Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

A Bystander posted:

This is really stupid of me to ask, but did you hit Circle to start?

No, I didn't. Maybe that's what I was missing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I never finished the story in P4 Arena, am I correct in understanding that the story mode from 1 is included in Ultimax?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Machine posted:

I never finished the story in P4 Arena, am I correct in understanding that the story mode from 1 is included in Ultimax?

You are incorrect. Ultimax's story mode picks up from where 1 left off but basically summarizes the first game. (Not much happened.)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Isn't there DLC or something that adds the full story mode from 1 in?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
So this guy David in SMT4 is completely overpowered as he casts Blight and Mamudo casually. I'm at level 13 and I'm afraid to cancel the mission in fear of it disappearing as I can't enter the door on Level 5 while it is activated. I am a little overleveled I think and he still owns my rear end, is it basically just spam Zio and pray you don't die?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Toadsniff posted:

So this guy David in SMT4 is completely overpowered as he casts Blight and Mamudo casually. I'm at level 13 and I'm afraid to cancel the mission in fear of it disappearing as I can't enter the door on Level 5 while it is activated. I am a little overleveled I think and he still owns my rear end, is it basically just spam Zio and pray you don't die?

It helps if you have demons with Phys/Dark resistances, but you can cancel the mission and come back later if you want. I forget if that's one of the quests you can lock yourself out of, but either way that's not going to happen for a very long time.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

In Nippon only for now and they haven't announced if it will come over.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Toadsniff posted:

Yes. Just zio him until you get a run where he doesn't use blight or hit anyone important with mamudo. Him and what's behind that door are the first speedbump in the game. You can fuse demons into phys/dark resist like Strange Quark suggested, but by the time you grind out all the parts to put those together you'll be at a level where you can roll over them quickly enough anyway.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

oblomov posted:

In Nippon only for now and they haven't announced if it will come over.

It will come over.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
How's the difficulty/grindiness of Persona Q?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dubious posted:

How's the difficulty/grindiness of Persona Q?

I'd ask the Etrian Odyssey guys about that one. It's not out yet in the west, so aside from those playing the Japanese version there really isn't any telling. It does have a slider from easy or very easy to risky (in which game over is really game over)

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I posted this in the Monster Hunter thread, but it's also relevant here:

http://beanseller.tumblr.com/post/98272755503/beanbeankingdom-shin-megami-tensei-nocturne

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Okay goons I'm on the sixth day of Devil Survivor Overclocked and I was curious which endings allow you to play on the 8th day? I'm under the impression that a couple just end right there on the seventh day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

littleorv posted:

Okay goons I'm on the sixth day of Devil Survivor Overclocked and I was curious which endings allow you to play on the 8th day? I'm under the impression that a couple just end right there on the seventh day.

Basically any one besides Gin or Atsuro goes on to an 8th day

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

littleorv posted:

You get an eighth day for (spoilers just in case) Yuzu's, Naoya/Kaido's and Amane's routes. Gin and Atsuro stop at day 7 and there's a special day 6 ending as well but that's more of a glorified game over than anything.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Dehry posted:

I'd ask the Etrian Odyssey guys about that one. It's not out yet in the west, so aside from those playing the Japanese version there really isn't any telling. It does have a slider from easy or very easy to risky (in which game over is really game over)

It's like a notch above Etrian Odyssey Untold but below Etrian Odyssey 4.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

laplace posted:

It's like a notch above Etrian Odyssey Untold but below Etrian Odyssey 4.

Is this on highest or 2nd above highest level?
Also are we talking about Untold on Expert? I thought the general consensus was that Untold on expert / classic was harder than 4.
4 seems to have a reputation of being the easiest one though I'm not sure how true that really is.

I am a bit uneasy about game over if the main character dies, since one of the few saving graces of EO over SMT difficulty wise is that there's no such feature in it. Maybe it won't be any worse than it is in SMT though.

If there are people here who have played Persona Q in this thread, I am curious about one thing.. do you get all 20 characters available to you at roughly the same time, or do they trickle in one at a time like Persona 3 / 4?

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
I played on normal. I thought Untold was relatively easy compared to 4 -- And while 4 wasn't the hardest game I ever played, it wasn't "easy". I found Untold relatively simple due to everyone having pretty set roles. It did have some difficulty spike enemies though.

I haven't beaten Q. I only played about 6 hours of it. It was decent difficulty-wise.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Wait, you game over if the MC dies in PQ? That's really loving dumb.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Sounds like an SMT game to me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Once a dumb game, always a dumb game, that's the SMT Motto.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beef Waifu posted:

Once a dumb game, always a dumb game, that's the SMT Motto.

