characters in general. :v:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

Actually, if rumors are true, Space Pope Tasha Lem was a hastily rewritten River Song that came about due to scheduling issues with Alex Kingston.

Which could make a sort of sense. Knowing Moffat's patterns, of course River would be the leader of the organization that creates herself.

...how would that...She gets killed by the Daleks and turned into a Dalek...

Whatever, who cares, gently caress it all. Let's just keep random space pope lady random space pope lady.

Also I don't give two shits about the conversation about them looking alike, though Missy and the most recent MoffatLady looked enough alike to confuse one of my friends while we were watching, but I will point out one serious difference. Outside of that last one in the round up of the supposed Moffat women, but then I admit I don't recgonize her off hand.

All of the RTD women you posted to counter the idea that his powerful women were the same as Moffats look extremely different beyond just what they're wearing. They all have different age ranges, different ways of holding themselves, different hair styles and colors.

Kavorian, Missy, Space Pope and Bank Manager all have short dark hair, often red, and are middle aged across the board, with Kavvy being the eldest on that spectrum and Space Pope looking the youngest, though I believe her actress is actually in her 50s. They all fall pretty lock step in with one another in a not too broad spectrum. The same cannot be said for the RTD women you posted.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 25, 2014

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I think the Moffat run is great, and it is my favorite run of the two I've seen, but the criticisms against him are pretty spot on. He has troubling ways of writing women, he relies on closed causal loops to the point that the cast and crew call them Moffat loops, and he repeats a lot of the same plot points a lot.

These things being true doesn't ruin the show for me.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I agree that a lot of those female characters have a lot of similarities but the idea of actually getting them mixed up is just bizarre to me. I'd even say it borders on being offensive to the actors.

But I suppose when I watch things I'm often thinking about the context of it, like the specifics of the writing, the actors' performances, rather than just being purely in the fiction itself. I know people who just do that and I suppose it would be easier to mix people up then.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

RTD's problem with his "powerful female characters" was that he jammed every single idea he possibly could into a given story, until there was no room for unimportant little things like "character development" or what have you. This was also a problem with "all the rest of the characters in a given episode", too, so it wasn't just "powerful female characters" that were given short shrift, it was basically "anyone who isn't the Doctor, his companion, and whoever RTD felt like doting on in this episode".

Whereas Moffat just has problems writing good female characters in general. :v:
That would imply none of these apply to Moffat and he unfairly spends all of his time on only creating interesting male side-characters. Please list those characters.

Burkion posted:

All of the RTD women you posted to counter the idea that his powerful women were the same as Moffats look extremely different beyond just what they're wearing. They all have different age ranges, different ways of holding themselves, different hair styles and colors.
Kavorian, Missy, Space Pope and Bank Manager all have short dark hair, often red, and are middle aged across the board, with Kavvy being the eldest on that spectrum and Space Pope looking the youngest, though I believe her actress is actually in her 50s. They all fall pretty lock step in with one another in a not too broad spectrum. The same cannot be said for the RTD women you posted.
Yvonne, UNIT lady, Cofelia and CyberQueen are all middle-aged and, barring Yvonne, have short hair. Lazarus lady was only allowed to be old because she was featured in an episode about Old. And I hosed up anyway because RTD didn't actually write the episode, but it was already hard to find examples of powerful female villains from that era because I GUESS WOMEN AREN'T ALLOWED TO BE PROACTIVE EH RUSTY?! :jerkbag:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pizdec posted:

Yvonne, UNIT lady, Cofelia and CyberQueen are all middle-aged and, barring Yvonne, have short hair. Lazarus lady was only allowed to be old because she was featured in an episode about Old. And I hosed up anyway because RTD didn't actually write the episode, but it was already hard to find examples of powerful female villains from that era because I GUESS WOMEN AREN'T ALLOWED TO BE PROACTIVE EH RUSTY?! :jerkbag:

I still don't know who the gently caress that is.

Also, you're still an idiot and trying way too hard on this.

First, UNIT Lady is not in the running. Like, at all. I mean, I didn't think I'd have to point this out, but the other major thing all of the Moffat women you brought up (specifically the four I know about, and I have only claimed, myself, that Missy and Manager were at all similar though obviously Manager has much smoother skin and I speak more toward their whateverwhocares) is that they are white. She is not, and no one is going to mistake UNIT Lady for any of them.

Second, did you just miss my entire thing about the hair?

Missy, Manager and Kavarion all have virtually interchangeable hair. You could swap those around and no one would notice.

