Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Bioware's still unsure what resolution or FPS Inquisition will have.

edit: Oh, and they changed the Qunari health bonus to melee defense +10%

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lotish posted:

Bioware's still unsure what resolution or FPS Inquisition will have.

I will give you a hint: it will be poo poo/poo poo on XBone, PS4 up in the air.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lotish posted:

it's...kinda similar in effect.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

I imagine this is their way of saying "we haven't really had it running on anything other than PC with xbox controller yet, at least not enough to actually test it".

Though it should all be pretty obvious, in terms of resolution. It's going to be 720 on PS3/360 and 1080 on PS4, xbone too unpredictable. Framerate will likely be 30fps with dips regardless. PS3/360 will have worse looking/simplified textures everywhere and a less dynamic lighting system.

Drifter posted:

I'd rather have more defense in a system with limited or smaller heals, though I think the devs have been bullshitting that really hard and you'll have tons of potions so who knows.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Decus posted:

I'd rather have more defense in a system with limited or smaller heals, though I think the devs have been bullshitting that really hard and you'll have tons of potions so who knows.

Yeah, they've been saying that Inquisition is harder than Origins across the board but we have eight more weeks before we can test the veracity of that statement.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Eh on the potion front, they've show game play footage where you can only take so many with you when you go out, not that you can't have a billion back at the skykeep or whatever. Some of the areas have "alchemy stations" that you can use to create pots while out adventuring. I think it was 8 pots max per outing but that number might not be set in stone.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah all they were going for was "you can't just chug your way through every encounter, try not taking damage instead". Basically going for "no, you can't just make thirty billion elfroot potions and ignore the rest of the health mechanic forever" part of DA2.

I would hope that the number of potions you can take would be altered a little with difficulty settings. It seems like that could be a pretty effective way to raise/lower overall fight difficulty.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Drifter posted:

But +health is as good against magical and mundane range attacks as it is against melee attacks, while +melee defense only protects against melee attacks.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

True, but a constant plus to HP doesn't scale while a percent bonus would; we don't know if 50 health is a good buff compared to standard health or not, but it becomes proportionately less good as our health totals go up.

That said, you're right; qunari mages probably need to go for knight enchanter to get use of their racial ability, seeing as the typical mage strategy is to not get into melee.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Drifter posted:

I think some people just read and process more slowly or less effectively than other people.

Haha, losers.

haha look at this ADHD kid who can't sit still for 3 seconds

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
In case you care, BioWare's Neil something-something is giving a presentation on Dragon Age: Inqusition's art direction at EGX. You can watch it on Twitch.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Lotish posted:

True, but a constant plus to HP doesn't scale while a percent bonus would; we don't know if 50 health is a good buff compared to standard health or not, but it becomes proportionately less good as our health totals go up.

That said, you're right; qunari mages probably need to go for knight enchanter to get use of their racial ability, seeing as the typical mage strategy is to not get into melee.

Unless of course they have mobs set up like DA2 and your fringe dps has adds pop-out of the ground right on top of them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ No no no nono don't joke about this. Jesus Christ wave respawning would be fuckin' terrible. :ohdear:

Teron D Amun posted:

haha look at this ADHD kid who can't sit still for 3 seconds

Where you going with this? Who has ADHD in your example? The one who can read and make effective decisions more swiftly, or the one who has to pause and study for a while?

I don't believe anyone with enough of the disorder worth ridiculing would be able to comfortably do either one. That's not even something you should be making fun of. It's the compulsives that you should tease.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Some concept art/screenshots from a recent pressentation:

http://imgur.com/a/sNWfm#1

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The artwork really looks nice.

Pattonesque posted:

Some concept art/screenshots from a recent pressentation:

http://imgur.com/a/sNWfm#1

I like the sack of flour the guard in the background is wearing as a hat.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
I love the juxtaposition of Blackwall riding a gryphon into battle fighting dark spawn with Cole just kind of hopping over a lobster.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I like vivienne's art, but between calling her the ambition and her staff being a snake it'll only be a twist if she doesn't betray you.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lotish posted:

I like vivienne's art, but between calling her the ambition and her staff being a snake it'll only be a twist if she doesn't betray you.

