Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Inside Out Mom posted:

Does anyone play Don't Starve on PS4? I have it and love it on PC but the prospect of chillin on my couch and getting my spirit crushed sounds like fun. I'm wondering if there are any big changes and if its harder to place things with the controller.

I've played a bunch of both, but other than the "pick up one thing but not another that's close to it" issue I prefer the controller. The game pauses while you much around in inventory which is a nice feature.

It's really fun on Vita too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Dewgy posted:

Yeah honestly after one go with a walkthrough on-hand, P.T. is one of my favorite games on the system now. That hallway just looks so drat good, and the sound and environmental design is incredible, but those puzzles are absurd. Jarith? Really? Where the gently caress did that come from???
That guy's crazy conspiracy video is funny but it's mostly just crazy. Any hard J sound works. It's still absurd but it's something people can and did solve by complete accident, which is pretty great.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Surlaw posted:

That guy's crazy conspiracy video is funny but it's mostly just crazy. Any hard J sound works. It's still absurd but it's something people can and did solve by complete accident, which is pretty great.

Awwwww man, lame. It's pretty consistent though! I've gotten that way to work every time. Is there any explanation for that at least, or just Kojima being screwy as always?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Oh whoa the game's actually named P.T. I've been wondering what you guys were talking about forever..

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funny thing is that Kojima has come out and said that people beat PT way faster than he thought they would. It was supposed to kind of build hype up over time, instead it didn't even last a day.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

The funny thing is that Kojima has come out and said that people beat PT way faster than he thought they would. It was supposed to kind of build hype up over time, instead it didn't even last a day.

Well, he expected people to pool their experiences and discover how to solve the puzzle over the internet over time, and technically that's totally what happened. He just didn't expect people to randomly trigger the phone by pure accident.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

BreakAtmo posted:

Well, he expected people to pool their experiences and discover how to solve the puzzle over the internet over time, and technically that's totally what happened. He just didn't expect people to randomly trigger the phone by pure accident.

Too many monkeys, too many Playstations. No secret is safe.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Dewgy posted:

Awwwww man, lame. It's pretty consistent though! I've gotten that way to work every time. Is there any explanation for that at least, or just Kojima being screwy as always?

Even if there's a specific word that PT is trying to detect, it's probably liberal about what it accepts to account for different kinds of voices and accents.

muscles like this? posted:

I honestly feel bad for the guy because of this. That ending reveal would have had a ton more impact if it had been the culmination of a week or more of frustrated internet sleuthing.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

El Hefe posted:

what game should I buy where the graphics makes me go "holy poo poo this is next gen"

As other people have said, Uncharted 4 will probably be the first truly WOW game on the next gen. ND pretty much sets the bar on how good a (console) game can look with each game they release. The Last of Us was the best looking game for the PS3 and I've no doubt ND will do that again with the PS4 generation of games when all is said and done.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

acksplode posted:

I honestly feel bad for the guy because of this. That ending reveal would have had a ton more impact if it had been the culmination of a week or more of frustrated internet sleuthing.

The collective patience for that kind of thing is not longer than three days.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
There's a realistic possibility that Kojima, the guy who fucks with his fans heads constantly, only said that because it makes you feel good to hear. "Wow! Good job guys, I'm impressed! Now I can talk about this a little. "

Reive
May 21, 2009

BreakAtmo posted:

What's funny is that kinda isn't what happened, it was basically just one gal and a random chatter on twitch who found it by complete accident, there's an archive somewhere.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Reive posted:

What's funny is that kinda isn't what happened, it was basically just one gal and a random chatter on twitch who found it by complete accident, there's an archive somewhere.

Really? I know SoapyWarPig, the girl from the UK, was the first to get the trailer, but I thought there were a bunch more people who did it as well, with none of them knowing precisely how. To my knowledge, The Grate Debate video was the first time anyone produced a real method that had a logic to it (except maybe the Jarith thing), and that was a while after the release.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

el oso posted:

As other people have said, Uncharted 4 will probably be the first truly WOW game on the next gen. ND pretty much sets the bar on how good a (console) game can look with each game they release. The Last of Us was the best looking game for the PS3 and I've no doubt ND will do that again with the PS4 generation of games when all is said and done.