While Old Lady and FatPeople Lady have short hair, they are also VASTLY different from one another-one has a kind of pixie blonde cut going on, while the other has very gray hair done up in a bun.

They do not look very similar at all.

Cyber Queen I fully admit I do not remember what her hair was like, but to be fair, it doesn't look like she has any so natch. Also no one likes talking about her regardless and NO ONE is holding her up as some paragon of whatever the hell has you upset.

Yvone maybe middle aged, but she has a youth to her that the Moffat women do not tend to have, specifically with her more revealing attire-the Moffat women are all very modestly dressed, which is another thing-though they have different eras of outfits, they all fall in line pretty easily as well.

An argument could be made for Space Pope though.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Pizdec posted:

That would imply none of these apply to Moffat and he unfairly spends all of his time on only creating interesting male side-characters. Please list those characters.

No? I mean, I don't watch DW under Moffat because I think the series under his watch is a load of wank, so I can't fulfill this request. I think the only interesting character he's managed to create is Rory, so there you go. RTD and Moffat both write lovely minor characters, news at 11.

Besides, your attempt at a rebuttal was "well RTD had female characters that dressed all in black and had the depth of a rain puddle, so clearly RTD had the same problem with women that everyone claims Moffat does", which is bollocks, quite frankly. Just because RTD wrote terribly-handled female characters doesn't mean he was operating from the same POV that Steven "Slut It Up" Moffat was.

quote:

Pointing out the flaws in RTD's era doesn't negate the ones in Moffat's run, FWIW. Both RTD and Moffat have written a bunch of crap episodes during their respective runs on DW. In RTD's case, there were some real loving howlers aired under his watch. None of that removes the fact that Moffat has some very real and evident problems with women both on and off the show.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PoshAlligator posted:

I agree that a lot of those female characters have a lot of similarities but the idea of actually getting them mixed up is just bizarre to me. I'd even say it borders on being offensive to the actors.

But I suppose when I watch things I'm often thinking about the context of it, like the specifics of the writing, the actors' performances, rather than just being purely in the fiction itself. I know people who just do that and I suppose it would be easier to mix people up then.

To be clear, I am not saying that I mix them up; I'm saying the writing and direction is uncomfortably similar for them.

Pizdec posted:

Careful bro, that straw man's gonna fall over if you keep building it up.

This is an extremely ironic sentiment coming from you.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

PoshAlligator posted:

I legitimately have some problems with faces (I started watching Doctor Who because I saw the regeneration into the Tenth Doctor and thought it was Callum Blue), so this actually is a problem for me, although not to the extent that I can't distinguish between ANY of them.

Really the only one I'm actually having difficulty with is Missy and this week's bank lady, because of similarities in the ways I do try to identify people. Kavorkian might've been lumped in with them too if it weren't for her eyepatch.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

Kudos to her for playing a teenager so well, though. Hearing her is incredible, it's like they put her into a time capsule and pulled her out when they started doing Big Finish.

Sarah Sutton's young Nyssa is pretty good too. The gobsmaker though is Wendy Padbury. It's uncanny how effortlessly she sounds like 40 years younger self.

Edit:

I don't agree with you on much of the feminism in Doctor Who/Moffat is a misogynist issues, but I absolutely agree with you on this:

Bicyclops posted:

I do not have this difficulty with other programs. The Space Pope or whoever in Time of the Doctor, Ms. Delphox, Missy, Miss Kizlet and Madame Kovarian all have very similar writing with regard to their behavior, wardrobe& makeup , and dialogue. The problem isn't with this thread; it's with the showrunner.

Missy and Delphox were so similar as to make me think they were part of some sort of Easter Egg Bad Wolf pattern we're supposed to be looking for this season. And they are played so OTT they border on camp or parody.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 25, 2014

deadly claris
Jan 5, 2007

M'aiq thinks deadly claris is best partner in crime.
I haven't particularly found the "villainous" women in Who to be all too terribly similar, aside for a particular taste for black clothing and specific makeup. I did find similarities in the way they carried themselves especially (posture.) That is not to say that DW does not have woman problems. There are tropes that DW definitely follows in regard to villainous women (red hair is especially attributed to villainous women, as is black clothing and slick makeup with dark eyeshadow and red lipstick, and the somewhat similar updos) and I would like to see those tropes broken out of. But characterization for each of them is quite different.

Missy, for example, seems exceptionally more unhinged than the others, like she isn't completely there. She half-reads like a fanfiction write-in of a fangirl who's trying too hard to make it seem like she isn't writing herself in. We haven't seen much of her, granted, but what we have seen strikes me as a level of Crazy different from the others. More aloof.

