Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

goldenoreos posted:

Starting one and having decent advertising for the club should get you an audience of some sort. I feel like every college has at least five people who care about comics in some way.

Counterpoint: I usually don't want to be associated with three of the other four people in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

goldenoreos posted:

Starting one and having decent advertising for the club should get you an audience of some sort. I feel like every college has at least five people who care about comics in some way.

Sounds about right. I can count on one hand the amount of people I know that might be interested, but it could be a nice, comfortable little group. My fiance(goes to a different school) is in an anime club that's the opposite, tons of members, lots of events. I'd probably prefer a size like the former. More personal and all that.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 25, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Literally The Worst posted:

If the genders were flipped and you said that you'd have people crawling up your rear end, and rightly so. But because this is a guy and he posted it on the internet and said her name he's not a Strong Abuse Survivor, he's just some guy who might be making it up but you're totally not saying he's lying he just MIGHT be lying. It's some gross bullshit and I hate it.

Also this, this right here, this is my point exactly.

I'm not saying men aren't abused by women, but gamersgate was an attack on all women that has lasted several weeks and Brian Wood's "indiscretions" lasted less than a week as twitter trend.

Maybe I need to re-read his screed, but it mostly sounded like being dumb and in a lovely relationship, which sucks and I feel for the dude, but there's abuse and there's abuse, and what he describes isn't the later.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm glad you're here to determine when abuse is worth being upset about or otherwise legitimate. Also I'm glad that you keep going back to "but that has nothing to do with gamergate" like I ever said it did.

Seriously though gently caress that "there's abuse and then there's abuse" noise and gently caress you for saying it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sarchasm posted:

I would never argue that journalism needs to be objective and soulless, but a lot of what you're describing here is, to me, why enthusiast press across all mediums sometimes reads a bit clique-y and softball. I'd like a little more distance between creators and critics/bloggers, but maybe that's just me? I'd sacrifice daily updates on Marvel's upcoming films and exclusive trailers for upcoming videogames for that in a heartbeat.

Which is problem number one with any kind of enthusiast press: the people who go for it aren't willing to walk away from those puff-pieces, softball interviews, and exclusive looks at what's coming up. It's the access that brings in the bulk of the readers, not the quality of content.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

goldenoreos posted:

This isn't related to this gate stuff, but I've wanted to know if anyone on here has ever been a comic book president before in their college? I was wondering because I became the president of my college's comic club not too long ago.

After wading through about 4 new pages of some bullshit controversy I got to say that this is the thing that caught my interest (and is comicbook related!). Great job on getting the presedency. Best of luck organising. If there is enough interest you should see if there are any local creators in town who would be willing to come by and give a small Q&A for you guys. Also check out the college library's graphic novel collection and make recommendations on books they should get.

edit: some other ideas is having events like comparing movies vs. original comics.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Madkal posted:

After wading through about 4 new pages of some bullshit controversy I got to say that this is the thing that caught my interest (and is comicbook related!). Great job on getting the presedency. Best of luck organising. If there is enough interest you should see if there are any local creators in town who would be willing to come by and give a small Q&A for you guys. Also check out the college library's graphic novel collection and make recommendations on books they should get.

edit: some other ideas is having events like comparing movies vs. original comics.

About two years ago the club had a graduate from our college do a speech once considering he's the writer behind that Batman and Psychology book. I'd love to get another speaker, but we don't actually have a budget so that will make things difficult.

I've also always wanted to do specific discussion about certain film adaptations. Specifically my dream for this year is to get people to see Batman and Robin, and then discuss whether it succeeded or failed as a batman adaptation.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Idran posted:

That's not a great example, because yeah a lot of people call out Comics Journal, Newsarama, and most of the rest of the comics press out on how softball they are towards the Big Two, especially given that both companies have a policy of shutting out any comics press that doesn't softball them, both for editorial and creative staff. A lot of it on SA.

Your overall point still stands, but it's a legitimate problem in comics press because most comics media can't actually do anything that's the slightest bit challenging towards DC or Marvel without losing all access to them.

