Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

oldpainless posted:

Do dryer balls really make a difference in any appreciable way?

Having worked in white goods testing for a number of years, yes, in controlled tests they shorten the time required to dry and leave fluffier clothes, provided the dryer is not overloaded. I use 6 at all times at home, the energy savings from shorter dying times pays for them quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Why, on both major operating systems, moving the cursor up and left ends in it touching the edge of the screen, and moving it down and right ends with it going past the edge?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Why, on both major operating systems, moving the cursor up and left ends in it touching the edge of the screen, and moving it down and right ends with it going past the edge?

It doesn't. Unless you've confused about the point of a typical mouse cursor being the selection area. That stays on the screen to the bottom right but the rest of the cursor goes off screen because that's the only way you'd be able to select that portion of the screen.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Huh, I never thought of it that way. :downs: Thanks.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

From the system's view, the cursor only exists right at the tip of the arrow/finger. The body is just a bit of graphical flourish, and if it was prevented from leaving the right and bottom edges, you wouldn't be able to select anything on those edges that are closer to the edge than the dimensions of the graphic.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

My dad is trying to copy old videos from old video cameras which were analog, but he digitized them a while back (to .mpeg), and now he's trying to edit them. He basically wants to cut them up, remove unnecessary parts, and turn a 5 hour video composed of random bits and pieces from birthdays, vacations, and whatever, into shorter videos that he can upload and share with friends and family.

He's been working with Windows Movie Maker and some Medion piece of software that came with an old computer, and he can't get it to work to his liking. It's all too bulky and impractical, doesn't cut where he wants it to, stuff like that. Basically, it's too confusing.

Is there a good, free and easy to use video editing program that he could use to do this?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Taeke posted:

My dad is trying to copy old videos from old video cameras which were analog, but he digitized them a while back (to .mpeg), and now he's trying to edit them. He basically wants to cut them up, remove unnecessary parts, and turn a 5 hour video composed of random bits and pieces from birthdays, vacations, and whatever, into shorter videos that he can upload and share with friends and family.

He's been working with Windows Movie Maker and some Medion piece of software that came with an old computer, and he can't get it to work to his liking. It's all too bulky and impractical, doesn't cut where he wants it to, stuff like that. Basically, it's too confusing.

Is there a good, free and easy to use video editing program that he could use to do this?

On Windows? I struggled to find a program like this for years. Adobe Premiere is pretty good, but it's very advanced and expensive, and in my experience involved a ton of faffing around with codecs and poo poo. iMovie is exactly the kind of program that he wants, but he'd need a Mac do use it.

Many libraries have a sort of "MakerSpace" these days and they may have Macs there with iMovie on them (and people who love helping users learn). People bring their material in and are free to edit it how they see fit. That would satisfy the free, good, and easy to use requirements but it's not going to be convenient.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Windows Movie Maker will do it. You are trying to edit a compressed movie, which is bad news. Use MPEG Streamclip (Squared5) to convert it to something uncompressed (avi), edit it, then compress the finished product back to MPEG4.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

For $20, Womble MPEG-VCR will let you frame accurately cut up mpeg 1 or 2 video and recombine it into a new file without re-encoding.

e. use the 30 day trial, I haven't tried this in years and the website says there are some problems on Win 7 and plus.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 22, 2014

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

photomikey posted:

Windows Movie Maker will do it. You are trying to edit a compressed movie, which is bad news. Use MPEG Streamclip (Squared5) to convert it to something uncompressed (avi), edit it, then compress the finished product back to MPEG4.

That might do the trick, thanks. We'll try that tomorrow and I'll let you know if it worked.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Did Scrooge McDuck start out as a racial stereotype of penny-pinching Scots? I just heard about the negative stereotype recently with people talking about the Scottish referendum, and I just went :aaaaa: at the realization.

It wouldn't surprise me given Disney's shady history of racial commentary, just want to confirm.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I've got quite a strange question. Around 10 years ago a prank phone number was passed around my group of friends. Kind of like one of those numbers you get someone to dial and theres a pre-recorded person at the other end accusing them of something, but this number was far better than any of those. A Lady would answer and respond to common names ("Mrs Green", "Mrs Smith" etc), she would respond to absolutely anything you said and play along for a while before getting weird and normally offensive. At the time I thought it was a computer with voice recognition and text to speech but I realise now that it was way to advanced to have been that, and more likely an actual person at the other end. What was even stranger about it was, it was on a normal UK Orange mobile number and not premium rate. The number was active for probably 2 years or so. Outside of my group of friends at the time and people we pranked with the number, I've never met anybody else who came across it. The number is inactive now, I've tried googling the number but got 0 results. I'd absolutely love to find something like this again, or even just find somebody else who knew about it.