I dunno, the Order is really visually impressive if nothing else. And Driveclub keeps looking great anytime I see it.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Hi thread,

Bought a PS4 over the weekend and I'm still getting acquainted with it. To anyone currently on the fence: I hated shelving my PS3 and all my games, but I'm happy as a pig in poo poo with my purchase so far; this thing is dead silent, has some fun-rear end games, and using the DS4s is simply a joy. Throw a Vita in the mix and it's even crazier - I can't believe I have a copy of Rogue Legacy that I can continue during my commute.

Having said all that, I do have a few lingering questions that neither Googling nor reading the OP and the last 50+ pages of this thread have solved:

- I wanted to upgrade the HD right out of the box, so I bought the drive detailed in this article and tried to swap the stock drive out for it. For some reason, though, when I'd loaded the new drive into the PS4 and tried to boot it up, I'd get an error message telling me that the PS4 cannot load and to connect a DS4 via USB; when I replaced the stock drive, however, the PS4 instantly started operating as normal. Am I missing a step or something here, or might I have gotten a bad drive?

I'm specifically wondering about installing stuff from a USB drive mentioned here - as I recall, when I upgraded the drive on my PS3, all I did was remove the old one, screw in the new one, plug everything back in, and start re-downloading stuff, so I just want to double-check before I do something stupid.

- I bought a second DualShock, but I can only get one of them to register with my actual PS4. I've tried connecting the second one to both ports on the console using the cord Sony gave me and pressing the reset button on the back, but no dice. I'm sure the controller is fully charged; I just can't figure out what else to do here.

- As I understand it, the reason why I can't get a native HBO Go app on my PS4 (or my Windows 8 gaming HTPC or my Wii U, for that matter) is because Microsoft locked up the rights for the One. Any hope of getting a PS4 app any time soon?

- I recently visited a friend who has an XBOne and was thoroughly impressed by the voice commands. How good is the PS4 camera's microphone? I'd be interested in picking one up just to basically be able to holler out voice commands to my system from maybe 10 feet away. I know the system will never be as refined or smooth as the one on Xbox, but would that be doable? Also how could the voice commands be improved through software (if at all)?

- Has anyone gotten their PS4 to work with a Logitech Harmony remote yet? The old Logitech PS3 remote adapter doesn't work with the PS4 and I will never turn down an opportunity to use my One.

- So I bought one of those German steelbook TLOU LEs; I figured it would be cool to have an awesome version of such a good game. Given that it's a German game being played on a US account, what will/won't I be able to do (or, if this would be a more productive phrasing, what do I need to do to get the most out of this game from another region)?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did you do the drive swap before booting your Ps4 for the first time?

It doesn't like that.

There's no Harmony support yet.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

trdn89 posted:

- I recently visited a friend who has an XBOne and was thoroughly impressed by the voice commands. How good is the PS4 camera's microphone? I'd be interested in picking one up just to basically be able to holler out voice commands to my system from maybe 10 feet away. I know the system will never be as refined or smooth as the one on Xbox, but would that be doable? Also how could the voice commands be improved through software (if at all)?

It doesn't use the camera for voice commands, its the microphone thats in the controller. If you use a pair of headphones/earbuds with a mic on it, you can just say it in your normal tone and it'll work. I've never really explored, but from my own experiences and based on what I've heard, for turning games on and off it actually works better than the One.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

trdn89 posted:

- So I bought one of those German steelbook TLOU LEs; I figured it would be cool to have an awesome version of such a good game. Given that it's a German game being played on a US account, what will/won't I be able to do (or, if this would be a more productive phrasing, what do I need to do to get the most out of this game from another region)?

