Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

So how are all the cool kids selling their old iPhones now? Gazelle and Amazon seem to lowball like crazy and eBay's fees are horrible. Is SA-Mart the best way to play?

Swappa is pretty easy and usually gets you the best value for your device. Amazon is usually better for sellers (sold a launch day 4S for $250 last month), Gazelle gives you poo poo but is convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Swappa is supposed to be safe for sellers too, no? I was going to post mine on there tonight.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Bottom Liner posted:

I have a 4 inch Belkin cable that's well constructed and works flawlessly.
Any of my previous Belkin gadgets have been great, so I'll look this up - thanks!

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Bottom Liner posted:

These are my legs. Hulk feels no pain.

loving gross.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

loving gross.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
Obviously everyone needs to be like me and just carry it in my purse. No bending!!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

not that big...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Lblitzer posted:

Swappa is pretty easy and usually gets you the best value for your device. Amazon is usually better for sellers (sold a launch day 4S for $250 last month), Gazelle gives you poo poo but is convenient.

OK, I'll give that a shot.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

nvm

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 25, 2014

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

Sooo has it just been the Plus that people have been bending or does the regular 6 do it too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IROcoJeVfSI

Don't know of any unintentional bends reported. It seems pretty sturdy even when this guy intentionally tries to bend it.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 25, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
That have been the victim of unintentional bending. I don't take folks damaging their phones on purpose as a serious issue.

Also note the modifier mostly.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

So the guy who did the original iPhone 6 Plus hand-bend test did a new video with the iPhone 6, HTC One M8, Moto X 2014, and some Nokia Lumia Windows Phone.

Spoiler: none of the phones budge much but the iPhone 6 is definitely the weakest. As a relatively strong guy I can't help but feel like I could definitely bend my iPhone 6 in my bare hands after watching this guy attempt it.

efb and all that

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ShoogaSlim posted:

So the guy who did the original iPhone 6 Plus hand-bend test did a new video with the iPhone 6, HTC One M8, Moto X 2014, and some Nokia Lumia Windows Phone.

Spoiler: none of the phones budge much but the iPhone 6 is definitely the weakest. As a relatively strong guy I can't help but feel like I could definitely bend my iPhone 6 in my bare hands after watching this guy attempt it.

efb and all that

As a big guy, I feel like there are a lot of things in this world that I could bend with my bare hands. However... I don't. So I don't see the problem here.

I mean, I haven't snapped a kitten's neck or my toddler's arm. ;)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 25, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Feenix posted:

not that big...

Said before you've actually started using it.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Can we get this guy to do a smartphone bend test? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RH1I6JHdxQ

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

ShoogaSlim posted:

efb and all that

Definitely the weakest? The other phones sound like celery stalks breaking. They may snap back to shape better but he definitely broke something on that HTC and Lumia.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Having worked AppleCare support in a call center before I expect Apple will replace bent phones that appear to be from "normal use." IE if there's some obvious impact from a fall or an extreme bend such as from sitting on it they will probably tell you to take a hike.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

How do I make it so that the order of things I want in the share button list thingy in Safari stick?

I want 1Password first, then copy, then add to reading list, etc and I know you can rearrange them in that "more" area by dragging them around but whenever I go back into that little list thing it reverts back to the default order and 1Password gets shoved off all the way to the right again.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Just for completeness sake since you've probably already seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVO_aleen6E

neat4lyfe198214 hours ago

This is not a real feature. If any of you have been paying attention to the news, this is actually a defect in the way of the phone was designed. From these defects, to the expensive data plans, to the ways they track down your data and information, children should be explicitly forbidden from having access to these devices. You better believe that Apple cares just as much about the structural integrity of its phones as it does about protecting children from dangerous predators.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If you can bend it easily in one hard push, you can easily bend it by applying slight force over a long time, ie in your "not tight" front pockets while sitting.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

terriyaki posted:

How do I make it so that the order of things I want in the share button list thingy in Safari stick?

I want 1Password first, then copy, then add to reading list, etc and I know you can rearrange them in that "more" area by dragging them around but whenever I go back into that little list thing it reverts back to the default order and 1Password gets shoved off all the way to the right again.