Madame Kovarian is pretty nuts, too, but it's a different brand that Missy. While Missy's about The Promised Land, Tea, and boyfriend Doctors, Kovarian was all about one thing: Destroying the Doctor through any means necessary. She was terrified of him and hated him, because she believed his existence meant the eventual end of the universe - and thus, her own, and that's what drove her psychosis: She was driven by extreme self-preservation. Kovarian found amusement in her taunting of her victims. She was malicious to a fault and showed absolutely no regret for any of the terrible (really, really terrible) acts she committed whatsoever (as far as I remember.) She, like Kizlet, was not above pleading for her life. But her circumstances are different from Kizlet's.

Ms. Kizlet was trapped and misguided, was flashy and arrogant, had a twisted sense of love, and a strange sense of humour. She was also being controlled by outside forces, and wasn't really herself until she was released from that control, at which point we witness her mind reverting to her scared 8-year-old self who only wanted her parents.

Director Karabraxos/Ms. Delphox didn't really bother with any putting large amounts of trust in anyone other than herself, as is evident by her cloning herself because she believed it to be the only way to secure her own security ("If you want something done right, do it yourself" taken to extremes and used from the beginning, rather than as a last-ditch effort to get rid of whatever needs to get out of the way.) She's extremely resourceful in this way (and in others - "everyone has their price",) but also admits to her own faults when she points out the faults of her clones, and has no issues with exterminating those clones when they fail to live up to her standards. She knows that they are her clones. She knows that death by incineration will be painful, and she knows they feel pain. But she does it anyway, and I find a big difference between killing clones of yourself vs. killing allies who are unconnected to you. She is inexplicably cold in this sense, and though that isn’t a new trait in Who villains, I can’t remember another villainous Who woman who has been so cold as to mercilessly kill what amounts to extensions of themselves. She is the ultimate example of a business woman taken to the extreme, driven by a love for money and shinies. Striving for perfection and a Golden Standard in reputation. The Teller is ordered to Soupify a customer’s brain in plain view of other customers, so that she can reassure those customers that she is aiming for nothing short of providing them the safest, most secure banking experience. This is in contrast to a later scene, when Delphox has the Teller, Doctor, and Clara together in her office, away from an audience, she retires the Teller to hibernation and leaves the disposing to other staff. Despite the fact that they did far worse than attempt to deposit counterfeit cash - they broke into her unbreakable bank, and repeatedly evaded getting caught. Unlike Kizlet and Kovarian, she will never plead for her life - and indeed, it isn’t something we see her or her clone do. In fact, when she later calls the Doctor, when she is old, quite visibly aged, and appears to be hooked up to life-sustaining machines, she does not plead for him to save her; she instead asks him to go back and correct a mistake that she made years ago. Not the brain-melting. Not the incinerating of her clones. But the entrapment of the last two of a single species that she not only enslaves for her own gain, but left to die. It’s quite possible that when the Doctor told her that she’d be old and full of regret some day, she already knew that, and the regret may have already started brewing (of course she’d have reasons to hate herself.) Why else would she hold onto his number for so long?

...Sorry, sometimes I type a lot. :(

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Astroman posted:

Missy and Delphox were so similar as to make me think they were part of some sort of Easter Egg Bad Wolf pattern we're supposed to be looking for this season. And they are played so OTT they border on camp or parody.

When I saw the first promotional images of Delphox i immediately thought of Kovarian. The others, not really.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

None of that removes the fact that Moffat has some very real and evident problems with women both on and off the show.

Are there any info links about this? I know he has a fetish for manic pixie dream girls and headmistresses but never heard of his questionable views.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If you look at their character motivations they aren't really similar at all, but they just feel really similar due to the "authoritative but kindof playful" exterior that they all have.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Xachariah posted:

Are there any info links about this? I know he has a fetish for manic pixie dream girls and headmistresses but never heard of his questionable views.

Steven Moffat posted:

There’s this issue you’re not allowed to discuss: that women are needy. Men can go for longer, more happily, without women. That’s the truth. We don’t, as little boys, play at being married – we try to avoid it for as long as possible. Meanwhile women are out there hunting for husbands. The world is vastly counted in favour of men at every level – except if you live in a civilised country and you’re sort of educated and middle-class, because then you’re almost certainly junior in your relationship and in a state of permanent, crippled apology. Your preferences are routinely mocked. There’s a huge, unfortunate lack of respect for anything male.