- I don't think you specifically need the camera for voice commands, I think you can use the mic that came with the system. You can probably find a list of commands somewhere online.

- As far as I know, the game should run fine and you shouldn't have any issues playing online. I assume the English language tracks are present? The Euro version has some censoring for the multiplayer executions though although it's not a huge deal.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Fulchrum posted:

I dunno, the Order is really visually impressive if nothing else. And Driveclub keeps looking great anytime I see it.

Sure - visually impressive but now WOW. There's a much smaller sense of graphical improvement between the PS3->PS4 than there was between PS1->PS2 or PS2->PS3 and I think it's going to be a while before we all see something really spectacular.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I can't wait for PS5.

Reive
May 21, 2009

el oso posted:

Sure - visually impressive but now WOW. There's a much smaller sense of graphical improvement between the PS3->PS4 than there was between PS1->PS2 or PS2->PS3 and I think it's going to be a while before we all see something really spectacular.

Honestly I find the things we have NOW spectacular, I think people's standards are too high for graphical leaps.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Did you do the drive swap before booting your Ps4 for the first time?

It doesn't like that.

Nope, booted the PS4 & set up a bunch of poo poo yesterday; the replacement drive arrived today and I didn't start running into problems until I started swapping it. I'm going to give this step-by-step guide from the OP a chance tomorrow once I can pick up a free USB key from work; the OS-install-from-USB may be the missing step.

Aphrodite posted:

There's no Harmony support yet.

Balls. Every other remote in history is a distant, distant second to the One.

Fulchrum posted:

It doesn't use the camera for voice commands, its the microphone thats in the controller. If you use a pair of headphones/earbuds with a mic on it, you can just say it in your normal tone and it'll work. I've never really explored, but from my own experiences and based on what I've heard, for turning games on and off it actually works better than the One.

Spalec posted:

- I don't think you specifically need the camera for voice commands, I think you can use the mic that came with the system. You can probably find a list of commands somewhere online.

Yup, I've been using the mic on the Gold headset and it seems to work pretty well as far as launching stuff (although I'm still getting used to the syntax - this is the official list in case anyone else needs it). As I recall my buddy's XB1 working, though, he had a lot more control over Hulu or Netflix or other media apps; if I could control this kind of stuff by yelling at my PS4 (preferably without having to count on my headset being charged) I would be elated.

Spalec posted:

- As far as I know, the game should run fine and you shouldn't have any issues playing online. I assume the English language tracks are present? The Euro version has some censoring for the multiplayer executions though although it's not a huge deal.

This all sounds good to me - thank you! I played a sliver of TLOU on a buddy's system and thought "nope, this is something I need to own so that I can play it on my schedule," and then of course there's that steelbook (a legitimate contender for the title of "most appealing packaging format since the vinyl LP" IMO). I've heard multiplayer for TLOU is unbelievable so I'm looking forward to playing around with that too; it's hard to believe the removal of a couple of execution animations will break a mode about which I've never heard anyone breathe a discouraging word.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Reive posted:

Honestly I find the things we have NOW spectacular, I think people's standards are too high for graphical leaps.

I would rather see designers stop trying to be photorealistic and use art and style to do amazing things we haven't seen. This generation won't totally close the "looks actually real" gap, so just make things look amazing.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
In other words, make a goddamn Valkyria Chronicles 4.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

And a brand new Jet Grind Radio. Same aesthetic, but new levels designed to incorporate more refined gameplay mechanics from post-2001 games about skating.

In an unrelated discussion, I would kill for a Vita version of either skate or THPS HD (i.e. the most recent update with manuals).

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

trdn89 posted:

Hi thread,

Bought a PS4 over the weekend and I'm still getting acquainted with it. To anyone currently on the fence: I hated shelving my PS3 and all my games, but I'm happy as a pig in poo poo with my purchase so far; this thing is dead silent, has some fun-rear end games, and using the DS4s is simply a joy. Throw a Vita in the mix and it's even crazier - I can't believe I have a copy of Rogue Legacy that I can continue during my commute.

