Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
Some of the characters in The Hunt have such retarded forms of logic, it feels like they belong in Fargo.

"Children never lie." That teacher is a real dreamboat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Those people absolutely exist though. A bunch of them are in school systems too. World is a crazy place.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

I just watched a pretty cool low-budget French thriller called "Sleepless Night" (Nuit Blanche).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1683921/

It's not ground-breaking, but it's nicely shot and moves at a brisk pace. Entertaining way to spend an hour and a half.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Those people absolutely exist though. A bunch of them are in school systems too. World is a crazy place.

This for real. That's what makes it so terrifying. Compared to real life events like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMartin_preschool_trial, and many more, The Hunt is extremely plausible. What makes it even better is the police in the movie do their jobs in a completely reasonable manner, it's not even a story about a man being wrongly convicted by the law. Absolutely terrifying.

And what's even worse is we also live in a world where people can find Jerry Sandusky raping a kid in a shower and ignore it and cover it up and thousands of morons will come out in support!

As far as the ending goes it makes sense if you think that if the father of the original accuser has decided he's innocent and stands behind him then most people will probably grudgingly acknowledge they were wrong. Especially in light of the fact that it's pretty clear all of the other kids were totally bullshitting. Obviously not everyone agrees since someone tried to blow his head off, and you can see a lot of awkward tension between people at the end.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 26, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Something tells me I need to watch this movie before it gets spoiled somehow.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There's really not too much to "spoil" in the movie, it's more about watching the events unfold rather than some big specific moments. Not saying there aren't very specific moments that ring truer than others, but they can mostly be described as "that scene in the supermarket" and "that scene at his home."

You really should still watch it soon, though, because it's really loving good.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

No question, you should watch it because it's a loving phenominal movie.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

A whoooooollleeeeee bunch of big title movies got added today.

Everybody watch Fast Five and A History of Violence. Don't ever watch Across the Universe, though, no matter how much your musically tone-deaf friends try to convince you otherwise.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Oh man, History of Violence. I saw that one in theaters. Some guy brought his four year old, who kept crying, it was unreal. That poor kid is probably scarred for life.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Oh man, History of Violence. I saw that one in theaters. Some guy brought his four year old, who kept crying, it was unreal. That poor kid is probably scarred for life.

What the gently caress? Can't they refuse you if you have a kid who isn't even school aged into an R rated movie?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also, never never never watch Æon Flux, especially if you ever liked the series to any degree.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What the gently caress? Can't they refuse you if you have a kid who isn't even school aged into an R rated movie?

Remember Apocalypto? Someone did the same when I saw it in the theater.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

R is just Restricted without a parent or guardian. If you have that then they can't really stop you. The you can combine that with the fact that some people are just lovely parents.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

GonSmithe posted:

Everybody watch Fast Five and A History of Violence. Don't ever watch Across the Universe, though, no matter how much your musically tone-deaf friends try to convince you otherwise.

Are you sure? I tried looking up a few of those titles and didn't see them. It almost looks like the Netflix Canada catalog though.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

GonSmithe posted:

Also watch High Noon.

E: I'm not seeing History of Violence or any of the Fast and Furious movies up

Alfred P. Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 25, 2014

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

axleblaze posted:

Also, never never never watch Æon Flux, especially if you ever liked the series to any degree.

Giving the only black character monkey feet felt like a bad decision.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

E: I'm not seeing History of Violence or any of the Fast and Furious movies up

Me either.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

morestuff posted:

Giving the only black character monkey feet felt like a bad decision.

Sadly, I think this is the only thing I remember about that movie.

The original shorts really were the best Aeon Flux.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I tried looking up A History Of Violence and Addams Family Values and neither came up. YOU DON'T DICK A GUY AROUND ABOUT THOSE MOVIES, BRO

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I tried looking up A History Of Violence and Addams Family Values and neither came up. YOU DON'T DICK A GUY AROUND ABOUT THOSE MOVIES, BRO

I'm most disappointed about Armageddon, I was all excited to rewatch it :smith:

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Yeah, none of those are available on US Netflix.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

axleblaze posted:

R is just Restricted without a parent or guardian. If you have that then they can't really stop you. The you can combine that with the fact that some people are just lovely parents.

I remember selling tickets to a family of four, two parents and two small children, both under 10, to a showing of Blindness. And I wanted to say something, but I couldn't quite figure out the best way to mention gangrape in front of a family.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's one of the very few times a theatre employee has any power at all.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
It really depends on the theater. When Hostel came out and I was working at one, the box office wasn't allowed to sell tickets to minors regardless of a parent/guardian doing the buying. Everyone was carded when they were tearing tickets, and if someone didn't have proof of age, they were turned away. Even if a parent/guardian was attending the movie with a minor, the minor was not allowed in. Our managers did that because they didn't want to deal with the headache that would inevitably follow when the horrified parents realized what they took their kids to and immediately scream and howl at the employees for letting them in.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Someone brought their baby to see 300 in the theater I saw it at.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Huh. Well on the website jt looks like the cover pictures are broken for a lot of them, so they might have been put in the system but aren't able to be watched yet. Or the website I use hosed up, but I've literally never seen them make a mistake before and I've been using that website for like a year and a half now.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

GonSmithe posted:

Huh. Well on the website jt looks like the cover pictures are broken for a lot of them, so they might have been put in the system but aren't able to be watched yet. Or the website I use hosed up, but I've literally never seen them make a mistake before and I've been using that website for like a year and a half now.