He later claimed that he was speaking as a character in one of his shows, but it seems unlikely, especially given that he has expressed a number of times how disappointing giving up a bachelor life to live in a "feminized" world is. Also this :rolleyes:

Moffat posted:

I like that Helen Mirren has been saying the next doctor should be a woman. I would like to go on record and say that the queen should be played by a man.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Moffat posted:

I like that Helen Mirren has been saying the next doctor should be a woman. I would like to go on record and say that the queen should be played by a man.

Maybe he actually meant this, and had John Noble in mind:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It certainly would be a bold choice to have a man play Queen Elizabeth II, since he was specifically talking about the movie The Queen in that quote, but it's also such an apples and sledgehammers comparison since the show under his watch has said Time Lords can change their gender between regenerations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The simple fact that he told writers to "slut it up" when it came to episode titles and ideas really tells you all you need to know about Moffat and his views on women.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Well, Elizabeth I was played by a man in the movie Orlando.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The simple fact that he told writers to "slut it up" when it came to episode titles and ideas really tells you all you need to know about Moffat and his views on women.

To be honest, I actually don't think that's too terrible, I mean it's not like he was condemning the behavior he was advocating for his writers and it doesn't really mean anything about his views on women or even sex. I think it says more about his intention for the writing during that season (I believe he said it before series 7). It's part of why a lot of people complained about the pacing of season 7 sometimes. There were times when the BLOCKBUSTER MOVIE... IN 45 MINUTES!! thing worked and was really fun, but a whole season (or even half season) of it was too much.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

RTD and Moffat both write lovely minor characters, news at 11.

Besides, your attempt at a rebuttal was "well RTD had female characters that dressed all in black and had the depth of a rain puddle, so clearly RTD had the same problem with women that everyone claims Moffat does", which is bollocks, quite frankly. Just because RTD wrote terribly-handled female characters doesn't mean he was operating from the same POV that Steven "Slut It Up" Moffat was.
Why? I'm waiting for specific points in how you make the distinction with these specific characters. Because the way I see it, their similarity to each other comes from using a non-gender-specific set of characteristics that are commonly used for villains in media - cold, aloof, calculating, mature, wears black etc. - and if you just cobble together a character from these pieces without spicing them up you end up with characters that are bland and familiar. So I'm trying to work out how exactly people are seeing the exact same patterns and decrying "lazy writing" in regards to one set, and "awful sexism" in regards to the other.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Both RTD and Moffat have written a bunch of crap episodes during their respective runs on DW. In RTD's case, there were some real loving howlers aired under his watch. None of that removes the fact that Moffat has some very real and evident problems with women both on and off the show.
This. This poo poo right here. How? How does that even follow?

Burkion posted:

First, UNIT Lady is not in the running. Like, at all. I mean, I didn't think I'd have to point this out, but the other major thing all of the Moffat women you brought up (specifically the four I know about, and I have only claimed, myself, that Missy and Manager were at all similar though obviously Manager has much smoother skin and I speak more toward their whateverwhocares) is that they are white. She is not, and no one is going to mistake UNIT Lady for any of them.
Okay, I'll send Moffat a memo to make more female villains black which will in no way result in a shitstorm. Well, maybe some other singular distinguishing feature will do. Like an eyepatch or something.

Burkion posted:

Missy, Manager and Kavarion all have virtually interchangeable hair. You could swap those around and no one would notice.

Yvone maybe middle aged, but she has a youth to her that the Moffat women do not tend to have, specifically with her more revealing attire-the Moffat women are all very modestly dressed, which is another thing-though they have different eras of outfits, they all fall in line pretty easily as well.
Missy and Bank Lady, yes. Kovarian has more assymetry to her hair with the single lock thing, and Kizlet's isn't even done up. They really aren't much more similar to each other than RTD's villains, Yvonne excluded.

Yvonne is the odd one out and a great character, but I don't think revealing more skin would go over well judging by this thread. The fact that the outfits are from different eras pretty much means that they don't fall in line easily unless you find it difficult to distinguish Victorian dress from a business suit from a futuristic uniform thing.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The simple fact that he told writers to "slut it up".
So?

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 25, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Pizdec posted:

So I'm trying to work out how exactly people are seeing the exact same patterns and decrying "lazy writing" in regards to one set, and "awful sexism" in regards to the other.

I think part of the issue might be that given some of the things he's said outside of the show... like what Bicyclops posted above, but there's more beyond those two... a lot of people aren't willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Pizdec posted:

This. This poo poo right here. How? How does that even follow?

