Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Senso posted:

I have a French friend who did her dive master on Koh Tao last year, I wonder what the chances are she met one of you.
are you free now

Ted Ed Fred posted:

Some of you might like this, it's an article about new archaeological techniques being used at Angkor Wat. Pretty impressive what it's turned up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29245289
Yeah, someone turned me onto this LIDAR stuff and its various uses. What they've been able to find here and elsewhere is amazing. It's good stuff - recommended reading!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Its called the murder island now.

And i met the scottish guy who fled the island. I was wondering why hes so twitchy all of a sudden. Next day i read the news and went "ohh". He spent the last day he was here at banyan bar. There were some RTP there too.

Its my last day here too so better get drunk.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Barfolemew posted:

And i met the scottish guy who fled the island.

I met him last year. He was a loving moron and probably a bit "special." He dressed as a pirate for weeks at a time just to get attention, left without paying several very large bar tabs, did a bunch of drugs, and talked a lot of bullshit. My favourite was when he said, very loudly, "oh, I'm the new manager of Bar X now" and two people turned to him and said, respectively, "That's funny. I'm the manager at Bar X and I haven't heard I've been fired" and the guy sitting next to her said "and I'm the owner and haven't fired her or hired you" and he basically ran away and dressed like a pirate for a few days. I honestly don't know why he went back to Tao - he had no friends and had made a lot of people unhappy. Plus, he has a conviction for child sex offences.

That said, there are reports that the owner of AC1 has been arrested. He's the brother of one of the local government chiefs and the guy the Scot publicly accused of being involved. So maybe he's a moron, but he might just be right in this case.

* Bar X is a pseudonym.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So where should I go diving in Thailand where I won't get murdered be surrounded by drugs and sewage?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The princess is in another country.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Chantilly Say posted:

So where should I go diving in Thailand where I won't get murdered be surrounded by drugs and sewage?

Khao Lak. The diving is excellent, but not for beginners.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Chantilly Say posted:

Phi Phi has a low amount of drugs (relatively speaking) and less than one double homicide (that I'm aware of). Diving there costs about 40% more than Koh Tao. It's the other big dive local. Because the tsunami had erased it it's surprisingly in order and tidy for a Thai tourism destination. Which is not to say that it is really in order or tidy.

Finch! posted:

I met him last year. He was a loving moron and probably a bit "special." He dressed as a pirate for weeks at a time just to get attention, left without paying several very large bar tabs, did a bunch of drugs, and talked a lot of bullshit. My favourite was when he said, very loudly, "oh, I'm the new manager of Bar X now" and two people turned to him and said, respectively, "That's funny. I'm the manager at Bar X and I haven't heard I've been fired" and the guy sitting next to her said "and I'm the owner and haven't fired her or hired you" and he basically ran away and dressed like a pirate for a few days. I honestly don't know why he went back to Tao - he had no friends and had made a lot of people unhappy. Plus, he has a conviction for child sex offences.

That said, there are reports that the owner of AC1 has been arrested. He's the brother of one of the local government chiefs and the guy the Scot publicly accused of being involved. So maybe he's a moron, but he might just be right in this case.

* Bar X is a pseudonym.

Why did I assume that the entirety of this post was the fact of the matter just from seeing his picture?

Also why did they publish the informants picture? :tinfoil:

raton fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 23, 2014

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Finch! posted:

What's her name?

Starts with Cam.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Finch! posted:

Khao Lak. The diving is excellent, but not for beginners.

What makes it so? Currents, depth, temperature?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Someone tell me some stuff about Hanoi. I'll be overnighting there with me missus.

Eat all the bun cha.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Senso posted:

Starts with Cam.

I don't know her then. That's not surprising, there are a lot of dive shops and not everyone hangs out in the same places.

Chantilly Say posted:

What makes it so? Currents, depth, temperature?

