Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Al! posted:

It seems a little weird to me that nobody has mentioned that Thumbs Network Three Moves Ahead cohost Tom Chick is battling cancer and has a crowdfunding campaign here so there you go.

Uh, how do we know this fundraiser is actually associated with Tom Chick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

EC posted:

I remember setting up Quake so it would work over the LAN at my Dad's office. Three of us would play constantly, which was probably not good for his business at the time. Then I discovered mouselook, and all of a sudden they couldn't keep up. Then I found the grappling hook mod, and they stopped playing me completely.

Mods ruined my childhood, is what I'm saying.

Quakehaters dot tumblr dot com

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sober posted:

Pretty sure somewhere, someone on the internet is celebrating that because Tom Chick gave a game he didn't like an actual bad score.

I loving hate to say it, but it's probably true.

This was instantly my first thought too. There was someone out there who read the news and cried out "the ritual worked!"

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

This week's Thumbs chats about Steam Curators quite a bit, and how the system is ranked, so I decided to check it out.

Well, the good news is that the Thumbs' list is above Giant Bomb's!

The unfathomably worse news, is, well, just, ugh:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pasco posted:

I wasn't aware it was a competition

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Pasco posted:

This week's Thumbs chats about Steam Curators quite a bit, and how the system is ranked, so I decided to check it out.

The unfathomably worse news, is, well, just, ugh:

quote:

Mafia II
"Daniel Vavra, one of the developers of Mafia 2, is one of the most fierce supporters of GamerGate and transparency in gaming journalism."

ORION: Prelude
"David Prassel, the creator, supports Gamer Gate. In a post in the Trek Industries blog titled "Gaming Press: You have failed this city"."

Epic Battle Fantasy 4
"Matt Roszak supports GamerGate. According to him, he just wants to make videogames without the risk of backlash just because of politics."

Nice list!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Thanks gamergate a list of games I can safely ignore.

BRB following Double Fine so they can outrank these shitheels

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

fatherboxx posted:

Nice list!
Look man, we just want to experience art, not politics! *Shoots line of captive woman who were apparently being held for alien tentacle sex in Duke Nukem Forever*

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

"Matt Roszak supports GamerGate. According to him, he just wants to make videogames without the risk of backlash just because of politics."

"if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" - Ayn "Rush" Rand, 2112

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Oh my god, I had to check to see if they picked any Stardock games. Sure enough:

quote:

Galactic Civilizations® III

"Brad Wardell, CEO of Stardock was victim of corrupt journalism when a false claim of sexual harassment was spread on the internet."

Wowie zowie, these guys.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

al-azad posted:

Thanks gamergate a list of games I can safely ignore.

BRB following Double Fine so they can outrank these shitheels

You realize you do exactly the same thing as they do - picking the games not on their own merit, but on political agendas of their creators? :ironicat:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Pyromancer posted:

You realize you do exactly the same thing as they do - picking the games not on their own merit, but on political agendas of their creators? :ironicat:

Well, one agenda is equality, and the other agenda is sexual harassment, thanks for showing me their moral equivalence.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
That poo poo is still going on? Wait is the gbs gamergate thread sincere or ironic. I couldn't tell taking a glance at it?

That steam music thing came out after the thumbs recorded this episode, right? Really want to hear them, Chris on particular talk about that for a bit.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Pyromancer posted:

Their political agendas are horrible and should be mocked.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Pyromancer posted:

Perhaps the truth...

is somewhere in the middle?!

It's not. gently caress GamerGate.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Stan Taylor posted:

That poo poo is still going on? Wait is the gbs gamergate thread sincere or ironic. I couldn't tell taking a glance at it?

That steam music thing came out after the thumbs recorded this episode, right? Really want to hear them, Chris on particular talk about that for a bit.

EVERYONE on both sides is poo poo. Just watch the poo poo show and don't jump in.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

BexGu posted:

EVERYONE on both sides is poo poo. Just watch the poo poo show and don't jump in.

Ok I'll bite, how are people who are anti the GamerGate shitheads "poo poo"?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

EC posted:

They put politics (of the kind that i dont like) in my precious videogames. :qq:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

EC posted:

Re: Zoe Quinn:

BexGu posted:

Its easier to image her as the Honey Boo Boo of the internet. Rolling around in the filth gets her off AND paid.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
There's plenty of reasons not to like Zoe Quinn and various other people targeted by the horseshit brigade but their failings aren't anywhere close to comparable and pulling some "everyone is terrible" South Park garbage is indistinguishable from siding with the people making the rape and death threats.

EDIT: (please disregard the "plenty of reasons not to like Zoe Quinn" part, it was misguided cushioning of the point)

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 30, 2014

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Oh my god, I had to check to see if they picked any Stardock games. Sure enough:

Wowie zowie, these guys.

I'm still excited about Gal Civ 3 though.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

augustus gluten posted:

I'm fine with liking things lovely people also like. If I weren't, I'd have to stop playing video games althogether. And listening to music. And watching movies.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I think the stardock issue is that it was made by a lovely person. The rule still stands though, essentially.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Pyromancer posted:

I find nothing wrong with that!
It helps that the games are also not very good, except for GalCiv2!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

augustus gluten posted:

I'm conflicted. The Gal Civ games are probably the least worst of all the modern interpretations of Master of Orion.