The Comics Journal softballing Big Two? You are probably confusing it with CBR. TCJ only turns a blind eye to Fantagraphics for obvious reasons and there a fuckload of people in the industry who can give Gary Groth poo poo if he does anything slimy.

Asking entertainment journalists to be less chummy with creators and companies is useless - they can't get into anything without being on good terms with them. If you don't like the sucking up to Big Two or Image, you have the aforementioned TCJ and the network of altcomics blogs (most of which have switched to tumblr because modern times etc) so you can shield yourself from Marvel/DC/Image advertisement and enjoy another perspective.

Comics industry is small enough to actually affect it with personal effort, unlike games, where there is an iron hold of IGN and millions of marketing dollars that can crush any opposition. Still, there are websites where you can easily get less AAA-biased coverage without daily updates on Destiny or Ubisoft franchises, they will never be #1 and thats alright, just ask the movie buffs. The problem on that front with games is the limitations of the medium that don't offer much middle ground between spectacle and artistic effort, the non-existence of respectable festivals or award institutions and no tradition of academic criticism. This is the foundation that the alternative press should be built on and I think at this moment it is kind of a lost cause for games.

If your main concern with either industry is the prevalence of progressive/SJ perspectives, then tough luck, you are on the wrong side of history and neither the big money or smalltime bloggers are going to give a poo poo about you, get back to your AmazingAtheist subscription.

Literally The Worst posted:

I also hate the accompanying implication that he made that post specifically for revenge and to incite the harassment campaign. But I can't make this argument without people calling me a pile of poo poo who supports harassment etc etc so whatever.

Dude know a generic sadbrains post when you see it. Decent people don't air this kind of dirty laundry on Games subforum or 4chan, they lock it in the places where they can get support, not gather an angry mob (who, predictably, and the fucker should've known that, only cared that she slept around with people, not that she allegedly abused the poor sob). His further participation in IRC is also damning and no amount of "i only wanted wuuustice and honesty" can change that.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Was Taters posted:

Shitposting on SA? It's more common than you think!

It has gotten harder to have decent discussions on the various subforums. This one tends to be pretty good tho - thx mods.

No kidding. I may not understand Waterhaul's hate towards Marvel movies whenever they're mentioned, but I love how you mod this forum. Thank you!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

fatherboxx posted:

Dude know a generic sadbrains post when you see it. Decent people don't air this kind of dirty laundry on Games subforum or 4chan, they lock it in the places where they can get support, not gather an angry mob (who, predictably, and the fucker should've known that, only cared that she slept around with people, not that she allegedly abused the poor sob). His further participation in IRC is also damning and no amount of "i only wanted wuuustice and honesty" can change that.

"I felt it was important that the truth be told in a fair and impartial way, and that's why I went to 4chan."

Look, I have zero interest in making GBS threads on 4chan - several 4chan boards have plenty of cool people making cool posts, and good for them - but it's what it is. I would no more expect fair-minded social justice from 4chan than I would expect compassion for the destitute from the modern Republican Party or tips on how to make a great steak from a collective of vegans.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Idran posted:

That's not a great example, because yeah a lot of people call out Comics Journal, Newsarama, and most of the rest of the comics press out on how softball they are towards the Big Two, especially given that both companies have a policy of shutting out any comics press that doesn't softball them, both for editorial and creative staff. A lot of it on SA.

Your overall point still stands, but it's a legitimate problem in comics press because most comics media can't actually do anything that's the slightest bit challenging towards DC or Marvel without losing all access to them.
Comics Journal has made it a point to be a pointless rear end in a top hat to "The Big Two" for about twenty five years now, which is kind of the opposite problem, since they're willing to call out Marvel or DC when there's a legitimate problem but it's largely ignored because they spent the 1980s and early 1990s and beyond going "WHO GIVES A gently caress ABOUT GAY OL' SUPERMAN ALSO gently caress THE SUBLITERATES THAT WRITE THAT BULLSHIT ANY FAN OF THAT NEEDS TO DIE FAST EVER NOTICE HOW SPIDER-MAN'S WEBS LOOK LIKE JIZZ ALSO THE HERNANDEZ BROS TOTALLY RULE"