Most sites are fairly deep (beyond open water depths) and there's the potential for some pretty gnarly currents. That said, I went there with only about 25 dives and didn't have a problem. Temperature wasn't an issue, even in November I was very comfortable in just board shorts and a rashee.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Finch! posted:

* Bar X is a pseudonym.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

How did he manage to impress a girl :goonsay:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Finch! posted:

Most sites are fairly deep (beyond open water depths) and there's the potential for some pretty gnarly currents. That said, I went there with only about 25 dives and didn't have a problem. Temperature wasn't an issue, even in November I was very comfortable in just board shorts and a rashee.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
A bit later on in my trip I'm flying from Chiang Mai to Krabi arriving at around 8:30AM. We're hoping to catch the ferry to Koh Phi Phi, which is why I'm arriving so freaking early. A couple of questions:

Am I ok in following these instructions in getting to Koh Phi Phi? Can anyone provide advice from experience?

http://chasingplaces.com/how-to-get-from-krabi-airport-to-koh-phi-phi/

Looks like I have plenty of time to get there so hopefully it works out. The last time I went to Koh Phi Phi it was all arranged by AirAsia island transfer from Phuket but since I was flying from Chiang Mai, I figured I'd fly to Krabi instead.

Once we get there, we'll probably spend a couple of days there then ferry over to Koh Lanta. Here's where I'm kinda lost. Does anyone have recommendations on places to stay in Koh Lanta? The budget ones on TripAdvisor all have middling reviews and even the good ones have really alarming bad reviews. (bed bugs, no security or lockers, etc.)

Also, I need to figure out how to actually leave Koh Lanta since I have to go back to Bangkok to catch a flight. Any tips there? I was thinking of buying an afternoon flight from Krabi airport to Bangkok, but no actual clue on how to get to Krabi airport from Koh Lanta.

I did quite a bit of research and here's what I came up with:
- for getting to Koh Phi Phi from Krabi airport, buy a shuttle bus ticket + ferry ticket at the airport and you should be set, provided you meet the ferry times
- Koh Lanta to Koh Phi Phi is just a ferry boat away
- leaving Koh Lanta involves taking a shared minibus that takes you all the way to Krabi airport and takes about 2-3 hours. Depending on what guesthouse/hotel I go with, I'm HOPING they'll help on booking this, but if not, what's the best way?

I figured you guys have personal experiences and have way better advice though. Catching flights and travelling between destinations always worries me so I'm just wanting to be prepared to get it right.

EDIT:

Also need some advice on where to stay in Koh Phi Phi too. Last time I was there, I stayed at a backpacker party hostel (Blanco's) While it was fun and the people were amazing, I probably need something more laid back since I'm travelling with my girlfriend this time. Plus they had bedbugs.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 24, 2014

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Finch! posted:

Any particular reason there's not stuff to see above 60ft?

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
I feel pretty uncertain about how much money I should keep in my wallet and how much money I should keep in my bank account here in Thailand. I currently have ~6,000 dollars in my American bank account, ~15,000 baht in my Thai bank account, and ~20,000 baht in cash in my wallet. I wouldn't carry so much cash with me in the U.S., but Thailand is so much more cashy and so much less card-swipey than the U.S. is. But I suppose I could deposit some more of the cash that I have in my wallet into my Thai bank account since ATMs seem pretty plentiful. And I suppose it would be easier for me to address this issue if I had a clearer idea of how much longer I'm going to be in Thailand!

But, uh, yeah, Thailand is a super groovy place and I'm glad to be here, regardless of how this TESOL stuff turns out for me! I just wish Thailand had more sit-down flushy toilets and fewer scary dogs in the streets!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You should just give me all your money. I will return it to you when you leave. How much cash should you carry? Enough money to buy a bag of charcoal if you ever want to kill yourself~~~~

Ok ok, serious answer. Enough for a meal, and enough for a cab ride home. You are not in mad max wasteland, there's bound to be an ATM somewhere in BANGKOK

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Carry about three thousand baht. 20k is too much.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Sheep-Goats posted:

My rule was 'only carry what an ATM will give you in one go" which is never more than like $160

A lot of people don't use ATMs though, or credit cards, like a few relatives I have there. They regularly carry as much as 15-20k. Up to you.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 24, 2014

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Chantilly Say posted:

Any particular reason there's not stuff to see above 60ft?

