Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feeliums
Oct 23, 2008
Thanks to both of you. That chart is very helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Glad to be of (less) help (than the other poster)! :)

As for me, I am eyeing a higher GS job posted for my local office; I qualify from my education and have actually been doing related work on the job as well, but the posting says you need a year Time-In-Grade before the posting closes and I am a few months off. I imagine this is an actual firm requirement but since I have been wrong before I figured applying was the only reasonable thing to do... Is that requirement indeed a hard rule?

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer
Time in grade is probably the most stringent requirement I know of in the GS world at least. Once you are quantified at a GS level it is very hard to move up without fulfilling the time in grade requirements regardless of other criteria. (This is at the 11 and above GS levels, I should say, lower there are sometimes developmental programs that can speed up time in grade requirements. But that's usually the 5 to 7 or the 7 to 9 levels for people in STEM fields and whatnot.)

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I applied to this listing a while back and was referred, the app is still showing that as the status.

I realized today, while searching, that the same job announcement number (but different control number) is also listed here with some differences: 'FEW' vacancies vs 1 vacancy, and an open period of June 10-September 24 instead of June 10-June 24. Both are for current/former federal employees and other eligibles, and have the same hiring officer listed.

Should I apply to this new listing as well? Or is it all going to the same stack of applications?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

e_wraith posted:

Time in grade is probably the most stringent requirement I know of in the GS world at least. Once you are quantified at a GS level it is very hard to move up without fulfilling the time in grade requirements regardless of other criteria. (This is at the 11 and above GS levels, I should say, lower there are sometimes developmental programs that can speed up time in grade requirements. But that's usually the 5 to 7 or the 7 to 9 levels for people in STEM fields and whatnot.)
Fair enough; I am indeed trying to go to 11 (lolol) here so I imagine that is pretty relevant.

Though in this case it is irrelevant anyway because somehow I did not realize that I had to get my SF-50, not that I had to fill out my own SF-50 when the time came to apply. Better have that squared away for when this job opening hits again, haha. Though if they really post it again when they say they will I will only be at 11 months Time In Grade then :(

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I applied to this listing a while back and was referred, the app is still showing that as the status.

I realized today, while searching, that the same job announcement number (but different control number) is also listed here with some differences: 'FEW' vacancies vs 1 vacancy, and an open period of June 10-September 24 instead of June 10-June 24. Both are for current/former federal employees and other eligibles, and have the same hiring officer listed.

Should I apply to this new listing as well? Or is it all going to the same stack of applications?

Apply to both. Apply internally and externally if they are listed separately. Even if the same hiring official is listed the apps may be reviewed by different individuals or may have different criteria behind the scenes.

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer

Quarex posted:

Fair enough; I am indeed trying to go to 11 (lolol) here so I imagine that is pretty relevant.

Though in this case it is irrelevant anyway because somehow I did not realize that I had to get my SF-50, not that I had to fill out my own SF-50 when the time came to apply. Better have that squared away for when this job opening hits again, haha. Though if they really post it again when they say they will I will only be at 11 months Time In Grade then :(

Well it never hurts to apply, but you are probably out of luck even at 11 months. Though... Sometimes they might write it so that you would have to have a year in grade at the time you start in the position. If that was the case then I would think 11 months when applications are being taken would work, given that it would probably take a month to process the applications on the comp side, pass them to HR and have them do their filtering, and then pass them to management to decide who gets interviews/make interview arrangements/do the interviews. Also, it's always good to keep an SF-50 on hand. You should be getting them anytime you get promoted, increase in step, awards, that sort of thing. It used to be up to our managers to hand us a copy whenever something generated them, which they rarely did, but now we have a system we can go pull them down from ourselves.

And hey, on the 11 month thing, we're Feds here. Timeframes are always a rough suggestion of when someone might theoretically think of doing something eventually. By the time they post it again you may already be over a year in.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
The hiring here for SISOs is flying, but I'm pretty sure that's for FY purposes. Lots of SISOs with no teams yet.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Beerdeer posted:

The hiring here for SISOs is flying, but I'm pretty sure that's for FY purposes. Lots of SISOs with no teams yet.

I've got some ABCs in my PB+J.

Seriously, single-in-single-out? That's a computer buffer type, not a position.

And for that matter, "here" is...?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

TheMadMilkman posted:

Apply to both. Apply internally and externally if they are listed separately. Even if the same hiring official is listed the apps may be reviewed by different individuals or may have different criteria behind the scenes.

Hm... I tried applying to the second listing and it gave:

quote:

You have arrived here from USAJOBS to continue your application.

You have already applied to this vacancy. Do you want to Edit Your Application?

Must be due to the same announcement #. I wonder if they didn't get enough applicants from the first listing and relisted it, or if they just screwed up the closing date. Either way, I suppose I'll find out soon how if being referred turns into an interview!

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Justus posted:

I've got some ABCs in my PB+J.

Seriously, single-in-single-out? That's a computer buffer type, not a position.

And for that matter, "here" is...?