I just figured Dragon Age liquor technology hadn't progressed to the point where they actually stuffed the snake into the bottle of alcohol, and she was reduced to having to lick its belly every time she took a swig.

You know that girl's crazy. She like to party.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

That last picture with the party concepts all together: I wonder why some Look like something out of ice wind dale in terms of their painterly art quality and others are flat. Like Josephine and iron bull look like they were designed for entirely different games. I guess the answer is just different artists, but it just throws me a bit.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lotish posted:

That last picture with the party concepts all together: I wonder why some Look like something out of ice wind dale in terms of their painterly art quality and others are flat. Like Josephine and iron bull look like they were designed for entirely different games. I guess the answer is just different artists, but it just throws me a bit.

I agree but that being said drat is their art really good looking. I really like the story book feel of it.

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013

Drifter posted:

I just figured Dragon Age liquor technology hadn't progressed to the point where they actually stuffed the snake into the bottle of alcohol, and she was reduced to having to lick its belly every time she took a swig.

You know that girl's crazy. She like to party.

A real Inquisitor drinks the venom and the booze, and survives. You think this is a goddamn game?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Lotish posted:

Isnt the staff into snake a symbol of healing, i could swear that was in the bible

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

Darth Windu posted:

Isnt the staff into snake a symbol of healing, i could swear that was in the bible

It's a caduceus, yes

Edit: wikipedia tells me I'm wrong. It's a rod of asclepius.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
You're thinking of a caduceus which is Greek myth but you are right about the healing.

Vaxan
Dec 25, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

It might have been in the bible, but it was definitely the Greek symbol for healing, see Asclepius.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

HIJK posted:

You're thinking of a caduceus which is Greek myth but you are right about the healing.

As if the Bible didn't crib like a motherfucker all the myths and stories of past cultures.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Drifter posted:

As if the Bible didn't crib like a motherfucker all the myths and stories of past cultures.

Haha, yeah.

And technically the healer's version is the Rod of Asclepius with the single snake but the two get confused a lot.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I think I got the part in the bible where moses turns his staff into a snake mixed up with that one, my bad

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Whenever I see Asclepius brought up I always think of this scene-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgdV1IVkk8E

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

Drifter posted:

The artwork really looks nice.

I like the sack of flour the guard in the background is wearing as a hat.

Is that what that is? I thought it was a beat-up plastic trash can just dumped on him...maybe he pissed off his date. It's still weird to be in the screenshot, whatever it is.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

funakupo posted:

Is that what that is? I thought it was a beat-up plastic trash can just dumped on him...maybe he pissed off his date. It's still weird to be in the screenshot, whatever it is.

It's his helmet/turban. The guard in the front left is wearing the same thing.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
Ohh I see now, I guess the angle of the turban looks a bit square in that snapshot but probably folds and the lighting. Thanks

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It amuses me that apparently Sera was originally going to be Yo Landi with a tan.

I hope there's a character that looks like Ninja.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Lotish posted:

Add me to the pile who automatically thought healing when they saw Vivienne's art. But thinking about it more, everyone else is right. She's clearly referencing Iris, even carrying the cup of water as well as the staff, so, actually, nothing to do with healing.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Lotish posted:

It amuses me that apparently Sera was originally going to be Yo Landi with a tan.

I hope there's a character that looks like Ninja.

:laffo: that qunari dude is one Hammershark-looking motherfucker

He could mount billboards on his head and rent out advertising space

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

and those gold teeth! I would have thought being pimpin' was against the Qun.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Krowley posted:

:laffo: that qunari dude is one Hammershark-looking motherfucker

He could mount billboards on his head and rent out advertising space

Now we know!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Just a quick question - is David Gaider involved in this?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

wipeout posted:

Just a quick question - is David Gaider involved in this?
Lead Writer. Also took over writing Cassandra and Dorian after Hepler left.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

I can't unsee the boob-eye.

• Locked thread