Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

I just was this movie and it was probably the best of the superhero movies yet. Who were the putty men working for The blue guy? I don't think that was explained.

They are called Sakaaran in the movie.

Sakaar is the planet, in the comics, where the Hulk gets exiled and eventually becomes ruler of by the earth based heroes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

I just was this movie and it was probably the best of the superhero movies yet. Who were the putty men working for The blue guy? I don't think that was explained.

I believe they're a "client race of the Kree" or something. The Kree is like the Dominion or whatever in Star Trek in that they're a huge super powerful spacefaring empire but are spread out thin and have a bunch of worlds and races that, while technically in their turf they don't do a lot to or care about one way or the other (like how they don't care about Ronan's actions at all beyond a token condolence).

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I saw the movie. It was awesome! I want to see more of Rocket and Groot!

Criticism - the film was so much a 30-something male power fantasy that it turned me off. Peter doesn't begin the story with any flaws that particularly affect himself or others and at the end of the movie he is pretty much unchanged. His belief that he is awesome is affirmed. This is put into stark contrast next to all of the supporting characters, all of whom have grown somewhat. (Gamora was pretty bland but I think she did grow a little bit.) If Peter is a sort of Everyman for the between gen x and millennial set, the moral seems to be: don't change, you're already amazing.

We see Peter commit acts of self-sacrifice (saving Gamora from the vacuum of space/thin upper atmosphere, grabbing the purple thingy) but we're not shown that this is anything he wouldn't have already done from the beginning. That made those moments weaker for me.

It would have been more interesting if Peter had had a chance to act selflessly for someone early on but had declined. Then that would show some character growth.

I also didn't like how Gamora was basically a piece of meat, but that is less a complaint specific to this movie as it is the industry in general.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Peter has a story arc. It has to do with him finally getting over the death of his mother and building a new family. A space family.

He also goes from being an amoral thief who wants to sell the orb, to being a hero who saves the galaxy.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I think james gunn wanted to avoid a coming-of-age story as much as possible, because literally every first movie for each marvel team or character is exactly that

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Mantis42 posted:

Peter has a story arc. It has to do with him finally getting over the death of his mother and building a new family. A space family.

He also goes from being an amoral thief who wants to sell the orb, to being a hero who saves the galaxy.

I see what you're saying but the film didn't sell that. We don't see him declining friendship at any point. He seems rather well socialized in fact. And he really didn't have a choice on selling or not selling - even he realized if he sold it it wouldn't be a matter of if he'd be killed by the bad guy but when (Rocket says this out loud.) I understand that's the arc but it was not well represented, especially since it has to be justified through dialog or whatever. Show don't tell and all that.

Contrast Han Solo who has to be dragged kicking and screaming into an altruistic role in A New Hope.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
We see a woman he's presumably recently met and had sex with who he completely forgot even existed, does that count as declining friendship?

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?

Xibanya posted:

I see what you're saying but the film didn't sell that. We don't see him declining friendship at any point. He seems rather well socialized in fact. And he really didn't have a choice on selling or not selling - even he realized if he sold it it wouldn't be a matter of if he'd be killed by the bad guy but when (Rocket says this out loud.) I understand that's the arc but it was not well represented, especially since it has to be justified through dialog or whatever. Show don't tell and all that.

Contrast Han Solo who has to be dragged kicking and screaming into an altruistic role in A New Hope.

Everything about Peter at the start of the movie says selfish and self absorbed even though we don't see him specifically "declining friendship". He definitely had an arc, it was just one of the most common and overdone ones for male action protagonists.

Edit: And one of the reasons Star Wars is a better movie is that Han Solo is not the main character.

Cakebaker fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 22, 2014

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Was I the only one who was really bugged by how Gamora fell into the wea damsel role almost instantaneously near the end? I mean, they go on about how she's this amazing assassin who can take down entire armies singlehandedly, and then when the Reavers capture them, she's completely helpless cause two of them are grabbing her arms.

Neurolimal posted:

I think james gunn wanted to avoid a coming-of-age story as much as possible, because literally every first movie for each marvel team or character is exactly that

What about The Incredible Hulk? Or are we counting the Ang Lee one?

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 22, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neurolimal posted:

It would be funny to watch the bildungsroman of a manchild.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Shageletic posted:

I watched the first fifteen minutes of the movie during Labor Day. Completely filled with kids. And they were looooving it. The energy was insane. I think for a lot of them, it'll be a milestone.

This. This right here is why I really think this movie will be this new generation's Star Wars.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Xibanya posted:

His first action is stealing the orb before his mentor and crew can get to it.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Fulchrum posted:

Was I the only one who was really bugged by how Gamora fell into the wea damsel role almost instantaneously near the end? I mean, they go on about how she's this amazing assassin who can take down entire armies singlehandedly, and then when the Reavers capture them, she's completely helpless cause two of them are grabbing her arms.

The only people who make this objection are those who have never played an RPG or MMO before. Assassins can't tank, duh! They strike from invisibility and hope for a crit, they don't brawl with multiple bruisers at once. That's what fighters with shields are for.

Obviously!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

I'm usually completely in favor of puppetry and animatronics and general traditional effects over CGI, but I will say that GotG is one of the few movies in the past like, 5 years where the CGI all felt natural and not-incredibly-jarring.

The only noticeable CGI flaws or times when it's distracting is that some of the space ship scenes look like videogame graphics. But it's only for a few seconds at a time and a minor quibble. Or it could have been due to the 3D effect.

GotG reminded me quite a bit of Galaxy Quest, another space movie that is fun to watch, with a lot of characters arguing/bickering and not at all happy about their circumstances.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Binary Logic posted:

The only noticeable CGI flaws or times when it's distracting is that some of the space ship scenes look like videogame graphics. But it's only for a few seconds at a time and a minor quibble. Or it could have been due to the 3D effect.

