Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
So I'm still slowly working on a custom paint for a DW12. I have no idea how you guys do it, this is taking goddamn forever (not the mechanics of it, just trying to figure out the pattern and such). And I can't decide what to do with all the empty space I'm going to end up with. This is all assuming that I'm even going to want to drive the stupid thing too, dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I like watching Empty Box too, even though he's a bit of a pedant. Nonetheless he is methodical as motherfucker. He never loving qualifies for races and I think that's intentional so that he can challenge the entire pack. It is entertaining to watch him eat up scrubs.

He also has a rig that, purely from the sound of the tight mechanical click of the shifter and the whisper quiet wheel, makes me think it costs more than I make in a quarter.

simble
May 11, 2004

He has a Fanatec CSW base with the Formula rim. He said that in one of his videos.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Lord Crapulus posted:

So I'm still slowly working on a custom paint for a DW12. I have no idea how you guys do it, this is taking goddamn forever (not the mechanics of it, just trying to figure out the pattern and such). And I can't decide what to do with all the empty space I'm going to end up with. This is all assuming that I'm even going to want to drive the stupid thing too, dammit.
These should probably help:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
i was looking around for Lime Rock Chicane YT videos to check my lines on Turn 2 and in the Chicane and I came across this really cool video of some dude tearing up Lime Rock on a configuration I don't think iRacing does in a real life Skippy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkv-in9IxjI

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Bentai posted:

These should probably help:

Yeah, I'm using those already, and I watched a bunch of Youtube GIMP tutorials. It's more a question of trying to figure out what I like, since I'm not basing it on anything. I suppose it'll be a problem too when I have to have colors match up across different parts, but I haven't run into those yet. It's just amazing how some guys can just slap together good looking paints so quickly; I've been working on-and-off on mine for a few weeks now.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
There's a lot of alt-tab to Gimp, ctrl-E, alt-tab to iRacing, ctrl-R, when getting colors to line up.

I have specific controls and settings files for when I'm doing paint work that puts iRacing in a window and lets me move the car around without having to plug my wheel in.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

Overwined posted:

i was looking around for Lime Rock Chicane YT videos to check my lines on Turn 2 and in the Chicane and I came across this really cool video of some dude tearing up Lime Rock on a configuration I don't think iRacing does in a real life Skippy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkv-in9IxjI

They added that chicane during the repave I think. The iRacing track was scanned before the repave.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Nice racing tonight, L_Harrison. You had an IRC sweating crew.

I love how the post race interview went from "Congrats on the finish" immediately to "How does it feel to be out of this series next season?" Dicks.

On an unrelated note, something weird happened during a practice, which means I made another stupid 15 second video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0sHKa8lYmQ

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The best RutgersKev video is the one where he's racing at Kansas I think and explains how he was clerking for the judge that decided a case that resulted in there being two NASCAR races or something and it's actually indirectly his fault.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Lord Crapulus posted:

Doing my Pink GoDaddy took me almost 3 hours, and that was still fast because someone already painted the regular GoDaddy scheme and sent me the PSD file of it. These things take a long rear end time to do, but once you do it well it'll be well worth it.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Lord Crapulus posted:

I'm pretty good at paints and it takes me at least 2-3 hours to do one.

You don't need to fill every bit of empty space

http://www.tradingpaints.com/showroom/view/4010/Miller-Lite-Porsche

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
G27 news: Wow the default settings for this wheel suck in every game. After some tweaks iRacing feels pretty good. I ended up crashing everything on the list until I bought the Skippy- if I use auto-blip I can race the Skippy more easily than anything else. The car just makes sense to me, note that I did participate in karts as a kid so I have a giant chip on my shoulder here. Time to fix up my rig and get serious. Rubberband mod the G27 shifter for sequential action.

Overwined posted:

I like watching Empty Box too, even though he's a bit of a pedant. Nonetheless he is methodical as motherfucker. He never loving qualifies for races and I think that's intentional so that he can challenge the entire pack. It is entertaining to watch him eat up scrubs.

I would like to see EB in here so questions could get answered, but word from his channel seems like he spends plenty of time reaping butthurt from the iRacing forums. As EB often says, it's not that he's particularly fast, he's consistent. Consistency is often better than speed- except when you're clashing with butthurt internet people who spend several laps screwing up then as EB tries to pass them all of a sudden they realize they're actually Lewis Hamilton and they can totally divebomb every turn and it'll stick. Whaddya mean it was my fault?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

ManicJason posted:

Not that I know of.

