Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Gonna have to watch this, the best episodes of Grand Designs are the ones where it starts lapsing into a mixture of Casualty, Scrapheap Challenge and Fawlty Towers.

Right, that combination got my attention! Will have to check this one out -- our usual decompression TV is going through older shows on dvd (and when I say older, we're currently on I, Claudius, as Mr Boods has never seen it.)

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

Ms Boods posted:

Right, that combination got my attention! Will have to check this one out -- our usual decompression TV is going through older shows on dvd (and when I say older, we're currently on I, Claudius, as Mr Boods has never seen it.)

D: someone hasn't seen I, Claudius? Blasphemy.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

DrNewton posted:

D: someone hasn't seen I, Claudius? Blasphemy.

Especially when you consider he's apparently married to an ancient history professor with an interest in Rome.

(Sorry to threadstalk)

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Fatty posted:

Especially when you consider he's apparently married to an ancient history professor with an interest in Rome.

(Sorry to threadstalk)

Mr Boods was also the only person in Britain of his generation (he's 46) who didn't know how Blakes 7ended.* I deliberately timed the last episode to fall on his birthday. :sun:

We've just been through Rome over the summer; he's only seen one or two episodes. It was actually quite a bit of fun as he knew some of it was dramatic licence, and some of it taken from history. 'What?! That really happened?' and 'What the gently caress, why is Octavia marrying Mark Antony?!' and 'So you get to study this and lecture on it?!' Cleopatra's fake out to get Antony to commit suicide really wounded him; he was quite cross with her.

He's finding I, Claudius a bit of a jolt to get used to after Rome, as it's all minimal sets and shot as if it were a play, but he's getting a huge kick so far out of Livia. Myself as always anticipate when John Hurt shows up and steals every scene he's in.

*His mum wouldn't let him watch it because she thought it was rubbish.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Bee dee bee dee bee dee bee bee dee bee dee bee dee ... Heartbeat!

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
There's a new Ramsey's nightmare show on channel four eviscerating British expat restaurants in Spain. It's more like the old UK style rather than the recent US ones, which is a good thing.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Did anyone watch Marvellous? Absolutely brilliant.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

Ms Boods posted:

Mr Boods was also the only person in Britain of his generation (he's 46) who didn't know how Blakes 7ended.* I deliberately timed the last episode to fall on his birthday. :sun:

We've just been through Rome over the summer; he's only seen one or two episodes. It was actually quite a bit of fun as he knew some of it was dramatic licence, and some of it taken from history. 'What?! That really happened?' and 'What the gently caress, why is Octavia marrying Mark Antony?!' and 'So you get to study this and lecture on it?!' Cleopatra's fake out to get Antony to commit suicide really wounded him; he was quite cross with her.

He's finding I, Claudius a bit of a jolt to get used to after Rome, as it's all minimal sets and shot as if it were a play, but he's getting a huge kick so far out of Livia. Myself as always anticipate when John Hurt shows up and steals every scene he's in.

*His mum wouldn't let him watch it because she thought it was rubbish.

Holy poo poo, I did not know that John Hurt played Caligula.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Lofty132 posted:

It was an utterly delightful 90 minutes. Loved the little meta touches throughout, especially the bit after the Stoke city "goal", with real Neil Baldwin and Toby Jones-paying-Neil-Baldwin sitting in the dugout. What a genuinely moving, thoughtful and optimistic film it was.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Lofty132 posted:

Switched it on at random and missed the first half hour but it was great.

I hope the Gary Lineker story is true because it's just too wonderful.. I was actually in tears when he fell into a depression. The idea of someone so overly happy and optimistic being reduced to just just not giving gently caress really upset me.

Toby Jones nailed it. He managed to get across the fact the character had learning disabilities without getting into Forest Gumpy hollywood magical retard territory.
In fact it may be the best depiction of someone with learning disabilities ever put to film.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Austen Tassletine posted:

There's a new Ramsey's nightmare show on channel four eviscerating British expat restaurants in Spain. It's more like the old UK style rather than the recent US ones, which is a good thing.