That's a bug. It should stick when you drag them around in the list view (and it does for me).

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 25, 2014

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

prom candy posted:

I just don't understand how you could exert enough pressure in your front pocket to bend your phone but not seriously hurt your leg or hip.

Legs are strong as hell and leverage is a thing that exists.

Small amount of force can work wonders when its far from the point that is bending.

i can see someone qickly squating to tie their shoe and possibly bending a plus.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The iPhone Thread: humble brag about your quads

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

efb and all that

Do people not understand that thin devices bend easily? Of course the iphone is going to bend more, it's at least 2mm thinner than everything else they're testing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I don't know why people have a hard time conceiving of the force exerted on a phone in a pocket. The 6+ has the disadvantage of being big enough that the pant folding at the hip acts as a pressure on the middle of the phone because the top of the phone is above that fold and the bottom is below.

Consider:

Without the phone, the pants will fold into the leg. With a smaller phone, the pants will fold above where the phone sits. With the phablet, the pants will fold in such a way that pushes the middle of the phone into the leg. Since the phone isn't sharp and won't cut the jeans, it'll bend.

I can make a diagram if someone wants.

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.
Is anyone finding that the vibrate switch is easily switched on and off again in their pocket? Usually have it set to vibrate, only to find out that it got switched back on once I get a text. Isn't a big issue at all, just really annoying when I'm in class and my phone goes off.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

tuyop posted:

I don't know why people have a hard time conceiving of the force exerted on a phone in a pocket. The 6+ has the disadvantage of being big enough that the pant folding at the hip acts as a pressure on the middle of the phone because the top of the phone is above that fold and the bottom is below.

Consider:

Without the phone, the pants will fold into the leg. With a smaller phone, the pants will fold above where the phone sits. With the phablet, the pants will fold in such a way that pushes the middle of the phone into the leg. Since the phone isn't sharp and won't cut the jeans, it'll bend.

Please make a diagram

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
After the 6 was announced I was concerned about the amount of pants chat in the thread. Now it's reached a whole other level that's out of this galaxy.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Bottom Liner posted:

These are my legs. Hulk feels no pain.

Check your privilege.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

tuyop posted:

Consider:

This is my theory get your own!!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hopefully Apple soon announces that every 6+ comes with a pair of relaxed fit Levi's.

Or maybe parachute pants will make a comeback with all those ridiculous pockets.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

tuyop posted:

Consider:

Gain weight bro. Fat man jeans have room to fit a 6+ and a pack of Marlboros side by side.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\ Yeah that person owns an iPhone 6+ so they're not me. Also I can assume that they're dumb.

vyst posted:

Please make a diagram

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

tuyop posted:

Consider:

same thing happens if the top of the phone is totally in the pocket, but near the stitch line, since the opening of the pocket is more constricted than the inner bag

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

tuyop posted:

27 8×10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one

I hate you

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

On a serious note is it a function of inseam or fit. I have a 29 inseam and threw a 6+ in my pocket at the store and still had a inch or two of space between the top of the phone and the little watch pocket thing. It could just be my fatman pants but I'm not sure.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

pzy posted:

I hate you

But do you see?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

CousinKevin posted:

Is anyone finding that the vibrate switch is easily switched on and off again in their pocket?

YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO KEEP IT IN YOUR POCKET

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Bottom Liner posted:

If you can bend it easily in one hard push, you can easily bend it by applying slight force over a long time, ie in your "not tight" front pockets while sitting.

This isn't true. Aluminum doesn't exhibit significant creep, certainly not under the temperatures we're seeing in someone's pocket. Unless you're stressing the material past the yield modulus (which is certainly possible with a thin enough cross section and appropriate mechanical advantage), you're not going to see permanent deformation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Haggins posted:

On a serious note is it a function of inseam or fit. I have a 29 inseam and threw a 6+ in my pocket at the store and still had a inch or two of space between the top of the phone and the little watch pocket thing. It could just be my fatman pants but I'm not sure.

Came here to post this as well, the phone sits pretty close to the top of my pocket but it'd be my thighs bending the phone and nothing to do with my hip?