Sorry, that'd be Supervisory Immigration Service Officers at Nebraska Service Center. USCIS.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
So I've been out of Federal service for a year out of family necessity rather than choice. My wife got laid off and we couldn't afford to live where we were on just my federal salary, so we relocated to a cheaper area where she was offered a higher paying job. I've been working outside fed gov since then, but I REALLY want back in for the benefits and because I was in under the lower FERS deduction amount.

I was working in HR at the time, but the jobs where I am now are all stuff like TSA or Immigration or Forest Service.

Are there any specific qualifications they look for at all with either TSA or ISOs? I can spin a resume well enough, but all my experience is HR (though I did work for USCG/DHS). Do they care much for related previous work?

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Quarex posted:

Glad to be of (less) help (than the other poster)! :)

As for me, I am eyeing a higher GS job posted for my local office; I qualify from my education and have actually been doing related work on the job as well, but the posting says you need a year Time-In-Grade before the posting closes and I am a few months off. I imagine this is an actual firm requirement but since I have been wrong before I figured applying was the only reasonable thing to do... Is that requirement indeed a hard rule?

Is the job posted for status candidates only?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

JohnnyHildo posted:

Is the job posted for status candidates only?
Yes. It was USCIS-only in fact. Making me further assume it was really just promotions disguised as a posting and that my efforts were futile (but I failed to get my SF-50 in time anyway so it was moot).

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer

Quarex posted:

Yes. It was USCIS-only in fact. Making me further assume it was really just promotions disguised as a posting and that my efforts were futile (but I failed to get my SF-50 in time anyway so it was moot).

Hey, never assume this. Or rather always assume it but go for the gusto anyway. Having been on both sides I can tell you that sometimes there is an expected anointed person who just doesn't do well in the interview, or sucks at resume writing, or the boss is forced to take others on the panel who don't agree with his predetermination. That last one seems to happen a lot where I work, at least. Especially for high grades where HQ has an interest and may send someone to be on the panel or at least watch it closely.

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer
So I got an offer for a high grade position but it is in Maryland and after considering the locality pay differential I probably would make the same as I make now. But there's a lot more career potential there. Still I would probably have to sell my relatively new house at a loss most likely. And my social life is here. What to do, what to do... I turned down a move to DC earlier in my career but then I had a very reasonable expectation that I would attain that same grade where I am soon enough. With this one, though, it is a crap shoot. I might be able to get a high grade here soon, but then again it may take years. I liked DC well enough other than the traffic when I worked there. (This is a NYC person telling you that DC traffic is bad, so take my word for it DC traffic is bad.) But Southern MD is a whole different world than the DC area, so I am not sure how much I would like it. Anyone else in the Southern MD area? How is it down there?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Out of curiosity, what agency and series would this be?

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

e_wraith posted:

Anyone else in the Southern MD area? How is it down there?

I grew up in Central Maryland which is basically all affluent suburbs of DC/Baltimore. What part of Southern Maryland? There is a big difference between PG County and St. Mary's.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
This is a pretty specific question, but who knows, someone might be able to answer.

I'm currently at FLETC with CBP for officer basic stuff. I (shockingly) did not get my first choice of port.

There's another announcement open right now for CBPOs. Can I reapply and take another crack at getting my home town? Would I have to redo training or what? I emailed the hiring center about it, but haven't heard back yet.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Yes, you can reapply, but I believe you have to apply externally. Whether you have to repeat training is up to management. I've seen it go both ways.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Network42 posted:

This is a pretty specific question, but who knows, someone might be able to answer.

I'm currently at FLETC with CBP for officer basic stuff. I (shockingly) did not get my first choice of port.

There's another announcement open right now for CBPOs. Can I reapply and take another crack at getting my home town? Would I have to redo training or what? I emailed the hiring center about it, but haven't heard back yet.

Congrats. I'm in the 14-2 applicant group, so I have to ask, how is it?
Also, are any outside forums a good resource for cbp officers?

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
It really depends on the port you go to, airports are generally super easy to boringly tedious depending on how busy it is. Land borders range from sleepy to getting the cuffs out several times a day at San Ysidro. We only have 2 seaport guys in my class and neither talks much so I can't say there, but seaports seem like the sweetest work to me.

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer

laxbro posted:

I grew up in Central Maryland which is basically all affluent suburbs of DC/Baltimore. What part of Southern Maryland? There is a big difference between PG County and St. Mary's.

St. Mary's. DC area I know better though more the Virginia side. I am told, though, that the DC suburbs are ever expanding and that even an hour plus away now the DC housing market impacts the housing prices.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

e_wraith posted:

St. Mary's. DC area I know better though more the Virginia side. I am told, though, that the DC suburbs are ever expanding and that even an hour plus away now the DC housing market impacts the housing prices.

St. Marys is known for great outdoors activities like boating, hunting hiking etc but there isn't much else going on. There is a growing small college and a bunch of army bases so I'm sure that has livened things up a bit.

Yea Maryland housing prices are through the roof and the taxes are very high. Great schools systems and roads though.