You can really see the influence from the US version though. He's still doing the "resolve family squabbles" and giving the place a full renovation. Can't believe that lovely chef was still employed there either, I've seen bad cooks but that guy was one of the worst.

I don't expect that chicken place to last. He said they owed €350k and unless they have several phenomenal years they're going to fall behind and lose the business.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

DrNewton posted:

Holy poo poo, I did not know that John Hurt played Caligula.

Go. Watch those episodes now. He is deliciously evil, especially when he's acting as the young Caligula with Tiberius. He achieves an excellent balance of a monstrous yong man, but also one who is intelligent to know that it's that sort of monstrous behaviour that will keep him alive.

(This was the first thing I'd ever seen him in as a very young teenager, and I had a major, major crush on him because of this role. I was also crushing hard on Derek Jacobi at the time. Both probably answer a lot of questions my current colleagues have about me :hist101: )

If I were super rich, I would get John Hurt simply to record some other passages from Suetonius and Dio that are things Caligula was alleged to have said.

There's a terrible made-for-Italian tv film about Nero (badly miscast Nero on the one hand, but also depicts him as a misunderstood emo kid on the other) in which John Simm gives John Hurt a run for the money on scenery-chewing Caligulas. Simm is flamboyantly OTT to Hurt's slippery insidiousness.

Sorry for a later edit, but I just asked him again if he's really not seen Claudius, or just taking the piss -- he's neither seen it, nor knows much, if anything about casting. He's promised not to look up anything about it (and he's trustworthy). He is a huge Patrick Stewart fan, so I can't wait for Sejanus to show up!

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 26, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It's also a good deal more satisfying because it seems every British person who has opened a restaurant in Spain seems to function on the theory of "If you build it they will come". Like, none of them actually know how to run a restaurant, it's not just cases of bad menus or bad location.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

So Marvelous was impossibly lovely and the most uplifting thing I've seen in a long time.

Kraxis
May 14, 2007
As a Keele alumni I'm proud to say I've met Neil Baldwin. Everyone just knew him as the nice old guy that hung around in the union and chatted to you if you looked a bit lost. Second and third years would know some of his exploits but I didn't have any idea how much he'd got up to until the guardian ran a piece on him. Keele recently gave him an honourary degree :)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I would love to see the outtakes from the latest WILTY. I swear the reason they keep bringing back Bob Mortimer is he has the most unbelievable true stories and David gets increasingly agitated as they go on.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I enjoyed the Derren Brown live show that was on the other day, he's so much better doing simple tricks live than trying to do over-produced stuff about zombies or whatever. Also he looks pretty good with the shaved head

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I saw a woman today in Game who was utterly unable to comprehend what video game age ratings meant. She literally couldn't wrap her head around the concept while buying Infamous 3 for her 10ish year old son. She had to have it explained to her in detail that it wasn't how hard the game is ("He's very good at them though") but the content included in it. Even comparing the ratings directly to films left her bemused.

What the Christ?

Also, I know this has no relevance, I just couldn't think of anywhere else to mention this.

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011

Does the Spanish Gordon Ramsey from spanish kitchen nightmares turn up?

He is a v large man who wear the most incredible shirts/chef's whites

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

pentyne posted:

I would love to see the outtakes from the latest WILTY. I swear the reason they keep bringing back Bob Mortimer is he has the most unbelievable true stories and David gets increasingly agitated as they go on.

I hope someone makes a .gif out of David's maniacal laugh at the end.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Mary Portas, the lady who had the "Queen Of Shops" series where she told people how to run their shops better, basically shot her career in the foot after she went on a big tirade about how GAME wouldn't sell her 16-year-old son an 18-rated game. She got really ridiculously aggro about it until one of the real higher-ups at GAME explained to her what the deal was. Not knowing that a 16-year-old can't buy an 8-rated game without a parent or guardian is pretty bad when you've got a TV series where you're pitched as the mastermind of all retail.

