Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Jackson Taus posted:

Not sure at what point this becomes a necro, but what are folks impressions with using an auto-dialer for persuasion calls? I've seen it used effectively with GOTV, but it seems a lot less effective with persuasion - yeah you're getting more contacts, but because it's coming from an out-of-district number and there's a delay when they pick up that makes it sound like you're a telemarketer, they basically hate you before you've gotten two words out. Has anyone had similar experiences or better ones?

There isn't any reason it has to be an out-of-district number, most dialers let you set the caller ID number to whatever you want. There is slight loss on quality with a dialer but the quantity increase is well worth it. My favorite is hubdialer, for what it is worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
The only problem with auto dialers is that there is a pause so you will lose a lot of people who think you are a telemarketer. Plus, you won't have names unlike a votebuilder list. However, it will eventually weed out bad numbers and it will let you open up your universe a bit.

Just make sure that you train people REALLY WELL on hubdialer/autodialer/jetdial. You need a bunch of well trained folks for it to work the right way.

edit: Also, it's not necroing the thread since I imagine there will be more questions the closer we get to E-Day!

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

The only problem with auto dialers is that there is a pause so you will lose a lot of people who think you are a telemarketer. Plus, you won't have names unlike a votebuilder list. However, it will eventually weed out bad numbers and it will let you open up your universe a bit.

Just make sure that you train people REALLY WELL on hubdialer/autodialer/jetdial. You need a bunch of well trained folks for it to work the right way.

edit: Also, it's not necroing the thread since I imagine there will be more questions the closer we get to E-Day!
If you use the computer enabled version you can have names. (And votebuilder actually has a predictive dialer in it, though I think it is kind of crap). The pause is really the only drawback.

And yes, training is really important on it. But once people get used to it they love it, especially if you've hit your universe enough that contact rates are real bad dialing manually.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

G-Hawk posted:

If you use the computer enabled version you can have names. (And votebuilder actually has a predictive dialer in it, though I think it is kind of crap). The pause is really the only drawback.

And yes, training is really important on it. But once people get used to it they love it, especially if you've hit your universe enough that contact rates are real bad dialing manually.

Yeah, I used the votebuilder predictive dialer. But the pause freaking murders us on these persuasion calls - it's not just me, staffers and interns had the same issue. Folks already aren't especially thrilled to talk politics and issues on a cold call before Labor Day, but that pause just seems to get them in the "gently caress telemarketers" frame of mind. Is there anything more I can do beyond jumping right into it on the beep and trying to be as cheery as possible?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jackson Taus posted:

Yeah, I used the votebuilder predictive dialer. But the pause freaking murders us on these persuasion calls - it's not just me, staffers and interns had the same issue. Folks already aren't especially thrilled to talk politics and issues on a cold call before Labor Day, but that pause just seems to get them in the "gently caress telemarketers" frame of mind. Is there anything more I can do beyond jumping right into it on the beep and trying to be as cheery as possible?

Honestly if it's a long weekend, try to shift people to doors more than phone calls.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

I've never noticed the pause causing that much of an issue, and i've been on campaigns doing hundreds of thousands of calls on predictives. You'll lose a few people who hang up quickly, but other than that if the callers are trained well it should be fine.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
The pause depends on the training of your staff plus the dialer you are using. The VAN dialer tends to have a longer pause than some other products, in my experience. The pause may be longer if there is a lot of stress on the system (i.e. very large numbers of people on at once will cause the computer to take longer to direct a call to a person on the dialer).