The new Phoenix is actually fun in stock cars. It's a shame how poo poo it is in Indy Cars.

Hm, might have confused him with you. :v:

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

ManicJason posted:

Nice racing tonight, L_Harrison. You had an IRC sweating crew.

I love how the post race interview went from "Congrats on the finish" immediately to "How does it feel to be out of this series next season?" Dicks.

Ah well. I had to go through the Pro Series last season and made it out fine (even led the points for a race) so I'll probably be back in DWC regardless in 2015. But that was pretty cool to get my first top 5 at Darlington. I think my best finish before that was 9th or something.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

I just had a revelation - I got clubsport v2 pedals a few weeks ago, and had not adjusted the brake force curve factor setting at all in iracing. I happened to read about it on the forums, and I guess with a load cell you want to set that to zero. Holy poo poo it's like night and day, I almost never lock up the brakes in the star mazda anymore. I was having problems with that at Montreal this week, notably going into the hairpin and the chicane after the bridge. If anyone has yet to change that setting after getting load cell pedals - you're missing out!

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

thehacker0 posted:

I just had a revelation - I got clubsport v2 pedals a few weeks ago, and had not adjusted the brake force curve factor setting at all in iracing. I happened to read about it on the forums, and I guess with a load cell you want to set that to zero. Holy poo poo it's like night and day, I almost never lock up the brakes in the star mazda anymore. I was having problems with that at Montreal this week, notably going into the hairpin and the chicane after the bridge. If anyone has yet to change that setting after getting load cell pedals - you're missing out!

I am an iRacing amateur so I just have the basic Xbox 360 racing wheel which has been working out ok for me so far. The only thing that I still sometimes struggle with are the pedals, especially the brake pedal. I tried the DIY method of stuffing a piece of sponge behind the pedal, and while it improved the feel, it is inconsistent as the input amount depends on how much the sponge has been smooshed down at the time when I calibrate and when hit the pedal.

Do any of you have any suggestions on any in-game tuning settings that would help with pedal set-up? I don't really know what brake force curve factor means or what changing it does. All I know is when I don't have anything down behind my brake I lock up the brakes all the time when I apply them.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

I finally broke down and ordered a G27 with fancy mods. So much for having money.

Anyway, I think I'm far enough along on my paint after putting a good chunk of time into it today and yesterday that I'll put it out there for ridicule and comments (mainly ridicule). In my preemptive defense, it's the first time I've tried making a custom paint. The speedway version is closer to being done than the road version, I'm still having trouble figuring out what to do with the rear pods and the road front wing: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjxlhz568iytah1/DW12%20WIP.tga?dl=0

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Design is looking good, the font is hard to read though because the text is dark and its on dark purple background and the outline is too fine to read at a distance. You could invert the colors of the text and it could make the text pop more, or else you would have to experiment with a bolder font.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

drat, I was hoping that it was just my roommate that was going to have trouble reading the text. I thought it was okay except for the driver name bit, but I didn't really care how legible that was from a distance. I'm borrowing the color scheme and the black on white text from an old hockey jersey that I love, but I guess I'll have to play around with that.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

At a minimum I think you could go over the outline with a 3 point white paintbrush and thicken it up, and make the logo a little bigger. You can see where I worked the outline.

Then go back with like a 2 point brush and make sure there's a discernible gap inside the black part where the letters get narrow

Doom Sleigher fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 25, 2014

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
That's honestly just not a great font for the side of a race car. I would go with something a little less ornate.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

You should've seen my first choice, it was even worse! Hopefully I'll get a chance to play around with that again today.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Lord Crapulus posted:

You should've seen my first choice, it was even worse! Hopefully I'll get a chance to play around with that again today.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Haha okay maybe not quite that bad.

So since everything I've done so far has not required the use of fancy tools like "paintbrush", I figured I'd try making it easier to read with the tools I've been using before I try to learn something new or start on a new font search. This is with the font on bold and with a much larger outline (only on the sidepod, ignore the rear wing). I did it with white letters and a black outline too, but I think with the bold and large outline it didn't make much of a difference.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Lord Crapulus posted:

So since everything I've done so far has not required the use of fancy tools like "paintbrush", I figured I'd try making it easier to read with the tools I've been using before I try to learn something new or start on a new font search. This is with the font on bold and with a much larger outline (only on the sidepod, ignore the rear wing). I did it with white letters and a black outline too, but I think with the bold and large outline it didn't make much of a difference.