... So, how 'bout that Strictly, eh?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

I saw a woman today in Game who was utterly unable to comprehend what video game age ratings meant. She literally couldn't wrap her head around the concept while buying Infamous 3 for her 10ish year old son. She had to have it explained to her in detail that it wasn't how hard the game is ("He's very good at them though") but the content included in it. Even comparing the ratings directly to films left her bemused.

What the Christ?

Also, I know this has no relevance, I just couldn't think of anywhere else to mention this.
I only worked at Game one Xmas, and most of the customers were either 12 year olds trying to buy 18 games, or parents trying to buy 18 rated games for their kids. First couple of times I patiently explained to the parents the law, the reasoning and the terms of my contract of employment.

If it was a parent buying, it was 50/50 if they'd understand or even care. If it was akidbuying, they'd storm out only to come back later with an indignant parent to bitch you out.

Most of the time you get into a cyclic argument about how games are for kids, and when you explain some of the things that are now in games (avoid guns and bad language, I tend to go straight for COD's airport massacre, a notable SRIV weapon and trevor's full frontal nudity in GTA) they are horrified that we are selling these things to kids. I point out that we are NOT selling them to kids, at which point they somehow arrive back at 'but that's ridiculous, games are for kids!'

Fast forwards to now, and me scratching my head in bemusement at the amount of kids playing GTA online - and not just 12 year olds, kids who sound about 8.

It doesn't help that 18 rated games are advertised as early in the evening as they can get away with (bringing it back to TV, see?)

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

What the Christ?

To be fair this exactly how my dad used to think when I was younger and he's far from a stupid guy.

It's more a case of her thinking of it in terms of the age guide on a board game or toy, instead of the age guide on a film.

To be honest not really a massive mistake if the person has no interest in computer games other than their kid or grandchild etc.

So err....telly,eh?

Edit: wouldn't Infamous be ok for a ten year old?
Unless there's some ultra-violence or hard sex I haven't seen when my friend was playing it.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 27, 2014

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I enjoyed the Derren Brown live show that was on the other day, he's so much better doing simple tricks live than trying to do over-produced stuff about zombies or whatever. Also he looks pretty good with the shaved head

I went to see that show live in Glasgow. They cut a lot out, the Glasgow one had a whole section at the start where he chucked out the under 12s' in the audience in as inventive, cruel and hilarious manner as he could devise.

Loved the bit at the end too, where "Dickbrain" did all the memory and calculation tricks, he was properly on fire by then, had us all eating out the palm of his hand. He is a wicked, wicked man and I kind of love him.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
So do you think any of the memory stuff is real or is it all just tricks?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

He links to books on his website that tell you how to do most of the memory tricks. Those are the only bits I'm pretty sure are completely real and yeah they were the best part, he just enjoys it so much :)

The box - I think just another shelf on the front panel with a different object on? I don't know how he does any of the very specific medium-style stuff though.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

To be fair this exactly how my dad used to think when I was younger and he's far from a stupid guy.

It's more a case of her thinking of it in terms of the age guide on a board game or toy, instead of the age guide on a film.

To be honest not really a massive mistake if the person has no interest in computer games other than their kid or grandchild etc.

So err....telly,eh?

Edit: wouldn't Infamous be ok for a ten year old?
Unless there's some ultra-violence or hard sex I haven't seen when my friend was playing it.

This same logic is how I ended up playing KGB/CONSPIRACY when I was 8. A game set in seedy Soviet apartment blocks, full of grotesque alcoholics, drug dealers, and a scene in which the KGB torture a prostitute by extinguishing cigarettes on her nipples.

Kinda regretted that one.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Doakes posted:

So do you think any of the memory stuff is real or is it all just tricks?
Almost certainly a combination of both. I've read some of his books and he obviously knows what he's talking about with memory stuff but I still feel like I'd be naive to think there weren't some clever but fairly simple tricks involved as well.

I agree that he's much better doing actual magic and mentalism stuff than all these silly 'experience' shows that he does now. I would actually love for him to just do a show on card magic, he's extremely good at it yet probably hasn't shown that in his shows for about a decade.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

He may be narrowing the choices down (obviously he is manipulating the 'random' numbers for the final trick), but it's not implausible to suggest that he really can remember the first and last words of all the Shakespeare pages, given that you can work up to remembering 50-item number-linked lists extremely easily after just a few hours of prep work. Like so piss easily that once you learn how it's done you will be shocked that no one has taught you how to do it before.

