Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I'm pretty sure that Duel was the one that was just a big pile of code that didn't do anything, concealed by the author going "feature listings? nuh-uh go experience it yourself ;)"..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Deadly Combat is good

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Axeface posted:

Bluargh. Okay, I figured out the CoT thing, but now the game crashes to desktop almost instantly after I open it through ModOrg; I get through the Bethesda logo and the second it hits the spinning dragon it goes right to desktop. Anybody else had this? Is it possibly a mod conflict, or is there something else I can try here?

Watch this video. Install Loot and add it to the list of executables in ModOrg. Run Loot through ModOrg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzoyWugzZAw

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I love Ultimate Combat.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I think I've discovered a really odd bug with cloaks, perhaps someone can try it out and see it they can get it to happen on their install.

If I behead an NPC, then loot their corpse, taking the cloak, then leave the cell and come back, the game will crash trying to reload the cell. If I repeat literally every step except the part where I take the cloak (i.e. I loot whatever else and leave the cloak), I don't get a crash.

Once the cell resets, I can return there without issue, even if I loot the cloak from the beheaded NPC.

This is with Cloaks of Skyrim, and Wet and Cold. I also use Frostfall, but I'm not sure if the same issue would happen there. I've also only seen it happen twice, once with a Thalmor and once with a Forsworn (so also only tested faction-added cloaks). I'd bet it doesn't matter though, since they all use the same item slot, which I'm thinking is bugged somehow.

Certainly one of the weirder bugs I've heard of. It would be good to know if it's just something hosed up with my install, like some weird mod conflict that I'm never going to figure out, or if it happens to everyone with a cloak mod, or what.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so if I have 2 2gb gtx 760s in SLI approximately how pretty can I make this game?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have any suggestions for a mod or set of mods that will allow/compliment playing an unarmed thief character, and which will work with SPERG?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The Iron Rose posted:

so if I have 2 2gb gtx 760s in SLI approximately how pretty can I make this game?

Assuming that you configure everything correctly, pretty darn pretty unless Skyrim doesn't play nice with SLI (I have no idea). Generally speaking, if you have a recent card with 2GB VRAM and the rest of your hardware is 3 years old or less then you can overhaul the game with a lot of 2K textures and it will look really nice even without an ENB. If your hardware is not quite that good you can still make it very pretty if you choose wisely (no, you don't need 4K cutlery textures). If you have all of the above with a 4GB card then there really is no limit.

None of that saves you from crappy mods or bad ENB configs though. It is possible to bring any PC to its knees when modding in Skyrim, but between the guides out there and this thread you have nothing to worry about. For starters, make sure you optimize your vanilla game as much as possible with the various memory fixes, unofficial patches, vanilla texture optimizers, etc. That goes a really long way.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

That's the rough hardware level that maxed out Realvision ENB is designed for according to the creator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p-s4ds0Ekc

takes a good few hours of fiddling though I imagine

Torka fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 25, 2014

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
I downloaded a couple lightweight mods for changing dawnbreaker, the dragon priest masks, and making bodies easier to move, and then I updated the game on steam, loaded it on SKSE, and now it tells me a file is missing (do you still want to load?) and promptly crashes once the loading is complete.

I've validated the files but no change. Any ideas?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

nuzak posted:

I downloaded a couple lightweight mods for changing dawnbreaker, the dragon priest masks, and making bodies easier to move, and then I updated the game on steam, loaded it on SKSE, and now it tells me a file is missing (do you still want to load?) and promptly crashes once the loading is complete.

I've validated the files but no change. Any ideas?

Check your load order, make sure all your data files are enabled, post a load order for us if that doesn't help.

Also, this comment on Lootification is cracking me up:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Aight, first troubleshooting question of the reinstall. I'm using GELO, the SkyProc patcher. Problem is that everytime I run it it throws a nullpointerexception at me. Checking the error logs, apparently it's throwing a fit at Update.esm. Any ideas here?