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer

TheMadMilkman posted:

Out of curiosity, what agency and series would this be?

If you mean me, it is a DoD 2210 IT Management job. In a 0346 Logistics department, but on the 0340 Program Management side. I would love to see the how and why they classified it as a 2210 since the immediate bosses are 0340s (and this will be 0340 work mostly as far as I can see) and most everyone else is 0346, but such things are beyond me. I am not a 2210 currently, either.

I applied to this job to see if I could get through on a 2210 billet, amusingly, because I already knew my resume does pretty well on 0346 and 0340 billets. Just goes to show, if you see an interesting position that you think you have little chance at apply for it anyway.

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer

laxbro posted:

St. Marys is known for great outdoors activities like boating, hunting hiking etc but there isn't much else going on. There is a growing small college and a bunch of army bases so I'm sure that has livened things up a bit.

Yea Maryland housing prices are through the roof and the taxes are very high. Great schools systems and roads though.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like there would be a lot of similar amenities to where I live now. I have also heard there isn't much else there, though it is better than it used to be 10+ years ago. And that it is pretty dead outside of the Summer months as well.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

laxbro posted:

There is a growing small college and a bunch of army bases so I'm sure that has livened things up a bit.

You are sorely mistaken Sir.

Also:

Calvert > St. Mary's > Southern Charles > Waldorf Northern Charles > .... .... .... .... P.G. County (but why would you even want to).

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I just found out the USCIS office in Detroit is barely in Detroit. Much more attractive to transfer to now. Just have to decide if I can handle FDNS.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I just signed up on USAJobs, and I'm fixing up the initial profile setup. I was a CL during the 2010 Census, so should I be putting 'I am a former federal civilian employee but do not have reinstatement eligibility.'? If I select that, it also asks me for my pay plan, occupational series and highest pay grade; I have no idea what to put for these.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
It should all be on your SF-50.

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

I am known as the Queen of Delayed Reactions for a reason, heh.
I will be at my current position with the government for 1 year on October 29th. I'm only a 1 and I'm still considered Flex even though I work a 40 hour week every week.

What happens after I get off the year probation? Someone said I automatically get Career Status, is that true and if so what does that mean? Do I get any kind of pay raise or benefits or does being Flex kind of screw that for me?

My plan is to stay in this position while looking for something else in Government that would have me a a desk job that I am more qualified for anyway. But I'm not sure how easy that will be or how to achieve that.

Thanks in advance!

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

Delayed Reaction posted:

I will be at my current position with the government for 1 year on October 29th. I'm only a 1 and I'm still considered Flex even though I work a 40 hour week every week.

What happens after I get off the year probation? Someone said I automatically get Career Status, is that true and if so what does that mean? Do I get any kind of pay raise or benefits or does being Flex kind of screw that for me?

My plan is to stay in this position while looking for something else in Government that would have me a a desk job that I am more qualified for anyway. But I'm not sure how easy that will be or how to achieve that.

Thanks in advance!

What agency?

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

MWR. I work in the Post Restaurant.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
You sure MWR is a federal job? I thought you were paid out of non-appropriated funds, ticket sales and stuff.

Do you have a job series and grade?

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
NAF jobs get treated like PT work, I think. You'll have to buy it back to count towards retirement.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

Yeah, and depending on what the CBA says (or if you have a CBA and union representation) flex employees basically never get due process rights.

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

Thanks guys, this is a very interesting and informative thread! Yes, I'm federal and won't be flex for much longer. My supervisor answered all of my questions today, he's really great.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
I imagine most people to whom this applies already know about it, but if you are going to graduate with a Master's or PhD by August 2015, or you graduated with one in the last two years, the Presidential Management Fellowship application is up and online. It has been up for a week and a half already, so it closes on Wednesday, but that's still plenty of time to complete the application. It's a solid way to get your foot in the door with government jobs (or so I have been told) and is a relatively prestigious program if you make it. I know the subsection of recently graduated goons interested in Federal employment and browsing this thread is probably slim, but just figured I'd make sure people were aware.

For those of you who do work for the government already, do you know any PMFs? Is there a general reputation around the program?

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
I know in the private sector, sometimes job listings are more wishlists than requirements. Does the same hold with USAjobs or am I wasting my time applying for jobs with requirements I don't meet 100%?

For instance, I've found some bank examiner positions that seem like a good fit, except they require a bachelor's in accounting/finance/related and a 3 hour auditing course. I have an MBA-finance, but no auditing course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It is not an exact science, but your application certainly needs to have all the crucial keywords in it in order to actually be seen by a real hiring official. Also some "must"s are of course more musty than others. Likely someone closer to your field would have better suggestions though, certainly.

Meanwhile I just applied for my first detail assignment, as demanded by the Powers That Be who say you should be constantly signing up for details, and volunteering for everything; basically pretending you do not actually have a current job.

I do wonder about this detail, since it was not listed on USAJobs, and I did not realize that could even happen (at least for an agency that uses it). Maybe it is clandestine recruiting for an intelligence agency. Or a trick to fire overambitious people :(