Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Haggins posted:

If you're big into the whole "Getting Things Done" method, it's a great tool with lots of options. Unless you're really into being super organized and planning tons of poo poo to the T, then it's probably a huge overkill. It goes very deep. I've used it (on mac, iphone, and ipad) and determined it is way too much for me. I prefer a simpler program like Things for my remembering to do stuff.

Yes, I love Things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
Is there a way to get rid of the "In addition to searching your iPhone, Spotlight now shows suggestions from the Internet, iTunes, App Store, movie showtimes, locations nearby, and more. You can change this in Settings. Learn more…" message when you pull down for spotlight?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

If you buy into the GTD philosophy and actually follow it then it's worth every penny. I did it for a while and it definitely paid off.

I'm kind of realizing that my workflow needs some work if I'm going to be helping like 100 students manage their projects.

I have no idea what's in store but my example idea is students sourcing the fabric, tailoring, printing, shipping, marketing and sales of a class t-shirt to learn about globalization. My thought is that it'll be most effective if something can let me manage it like a business where the "product" is ultimately student outcomes.

So does it have the ability to list 100 individuals, their projects, all those project resources, and the outcomes that those projects help meet? My nearest alternative is going to be some kind of terrible cumbersome excel database.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How does wunderlist compare to things? Things seems perfect, but it's not available for windows. I need something that I can use on my iphone, ipad, and Windows desktop. That seems to limit my options.

What I like about things is how can you can have separate categories for like active tasks, someday tasks, and then individual projects. Can Wunderlist do this? Otherwise I might just use Things, and manage everything from my phone and ipad.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 24, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

tuyop posted:

I'm kind of realizing that my workflow needs some work if I'm going to be helping like 100 students manage their projects.

I have no idea what's in store but my example idea is students sourcing the fabric, tailoring, printing, shipping, marketing and sales of a class t-shirt to learn about globalization. My thought is that it'll be most effective if something can let me manage it like a business where the "product" is ultimately student outcomes.

So does it have the ability to list 100 individuals, their projects, all those project resources, and the outcomes that those projects help meet? My nearest alternative is going to be some kind of terrible cumbersome excel database.

TBH it sounds like you're more looking for project management software. Zoho has a pretty good online "Zoho Projects" thing that my boss uses.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

There's a Windows 8 Wunderlist app but they discontinued their desktop one. You can still use it from the browser and I guess just make a shortcut on your desktop.

Apparently I lack the ability to read

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I used to use Things, now I use Wunderlist. They're about the same for what I need it for, with Wunderlist actually being a bit better in terms of sharing lists.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

thegreatcodfish posted:

Is there a way to get rid of the "In addition to searching your iPhone, Spotlight now shows suggestions from the Internet, iTunes, App Store, movie showtimes, locations nearby, and more. You can change this in Settings. Learn more…" message when you pull down for spotlight?

Make a search.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Another app I use in addition to Things is Anylist. I use it mostly for a shared grocery list with my SO and other shopping and trip packing lists. It does a pretty good job organizing your grocery list into categories (meats, dairy, produce, etc) making shopping a little more efficient.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

My fiancé and I use the aptly named Shopping List. You can categorize, add unit prices, separate out the lists by store, sync with multiple users, etc.. Usually she adds to the list and I get a notification that lets me know I need to make a stop on the way home from work.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

thegreatcodfish posted:

You can disable the suggestions and the Bing™ Web Search or whatever and it will just return to the same old iOS 7-style spotlight with just a blurred-out homescreen and the search bar at the top.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have a notification badge on Hangouts but no unread messages in the app or anything in gmail. How the gently caress do I get rid of it? Why is there still no "clear notifications" button? :(

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I have a notification badge on Hangouts but no unread messages in the app or anything in gmail. How the gently caress do I get rid of it? Why is there still no "clear notifications" button? :(

I always just click through the tabs and chats until it goes away :(

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

TBH it sounds like you're more looking for project management software. Zoho has a pretty good online "Zoho Projects" thing that my boss uses.

That's actually pretty great, I've always scoffed at Zoho but I didn't even know this kind of thing existed. Awesome!

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Is there an email app that allows you to only get notifications for specified folders?

I only want notifications for specific work folders and we use exchange.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

tuyop posted:

That's actually pretty great, I've always scoffed at Zoho but I didn't even know this kind of thing existed. Awesome!

I've always found Zoho to be a terrible piece of crap. Decided to give them another try and get a persistent 405 error when I try to sign up.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Crosspostin' from the AT&T thread:

I've been using DataMan Pro to track data usage on my iPhone, and it has been absolutely fantastic. However I now have an iPad on the same AT&T Mobile Share plan. DataMan doesn't support any kind of syncing or sharing across devices (I asked the dev). Is there an elegant solution to tracking shared data usage across two devices?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

terre packet posted:

Crosspostin' from the AT&T thread:

I've been using DataMan Pro to track data usage on my iPhone, and it has been absolutely fantastic. However I now have an iPad on the same AT&T Mobile Share plan. DataMan doesn't support any kind of syncing or sharing across devices (I asked the dev). Is there an elegant solution to tracking shared data usage across two devices?

