Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Madurai posted:

Lesson learned the hard way: NEMA 14-50 isn't actually the standard RV plug, after all. Need to pick up one of these.

It's the standard large RV plug, but pretty much every park will have 120v 30A from a TT-30 connector where 240v 50A from a 14-50 is generally available at nicer parks but may not be in all spaces.

And occasionally you find the real shithole parks that only have standard 15/20A, but those tend to be the middle of nowhere places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
'Infinite kilometers' 8 year warranty on the drivetrain and battery for all teslas

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/infinite-mile-warranty

elon musk posted:

The Tesla Model S drive unit warranty has been increased to match that of the battery pack. That means the 85 kWh Model S, our most popular model by far, now has an 8 year, infinite mile warranty on both the battery pack and drive unit. There is also no limit on the number of owners during the warranty period.

Moreover, the warranty extension will apply retroactively to all Model S vehicles ever produced. In hindsight, this should have been our policy from the beginning of the Model S program.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

http://renovomotors.com/the-coupe/

An electric Shelby Daytona. 500+ hp 1000 ft-lbs and no mention of range :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm guessing about a 1/4 mile.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Peter Cheney, a journalist for the Canadian newspaper The Globe and Mail is embarking on a long trip in a Tesla S, from San Diego CA to Whistler BC.

Peter Cheney posted:

My route is also optimized for the Tesla, with a high concentration of Supercharger stations (a look at the map on Tesla’s website shows a couple of dozen along the road from San Diego to Squamish, B.C., which marks the northern end of the Supercharger route).
He's taking what's probably the easiest long trip possible today in a Tesla, along the main corridor of charger stations on the west coast. So I'm calling this "easy mode", and I hope after this trip he tries something a bit more ambitious, including a crossing of the middle of the continent east-to-west or west-to-east.

Link to the soon-I-will-depart article: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/adventure/red-line/can-our-writer-make-it-from-san-diego-to-squamish-in-a-tesla/article20057928/

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I'm starting to suspect having a volt may hurt my overall fuel savings since if I think a trip is going to be more than 40 miles between charges I'll take my truck to avoid lowering the volt's mpg rating :haw:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
So, I have had my Volt for about 2 months now, and I still love it. I still suffer from mileage anxiety though.

About 2 weeks after getting it, I killed my lifetime MPG down from "250+" to 77 by taking a 600 mile round trip to the family lake house on gas only. The 45ish actual MPG I was getting for the ride was WAY better than my previous Volvo, so I still considered it a win. Since then, I have climbed back up to 114. 9 days out of 10 I don't hit gas usage.

I still haven't sprung for a new charger/installation, and for as small as the Volt's battery actually is, I haven't been feeling like I am missing anything. If I am home and charging, I am almost always there for 8+ hours anyway. When I go out at night, I typically go straight from work, almost never home for a few hours, then back out.

My only complaints:

- The stereo is really bad (I am not an audio guy, and it still bothers me how bad it is)
- Noticeable ringing sound from time to time
- If the A/C is on, the noise from what I assume is the compressor is quite loud outside the car
- The lock/unlock buttons on the handles have about a 25% success rate

Other than these mostly minor things, I love the heck out of it. I've only been to the gas station twice in 2 months, both during the aforementioned road trip. Barring anything unforeseen, already planning on picking up a 2017 version when my current lease is up. Can't wait to see the progress in those 3 years.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
My biggest complaint about the door locks is that you can't lock the car using the handle button unless all the doors are closed. So if a passenger is taking a while you have to wait until they shut their door, then you can lock it. I haven't checked to see if the remote does the same thing because I never take my keys out anymore.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Hillridge posted:

My biggest complaint about the door locks is that you can't lock the car using the handle button unless all the doors are closed. So if a passenger is taking a while you have to wait until they shut their door, then you can lock it. I haven't checked to see if the remote does the same thing because I never take my keys out anymore.

That would bug the hell out of me. My Golf R (and I imagine all Audi/VW products with keyless entry) allow me to touch the door handle to lock the doors even if any of them are open, and simply locks and honks when the last door shuts.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hillridge posted:

If you turn on auto-lock, the doors lock automatically when they're all closed and you walk away from the car. The only time I manually lock the doors is when I use remote start.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have a stripper-model car without any power options whatsoever (except cruise control, that's nice to have) and literally no one who I carry as a passenger locks their door behind them. Ten years ago everyone knew to do that, now people are initially confused at what I'm asking them to do. :argh:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sagebrush posted:

I have a stripper-model car without any power options whatsoever (except cruise control, that's nice to have) and literally no one who I carry as a passenger locks their door behind them. Ten years ago everyone knew to do that, now people are initially confused at what I'm asking them to do. :argh:
I've got used to keyless entry so quickly, I drove my friend's Avensis to Nando's a few days back, and managed to get most of the way across the car park before realising I hadn't locked it. :ohdear:

Seeing as I'm posting in this thread: I've had my Zoe nearly two months now, and I never did get around to making a proper post about it. Is anyone interested? Let me know if you have specific stuff you want me to put up about it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

InitialDave posted:

Seeing as I'm posting in this thread: I've had my Zoe nearly two months now, and I never did get around to making a proper post about it. Is anyone interested? Let me know if you have specific stuff you want me to put up about it.
I'm interested. How about some pictures to start? Anything Renault is pretty rare (i.e. non-existent) around here.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Well, this is all I have for now, but I'll sort out giving it a wash and getting some more pictures tomorrow:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

dubzee posted:

http://renovomotors.com/the-coupe/

An electric Shelby Daytona. 500+ hp 1000 ft-lbs and no mention of range :v:

Range is however far to closest tree/ditch, naturally. Or, with an instant 1,000 ft-lbs...the nearest tire shop.