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
I downloaded ENB and applied the ENB Speedboost. It works great! Well, sort of. My FPS has skyrocketed in towns thanks to ASIS (and possibly another mod) deciding to populate Whiterun's town square with about 20 goats and a dozen cattle, so I won't need to purge them and skip town after all!

Problem is, I'm getting this strange glitch where I'll be going along in the wilderness and all of the sudden I enter an area where the groundcover will stop and my arrows will wait about 2 seconds after I shoot to spawn and fly forward. Eventually the groundcover will populate and things will go back to normal, but it's a bit jarring. And I crashed a bit after that, half a second after quicksaving. When I try to load that save, I just CTD a second or two after loading. :smith: Anyone run into anything similar?

Here is my load order. I've also been getting a bug recently where a lot of NPCs don't move their lips when they talk. Kind of creepy, and a bit inconsistent in who it affects.

Edit:

The Iron Rose posted:

Aight, first troubleshooting question of the reinstall. I'm using GELO, the SkyProc patcher. Problem is that everytime I run it it throws a nullpointerexception at me. Checking the error logs, apparently it's throwing a fit at Update.esm. Any ideas here?

Oh my god I hate GELO. I could only get it to work on the base game items, but nothing else. Can't even remember how I did that, but I do know it's prone to memory issues like any other reproccer (even moreso since it doesn't work with SUM). If I remember correctly, your trouble may have to do with window's base java settings. Or it could be the level in your file directory that GELO is in (copy-pasting the jar and the exception list up/down a level in the directory sometimes works). Or it could be that you should be running the batch file instead of the jar, though that depends on its own set of circumstances.

Basically, GELO is old and busted. I like the enchantments it offers, but the program itself is awful from a user standpoint and is no longer supported by the modder.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 25, 2014

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

Check your load order, make sure all your data files are enabled, post a load order for us if that doesn't help.

That's just the TF2 mod working as intended.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I've also been getting a bug recently where a lot of NPCs don't move their lips when they talk.
That's a parting gift from Bethesda. Patch 1.9 introduced it.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Raygereio posted:

That's a parting gift from Bethesda. Patch 1.9 introduced it.

Can someone get Kirkbride to do a lore justification for this happening? Did that horrible flesh-melting bacteria finally make its way here from Cyrodiil?

Edit: vvv Lootification applies a less flashy set of enchantments to leveled lists that includes third-party items. It also works on weapons, while I'm fairly certain GELO doesn't.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 25, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I downloaded ENB and applied the ENB Speedboost. It works great! Well, sort of. My FPS has skyrocketed in towns thanks to ASIS (and possibly another mod) deciding to populate Whiterun's town square with about 20 goats and a dozen cattle, so I won't need to purge them and skip town after all!

Problem is, I'm getting this strange glitch where I'll be going along in the wilderness and all of the sudden I enter an area where the groundcover will stop and my arrows will wait about 2 seconds after I shoot to spawn and fly forward. Eventually the groundcover will populate and things will go back to normal, but it's a bit jarring. And I crashed a bit after that, half a second after quicksaving. When I try to load that save, I just CTD a second or two after loading. :smith: Anyone run into anything similar?

Here is my load order. I've also been getting a bug recently where a lot of NPCs don't move their lips when they talk. Kind of creepy, and a bit inconsistent in who it affects.

Edit:

Oh my god I hate GELO. I could only get it to work on the base game items, but nothing else. Can't even remember how I did that, but I do know it's prone to memory issues like any other reproccer (even moreso since it doesn't work with SUM). If I remember correctly, your trouble may have to do with window's base java settings. Or it could be the level in your file directory that GELO is in (copy-pasting the jar and the exception list up/down a level in the directory sometimes works). Or it could be that you should be running the batch file instead of the jar, though that depends on its own set of circumstances.