I mean the last two things are true, but still.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 25, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I think what #comicgate is trying to be, and how it is similar to #gamergate, is that it's trying to harness existing anger to generate a backlash against what they term "Social Justice Warrior" or "SJW" criticism of comics

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

fatherboxx posted:

The Comics Journal softballing Big Two? You are probably confusing it with CBR. TCJ only turns a blind eye to Fantagraphics for obvious reasons and there a fuckload of people in the industry who can give Gary Groth poo poo if he does anything slimy.

Edge & Christian posted:

Comics Journal has made it a point to be a pointless rear end in a top hat to "The Big Two" for about twenty five years now, which is kind of the opposite problem, since they're willing to call out Marvel or DC when there's a legitimate problem but it's largely ignored because they spent the 1980s and early 1990s and beyond going "WHO GIVES A gently caress ABOUT GAY OL' SUPERMAN ALSO gently caress THE SUBLITERATES THAT WRITE THAT BULLSHIT ANY FAN OF THAT NEEDS TO DIE FAST EVER NOTICE HOW SPIDER-MAN'S WEBS LOOK LIKE JIZZ ALSO THE HERNANDEZ BROS TOTALLY RULE"

I mean the last two things are true, but still.

Ugh, you're right, I was thinking of CBR, not TCJ. Stupid mixup to make; my mistake there.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Oh my God I didn't know what comicgate was but now I do and if this is what it's come to then please just shut down the whole goddamn internet I just can't take dumb nerds anymore #InternetGate

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
One of the people in those screenshots has spent weeks harassing goon voidburger on twitter because of gamergate bullshit. nerds are really cool, healthy people about their hobbies

e:

KoldPT fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 25, 2014

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I legitimately cannot tell whether they're criticizing Bengamezhi or if they're appropriating a Malcolm X quote to support it because if it's the latter they're the most idiotic motherfucker I have ever seen.

fake edit: looked at their twitter. :stonk:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I love Ken Lowry's tweet buried in the bottom there. If people are legitimately concerned about censorship in comic books then the CBLDF should be richer than a small country, right?

Oh wait no because it's never about artistic integrity or publishers taking a stand, it's about Social Justice Wizards spoiling all the fun comic books objectify men too women wear revealing clothing in real life it's just fiction it's not real get over it if you want diversity in comics then stop complaining and make them yourselves m'lady *tips hat*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is this just how nerds are going to be from now on?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

Is this just how nerds are going to be from now on?

It's like the Republicans in Congress. They've decided their standard tactic will be never to admit error and never to back down. :patriot:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So did you guys see the "cosplay is killing comic conventions" article?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

zoux posted:

So did you guys see the "cosplay is killing comic conventions" article?

You mean the cosplay is killing comic cons HEADLINE? Rich's publication is trash and slapped a sensationalist headline on a pretty calm piece. Rich, your poo poo is trash.

The lady is complaining that it's not feasible for anyone less than A list to make money by going to a con anymore. SHe doesn't cite cosplayers as the cause, she notes them as a symptom: people are going to cons to be seen, not to see things. It's a big ol party and the cons have adapted to what non-comics readers want to do, while older or lesser-known comics talent are finding it's harder to do the same. Sure she's annoyed about it, but she's not going 'drat dressup people are spoiling poo poo!'

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

WickedHate posted:

How hosed up gaming journalism was in general that was just kicked off by the poo poo with Quinn. It's not like this stuff was just quietly accepted before, this was just the biggest outbreak of people organizing against it.

It wasn't just kicked off by Quinn though it was kicked off by a bunch of conservative neocons. Remember it was Mr. DARPA IS INFILITRATING THE GAMING INDUSTRY who actually coined the term.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Was Taters posted:

You mean the cosplay is killing comic cons HEADLINE? Rich's publication is trash and slapped a sensationalist headline on a pretty calm piece. Rich, your poo poo is trash.