Maybe set the data limit to half of what your monthly data allowance is (or 4:1 or 3:1 if you use your phone more than your tablet), then adjust accordingly when one device reaches its limit.

edit: Data Man pro is the poo poo, I might add. My only qualm is that it sometimes overestimates my usage by a little bit, which I suppose is better than it underestimating.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What is the best ebook reader app nowdays?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Megasabin posted:

What is the best ebook reader app nowdays?

Marvin.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Marvin.

Confirming this.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Maybe set the data limit to half of what your monthly data allowance is (or 4:1 or 3:1 if you use your phone more than your tablet), then adjust accordingly when one device reaches its limit.

edit: Data Man pro is the poo poo, I might add. My only qualm is that it sometimes overestimates my usage by a little bit, which I suppose is better than it underestimating.

I would probably buy it if it could support a shared data plan, but it makes a ton of sense why it does not.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
It's not mentioned anywhere, so I'm guessing that the answer is no, but will marvin sync reading position between devices, or is Kindle still the only app that will do that?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ZShakespeare posted:

It's not mentioned anywhere, so I'm guessing that the answer is no, but will marvin sync reading position between devices, or is Kindle still the only app that will do that?

If you sync it with Dropbox, then yes it will.

I mean, between an iPad or an iPhone. It won't sync with your Kindle or whatever.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ZShakespeare posted:

It uses dropbox to save some files that keep track of this. If the device running Marvin can talk to dropbox over the internet then it can sync reading positions.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

ZShakespeare posted:

I've been using the stock iBooks app to read some .epubs and it syncs position between my iPad (iOS 7.2) and iPhone (iOS 8).

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is anyone having issues with apps thinking the phone has no internet connection? I straight up can't open Asphalt Overdrive due to it and on 8.0 I couldn't make a Wunderlist account for the same reason.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

noirstronaut posted:

Is anyone having issues with apps thinking the phone has no internet connection? I straight up can't open Asphalt Overdrive due to it and on 8.0 I couldn't make a Wunderlist account for the same reason.
Yeah just on WiFi. It's been doing this since I updated to iOS 8 and it seems to be affecting some people but not others. There's no fix -- resetting network settings works for a while but then it slows down to a crawl again until eventually everything just starts timing out.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
I've been having this same issue on 7.1.2 and haven't upgraded yet. I think it might be a hardware issue but I took it to the apple store and they couldn't replicate the issue.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

iOS 8 only? Pfffff.... how lame.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

noirstronaut posted:

Same here. For me it also started with iOS 8.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

Forecast+ has a very nice looking notification center widget and is $.99. I got it without reading reviews, and it sucks. When you enter a city, it doesn't indicate which state that city is in. Searching "Portland" gets three results, each called "Portland, US". When I search a unique city instead, I get one result but the forecast data is highly suspect. It doesn't match at all with The Weather Channel app, for instance. TWC says tomorrow will be partly cloudy with a high of 73F and a 10% chance of rain. Forecast+ says partly cloudy with a high of 70F and 90% chance of rain.

Has anyone found a forecast widget that isn't crap?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
How do you figure the data is crap based on comparison to one other weather app? Forecasts even 24 hours out are highly variable and can differ wildly depending on the model and data used.

I would stick with it for a few days if you like the widget a lot, and see how the forecasts compare to the actual weather in your area. I'm sure most other weather apps will be updating with widgets fairly soon.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It's a common complaint about the app. I'm not sure where it's pulling its info, but it seems like a major drawback when the one thing the app is supposed to do is done wrong.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DarkJC posted:

How do you figure the data is crap based on comparison to one other weather app? Forecasts even 24 hours out are highly variable and can differ wildly depending on the model and data used.

I would stick with it for a few days if you like the widget a lot, and see how the forecasts compare to the actual weather in your area. I'm sure most other weather apps will be updating with widgets fairly soon.

I mean, 90% chance of rain compared to 10% chance of rain is a range I have never seen between different data sets. I understand they can "differ wildly" as you say, but never that wild.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Mahoning posted:

I mean, 90% chance of rain compared to 10% chance of rain is a range I have never seen between different data sets. I understand they can "differ wildly" as you say, but never that wild.

True, also I was unaware this is a common complaint about that app. I've just never had weather apps match up perfectly so I tend to just compare their data to what actually happens in my area before passing judgement. Carry on!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DarkJC posted:

Well if the app says it's sunny right now and you look out the window to see clouds, their data is probably suspect.

I started using weather.gov earlier this year and though it's kind of lovely on a mobile device, it's been the most accurate I've seen. Hell of a lot better than the crappy yahoo backed weather app that Apple keeps shoveling on us.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

xzzy posted:

Hell of a lot better than the crappy yahoo backed weather app that Apple keeps shoveling on us.

This reminds me. The stock Apple weather app was backed by Yahoo but seems to be TWC now. Is this a new thing or is TWC owned by Yahoo and I am just an idiot?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

TJChap2840 posted:

This reminds me. The stock Apple weather app was backed by Yahoo but seems to be TWC now. Is this a new thing or is TWC owned by Yahoo and I am just an idiot?

No as I recall TWC kind of blindsided Yahoo by swiping the weather deal out from under them. Yahoo was pissed because they had no clue and never saw it coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

TJChap2840 posted:

It was switched with iOS8.

• Locked thread