I read someone's blog and they said the medium segment was simply done by getting people to write things down on slips of paper when they enter the show, as he often does at his live shows but which the recorded version doesn't show, and then relying on the rest of the show to distract them from remembering that they wrote them. Don't know how true that is.

Perosnally I just hope he writes a book on how to do the rice trick, I'm sure we're all dying to learn such a useful and impressive party piece

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

He may be narrowing the choices down (obviously he is manipulating the 'random' numbers for the final trick), but it's not implausible to suggest that he really can remember the first and last words of all the Shakespeare pages, given that you can work up to remembering 50-item number-linked lists extremely easily after just a few hours of prep work. Like so piss easily that once you learn how it's done you will be shocked that no one has taught you how to do it before.

I read someone's blog and they said the medium segment was simply done by getting people to write things down on slips of paper when they enter the show, as he often does at his live shows but which the recorded version doesn't show, and then relying on the rest of the show to distract them from remembering that they wrote them. Don't know how true that is.

Perosnally I just hope he writes a book on how to do the rice trick, I'm sure we're all dying to learn such a useful and impressive party piece

I can heartily recommend his "Tricks of the Mind" book, by the way.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

tdrules posted:

I hope someone makes a .gif out of David's maniacal laugh at the end.

Between his surreal hostile appearance on 8 out of 10 Cats countdown and the latest WILTY I'm wondering if he's barely holding back his resentment at having to do panel shows and is another bad show away from snapping and yelling at everyone to gently caress off.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

pentyne posted:

Between his surreal hostile appearance on 8 out of 10 Cats countdown and the latest WILTY I'm wondering if he's barely holding back his resentment at having to do panel shows and is another bad show away from snapping and yelling at everyone to gently caress off.

Tell me more about his 8 out of 10 apperance please?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

Tell me more about his 8 out of 10 apperance please?

He started out being very dry, and went into quite an amusing rant about how a word is a thing and letters are arbitrary, and words are made up of lines that are arbitrarily groups as letters, then Sean made a crack about David’s books not selling, and he just kind of smiled and completely stopped.

Afterwards he then went on a rant about how there’s only one number, 1, and all others are just made of combinations of 1. It seemed prepared and not particularly witty.

During the numbers part he didn’t even bother to try and just went on a short rant. As a whole he wasn’t really saying much during the show compared to other guests I’ve seen.

Near the end of the show was when he “snapped”. The guest said she hoped everyone would have positive thoughts about her and Sean winning, and then David went

“Imagine if there is power in positive thinking, and you are seriously asking, in this troubled world, for people to focus that energy on you solving a loving anagram.” in a fairly aggressive tone.

And it wasn’t done in a funny way, it was more like he had reached his limit and just didn’t even bother pretending he enjoyed the game anymore.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

I love Derren Brown and have seen most of his shows live. He is very clever in his presentation, but a lot of his stuff is "normal" stage magician tricks mixed together and dressed up in his style.
One time I saw him do the old "make something think I have stopped my heart thing" (a squash ball in the armpit to prevent the blood flow to the pulse) mixed with walking on glass. I saw Paul Daniels "stop" his heart the same way in the 80's, as well as the "hypnotise some one to drink vinegar, which is just brown water that you trick someone else to confirm it is vinegar with a simple fake lid" :)

Some stuff you can work out if you see it multiple times, but some still baffle me.
One of the live shows had everyone write some stuff on bit of paper and put them in a basket, then one was picked at "random" and this was then used multiple times through the show including a massive finale involving McFly. It was so over the top that it made it really obvious that the "randomly" picked audience paper was not randomly picked (probably a false bottom with a bunch of bits of paper with the same stuff on it), which kind of made all the previous stuff a bit of a let down.