Fake edit: Didn't there used to be a thread for finding uh.. "things"? I think it was called something along the lines of "Lost stuff from before the internet"?

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

photomikey posted:

Try De-Interlacing.

This fixed all my problems - thank you.

I've ripped other DVDs before and never had a problem. Is this due to the way this particular DVD was encoded or the way they filmed it? I thought anything on a DVD was progressive scan and not interlaced.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

McKracken posted:

This fixed all my problems - thank you.

I've ripped other DVDs before and never had a problem. Is this due to the way this particular DVD was encoded or the way they filmed it? I thought anything on a DVD was progressive scan and not interlaced.
I believe you are backwards - everything on a DVD is interlaced. Virtually all movies are shot progressive and mastered to DVD de-interlaced (both fields the same). There may have been some reason this film was encoded interlaced, but more likely the guy who was doing the mastering didn't know the difference or just got a setting mixed up.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

photomikey posted:

I believe you are backwards - everything on a DVD is interlaced. Virtually all movies are shot progressive and mastered to DVD de-interlaced (both fields the same). There may have been some reason this film was encoded interlaced, but more likely the guy who was doing the mastering didn't know the difference or just got a setting mixed up.

DVDs have been able to be encoded with progressive scan for a long time now.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
How long does it take for data to travel around the world? Like, if I sent someone on the exact opposite side of the world a 1mb file, how long would it take for the transfer to complete?

This is probably unanswerable, but I imagine that you can assume a 25mb/s down connection on either end. If that matters.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The time for each bit to get to the other end of the world averages about half a second, maybe as low as 0.2 seconds or as high as 2 depending on where exactly and how many stops it needs to make. Think ping in video games, which is measured in milliseconds. However, transfer rates for files are going to mostly be limited by the senders upload speed, with physical distance making almost no difference at all.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
e: nvm

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

tuyop posted:

How long does it take for data to travel around the world? Like, if I sent someone on the exact opposite side of the world a 1mb file, how long would it take for the transfer to complete?

This is probably unanswerable, but I imagine that you can assume a 25mb/s down connection on either end. If that matters.

The time of the download is equal to the latency plus transfer time.

The latency of electrons through copper is about equal to the speed of light. A bit less, but speed-of-light works pretty well in calculations. The circumference of the earth is 40,000 km, so your max distance is 20,000 km, asssuming that you've got a straight wire from your computer to theirs, following the curvature of the earth. (This is a poor assumption.) The speed of light is 300,000 km/s, so latency is (20000 km) / (300,000 km/s) = 66 milliseconds.

Transfer time is size of file divided by bandwidth. For some goddamned reason, file sizes are measured in Bytes, and bandwidth is measured in bits per second. This means that your transfer time is (1 MB) * (8 b/B) / (25 Mb/s) = 320 milliseconds.

Your ideal transfer time is 480 milliseconds.

In the real world, your 1 MB file is split up into packets, which are transferred to your friend's computer over 8 or 10 "hops" - travelling from one router to another. Each router introduces a bit of latency as it reads a packet, stores bits of it in memory, and makes a decision about where to forward that packet to. Packets get dropped, and have to be re-sent, and the TCP protocol introduces delays, as your computer expects an "OK, I got it!" message back for every packet it sends. (At the very least, this doubles the latency of a message.) Gut-feeling: 3-5 seconds is probably reasonable; this is 6-10 times our "ideal" estimate, but weird things happen inside the real-life internet.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
If you're in an area with no light pollution (http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/) and one area is 7500 ft high and the other is at sea level, does it affect the clarity of seeing the stars?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

tuyop posted:

You could always try the experiment yourself: download something from the other side of the world and see how fast it goes. The exact other side of the world from you is very likely to be in the middle of an ocean, but you can get fairly close. I'm in the US, and I just tried a couple of servers in Australia that are mirroring a Linux distro. The files were coming in at roughly a couple of megabytes per second, which is getting pretty close to the maximum my cable modem can handle.

Your mileage may vary; it'll depend on the undersea cables that link the continents and also on what the network is like on either end. There's likely a lot more bandwidth available from New York to Sydney than there is from Tierra del Fuego to Kazakhstan, even though the distances are about the same.