At least they're honest

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Alterian posted:

The Dawn of the Dead remake was my most memorable "kids should NOT be here" movie moments. A 12 year old sitting in front of us with her brothers who had to be like 4 and 6. She covered their eyes for the blurred Sarah Polley shower scene, but of course all the horror and gore was fine for them to watch.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dr. Clockwork posted:

The Dawn of the Dead remake was my most memorable "kids should NOT be here" movie moments. A 12 year old sitting in front of us with her brothers who had to be like 4 and 6. She covered their eyes for the blurred Sarah Polley shower scene, but of course all the horror and gore was fine for them to watch.

:patriot:

That's America, nudity is bad, violence is A-OK!

:911:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Enough about The Hunt - has anyone watched The Galapagos Affair?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

:patriot:

That's America, nudity is bad, violence is A-OK!

:911:

True story my mom would stick her hand over my eyes during the 3 second tits scene in Braveheart but the rest of the movie was fine for me to watch. :911:

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Did anyone notice anything unusual about the editing in The Fall? I just finished the first season, and while I enjoyed the general approach they used, a lot of rising action scenes seemed like the cuts were slightly more frequent than you might expect.

It's subtle enough that I can't decide whether it's really effective at heightening the tension & increasing the narrative contrast, really artificial & hamfisted, or maybe I'm just imagining the whole thing.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Enough about The Hunt - has anyone watched The Galapagos Affair?

I haven't, is it good? Like any discerning moviegoer I thought the poster sucked so I haven't seen it yet.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Ty Burrell loving Kim Poirier in a Starbucks during a musical montage seems pretty scarring, honestly. I know it's burned into my brain.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Alterian posted:

Saw Monster's Ball in a theater where it was just me, my wife, and a lady with four children whose ages ranged from 9 down to 2.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I remember seeing The Aristocrats in a theater with a family and kids sitting right behind me. They lasted about 10 minutes into that movie.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I remember splurging to see Watchmen in IMAX with my wife, and two minutes before showtime, a family with two 8 year old boys sat down in the seats directly next to us. At any point after the arm bone breaking out of the skin, a superhero cutting a man's face apart with a meat cleaver, or a brutal rape scene, the parents would have called it quits, but nope, they sat through the whole thing in stony silence.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
OK, I'll be the guy who says The Sacrament was actually pretty good. The biggest problem it had was that there were some scenes that dragged on way too long, especially in the last act. And I guess being very unoriginal, but that didn't really bother me. From everything Ti West has done it seems to me that he should do short films, because You're Next and The Innkeepers also suffered from "this would make a better short film" syndrome.

Still, I'd give it a shot at least.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The whole thing with R rated movies allowing parents to bring their young kids is just really bizarre to me as a non American. Who thought this was a good idea? The UK system where you have 15 and 18 rated films and nobody below those ages are admitted seems much more sensible.

Since this is the Netflix thread, what is Netflix's policy on censorship? I know they have some fairly explicit stuff on there, I'm surprised there hasn't been more conservative outrage at these vile internet filth peddlers.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I dunno, honestly the biggest problem I can find with taking kids to see Watchmen is they wouldn't completely understand it. Pretty big chunks of the story don't really add up unless you have at least a cursory understanding of the late Cold War geopolitical climate- I read the comic when I was like 10 and saw the movie when I was 14 (my first unaccompanied R-rated movie, actually) and my main takeaway from both until I got older and more knowledgeable was "drat, Dr. Manhattan is cool."

Given how many people here and elsewhere on the internet saw Robocop, Predator, and other similarly gory movies at young ages and came out mostly fine I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be a terribly big deal.

mod sassinator posted:

I remember seeing The Aristocrats in a theater with a family and kids sitting right behind me. They lasted about 10 minutes into that movie.

They probably thought it was The Aristocats, the Disney movie. :lol:

e: Netflix doesn't really care about censorship but there's a "Netflix for Kids" thing and it's compliant with the parental locks on any device you set it up on. The only time I've ever actually used the parental lock on my Xbox was to keep my autistic little brother away from the horror movies.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

From everything Ti West has done it seems to me that he should do short films, because You're Next and The Innkeepers also suffered from "this would make a better short film" syndrome.

Have you seen his short from the first V/H/S movie? It's pretty good.

I felt the same way about The Innkeepers. Ti West didn't do You're Next, though (although he has a cameo in it as the dude who gets an arrow through his head)

• Locked thread