Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Hickman gets Doom so loving well, it's amazing :swoon:

"Doom is no man's second choice" is the perfect way to summarize his entire character in one quote :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think you mean Doom defeats and eliminates the Map Makers :colbert:

I posted this in June and looks like I'm still on track for being right.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I was expecting adult Valeria when I saw what appears to be a bridge.

Also, the whole story behind Wakanda essentially being given to the Cabal is really grabbing my interest and I'm desperate to know more. There is NO WAY Cap would go along with it. Shield has Susan hunting the Illiminati and (some) of the Avengers are helping but I'm starting now to get the feeling that alliances are way more fractured than shown.

Well in Avengers 35, they did mention a lot of Avengers just went their separate ways and the few that remained focused on the Tony problem.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
my god it's full of stars

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Holy poo poo, I'm floored.

I really want to know the story behind Wakanda because that was unexpected.

My favorite part obviously is that all hope lies in :doom:.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Mighty Avengers ending was dumb. I get it's the theme of the book but that was a little too on the nose.

By your powers combined I am Captain Planet Avenger!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah this weeks issue seems to be another knock out performance by Hickman.

I think this is going to be one of the greatest runs in comic history, seriously this is all coming together so fantastically it's great to watch it just unfold.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
All hope lies in Doom. :aaaaa:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, but I think that saying has been fulfilled. Also, I wonder if this is a possible call back to well the Council of Reeds.

Also Valeria and Franklin surfing time backwards from the end of the universe...

I mean isn't some of the council still well out there?

Also, am I wrong or is Thanos only in 616 (well the movie verse too), but I thought he was only in the Main Universe. Cause be interesting to see them run into another Cabal.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 24, 2014

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, but I think that saying has been fulfilled. Also, I wonder if this is a possible call back to well the Council of Reeds.

Also Valeria and Franklin surfing time backwards from the end of the universe...

I mean isn't some of the council still well out there?

Also, am I wrong or is Thanos only in 616 (well the movie verse too), but I thought he was only in the Main Universe. Cause be interesting to see them run into another Cabal.

There was an Ultimate Thanos at least

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Hickman could do no better than have him run into the Spidey Super Stories version of himself.

radlum
May 13, 2013
What an amazing issue of New Avengers. Doom was the MVP of the issue, but I loved Terrax playing with the skulls and Black Panther managed to have a few badass moments. This run of Avengers/New Avengers has to be remembered as one of the best ever.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

redbackground posted:

Hickman could do no better than have him run into the Spidey Super Stories version of himself.

I now want to see Thanos committing genocide while driving the Thanos- Copter.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

redbackground posted:

I hope the Spidey Super Stories version is actually a worse monster than the regular Thanos, but still acts cheesy and has the Thanoscopter and poo poo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The whole dinner scene with Namor and Doom is just loving fantastic, its also pretty much perfect Doom.

Also, the point made that yeah uh, they could just use the bombs, they don't have to just revel in it but they do. Is spot loving on.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Thinking about the politics of the incursion business, I realize that there's no country (or leader) that wouldn't support the Cabal or a similar effort to destroy other worlds to save ours. I can't imagine UN voting on "let's do the right thing and wait it out".
Well, maybe Vatican or Costa Rica.

Then again, I'm assuming world leaders were notified at some point in the past 8 months but the Doom/Namor thing implies otherwise as apparently, Doom isn't supposed to know that much about incursions. OTOH, I can't imagine Cap not telling world leaders as that would make the Avengers as bad as the Illuminati, taking choices out of the hands of elected representatives.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

New Avengers was absolutely a blast. It went from chilling to badass to full-on comic book and it all fits and works and rules. Avengers vs Illuminati vs Cabal vs Intelligencia will rule.

The Cabal toying with Professor X and killing the X-World was just horrific stuff.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Little Mac posted:

New Avengers was absolutely a blast. It went from chilling to badass to full-on comic book and it all fits and works and rules. Avengers vs Illuminati vs Cabal vs Intelligencia will rule.

The Cabal toying with Professor X and killing the X-World was just horrific stuff.

That Xorn callback was the last thing I expected. And then they kissed...

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Welp. I guess all the cries of "but where's Doom during all of this!" have been neatly laid to rest.

Holy poo poo that was an amazing issue of New Avengers.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I can understand why some people don't care for Salvador Larroca's art, but man, the first few pages of this week's Mighty Avengers were magnificently creepy.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Was anyone else hoping that behind Doom's secret door was the Illuminati?

late e: or alternatively, a council of Dooms

Four Score fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 25, 2014

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Kind of, yeah. As a way to reveal who the mysterious figure Reed and Tony were talking about.

I guess this eliminates Doom from the list. My next guesses are Da Vinci or an alternate Reed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Was that the Great Thinker working for Doom? I haven't seen him since the 60s (issues of Avengers).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Was that the Great Thinker working for Doom? I haven't seen him since the 60s (issues of Avengers).