At least there's no demon convos

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean you have to coax specific persona out of their DLC Palace with money, so there might as well be.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Another reason for Persona 2 supremacy :smugdog:

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beef Waifu posted:

I mean you have to coax specific persona out of their DLC Palace with money, so there might as well be.

You're joking.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What you didn't know the game has DLC Persona?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think it's like, Thanatos, Kaguya, and Magatsu Izanagi as DLC Persona and then there are five navigator voice packs because that poo poo wasn't obnoxious enough in literally every other Persona game from the past 7 years.

Thrill at a level 92 Magatsu Izanagi that you can buy for $2.50!

EDIT: Hahaha oh man, I forgot about Orpheus Telos, what a lovely Persona design.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can't say that I did. Wasn't rightly expecting it.

Edit: Wait you have to buy thanatos? That's bullshit.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Sounds like an SMT game to me.

It "works" in SMT games but that concept doesn't really fly in EO unless the MCs are really inherently tanky or some poo poo in PQ.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I thought the Aigis and Nanako navigator voice packs for Arena were worth the $1.50 each I picked them up for, and would probably buy either of those as navs for a full RPG like Persona Q. Ideal, of course, would be a Dojima nav pack.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

there are five navigator voice packs because that poo poo wasn't obnoxious enough in literally every other Persona game from the past 7 years.
I thought I might actually get one if it had Koro as a navigator voice. Then I thought: Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

laplace posted:

I played on normal. I thought Untold was relatively easy compared to 4 -- And while 4 wasn't the hardest game I ever played, it wasn't "easy". I found Untold relatively simple due to everyone having pretty set roles. It did have some difficulty spike enemies though.

I haven't beaten Q. I only played about 6 hours of it. It was decent difficulty-wise.

4 isn't easy at all, it's a really difficult game like all the rest in the series... it just seems to have a reputation among fans of the series as being the easiest one of the series relatively speaking. Granted most people who talk this way about it have a pretty annoying macho attitude likely brought on by years of Atlus Stockholm syndrome.

Anyway, Untold on normal should be easier than 4 on normal, so that clears up my question. Untold expert is considered harder than 4 so that was my confusion.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

From what I have heard, this is only true on the hardest difficulty level. Apparently the hardest level also has a "you can't run away from FOEs" rule so I am not entirely sure if I want to use it.
And again it's the standard in every recent SMT game except SMT4 (and maybe DDS, I forget about that one?) so actually PQ on every difficulty except hardest is more lenient than SMT in that regard.
My only worry is that while EO doesn't have the commonplace instant-death attacks like SMT does, your characters die a lot more from regular attacks in it..and with it being a hybrid game with SMT/Persona it might bring in the instant death element as well.
No "game over on MC death" will ever be as bad as in the original Persona 3 though, where you couldn't control anyone else and there were tons of enemies that charmed or confused everyone.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

asvodel posted:

No "game over on MC death" will ever be as bad as in the original Persona 3 though, where you couldn't control anyone else and there were tons of enemies that charmed or confused everyone.

Did we ever get an explanation for why the didn't let us simply control our drat party members in the original P3/FES?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

To make them seem more like actual people, rather than extensions of your will. And I really doubt the light/dark instant death spells won't be in PQ.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

To make them seem more like actual people

This is the dumbest loving excuse for anything. If you want to make your characters seem like actual people you do so through actual character building, not lovely CPUs that get charmed easily and only follow a certain set of guidelines.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I thought it was a really cool design decision that really helped merge narrative and gameplay and all that.

For like two hours. Then I got tired of all my allies sandbagging me all the time.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Beef Waifu posted:

This is the dumbest loving excuse for anything. If you want to make your characters seem like actual people you do so through actual character building, not lovely CPUs that get charmed easily and only follow a certain set of guidelines.
Mitsuru trying to charm enemies that are weak to ice and about to die is supposed to tell you about her deep psychological issue of being an idiot AI.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

asvodel posted:

My only worry is that while EO doesn't have the commonplace instant-death attacks like SMT does, your characters die a lot more from regular attacks in it..and with it being a hybrid game with SMT/Persona it might bring in the instant death element as well.

Hey buddy, hit me up at the Hall of Darkness. I've got some neat stone statues to show you!

EO4 is probably regarded as easier than other EO games because of stuff like having no real bad skills and the fact that its postgame is the most doable of the lot. One of the hardest bosses in the game is also surprisingly susceptible to instant-kill attacks, though I don't know if that's unique to 4 or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
There's also stuff like giving you an Easy mode, and in 3 of the 5 story dungeons they give you an extra party member whose skills are specifically designed to help you with that area's boss and dungeon.