It's important that staff and volunteers say hello as soon as the tone occurs. Even an extra second can turn a conversation awkward. However, I wouldn't blame difficulty with persuasion calls on the dialer. People don't like to get calls in general, regardless of whether they are on the dialer or manually placed. You just gotta roll with the punches and push through. Even with a one to two second pause it's still many times more efficient than manual dialing.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

CobwebMustardseed posted:

What's up superPAC buddy? :hfive:

I was just coming here to grip about how much it sucks to have friends on the other side of the firewall and not being able to hang out with them, despite being in the same city. :(

This post is a bit old but:

You can hang out with your friends on the campaign side. That's totally OK and not at all illegal. The "firewall" between SuperPAC and campaign is even looser than the firewall between official and campaign side for electeds. There are only a few things that are restricted. In general, the SuperPAC doesn't have to worry what they say. They can basically communicate whatever they want. The campaign side should avoid giving an opinion on the SuperPAC's activities or talk about what they are doing.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006
Aside from my work number being the contact number on our state website and all our lit it also seems to be the number used for our autodialer. I've had quite a few late night call backs that I just turn it off at COB since everyone has my personal number if they need to reach me.

Concerned Citizen posted:

You can hang out with your friends on the campaign side. That's totally OK and not at all illegal. The "firewall" between SuperPAC and campaign is even looser than the firewall between official and campaign side for electeds. There are only a few things that are restricted. In general, the SuperPAC doesn't have to worry what they say. They can basically communicate whatever they want. The campaign side should avoid giving an opinion on the SuperPAC's activities or talk about what they are doing.
That's a fine line I personally wouldn't want to risk since sometimes people have a dumb moment and mention something that would be considered coordination. Our procedures in place also are really strict though to the point that being alone or in a small group in the same room as someone from a party or candidate is essentially viewed as an immediate eject situation. I think that's primarily over brand concerns though as opposed to superPAC coordination laws being strict in the slightest (lmao).

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.

The pause may be longer if there is a lot of stress on the system (i.e. very large numbers of people on at once will cause the computer to take longer to direct a call to a person on the dialer).

This is the exact opposite of my experience. If only a few people are using the system, it will be slow and laggy. The more people on it, the better it works (because it can dial more numbers at once and have more people available to receive calls). When you get a good 20 or 30 people on it, it'll be humming.

Eh, I think we're taking a very "better safe than sorry" approach there. I'm sure if I went and got a beer with my buddies on the coordinated side we could do it without breaking any laws, but I know the people above me would certainly not approve.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

This is the exact opposite of my experience. If only a few people are using the system, it will be slow and laggy. The more people on it, the better it works (because it can dial more numbers at once and have more people available to receive calls). When you get a good 20 or 30 people on it, it'll be humming.
20-30 is optimal, very large would be double or triple that.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

20-30 is optimal, very large would be double or triple that.

FYI if you do Jet Dial make sure you have a freaking huge universe.

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001
One of my favorite memories of field organizing is burning through a 3-4k people universe with the predictive dialer... With my google voice number somehow ending up as the callback number. Never again

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
In my telemarketing days we used insidesales.com and that worked fantastic with no lag at all, the downside being that you listened to the entire ring pattern. (which got really annoying when you're burning through your call list every hour on the hour and you're stuck listening to the same guy with "Baby" as his ringback tone followed by a 'i'm so sorry about the song, i bought this phone off craigslist and can't figure out how to change it. leave a message") But the efficiency gained in not having to dial, and being able to take detailed notes in the lead made it way better than manual dialing, which is what every campaign I've volunteered for uses. Plus with IS there's a ton of settings for how to time followups, putting different people on different lists like "is willing to volunteer" or "is willing to attend fundraisers" etc so you can tailor each individual caller to a certain list depending on what you want to phone bank about, and the ability to run an email campaign through it as well.

Which reminds me, i have to show back up at the Weiland campaign office. I was supposed to help phone bank for three days but the first day i had to work late and the next my mom wound up in the hospital. Right now we can only hope that this whole EB-5 thing causes enough poo poo for Mike Rounds that between Rounds, Pressler and Howie the republican vote gets split enough that a united Democratic front can edge us out. But it's hopeless enough that at one debate Weiland actually addressed Mike Rounds as "Future senator Rounds..." and had to catch himself.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Monkey Fury posted:

One of my favorite memories of field organizing is burning through a 3-4k people universe with the predictive dialer... With my google voice number somehow ending up as the callback number. Never again

My actual work cell number shows up as the autodialer callback number since the campaign uses it for everything else in the state for our media/lit. Tried switching it tonight, didn't change at all. I don't even want to touch my voicemail and I've pretty much switched to using my personal phone for work until I start having an intern check my voicemails.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Tim Pawlenty posted:

My actual work cell number shows up as the autodialer callback number since the campaign uses it for everything else in the state for our media/lit. Tried switching it tonight, didn't change at all. I don't even want to touch my voicemail and I've pretty much switched to using my personal phone for work until I start having an intern check my voicemails.