Having said all that, I do have a few lingering questions that neither Googling nor reading the OP and the last 50+ pages of this thread have solved:

- I wanted to upgrade the HD right out of the box, so I bought the drive detailed in this article and tried to swap the stock drive out for it. For some reason, though, when I'd loaded the new drive into the PS4 and tried to boot it up, I'd get an error message telling me that the PS4 cannot load and to connect a DS4 via USB; when I replaced the stock drive, however, the PS4 instantly started operating as normal. Am I missing a step or something here, or might I have gotten a bad drive?

I'm specifically wondering about installing stuff from a USB drive mentioned here - as I recall, when I upgraded the drive on my PS3, all I did was remove the old one, screw in the new one, plug everything back in, and start re-downloading stuff, so I just want to double-check before I do something stupid.

- I bought a second DualShock, but I can only get one of them to register with my actual PS4. I've tried connecting the second one to both ports on the console using the cord Sony gave me and pressing the reset button on the back, but no dice. I'm sure the controller is fully charged; I just can't figure out what else to do here.

- As I understand it, the reason why I can't get a native HBO Go app on my PS4 (or my Windows 8 gaming HTPC or my Wii U, for that matter) is because Microsoft locked up the rights for the One. Any hope of getting a PS4 app any time soon?

- Has anyone gotten their PS4 to work with a Logitech Harmony remote yet? The old Logitech PS3 remote adapter doesn't work with the PS4 and I will never turn down an opportunity to use my One.

The HBO thing is because HBO apparently does not care about digital distribution and is dragging their rear end creating a PS4 app; their PS3 one was announced 1+ year before it was released, and the PS4 version has been "coming really soon" since that released in like March. Unfortunately, if you have Comcast that won't matter for now as Comcast is saying it's REALLY hard to flick on access for a new platform like the PS3 or PS4 but you can watch HBO through Comcast instead!

Moral of the story: Comcast is a bad company.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Fulchrum posted:

I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but the VC team (or at least members from it) are busy making a free-to-play microtransaction JRPG for Vita and smartphones right now. It's gonna be a long, long road to get any kind of VC game from them.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

timeandtide posted:

The HBO thing is because HBO apparently does not care about digital distribution and is dragging their rear end creating a PS4 app; their PS3 one was announced 1+ year before it was released, and the PS4 version has been "coming really soon" since that released in like March. Unfortunately, if you have Comcast that won't matter for now as Comcast is saying it's REALLY hard to flick on access for a new platform like the PS3 or PS4 but you can watch HBO through Comcast instead!

Moral of the story: Comcast is a bad company.

Thankfully I have Time Warner (first time anyone's ever said that phrase), which seems to play nice at least as far as letting me sign in through Chrome on my HTPC. Still pining for an app that'll let me enter my login info once and never again; if only my AppleTV hadn't shat the bed.

In other news, my DirecTV guy comes tomorrow; fingers crossed that he can't get a signal and has to give me a voucher for Sunday Ticket instead.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

trdn89 posted:

Thankfully I have Time Warner (first time anyone's ever said that phrase), which seems to play nice at least as far as letting me sign in through Chrome on my HTPC. Still pining for an app that'll let me enter my login info once and never again; if only my AppleTV hadn't shat the bed.

In other news, my DirecTV guy comes tomorrow; fingers crossed that he can't get a signal and has to give me a voucher for Sunday Ticket instead.

Is that how it works with Sunday Ticket? I thought they just took your word for it, given you could be renting somewhere that you don't have permission to have a satellite, or whatever-- regardless of signal strength in your area.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
From what they explained to me, they can't give you a voucher to get Sunday Ticket without a TV subscription unless receiving a DirecTV signal from your home is physically impossible. They're still gonna send a truck out to check. Given that the terms of my lease specifically forbid any sort of installation on the property itself (including on the balcony) or modification to the building (i.e. drilling a hole through for a cable), I've been praying to the karma gods this week.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

This is going to sound really weird but both my PS3 and PS4 stopped outputting video signals to my tv at the same exact moment tonight, I played my PS3 for several hours, them my PS4 for several more past midnight, then turned the PS4 off and went back to the PS3 and no signal. Then tried my PS4 and no signal.