If you mean the Mad Thinker, then yes, that was him. He's been around here and there - I recall his appearances in v1 of the New Warriors pretty fondly - but he's never exactly been an A-lister. Still, he's pretty cool.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

If you mean the Mad Thinker, then yes, that was him. He's been around here and there - I recall his appearances in v1 of the New Warriors pretty fondly - but he's never exactly been an A-lister. Still, he's pretty cool.
He showed up a bunch just previously in Hickman's FF as well.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

redbackground posted:

He showed up a bunch just previously in Hickman's FF as well.

Speaking of the Thinker and FF, I think my favorite recent use of him was in the brief fill-in stint that Dwayne McDuffie (I think it was him...) had on FF around the time of Civil War, where he basically said 'Civil War has done a really lovely job making Reed relatable, let me fix that.'

He then wrote a story where he revealed that Reed, as a long-time Isaac Asimov fan, had tried to invent the 'science of psychohistory' from Asimov's Foundation books - in effect, using math to predict the actions, not of individuals, but of entire cultures and worlds and nations - and had essentially demonstrated with math that the SHRA had to happen because Reasons, and then brought in the Mad Thinker to check his math.

IIRC, whether or not Reed was correct was deliberately ambiguous - but by presenting him as a guy who was on the pro-Reg side because he felt he had to be, not because he woke up one morning and decided to be a Cape Nazi or whatever, he became significantly more relatable. Mind you, that might be my own Asimov fanboyishness at work... Anyways, I remember the Thinker being pretty cool in that brief run.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wasn't he in Waid's Hulk during the first arc? Having him working with Doom, I was kind of hoping the Awesome Android was going to be the big reveal.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So I absolutely loved this weeks New Avengers. Such a great read.

The Illumanti had the best part of a year, near unlimited resources and huge databases of vital knowledge about the Incursions. And the best solution they had was "Big rear end bombs."

Stone Cold Doc Doom has half that time and was working with nothing except a Rock from a Terra Sidas World (which is designed as a deadly booby trap) has already put in place a plan which is Light Years ahead of anything that we've seen the Illumanti try.

I love this so much. Also the bit with the skulls was hilarious. Corvus Glaive is such a monstrous poet.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

The Question IRL posted:

So I absolutely loved this weeks New Avengers. Such a great read.

The Illumanti had the best part of a year, near unlimited resources and huge databases of vital knowledge about the Incursions. And the best solution they had was "Big rear end bombs."

What are you going on about?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

First Bass posted:

What are you going on about?
What are you talking about? Everything he said is right.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doom's plan has barely anything to do with the incursions. Doom is focusing on the guys who came into his house.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Not to mention Doom along with everyone else on Earth would be dead if they hadn't used those bombs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aphrodite posted:

Doom's plan has barely anything to do with the incursions. Doom is focusing on the guys who came into his house.
As much as the previous issues were about "KINGS OF KINGS" (Illuminati), this whole issue really focused on showing what someone with real power does.

He brushes aside the inconvenience, lets lower folk die and slave away, while he goes for the throat of whomever was dumb enough to try to step to him.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah Doom is going after the Map Makers (which is more than the Illumanti ever did) but it's clear that Doom has bigger plans.

He doesn't react to Namor's explanation about the Incursions and what's going on. And Doom later says to Kirstoff that he has a better understanding on what is killing the Universe than Namor does. From the sounds of it, Doom has actually been investigating the Incursions and found out a lot. Which is impressive considering he's done it without any of the advantages the Illumanti have.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Question IRL posted:

Yeah Doom is going after the Map Makers (which is more than the Illumanti ever did) but it's clear that Doom has bigger plans.

He doesn't react to Namor's explanation about the Incursions and what's going on. And Doom later says to Kirstoff that he has a better understanding on what is killing the Universe than Namor does. From the sounds of it, Doom has actually been investigating the Incursions and found out a lot. Which is impressive considering he's done it without any of the advantages the Illumanti have.

What advantages? He is DOOM :doom:

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Aphrodite posted:

Aka the guys who are heavily involved with incursions.

They might not be the cause but they're operating at a multiversal level and taking them out could reveal a whole trove of knowledge.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I genuinely want the illuminati to encounter another blue incursion, fail to stop the drones from opening a portal only to find DOOM.

At which point Doom makes a snarky comment about the Mapmakers being no more, blows up the dead Earth, drops the mic and walk away.

Also, semi related to NA everyone here should read the latest Loki: Agent of Asgard. It's basically DOOM is the best: the book.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Doom tracked the Mapmakers and where they came from and who made them, right? So he could go right to the source of the incursions.

And I'm really surprised nobody thought to use Molecule Man until now. If you wanna talk about a heavy-hitter, he's someone that should have come up.

This still doesn't rule out that Tony and Reed went to Doom, too. Maybe they asked him to investigate the source while they dealt with the incursions, since that was an immediate threat?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's kind of amazing that Doom is trusting the Cabal to handle the incursions. They fail once, and it's game over for Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

team overhead smash posted:

Aka the guys who are heavily involved with incursions.

They might not be the cause but they're operating at a multiversal level and taking them out could reveal a whole trove of knowledge.

Yeah but it's Doom. He's doing it for the petty reason, not the potential gains.

• Locked thread