It follows because you are literally claiming that because RTD did a thing that Moffat is also guilty of, he must be operating from the same mindset that Moffat is, but somehow is given a free pass from claims of sexism and misogyny.

quote:

So I'm trying to work out how exactly people are seeing the exact same patterns and decrying "lazy writing" in regards to one set, and "awful sexism" in regards to the other.

Because RTD was a lazy as poo poo writer, while Moffat is a lazy as poo poo writer who's also made some stupid-rear end comments about women in the press and elsewhere, while RTD has not. HTH

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pizdec, you know, it is possible to disagree that something is sexist without believing that everyone who thinks it is sexist is part of some hive-mind conspiracy to tar and feather popular media figures and then hand them to Anita Sarkeesian for execution or something. It's difficult to engage with someone at all if they keep saying "judging from this thread" and making a shitload of assumptions about what people will or will not take issue with. When you begin your argument by essentially claiming you're persecuted by a bunch of nutbags, you poison the well so effectively, it becomes impossible to even test the waters.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pizdec posted:

Okay, I'll send Moffat a memo to make more female villains black which will in no way result in a shitstorm.

OK, first, I'm pretty much done with this because it's not even my argument and you're dancing around it as deftly as you can.

Second, I'm tackling this in particular because my GOD do you sound like a tool.

Like, let's break it down.

First and foremost? Preeeeeeeetty sure UNIT Lady wasn't a villain. So how that ties into anything, I'm not sure. Second, yes, I would, in fact, like more people of color in starring roles of Doctor Who-even as villains. There is nothing wrong with that. We are also not going back to the bullshit that is That One Episode and if you loving bring it up I will just ignore you entirely because YOU KNOW what people take issue with there.

Third? What the gently caress does that have to do with anything other than you being wrong? Also, fun thing I noticed- most of the RTD women you listed are not, in fact, villains.

Pretty much just two of 'em. Let's go down the list.

Harriet is not a villain, Yvone I would argue is not a villain, UNIT Lady is not a villain, Old Lady is not a villain, just fatpeople lady and the Cyber Queen, and guess what, one of those kinda sorta redeems herself.

Now to be fair, not all of the Moffat ladies are villains either. Space Pope isn't I guess, nor is River. Though they are, again, virtually the same loving character.

The rest are, though Bank Manager lady at least felt guilty in her dying days so 'eh.

So yeah. Stop avoiding the point and bringing up bullshit.

EDIT: MotherFUCK that was a slip up.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Edit: nvm!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

If that's related to mine, yeah, gently caress I don't know. I guess I was so flabbergasted by lumping her in as a villain, and then it being so loving late. Still doesn't explain it though. I think that's enough Who forum for me tonight.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Burkion posted:

If that's related to mine, yeah, gently caress I don't know. I guess I was so flabbergasted by lumping her in as a villain, and then it being so loving late. Still doesn't explain it though. I think that's enough Who forum for me tonight.

No, I read UNIT lady, and was thinking it was the woman from Army of Ghosts/Doomsday... but then I realized that woman is with Torchwood, not UNIT. I was having my own brain problems. Haha.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

No, I read UNIT lady, and was thinking it was the woman from Army of Ghosts/Doomsday... but then I realized that woman is with Torchwood, not UNIT. I was having my own brain problems. Haha.

Watching Torchwood will do that to ya. :v:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

RodShaft posted:

Alright, looks like I'm going to have another 12ish hour drive, so I'm down for some more audio recommendations.

I enjoyed the others well enough. I was fairly impressed with the complexity of the stories without a narrator. I'm used to audio books and the radio plays I've listened to are the Lord of the Rings, and the Hitchhikers Guide series which I believe both have narrators. So it was pretty neat having the doctor explain what's happening to the audience stand-in characters.

Storm Warning/Chimes of Midnight! Chimes of Midnight is the tip-top of the audio iceberg (for me, so far, at least).

Also Davros. Listen to Davros. It's so so so so so so so good.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Burkion posted:

We are also not going back to the bullshit that is That One Episode and if you loving bring it up I will just ignore you entirely because YOU KNOW what people take issue with there.
"YOU KNOW what people take issue with there" was essentialy my argument why more black people as villains would be slippery. I wouldn't mind personally.

Burkion posted:

Third? What the gently caress does that have to do with anything other than you being wrong?
The fact that there's probably a rationale why skin colour isn't used as a distinguishing feature for villains instead of other features (like eyepatches :ssh:).