OOOOH man that is going to be quite a slog/treat for the intern.

Make sure he tracks how many threaten to sue or tell you how evil you are.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

Any advice for when your male boss blatantly flirts with your female subordinate in a way that makes her uncomfortable? I brought her here with me and I feel responsible for her, but I'm not sure that saying something to him would be wise for either of our careers (hers or mine).

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Any advice for when your male boss blatantly flirts with your female subordinate in a way that makes her uncomfortable? I brought her here with me and I feel responsible for her, but I'm not sure that saying something to him would be wise for either of our careers (hers or mine).

That's really unacceptable behavior on his part and you should make sure she documents it. How many layers of management are there? Do you have a line to his boss and a relationship with that person? Is it a candidate campaign or a PAC/superPAC?

edit: okay you're with a superpac, so you probably have plenty of people to go to. make sure it's documented (i assume you saw it as well), have her back 100% since you aren't lovely and hope that campaign management or their parent organization takes it seriously (they should). the superpac i work for explicitly told us to go outside the chain over stuff like that.

Tim Pawlenty fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 9, 2014

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Any more updates Glyph?

I was scheduled to do two more in the following weeks, one of them got cancelled completely and the other one was moved to a day I couldn't do it, and then I heard basically nothing more.

Also, the one I did had us encouraged people to ask certain questions but... apparently had decided to no longer distribute the answers to those questions.

It just felt like a big disorganized mess, which sort of sapped any interest I had pretty strongly.

I think I'm gonna look into one of the other campaigns you suggested, maybe it's a reality of how this stuff works but I'm not particularly good at handling not knowing when whatever is happening in advance, my schedule tends to fill up with crap fast and I hate cancelling on people. Should have tried volunteering for Tolman, I ended up looking into him a lot more and I really like a lot of the stuff I read, but it looks like he already lost to Healey. But Healey looks pretty good too, although it doesn't seem like there will be much competition for her in the general so there's probably not much point. So I dunno what I'm gonna do now, I guess.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 10, 2014

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
So I couldn't find a political job before coming back, and got just a normal job. But I am still interested in volunteering for local/state campaigns here. The only thing is that I am unaffiliated.Do parties actually care if volunteers are actually in the party or not? If needed, I can change to Democrat when I register to vote (and probably should as I plan to run for office in 5-10 years), but I enjoy not being within a party for the moment.

The local party would be the best place to contact to find volunteer ops, right? Hopefully I can get a nice door-to-door or phone bank thing going to meet some folks.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Slaan posted:

So I couldn't find a political job before coming back, and got just a normal job. But I am still interested in volunteering for local/state campaigns here. The only thing is that I am unaffiliated.Do parties actually care if volunteers are actually in the party or not? If needed, I can change to Democrat when I register to vote (and probably should as I plan to run for office in 5-10 years), but I enjoy not being within a party for the moment.

The local party would be the best place to contact to find volunteer ops, right? Hopefully I can get a nice door-to-door or phone bank thing going to meet some folks.