I wish someone else would come out with a better or equally good version!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HMS Boromir posted:

There's plenty of reasons not to like Zoe Quinn and various other people targeted
Please, do list who and why, back that claim up. :allears:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

EC posted:

Leigh Alexander is....not really pleasant person: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=435145064

And Zoe has gone full Brad Wardell and suing the Ex which will make for some great reading once the course docs get released.

If you feel you got a side in this fight take it to the gamegate thread. I'm sure Kewpuh doesn't want to deal with this thread becoming Game's hidden GamerGate hideout.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 25, 2014

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

What in the gently caress.

I'm glad nobody has a reason to cherry-pick through my tweets to make me look like an rear end in a top hat.

edit: hahaha, I'm actually in that post

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Piss off, Invictus, I don't have anything to prove to you. There's as many reasons to dislike them as anyone else on this planet that puts words on the internet. The fact that I don't like a few games journalists doesn't make me a gamersgatelord.

EDIT: (this post was a bad idea and misrepresented what I was actually trying to say)

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 30, 2014

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

What in the gently caress.

I'm glad nobody has a reason to cherry-pick through my tweets to make me look like an rear end in a top hat.

edit: hahaha, I'm actually in that post

Also in that post is @oliviataters, a bot that is programmed to tweet like a teen.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

augustus gluten posted:

I'm going to pirate it, then delete it, then pirate it again

Every torrent finished is a lost sale :colbert:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

HMS Boromir posted:

Piss off, Invictus, I don't have anything to prove to you. There's as many reasons to dislike them as anyone else on this planet that puts words on the internet. The fact that I don't like a few games journalists doesn't make me a gamersgatelord.

Why is this the response literally every time someone blunders in, says "well, the people being targeted are bad too" and someone asks for specifics.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I have to assume you're just misunderstanding my point, because "the people being targeted are bad too" is precisely what I was arguing against. They're not "bad, too" and that's not what I said, that was BexGu. What I said is that I dislike some of them, or I guess their writing, if that makes it sound like less of a personal attack. My point is that there's no conceivable reason for disliking them that puts them on the same level of "poo poo" as the literal criminals currently attempting to ruin their lives.

In retrospect I kind of stepped on my own caltrops by cushioning the point in "it's okay to dislike people" because it shouldn't have needed saying and doing so made me sound like I was giving legitimacy to the exact sort of South Park bullshit I had intended to call out. My bad.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 25, 2014

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

BexGu posted:

Leigh Alexander is....not really pleasant person: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=435145064

And Zoe has gone full Brad Wardell and suing the Ex which will make for some great reading once the course docs get released.

If you feel you got a side in this fight take it to the gamegate thread. I'm sure Kewpuh doesn't want to deal with this thread becoming Game's hidden GamerGate hideout.

I'm really sad (but not surprised) that there's threads like this on SA.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
The gamers.txt thread really confused me when all of this stuff first started happening. I'd dropped in there a few times and it always seem to make fun of bad opinions like the kind we see with this gamergate nonsense, but as soon as the whole Zoe Quinn "story" broke, it turned into horrible poo poo immediately. Maybe I'm naive and only hang out in bubbles here, but while SA has some bad opinions I was actually surprised by that.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

BexGu posted:

Maybe don't just Kramer into a thread with it then?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Leigh Alexander just seems like a very unpleasant person. Did she deserve all the backlash for being a disruptive drunk on the Giantbomb E3 video a few years ago? No (because worse haves since appeared on those videos and have received half as much backlash). When I read her articles a lot of the time I feel like she's talking down to those she is writing for and she seems to think that writing opinion pieces makes her a Journalist with a capital J, which always makes me laugh. I think the most civil I have ever seen her (while still fishing for a confrontational argument) was when she had an exchange with Shawn Elliot a year or so ago.

Just another shouting voice in a hoopla of shouting voices.

Oh and to keep things on topic, more horror stories from Dan in the latest Giantbombcast. I'm honestly surprised his liver hasn't gone to the authorities seeking protection from Dan yet. The stuff that man put in his body during the "college years".

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Chris/Jake/Danielle (if she reads this)

How did you miss the archetypal "older wiser man teaches dumb poor woman" in Pigmalion / My Fair Lady.

I could be a big dumb theater / movie dork. Thats pretty likely in fact.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ulta posted:

Chris/Jake/Danielle (if she reads this)

How did you miss the archetypal "older wiser man teaches dumb poor woman" in Pigmalion / My Fair Lady.

I could be a big dumb theater / movie dork. Thats pretty likely in fact.

Listening to that segment in the Thumbs episode the first thought that came to mind was "We've side-stepped from the magical negro to the magical female." Growing up as a fan of Stephen King taught me that all black characters were wizened god-like figures who exist to guide the white lead through their lovely lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

al-azad posted:

Listening to that segment in the Thumbs episode the first thought that came to mind was "We've side-stepped from the magical negro to the magical female." Growing up as a fan of Stephen King taught me that all black characters were wizened god-like figures who exist to guide the white lead through their lovely lives.

Growing up as a fan of Stephen King made me read his books during the early 2000s, where every mentally challenged kid can fix the magic/alien/mystical thing that's Wrong With Everything.

• Locked thread