Basically, GELO is old and busted. I like the enchantments it offers, but the program itself is awful from a user standpoint and is no longer supported by the modder.

A shame, but oh well. Any decent alternatives?

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
This thread has been awesome and super helpful so far, thanks to y'all that have been holding my drat hand. I'm trying for a clean install at this point, but I've hit a snag with SkyUI: When it runs the external installer it gives me an error message saying I don't have SKSE, even though I followed the steps in Gopher's video and have it sitting right there in MO. Anybody else seen this? Anything I should be worried about?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Axeface posted:

This thread has been awesome and super helpful so far, thanks to y'all that have been holding my drat hand. I'm trying for a clean install at this point, but I've hit a snag with SkyUI: When it runs the external installer it gives me an error message saying I don't have SKSE, even though I followed the steps in Gopher's video and have it sitting right there in MO. Anybody else seen this? Anything I should be worried about?

Don't worry. The installer can't see SKSE from MO, but if its installed it'll work.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

It is depressingly hard to make a decent looking character in skyrim, even with the racemenu mod.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Kraven Moorhed posted:

The groundcover stopping happens to me briefly whenever I save - it's mostly noticeable because I've got an autosave mod that will catch me by surprise. Most of my crashing on saving or loading were fixed by this skse .ini tweak (the part under memory). Dunno if that helps at all.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Kilroy posted:

I think I've discovered a really odd bug with cloaks, perhaps someone can try it out and see it they can get it to happen on their install.

If I behead an NPC, then loot their corpse, taking the cloak, then leave the cell and come back, the game will crash trying to reload the cell. If I repeat literally every step except the part where I take the cloak (i.e. I loot whatever else and leave the cloak), I don't get a crash.

I know when you decapitate an NPC with a hat and take the hat it remains on their head. If the cloak is doing something to the head-body joint nodes or whatever then when you take it the game probably freaks out trying to regenerate the head model without the cloak or something.

Agents are GO! posted:

Wow. Unless he is updating from a really old version that shouldn't happen since SkyProc automatically makes sure things get the same FormIDs.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

The Iron Rose posted:

It is depressingly hard to make a decent looking character in skyrim, even with the racemenu mod.

There's a reason the Tribunal masks are pretty much essential for me now. Don't like someone's face? Stick a badass mask on it! While there are one or two open-faced helms I've found that cause clipping issues with it, there's an equal or greater number of helmets where it looks like it should be part of the model. Allow me to demonstrate:

See? Intimidating even with teddy-bear ears, and those are the character's eyes there. Let's take a look underneath.

Oh. Uh, yeah that's unfortunate. Let's never take that off again.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

I've got a mod setup that I like, but for the life of me every time I play I get:

1) SPERG does not recognize its custom Uncapper settings (I think I've fixed this one)
2) Insane physics glitches causing the cart in the opening sequence to crash and tumble everywhere
3) Delayed arrow/bolt firing, for both me and NPCs

I keep trying to change settings to fix these but always get at least one happening, and it's really annoying. I haven't played Skyrim in like a year and just want to get into the game again.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

How's your framerate? Skyrim's physics goes apeshit above 60fps.

ENB has a frame limiter.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

scamtank posted:

How's your framerate? Skyrim's physics goes apeshit above 60fps.

ENB has a frame limiter.

I have a GTX 770 so my framerate can go well above 100, though I am using the FPS Limiter to try to cap it at 60.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Oggumogoggum posted:

1) SPERG does not recognize its custom Uncapper settings (I think I've fixed this one)
2) Insane physics glitches causing the cart in the opening sequence to crash and tumble everywhere

1. If you're using MO, make sure you don't have another mod override SPERG's Uncapper .ini. You can check which .ini MO presents to the game by starting up MO and looking under the Data tab.
2. A lot of mods can screw up the Helgen introduction sequence. Check the readmes of your mods if any of them state that you should activate them after Helgen.
3. Try disabling your FPS Limiter.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 26, 2014

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Oggumogoggum posted:

I've got a mod setup that I like, but for the life of me every time I play I get:

I keep trying to change settings to fix these but always get at least one happening, and it's really annoying. I haven't played Skyrim in like a year and just want to get into the game again.