Just remember that throughput and latency are very different things. To reuse an old half-joke, a station wagon full of backup tapes has pretty terrible latency (it has a "ping time" of an hour to go between datacenters) but excellent throughput (it moves hundreds of terabytes in one hour-long trip, much faster than the regular network connection). The latency to a server on the other side of the world will be a bit longer than it would be to something on the same continent as you -- a quarter of a second, let's say. You can't really get around that due to things like the speed of light and the increased number of network hops. But the total throughput is just a function of how big the undersea cables are.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think that's really cool and thanks for the router hopping image. I knew it couldn't be as straightforward as running a 20 000km CAT5 cable to the French Southern & Antarctic Lands, but:

Gravity Pike posted:

The latency of electrons through copper is about equal to the speed of light.

So what's the advantage of fiber optic cable then? Is it just diminishing returns since, I guess, using light is marginally faster than using copper? Greater throughput?

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

tuyop posted:

I think that's really cool and thanks for the router hopping image. I knew it couldn't be as straightforward as running a 20 000km CAT5 cable to the French Southern & Antarctic Lands, but:

So what's the advantage of fiber optic cable then? Is it just diminishing returns since, I guess, using light is marginally faster than using copper? Greater throughput?

Greater throughput and less signal noise. Fiber optics can carry more data farther with less degradation than copper.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Busy Bee posted:

If you're in an area with no light pollution (http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/) and one area is 7500 ft high and the other is at sea level, does it affect the clarity of seeing the stars?

I think this is one of those "technically yes, practically no" type of answers.

Yes, being higher up does make stars clearer, but I don't think 7500 feet is enough to notice a difference with the naked eye.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Busy Bee posted:

If you're dying to know I'm betting the people in the amateur astronomy megathread would know for sure.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What happened to the Xbone shark tank thread?

There's 180 posts I haven't skipped read through yet; it keeps saying I'm not allowed to access it, but I also can't find the thread itself anywhere.
Was it deleted outright?

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014
I just registered to SA, wonderful community.
Here's my question: Any way to add an avatar to my account? Or do I have to purchase an upgrade? (I'm not talking about a title but about the Image)

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

You buy one from clicking "New Avatar" in the purchase bar at the top.

NyxBiker posted:

:cawg:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

NyxBiker posted:

Leave, while you still can.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.

NyxBiker posted:

Here's my question: Any way to add an avatar to my account? Or do I have to purchase an upgrade? (I'm not talking about a title but about the Image)

Post a thread in GBS with the subject "requesting new avatar!" and make SURE to use one of these two tags:

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
What's the go-to simple and free IRC app these days?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I wouldn't call it the "go-to" app since I'm not sure how many use it, but KVIrc works fine for simple use.

zachol fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 25, 2014

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

NyxBiker posted:

Tell me you're going to try to J4G without reading the first two posts of the EVE thread... :allears:

To answer your question, there's a "New Avatar" link at the top of the page. It will allow you to:

- change your avatar image
- change your name
- change/add custom text; it allows colour and size changes as well.
- add "gang tags" in the area reserved for text

Avatar pics can be a maximum of 150x150 @ 100kb.

Hope this helps. :tipshat:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Liam Emsa posted:

What's the go-to simple and free IRC app these days?
mIRC is still probably the most used. I like X-Chat, and Chatzilla is a decent plugin for Firefox.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is it safe to buy from agreetao.com? Googling isn't too helpful, unless I'm doing it wrong.

I just want to buy 11$ worth of musical instruments, but I don't want my credit card stolen. No loss if the buck stops at 11$ or even 20$. Are there any... umm... credit card condoms or something?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

No Gravitas posted:

Is it safe to buy from agreetao.com? Googling isn't too helpful, unless I'm doing it wrong.

I just want to buy 11$ worth of musical instruments, but I don't want my credit card stolen. No loss if the buck stops at 11$ or even 20$. Are there any... umm... credit card condoms or something?

Who is your card through? They may offer something like this.

https://www.bankofamerica.com/privacy/accounts-cards/shopsafe.go

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bovril Delight posted:

Who is your card through? They may offer something like this.

https://www.bankofamerica.com/privacy/accounts-cards/shopsafe.go

Not offered by my bank, sadly.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

No Gravitas posted:

Are there any... umm... credit card condoms or something?
It looks like that site has PayPal as a payment option.

If that doesn't work there are a bunch of ways to get prepaid debit cards like the Walmart MoneyCard.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Mister Macys posted:

What happened to the Xbone shark tank thread?

There's 180 posts I haven't skipped read through yet; it keeps saying I'm not allowed to access it, but I also can't find the thread itself anywhere.
Was it deleted outright?

Moved to the Mod forum, juuuust before it could get to 1080p(ages).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just moved into a new condo and got a letter (from the IRS) for what I assume is a previous tenant; what do I do with that kind of stuff?