GotG reminded me quite a bit of Galaxy Quest, another space movie that is fun to watch, with a lot of characters arguing/bickering and not at all happy about their circumstances.

I saw the movie in 2D and felt those scenes looked spectacular.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I saw the movie in 2D and felt those scenes looked spectacular.

The 3D was pretty bad, so it was an absolutely normal post conversion.
It was much better in 2D but the imax here was 3D only sadly.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Tommy 2.0 posted:

This. This right here is why I really think this movie will be this new generation's Star Wars.

Oh c'mon, how will this be like a new Star Wars? I loved the movie too, but how is it a milestone in any shape or form?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Because people loving love it, in large numbers, and it's quite good

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I agree that it is both good and popular. How is it this or any generation's Star Wars?

To be clear, I'm interpreting that comparison to mean a sense of impact on the genre, or film in general, or the wider culture of art. Star Wars was a game-changer, pulp sci-fi and movies and so on were never the same.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Black Bones posted:

Oh c'mon, how will this be like a new Star Wars? I loved the movie too, but how is it a milestone in any shape or form?

More to the point, do we expect anything to ever be as big as Star Wars again? Seriously asking. I just can't picture anyone caring about any modern big budget movie 30 years from now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Frozen was huge.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Slugworth posted:

More to the point, do we expect anything to ever be as big as Star Wars again? Seriously asking. I just can't picture anyone caring about any modern big budget movie 30 years from now.

No joke, Harry Potter. I don't see that going away any time soon. Just visit either of the two Universal Parks in Orlando, and it's insanely popular. At the mere mention of Rowling writing a short article talking about the character, people lose their minds.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Black Bones posted:

They're both severely overrated.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Harry Potter and The Simpsons come to mind immediately as media empires to rival Star Wars in the area of cultural impact. GOTG is doing remarkably well but it's ridiculous to say at this point that it has that potential. Unless you're trying to sound like a coked-up, comically hubristic marketing executive?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Black Bones posted:

I could see Chris Pratt becoming this generation's Harrison Ford, with GotG serving as his launchpad to stardom in much the same way that Star Wars did for Ford.

I also think it's fun in a way that movies very rarely are anymore -- it's just a joy to watch in the same way that the original SW films are or Back to the Future is.

You're probably right that it ain't gonna launch it's own multi-media franchise, and ten years from now we won't have a thread just for GotG spinoff novels. But I could see people being as excited to re-watch GotG in thirty years as people are excited to watch Back to the Future today.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
ITT we argue pedantically about the meaning of the phrase "the next Star Wars."

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I could see Chris Pratt becoming this generation's Harrison Ford, with GotG serving as his launchpad to stardom in much the same way that Star Wars did for Ford.

I also think it's fun in a way that movies very rarely are anymore -- it's just a joy to watch in the same way that the original SW films are or Back to the Future is.

You're probably right that it ain't gonna launch it's own multi-media franchise, and ten years from now we won't have a thread just for GotG spinoff novels. But I could see people being as excited to re-watch GotG in thirty years as people are excited to watch Back to the Future today.

I could totally see him as Indy. He has the right looks and the right demeanor between competent and buffoonish. And he is very likable.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

e X posted:

I could totally see him as Indy. He has the right looks and the right demeanor between competent and buffoonish. And he is very likable.

But what about Shia "Baghead" LaBeouf???

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

FutonForensic posted:

But what about Shia "Baghead" LaBeouf???

Trigger warnings please

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Vargo posted:

The Citizen Kane of The next Star Warses

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Vargo posted:

The next Star Wars is literally going to be Episode VII.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The Marvel Cinematic Universe as a whole definitely can be referred to as being as big as Star Wars. GotG is a part of that.

In this analogy, Ant-Man will probably be the Holiday Special.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 25, 2014

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Guardians of the Galaxy is truly the Citizen Kane of movies.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

TheJoker138 posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy is truly the Citizen Kane of movies.

I think you mean that Citizen Kane is the Guardians of the Galaxy of movies. :smugdog:

Also there may come a day where everyone who watches this will have no idea that the Awesome Mix isn't original scoring for the movie, and I hope to be long dead by then.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

The Marvel Cinematic Universe as a whole definitely can be referred to as being as big as Star Wars. GotG is a part of that.

In this analogy, Ant-Man will probably be the Holiday Special.

I've never heard anyone quote or reference scenes from these movies as much as people reference the Dark Knight.

People are big on the characters sure, but not especially so the movies they star in.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

euphronius posted:

Box office wise, yeah sure it was bigger. I loved Avatar, but it hasn't made a dent in pop culture or stayed in the collective conscience of moviegoers/sci-fi geeks like Star Wars has though. I'd argue that might change once James Cameron drops his actual trilogy (apparently Avatar was just the prologue).

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

This came out on 31st July in the UK, and it's currently doing 4 showings a day in my cinema up to at least October 1st. Pretty impressive.

I wonder if Marvel are maybe starting to regret getting rid of Edgar Wright for Ant Man, seeing as the 'risky' GotG is doing so well.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

euphronius posted:

Not when you adjust for inflation. It's not even in the top 10.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Wikipedia page I looked at has avatar on top adjusted for inflation even.

And yes culturally I would say Star Wars as 4000 points of cultural powers whereas Avatar has but 800.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

The Wikipedia page I looked at has avatar on top adjusted for inflation even.

Then Wikipedia is wrong. Though, World Wide, adjusted for inflation Avatar is #2 behind Gone With the Wind which is closer than I thought. I was thinking domestic, as I assume sean10mm was, where Avatar is only #14.

• Locked thread