For 2, just install Skyrim Unbound or Live Another Life and skip the opening. That sequence is really fragile.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Just download that savegame that starts you right at the character selection point in Helgen after the long boring cart ride is over and done with.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Axeface posted:

There is an option that can be set in game within the SkyUI settings that allows you to turn this notification off. Assming SkyUI is stable and working, turning this off is recommended since the notification is a false positive and just annoying.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

There is an option that can be set in game within the SkyUI settings that allows you to turn this notification off. Assming SkyUI is stable and working, turning this off is recommended since the notification is a false positive and just annoying.
If the installer of SkyUI is complaining it can't find SKSE when you're using MO, you can ignore that warning. As long as you do have SKSE installed properly, it'll work fine.
If SkyUI is complaining ingame that it can't find SKSE, something is wrong with your setup. Most likely you're not booting the game via skse_loader.exe. If you're using MO, you need to run that executable through MO.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 26, 2014

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Raygereio posted:

If the installer of SkyUI is complaining it can't find SKSE when you're using MO, you can ignore that warning. As long as you do have SKSE installed properly, it'll work fine.
If SkyUI is complaining ingame that it can't find SKSE, something is wrong with your setup. Most likely you're not booting the game via skse_loader.exe. If you're using MO, you need to run that executable through MO.

Ah, you're right. I read his post too quickly. Although, I have read that the in game message is often a false positive as well and people just turn the notification off. I have not had any issues with SkyUI and I do get that warning unless I turn off the notification. I am launching skse through MO and am 99% sure I installed it all correctly. I would imagine that I would be running into a lot of SkyUI bugs otherwise. Weird.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Entropic posted:

Just download that savegame that starts you right at the character selection point in Helgen after the long boring cart ride is over and done with.

Doesn't Skyrim automatically create a save point at that spot anyways?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't imagine having the ability to skip the cart ride (Helgen entirely tbh) and not doing it. Somehow I can replay the same dungeons over and over but repeating that cart ride is torture.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Everything Burrito posted:

I can't imagine having the ability to skip the cart ride (Helgen entirely tbh) and not doing it. Somehow I can replay the same dungeons over and over but repeating that cart ride is torture.

5th time playing a dual wield / archer / thief character and still not bored with it, but yeah gently caress the opening. I wish it gave you a "are you sure you want to keep your character like this?" option at the end of the tutorial like in Fallout 3, so you could just create your guy after all of that.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Geoff Zahn posted:

I wish it gave you a "are you sure you want to keep your character like this?" option at the end of the tutorial like in Fallout 3, so you could just create your guy after all of that.
With a new character you were probably supposed to start from the auto-save the game makes at character creation. The rest of Skyrim's intro sequence post-cart-ride doesn't take long at all and you can run through it in a minute or two.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

The Iron Rose posted:

It's really not. Use ECE, with the double length sliders if you have to. If something looks funky, use the vertex editor. There's even a weighted selection radius for that so you don't have to move them one by one. Def get some good hair mods too.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

After reading through the Tasteless Tattoos thread in PYF, I kinda want to make a Bad Tattoos plugin for RaceMenu. Just a bunch of "gently caress the Guards" and "TAOLS FOR LYFE" and poo poo.

Edit: if I come up with ( or peopke here suggest) enough good ideas I think I'll do it.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 26, 2014

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I liked Arthmoor's Alternate Start mod for the novelty but I didn't like the way it handled picking the main story up at all so I use Dimes Quickstart. You make your character, choose Stormcloaks or Imperials, and spawn near the Helgen dungeon exit with some basic gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Everything Burrito posted:

dimes quickstart 4ever

• Locked thread