Burkion posted:

Also, fun thing I noticed- most of the RTD women you listed are not, in fact, villains.
...Yeah?

I wanted to do just a list of villains, but then, as you've noticed, the sample size would be pretty loving small because RTD is sexist probably. So I cheated and included positive characters since that specific point (formal wear evokes authority and black is fashionable, so the pattern repeats) applies similarly to heroes and villains. Sorry if that confused which point I was trying to make.

UNIT Lady is a borderline example, she's not really a villain but she is an antagonistic force in the episode, I figure if Tasha is fair game then so is UNIT Lady.

thexerox123 posted:

I think part of the issue might be that given some of the things he's said outside of the show... like what Bicyclops posted above, but there's more beyond those two... a lot of people aren't willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Okay. But I'm not discussing whether Moffat is sexist, I'm discussing whether the show Doctor Who which he has significant (but not total) control over is sexist. The show which we watch is the combined outcome of the showrunner's vision, his writers, co-writers, directors and the actors they direct, technical limitations, etc. The aspects of the show people are citing as evidence of sexism did not change from when the show was supposedly non-sexist, meaning now the show is 1000% more sexist yet at the same time somehow completely indistinguishable (in these particular aspects), which is just :psyduck:. In fact this means that people would suddenly find the show devoid of sexism if Moffat started writing under a pseudonym (though realistically, the jig would be up the moment the first timeloop appeared).

Now if say Moffat had an obvious Manic Pixie Dream Girl fetish (which he has), and suddenly a disproportionate amount of significant Manic Pixie Dream Girl characters started to appear in the show (which they did), and which didn't gel with the character writing of the show up to that point (they don't), and Moffat made some comments about his Manic Pixie Dream Girl fetish (which I imagine he did at some point), then bringing them into the discussion would have merit. Until the Doctor starts calling Clara a slut and every female character starts acting disturbingly needy, I don't see the point in discussing theoretical sexism in the show based on whatever idiocy Moffat is spouting that particular week.

tl;dr https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_fallacy

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 25, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

(Animated version of the puppet: )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtPtUezpKEs

From the maker of these familiar shorts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWLD_dZUKvk

I feel a little happier about the world knowing there's a puppet of Peter Capaldi in it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pizdec posted:

Until the Doctor starts calling Clara a slut and every female character starts acting disturbingly needy, I don't see the point in discussing theoretical sexism in the show.

:lol: Oh, okay then. And you're accusing people of being polarizing and extremist? Sorry, some of us think the bar can be set slightly lower than that.

Also, factoring context into one's assessment of the intent behind themes in an artistic work is not, in fact, the genetic fallacy. There's a reason On the Waterfront, while very well made, unsettles a lot of people.

(edited to italicize movie title)

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 25, 2014

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

:lol: Oh, okay then. And you're accusing people of being polarizing and extremist? Sorry, some of us think the bar can be set slightly lower than that.

Also, factoring context into one's assessment of the intent behind themes in an artistic work is not, in fact, the genetic fallacy. There's a reason On the Waterfront, while very well made, unsettles a lot of people.
It sure is! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorial_intent

Re: sluts - I was alluding to the specific comments of Moffat that people cited. I realize that it doesn't have to be a 1:1 correspondence, but if Moffat's self-filter or the miasma of TV production manages to sift out the uglier ways he thinks, and if there's nothing solid in the show itself, then maybe, just maybe, the show doesn't have to be sexist by the sole virtue of its creator. I mean if those subtler ways Moffat is influencing our collective minds are "samey villains" and "comments about shoes" than the bar you're talking about might be as well set in the Mariana Trench.

And I'd argue that On the Waterfront is unsettling enough on its own merit and maybe with the historical context. I wouldn't put Doctor Who as it is in the same category in a million years.

Spacedad posted:

I feel a little happier about the world knowing there's a puppet of Peter Capaldi in it.
The puppet looks quite happy too!

Almost... too happy... :ohdear:

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 25, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pizdec posted:

The puppet looks quite happy too!

Almost... too happy... :ohdear:

Don't... blink... :stare:.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just found out that Hulu Plus has, of all things, K-9 and Company. But for the sake of sanity they've done their best to hide it from people by placing it under clips for the new series.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

I just found out that Hulu Plus has, of all things, K-9 and Company. But for the sake of sanity they've done their best to hide it from people by placing it under clips for the new series.

If you're going to take the time to dig for it, then it's on your own head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

It's no Sarah Jane Smith Adventures, but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

• Locked thread