Parties don't care unless you have a LONG history of working for the other party.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Slaan posted:

I can't imagine a Field Organizer in any campaign turning away an eager volunteer unless you're like personally known to them or their campaign as an opposing activist. They tend to be sufficient desperate for folks actually willing to work that they'll not really care if you're registered as an I.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
What are folks' thoughts on canvassing vs high-traffic events? My local campaign seems really focused on canvassing/phones vs. staffing at high-traffic events. They're obviously sending the candidate to events like 24/7, but my local town-level committee is getting pissed that nobody from the campaign will help them at like arts festivals on a Saturday because all the staffers and the campaign volunteers are knocking doors or making phone calls. Thoughts?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jackson Taus posted:

What are folks' thoughts on canvassing vs high-traffic events? My local campaign seems really focused on canvassing/phones vs. staffing at high-traffic events. They're obviously sending the candidate to events like 24/7, but my local town-level committee is getting pissed that nobody from the campaign will help them at like arts festivals on a Saturday because all the staffers and the campaign volunteers are knocking doors or making phone calls. Thoughts?

Canvasses are actual voters where high traffic events are a mishmash of who knows what. We have 6 weeks until the election, I would focus mostly on voter contact.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Okay, back to knocking on doors this weekend, looking forward to it. Hurrah.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

the eternal fight of local committees/etc who think events and visibility are a thing that matter versus campaigns who rightfully care about direct voter contact will never end.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So is the best way to get into campaign work just volunteering and hopefully moving up?

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

GreyPowerVan posted:

So is the best way to get into campaign work just volunteering and hopefully moving up?

You'll want experience as a volunteer if you want to get hired on future campaigns assuming your political work experience is zilch. Volunteer->Staff in a single campaign isn't necessarily something to bank on but if they are hiring and you seem like a good fit it can happen. If you're already volunteering a bunch and there isn't any staff openings ask for an internship under an organizer so you can develop your skills if field is what you want to do.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

Tim Pawlenty posted:

You'll want experience as a volunteer if you want to get hired on future campaigns assuming your political work experience is zilch. Volunteer->Staff in a single campaign isn't necessarily something to bank on but if they are hiring and you seem like a good fit it can happen. If you're already volunteering a bunch and there isn't any staff openings ask for an internship under an organizer so you can develop your skills if field is what you want to do.

I got hired as a field organizer with absolutely no field experience. I had literally never knocked on a door before. I had just finished school and sent my resume to every corner of the internet and found a campaign that needed organizers. I think if you can do solid interview, you could get an FO position right now, since it's the end of the cycle and practically every race is desperate to hire more organizers. Check out jobsthatareleft and democratic gain and tom manatos, you'll see a bunch of postings for top tier races that need FOs. If you can do well in an initial interview (basically show a willingness to work yourself into the ground for barely any money) and you're willing to travel, you can land yourself a job for the end of the cycle.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

I got hired as a field organizer with absolutely no field experience. I had literally never knocked on a door before. I had just finished school and sent my resume to every corner of the internet and found a campaign that needed organizers. I think if you can do solid interview, you could get an FO position right now, since it's the end of the cycle and practically every race is desperate to hire more organizers. Check out jobsthatareleft and democratic gain and tom manatos, you'll see a bunch of postings for top tier races that need FOs. If you can do well in an initial interview (basically show a willingness to work yourself into the ground for barely any money) and you're willing to travel, you can land yourself a job for the end of the cycle.

Yeah, willingness to travel is HUGE - you're really limiting your search if you're only willing to work races in your area. Plus you get to see exotic places like Nowheresville, Indiana or maybe even Kansas City!

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Yeah in even years if you're a recent college grad who isn't picky about location, you will have no issue finding a field organizer job.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

G-Hawk posted:

the eternal fight of local committees/etc who think events and visibility are a thing that matter versus campaigns who rightfully care about direct voter contact will never end.
Switching from campaign worker to local candidate, this has been absolutely frustrating. I'm going door-to-door on the weekends, talking directly to voters (a fair number of republicans are willing to jump the fence for local elections, happily) and generally doing my best to chat with folks and make connections, but the local party organization is growing increasingly concerned by the lack of yard-signs and throwaway brochures nobody reads.

I did a stint, I know what's what with campaigning, but apparently it's all about the little postcard-sized mailers and "VOTE FOR X" signs. "It proves you're a serious candidate," I've been told.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
What are the chances of someone from overseas getting a gig somewhere?