The lady is complaining that it's not feasible for anyone less than A list to make money by going to a con anymore. SHe doesn't cite cosplayers as the cause, she notes them as a symptom: people are going to cons to be seen, not to see things. It's a big ol party and the cons have adapted to what non-comics readers want to do, while older or lesser-known comics talent are finding it's harder to do the same. Sure she's annoyed about it, but she's not going 'drat dressup people are spoiling poo poo!'

quote:

I have slowly come realize that in this selfie-obsessed, Instagram Era, cosplay is the new focus of these conventions–seeing and being seen, like some giant masquerade party. Conventions are no longer shows about commerce, product launches, and celebrating the people who created this genre in the first place. I’ve seen it first-hand – the uber-famous artist who traveled all of the way from Japan, sitting at Comic-Con, drawing as no one even paid attention to him, while the cosplayers held up floor traffic and fans surround the cosplayers–rather than the famed industry household name – to pose for selfies.
No, I think she's saying that cosplayers are a major contributor to what she perceives as the less-than-A-list getting pushed out.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
No, literally she's citing them as a symptom of a change at comic cons.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't read it that way.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Not clicking on bleedingcool.com is a small step to improving comics industry coverage!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah, I read it as her focusing on cosplay in particular. She lists off other factors like the rampant price gouging but makes it pretty clear that mainstream conventions are going down the tubes because people are attending for the other fans.

Which I don't know how true that is because there's a lot of factors at play here. I can only speak from experience but I don't go to cons to buy books. I can get those online for a fraction of the price. I go for original art and pages. I've dropped upwards to $200 for original art at a con. I remember one year at ECCC Scott Morse was doing $100 paintings and that guy had to have knocked out 10 in a single day without selling any books.

I can't say this as fact but if you can't offer anything other than strictly merchandise conventions probably aren't for you. I'm not familiar with her husband's work but they may have made more than $20 if he was there doing commissions.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I'd imagine that part of it is also that there are a hell of a lot of cons nowadays.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

I'd imagine that part of it is also that there are a hell of a lot of cons nowadays.

But con attendance is up overall. There are more cons and more people attending all of them.

But creators are still bringing truckloads of merchandise you can get off there website. What fan of yours doesn't already have the book you're trying to sell?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

al-azad posted:

Yeah, I read it as her focusing on cosplay in particular. She lists off other factors like the rampant price gouging but makes it pretty clear that mainstream conventions are going down the tubes because people are attending for the other fans.

Which I don't know how true that is because there's a lot of factors at play here. I can only speak from experience but I don't go to cons to buy books. I can get those online for a fraction of the price. I go for original art and pages. I've dropped upwards to $200 for original art at a con. I remember one year at ECCC Scott Morse was doing $100 paintings and that guy had to have knocked out 10 in a single day without selling any books.

I can't say this as fact but if you can't offer anything other than strictly merchandise conventions probably aren't for you. I'm not familiar with her husband's work but they may have made more than $20 if he was there doing commissions.

Say what you will about Leifeld's art - that guy charged more for headsketches than I've ever seen, and his line never quit. I think it was $250?

When I got that Quitely piece, it ran me $250. he was doing about 10-15 a day for 3 days. He was also pretty open about the fact he was doing 5 or so American cons that year to make up money lost when his back prevented him from doing many books.

That still doesn't compare to what actors/their agents and the cons make for autograph lines. they can see a couple hundred people a day at $25-$75 a pop. No one can really blame the cons for pandering to that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

al-azad posted:

But con attendance is up overall. There are more cons and more people attending all of them.

But creators are still bringing truckloads of merchandise you can get off there website. What fan of yours doesn't already have the book you're trying to sell?
I dunno, the last two cons I went to I picked up some things I had been meaning to grab because the creator was there signing/doing sketches.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So for people who've been going for a while, was there a point where you were like "Goddamn there are a lot of cosplayers here nowadays." I've never been to one personally,

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Was Taters posted:

When I got that Quitely piece, it ran me $250. he was doing about 10-15 a day for 3 days. He was also pretty open about the fact he was doing 5 or so American cons that year to make up money lost when his back prevented him from doing many books.