My PS plus subscription lapsed around midnight because I forgot to pay, so did Sony basically prevent me from turning on my consoles? They're working now, it seems.

Also, it kinda sucks that they won't let you use a PS plus promo code even after your subscription expires.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Holy crap pt is so scary

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

second-hand smegma posted:

This is going to sound really weird but both my PS3 and PS4 stopped outputting video signals to my tv at the same exact moment tonight, I played my PS3 for several hours, them my PS4 for several more past midnight, then turned the PS4 off and went back to the PS3 and no signal. Then tried my PS4 and no signal.

My PS plus subscription lapsed around midnight because I forgot to pay, so did Sony basically prevent me from turning on my consoles? They're working now, it seems.

Also, it kinda sucks that they won't let you use a PS plus promo code even after your subscription expires.

Have you tried the HDMI cables on anything else? Made sure neither got loose?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Almost certainly some HDMI wackiness.

el oso posted:

PS2--ps3 was about the same or less than the current gen I'd say. New consoles haven't looked mind blowingly better than the last since the Dreamcast really. Up until then there was always a huge leap that just doesn't happen instantly anymore and it hasn't for like 15 years.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Fulchrum posted:

Have you tried the HDMI cables on anything else? Made sure neither got loose?

No, it was weird. Both systems stopped outputting video at the same time, separate HDMI cables. I restarted both several times and no video, even booted with the video reset trick. At that time I couldn't log in to my PS account on PC either.

20 minutes later, everything was back to normal.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

PS2--ps3 was about the same or less than the current gen I'd say. New consoles haven't looked mind blowingly better than the last since the Dreamcast really. Up until then there was always a huge leap that just doesn't happen instantly anymore and it hasn't for like 15 years.
And it's not likely to happen again, I don't think. Moore's Law is quickly defeated by the sharply diminishing emotional returns of increasing graphic detail.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
For me it's mostly about load times, frame rates (more stability than flat out maximum) and ease of internet connectivity from here on out.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

For me it's mostly about load times, frame rates (more stability than flat out maximum) and ease of internet connectivity from here on out.

I'm in it for the digital media stores!

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

No, it was weird. Both systems stopped outputting video at the same time, separate HDMI cables. I restarted both several times and no video, even booted with the video reset trick. At that time I couldn't log in to my PS account on PC either.

20 minutes later, everything was back to normal.

Is your TV hooked up to the internet/a 'smart' tv? I had some weirdness a couple weeks ago where all of the sudden, the TV stopped accepting any remote commands, the physical buttons on the TV itself were unresponsive. I couldn't even turn the TV off short of pulling the plug, which I almost did until I saw a small window appear on the screen that a firmware update had just completed.

Just a guess, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

acksplode posted:

And it's not likely to happen again, I don't think. Moore's Law is quickly defeated by the sharply diminishing emotional returns of increasing graphic detail.

The last gen kind of had their defining moments with games like Gears of War, MGS4 and Uncharted that came out a while after the systems were released and eventually kind of set the bar how good last gen games were going to look for the most part.

I think people are still under the impression that someones going to "break the code and figure out how to harness the power of the PS4" or something, but honestly I think games on PS4 are going to eventually look better due to developer creativity not some perceived untapped hardware. It's funny how many people are saying PT is so next gen looking or whatever. It's a somewhat realistic looking hallway. How could that have not existed on PS3 in a slightly blurrier version?

Games just look good now and they have for years. We are never going to see them jump from a SNES to an N64 again. Everything is just tiny improvements.

• Locked thread