I'm pretty certain he does not use stooges - he has too much at stake and has been doing it too long for no one to have broken ranks. In one live show the guy right next to me got picked by the random throw stuff into the audience method (I was so close to getting it!) - he was involved in some poo poo on stage that I cannot explain - I walked out of the theatre behind him and his mates and they were all asking him questions all the way to the car park. A pretty in depth act for a stooge.

TL,DR - Derren Brown is awesome

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

pentyne posted:

He started out being very dry, and went into quite an amusing rant about how a word is a thing and letters are arbitrary, and words are made up of lines that are arbitrarily groups as letters, then Sean made a crack about David’s books not selling, and he just kind of smiled and completely stopped.

Afterwards he then went on a rant about how there’s only one number, 1, and all others are just made of combinations of 1. It seemed prepared and not particularly witty.

During the numbers part he didn’t even bother to try and just went on a short rant. As a whole he wasn’t really saying much during the show compared to other guests I’ve seen.

Near the end of the show was when he “snapped”. The guest said she hoped everyone would have positive thoughts about her and Sean winning, and then David went

“Imagine if there is power in positive thinking, and you are seriously asking, in this troubled world, for people to focus that energy on you solving a loving anagram.” in a fairly aggressive tone.

And it wasn’t done in a funny way, it was more like he had reached his limit and just didn’t even bother pretending he enjoyed the game anymore.

I'd feel sorry for anyone who appeared on that show. The whole 45 minutes was just completely bizarre.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Octy posted:

I'd feel sorry for anyone who appeared on that show. The whole 45 minutes was just completely bizarre.

I think it came down to bad casting. David is good on WILTY because of the format of the show and focus on others (plus him and Lee area a great team), as well as allowing him to be pedantic and insanely dry, but something like 8of10 countdown he's supposed to be consistently witty in a happy way that he's never been known for so putting him on the show seemed like a good idea given his fame but with how superficial and banal the show is he just lost it, stopped giving a poo poo, and by the end raged at a simple comment in a hilarious way the normal 8of10 wouldn't respond to well. You could tell by the editing cut that they immediately moved past that outburst back to normal "Hey this is a joke/audience laughs" style with Sean that they wanted to move past it.

Even during the celebration, he showed no care and seemed to simply walk up next to the dog without making any attempt to pet it or seem friendly. During the wrap up you can see the camera ignores him and at the last second his legs come into shot by Jon but he makes no attempt to pet the dog.

All in all, it came off as a show where David Mitchell did everything he was legally obliged to do, snapped at some point, and then kept quite to finish out the recording.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I think you guys are looking into it too much, I enjoyed him on 8 out of 10

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Yay!!! Dunno if they're new episodes or not, but World's Craziest Fools is back on BBC Three on Saturday night! :dance:

Lavatein
May 5, 2009

Mr Beens posted:

Some stuff you can work out if you see it multiple times, but some still baffle me.
One of the live shows had everyone write some stuff on bit of paper and put them in a basket, then one was picked at "random" and this was then used multiple times through the show including a massive finale involving McFly. It was so over the top that it made it really obvious that the "randomly" picked audience paper was not randomly picked (probably a false bottom with a bunch of bits of paper with the same stuff on it), which kind of made all the previous stuff a bit of a let down.

I saw this on the telly once. They showed the audience filling in these papers while Derren was giving instructions over the PA system. I can't remember exactly what he was talking about, but he said something along the lines of "Write down your favorite holiday destination, somewhere you'd like McFly to", and of course people were too busy thinking/writing to notice that he hadn't said "to fly to". Presumably he used loads of other subliminal cues to ensure lots of people had McFly on their minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Ms Boods posted:

Yay!!! Dunno if they're new episodes or not, but World's Craziest Fools is back on BBC Three on Saturday night! :dance:

Yes!

My mum cancelled her Sky subscription recently and for some reason the aerial doesn't work. Is it possible to receive television broadcasts through a sky satellite similar to freeview? She also has a smart TV but couldn't wrap her head around what made it different from a normal TV as their was no television guide.

e: Read up on freesat, I just needed to take the card out. Although my mum still can't understand what a smart TV does.

justcola fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 28, 2014