I didn't think Quitely was fast enough to draw 10-15 pictures a day. :haw:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

Oh my God I didn't know what comicgate was but now I do and if this is what it's come to then please just shut down the whole goddamn internet I just can't take dumb nerds anymore #InternetGate

Same. How can people be this ignorant to go off on something like this? It's not even good covers, from a technical standpoint. What the hell's the point? It's just angry shitheads scared their comics will somehow be messed up by that drat social justice because ???

zoux posted:

So for people who've been going for a while, was there a point where you were like "Goddamn there are a lot of cosplayers here nowadays." I've never been to one personally,

Neither have I, but is there really a large percentage going just for cosplay? I always thought of it as a fun social activity for people to have fun at. I know there are cosplay contests and a few famous cosplayers, but surely it can't be that big as to be taking away from everything else.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Endless Mike posted:

I dunno, the last two cons I went to I picked up some things I had been meaning to grab because the creator was there signing/doing sketches.
Jeff Parker drew me a Hulk once in exchange for me buying a copy of Mysterious The Unfathomable (which I still haven't read actually). :unsmith:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I go to Cons to buy toys and see Stephen Amell talk.

They would need to have like... Han Solo for me to ever buy an autograph.

Not Harrison Ford. Han.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Lemire likes to draw sketches in books he is signing. That is pretty sweet.
I still end up buying a shitload amount of books at cons because I always find something interesting and neat that I haven't seen before. I also like going to talk to the more indie writers/artists and see what they are up to. Unlike the bigger names who are answering the 20 millionth question about Batman or whatever, the indie guys are quite happy to talk about their stuff.
As for the cosplay stuff, it is fans having fun and while I admit it was great seeing what costumes people come up with and dress up in, I see it more as a fun side attraction as opposed to the only reason to go to a con.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

WickedHate posted:

Same. How can people be this ignorant to go off on something like this? It's not even good covers, from a technical standpoint. What the hell's the point? It's just angry shitheads scared their comics will somehow be messed up by that drat social justice because ???

Neither have I, but is there really a large percentage going just for cosplay? I always thought of it as a fun social activity for people to have fun at. I know there are cosplay contests and a few famous cosplayers, but surely it can't be that big as to be taking away from everything else.

I would say that in the 5 yrs I've been going - short time, really - it's gone from 5 percent cosplayers to more like 15 percent cosplayers. Most of the cosplayers aren't there JUST to be seen and compare costume notes though - it's just part of their experience as they also go visit with creators and hang out with friends.

When I first went, it was about getting art and meeting creators. I've met most of the ones who wow me now though, and I do know people, so it's about hanging with friends and maybe catching a panel or two.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The whole thing reads like sour grapes for a bad con season.

I buy books at cons but usually when I want it signed and don't have it at home. Sometimes I get sketches in them, sometimes not. Most of the time I'm definitely not looking for back issues because honestly, most back issue sellers at cons have super jacked up prices.

Edit: ^^^ You know, I had that problem at SDCC this year. I went and realized I've met most of the creators I really want to meet and got art from most of the ones I can afford. I ended up spending well below my normal average because of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

al-azad posted:

Which I don't know how true that is because there's a lot of factors at play here. I can only speak from experience but I don't go to cons to buy books. I can get those online for a fraction of the price.

Yeah, this. Online sales have SIGNIFICANTLY changed the hobby over the last 10 years. The market has adapted and changed but some artists haven't gone along with that change and they got left behind. You've got a little stall selling your books and prints? That's cute. That guy across the way is selling an experience and giving his customers something unique and customized and he's raking in the bucks.

When she describes her recent con experience as "three miserable days of our lives we’ll never get back" I can only imagine that they sat there behind their stall scowling all day and bitching about all the fun-havers crowding the place instead of the serious comic collectors who used to populate the cons 15 years ago. She sounds like exactly the kind of person you wouldn't want to meet and interact with at a con.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 25, 2014

• Locked thread