I like that a lot more. Easier to read but it still keeps the 'character' of the font - really like how the font reflects the name and the logo

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Lord Crapulus posted:

Yeah this looks way better.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Lord Crapulus posted:

Changing the font size between the lines might help too. Nighthawk is already the narrower word so if you either bump that up a couple sizes or bump the Motorsports size down it might give it a little better look. Your eyes will also recognize the general shape of the word 'motorsport' anyway so you can afford to make it a bit smaller to make your name more readable.

e: Also the way to use difficult templates (like the open wheel cars) is to cheat. My old paint scheme was just a 1024x1024 canvas covered in different colored overlapping shapes with some low-alpha tear texture over it, I just copied it onto the Indycar template and slapped a couple logos on it. The other thing I learned is you can copy the mask layer (that iRacing provides), and if you put a sizeable enough stroke on the layer it will give you nice thick edging wherever the seams meet so you don't have to worry as much about lining things up as exactly.

Dynamite Dog fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 25, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So Townsend Bell turned your car inside out for the 500, eh?

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

the star mazda at montreal this week has been utterly horrible. I don't really understand it. It's a hard track, but i don't think it warrants nearly as many wrecks as it creates. I really need to start qualifying - it seems that starting from the back/pits isn't really feasible in road racing compared to oval, or at least on narrow tracks like gilles. I've been taken out in a ridiculous fashion in 4/5 races this week, mostly people spinning right ahead of me or not using the brakes going into the chicanes/hairpins and crashing straight into the back of my car. It's without a doubt the worst experience I have had in my short road racing career in terms of getting taken out in situations where I'm driving cautiously.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I had a guy whos controller died yesterday racing at Charlotte. Hit the wall, went down the bank at turn 3 and went back up to the wall between 3 and 4. Got got a few people with that move, including me. It was the 3rd lap.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

thehacker0 posted:

the star mazda at montreal this week has been utterly horrible.
You should(n't) try Skip Barbers at COTA :suicide:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Helicon One posted:

You should(n't) try Skip Barbers at COTA :suicide:

COTA is a garbage track so problem solved.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Why would you want to drive the Skippy at a track with such long straights anyway? What is that, like a 3 minute lap with the pack in draft lock? I remember back when I was doing Skippys following the scheduling thread in the forums, and I was amazed that everyone wanted to just drive all the GP tracks instead of the shorter club configurations that seem like they'd work really well with that car.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Gotta drive what I see on TV, man.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

thehacker0 posted:

the star mazda at montreal this week has been utterly horrible.

I suck and I think Montreal is a pretty easy track :iiam:

About 90% of the corners on the track are pretty slow speed corners, so you'll benefit from low downforce setups. The key to Montreal is gearing

Without doing any testing, this is what I would recommend: I assume no liability for damage to anyone's SR/IR

Lord Crapulus posted:

Why would you want to drive the Skippy at a track with such long straights anyway? What is that, like a 3 minute lap with the pack in draft lock? I remember back when I was doing Skippys following the scheduling thread in the forums, and I was amazed that everyone wanted to just drive all the GP tracks instead of the shorter club configurations that seem like they'd work really well with that car.

The Skippy isn't designed for full GP circuits, same thing with most ovals > 1mi in length.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

I've been taking the week off of the skippy. Cota is a cool circuit, but its difficult and not particularly rewarding in that car. I figure I'll spend the week racing all the series that I largely neglect due to how much I enjoy the skippy (ie. star mazda, advanced mx-5 and GT3)

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

KingShibby posted:

The Skippy isn't designed for full GP circuits, same thing with most ovals > 1mi in length.

The Skippy is amazing in a big pack at Pocono though.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

According to the guy responsible for the skippy schedule each season, here is the shortened six week season 4 schedule:

Week 1 - Mosport
Week 2 - Lime Rock Park
Week 3 - Donington National
Week 4 - Road America
Week 5 - Barber Full
Week 6 - Zandvoort GP

He is still working out the laps for each track, but I think it's pretty much finalized. I think it looks pretty good, considering the shortened season. Excited to race at Mosport, lime rock and road america next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope they get the drat Rift DK2 into that update.

• Locked thread