I'm in Australia and looking to get a bit more campaign experience and overseas seems like a good option in the years we're not having elections. I'm guessing the biggest issue would be getting a work visa. Anything else you can think of?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Switching from campaign worker to local candidate, this has been absolutely frustrating. I'm going door-to-door on the weekends, talking directly to voters (a fair number of republicans are willing to jump the fence for local elections, happily) and generally doing my best to chat with folks and make connections, but the local party organization is growing increasingly concerned by the lack of yard-signs and throwaway brochures nobody reads.

I did a stint, I know what's what with campaigning, but apparently it's all about the little postcard-sized mailers and "VOTE FOR X" signs. "It proves you're a serious candidate," I've been told.

Yard signs. Ugh, kill me now.

That said, in your case some lit might be a good idea - let them pass it out when they do their events or their own knocking or whatever. Nowhere near as useful as talking to voters yourself, but it's not like you can knock every door before E-Day.

Or maybe mail them out to a couple hundred folks right before the election - people may tell you they'll vote for you in June, but if they forget that or they forget that there's an election it doesn't do you much good.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Jackson Taus posted:

That said, in your case some lit might be a good idea - let them pass it out when they do their events or their own knocking or whatever. Nowhere near as useful as talking to voters yourself, but it's not like you can knock every door before E-Day.
In my case, I can-- it's only a township-level job I'm running for, and the township's rural and home to 6000 people on paper over 32 square miles (34 including lakes). Most of that's in 11 or so clusters.

It's been fairly easy to cover an entire neighborhood in a day, and it's local so at least some people already know me and talk me up. I've also taken to leaving business cards when I go door-to-door, since it provides my name & contact info, people can easily stick it on their fridge, and it's cheap and easy to print from home.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

In my case, I can-- it's only a township-level job I'm running for, and the township's rural and home to 6000 people on paper over 32 square miles (34 including lakes). Most of that's in 11 or so clusters.

It's been fairly easy to cover an entire neighborhood in a day, and it's local so at least some people already know me and talk me up. I've also taken to leaving business cards when I go door-to-door, since it provides my name & contact info, people can easily stick it on their fridge, and it's cheap and easy to print from home.

Oh wow I didn't realize your town was so small, I was thinking it was bigger than that for some reason. Yeah, it might be feasible to hit all those doors yourself.

But I reiterate my worry that folks you talk to in June will need another touch in October so they remember to go to the polls, especially if you don't have a competitive House or Senate race in your area.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Jackson Taus posted:

But I reiterate my worry that folks you talk to in June will need another touch in October so they remember to go to the polls, especially if you don't have a competitive House or Senate race in your area.
That's doable. I half-expect my opponent to do that work for me-- he blew a wad of cash during the primaries for yard signs, and since then has been fairly silent. He's gone on one vacation and is going on another one early in October. My bet is that after he returns, there'll be a flurry of stuff in the papers from his corner, all playing up what an excellent township clerk he's been, how qualified he is and reminding everyone when the election is. Plenty of people hate him and hate the township government (hence why a lot of folks from the other party have stated that they're willing to jump the fence for this race), so while the self-promotional stuff may not be that effective I wager his own work will remind people to vote against him.

Of course I'll go out on my own too, and not just bank on his efforts backfiring.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I had an interesting and fun volunteer experience the other day. I drove a candidate around a neighborhood while he knocked on doors. I didn't have to talk to anyone, just google addresses and let the candidate know the name, sex and party of the person he's visiting.

Easiest volunteer day ever.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Is there a secret to making fundraising asks? I'm a generally shy person and I hate asking folks for things, but now I've got to try to raise some money for my committee's fundraiser. It just really sucks calling up people you like and being like "give me money"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Hey when you are tinkering with cutting VAN lists what rang do you use on your likely voter scale? I've been using 50-100, but I don't know if that is good or not

• Locked thread