Oh, there's plenty to see above 18-ish metres, but you won't get to explore all of the dive site. There are a few sites where you can hit the bottom within open water limitations and there are a few more where you can look at a wall or stare into the abyss. A friend was open water only when we went, and had a great time over the few days of diving. He wasn't bored, but he missed out on a bit. That said, he saw mantas and I didn't :argh:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The dogs only accept hundreds. Or you could try to blow them away. You know, with dog treats or scraps of meat or something.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Welp. I just had my first professional massage. It was very nice.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

3k was a good amount for me. You're not going to need more than 3k at a time. I mean, a hooker is only going to cost you 1-2, depending on bargaining skills and you'll still have plenty for drinks.

nelson posted:

Welp. I just had my first professional massage. It was very nice.

I'm sure you had a blast!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

cent0r posted:

3k was a good amount for me. You're not going to need more than 3k at a time. I mean, a hooker is only going to cost you 1-2, depending on bargaining skills and you'll still have plenty for drinks.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

cent0r posted:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
http://www.bloomberg.com/visual-data/best-and-worst/most-crowded-in-2025-global-cities-1

Hong Kong set to keep its spot as the most crowded city, and Singapore will apparently go up two places to hit #5.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

XyrlocShammypants posted:

My rule was 'only carry what an ATM will give you in one go" which is never more than like $160

That's a pretty good rule. In Vietnam I tried to always have about 2,000,000 dongs (about $100), which can easily last for a week if you don't go clubbing.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Chantilly Say posted:

http://www.bloomberg.com/visual-data/best-and-worst/most-crowded-in-2025-global-cities-1

Hong Kong set to keep its spot as the most crowded city, and Singapore will apparently go up two places to hit #5.

Cross postin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKf08vWTkKA

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

cent0r posted:

I'm sure you had a blast!

Most people don't realize it, but the price of a prostitute is actually per kilogram. So if you want the best value for your money, you should gently caress kids.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Thanks for keeping it classy, tourists.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Question. How does one procure and negotiate with a prostitute? Many thanks,

Galaga

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
:ughh:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lady Galaga posted:

Question. How does one procure and negotiate with a prostitute? Many thanks,

Galaga

Gonna answer seriously:

If the prostitutes aren't blatantly propositioning you, they are not interested. If a prostitute is not interested in you, then you probably will die a virgin.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Waltzing Along posted:

Gonna answer seriously:

If the prostitutes aren't blatantly propositioning you, they are not interested. If a prostitute is not interested in you, then you probably will die a virgin.

Where are the reputable areas to find such services, and how do I know I am getting good quality for my money? Is there are free trial?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lady Galaga posted:

Where are the reputable areas to find such services, and how do I know I am getting good quality for my money? Is there are free trial?

Pretty sure there is an island to the south of Thailand. Has some nice beaches. You should check it out. Good for tourists.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

What's the etiquette for adult services in Thailand? I figured I'd ask the experts.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

fart simpson posted:

What's the etiquette for adult services in Thailand? I figured I'd ask the experts.

Pretty sure it is "have money."

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

The most cost effective mechanism is to find some lonely person in a bar and then get married. It's important the time to marriage is quick to ensure most effectiveness. For a relatively small investment (pig farm etc) you too can be lucky in love.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Lady Galaga posted:

Is there are free trial?
You should always check to make sure the goods are genuine (only if you care ok, I'm not transphobic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
Thread has been so good for so long, now it's slowly being filled with lame in-jokes and hooker requests. Where did it all go wrong? It's not even peak tourist season yet!