E: Yep, that pic of the 'engine bay' is absolutely making it into my desktop rotation. Only wish it was a bit higher resolution though.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 24, 2014

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Depending on if I get this job I'm applying too which would include a big pay upgrade I'm strongly leaning towards a full electric as my next vehicle. I have the good fortune to live in Los Angeles. Where regen breaking would be the norm due to the horrific traffic, but also the many many spots for charging with more going up every month.

Has anyone else been reading up on the Kia Soul EV? It seems outside of a slightly higher rear seating floor the interior remains pretty spacious. I'm really liking the look and can't wait until the dealers start getting them in in the coming months. Very exciting stuff.

Just driving around I've seen a lot more Nissan Leafs in the past year than I ever remember in years past. Constantly seeing Volts as well since their debut and since there are so many rich people here I see Tesla's all the time. It certainly seems very very viable to go EV full time in this city.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

Hillridge posted:

I have mine setup to lock 10 seconds after the last person leaves the car. It was bugging me that the car didn't beep when locking from the door. Now I just leave and wait for the beep while I am walking away. (Side effect it still locks with keys in car, I never tested if it will still unlock with the keys in)

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Dbhjed posted:

I have mine setup to lock 10 seconds after the last person leaves the car. It was bugging me that the car didn't beep when locking from the door. Now I just leave and wait for the beep while I am walking away. (Side effect it still locks with keys in car, I never tested if it will still unlock with the keys in)

There's a setting for that too!

:science:

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

Goober Peas posted:

There's a setting for that too!

:science:

To have it beep when you lock it from the button(from the door)?!?!? Do tell

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I'm pretty excited because in about a week my solar install will have paid for itself, and I can claim it's free power going right into driving. I average enough power production a day to cover a full recharge (which I usually don't need) with extra left over. :dance:

22.7 MWh of production since it went live a little over 4 years ago!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Dbhjed posted:

To have it beep when you lock it from the button(from the door)?!?!? Do tell

Ahhh...I misunderstood. You can make it beep when you lock it from the remote, or make it beep when you turn the passive locking on. I have mine set for no beep with remote, beep with passive locking. I never use the door button to lock (only to unlock).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

sanchez posted:

Ola posted:

I was able to maintain the speed limit just fine by staying in 2nd gear at around 5000 rpm, nice with a revvy 1.0.
Why would you do this?

Woops, forgot about answering this. The point is to drive at a constant speed downhill, not needing to ride the brakes.

About stoplight creep, VW solved this pretty well. If you're stopped and release the brake, it's held in place with hill hold until you press the accelerator. If you give the accelerator the tiniest of dabs, it begins to creep. Brake to a complete stop again and it holds. Works nicely in my opinion, braking a creeping car is more accurate than using the accelerator when you need to be very slow / careful.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Does anybody here have any experiences with extreme cold conditions and EVs? I have a relatively short commute, but it gets to be -30c and colder several weeks a year. Does that rule out an electric car for me?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

2 questions: can you plug in at work (even to a wall outlet/block heater post) and do you have a garage?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Frank Dillinger posted:

Does anybody here have any experiences with extreme cold conditions and EVs? I have a relatively short commute, but it gets to be -30c and colder several weeks a year. Does that rule out an electric car for me?

How short? I was seeing 40 miles of range in winter with heat on full (4.5kwh) my Leaf. But the other side is heat timers and smart phone control. So it was always warm with that range. In the dead of night, unplugged in that type of temp, it kicked in the battery warmer twice with no noticeable range loss. I also ran winter tires, so handling was good and probably sucked more of the range.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I have a garage at home, and possibly block heater outlets at work or, if I somehow convince the boss, a fast-charge outlet inside the shop. My commute is 6-10km. The possibility of pre-heating the car is why I'm kind of also interested in an EV. The second reason being that I work for a Mercedes/smart dealer, and lease rates on the electric smart are pretty low (haven't got any solid numbers yet)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

If you leave the key fob in your Model S, it could be stolen--but hey, at least you can watch where they go.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Range is however far to closest tree/ditch, naturally. Or, with an instant 1,000 ft-lbs...the nearest tire shop.

E: Yep, that pic of the 'engine bay' is absolutely making it into my desktop rotation. Only wish it was a bit higher resolution though.

http://image.motortrend.com/f/roadtests/coupes/1408_2015_renovo_coupe_first_ride/73064459/2015-renovo-coupe-powertrain.jpg

and

http://image.motortrend.com/f/roadtests/coupes/1408_2015_renovo_coupe_first_ride/73064441/2015-renovo-coupe-powertrain-2.jpg

Better?

e: from here: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1408_2015_renovo_coupe_first_ride/

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Jesus I had to close the tab on that video because of how. punctuated. and. jarring. the narration. became. That was painful to listen to.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Also posted this pic in the AI thread....

I spotted this electric motorcycle and did a double-take as I went by. The owner saw me taking a picture and came over to say hi. It has a 50 mile range, while the newer models will be able to go longer.
Here is their website:
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Frank Dillinger posted:

I have a garage at home, and possibly block heater outlets at work or, if I somehow convince the boss, a fast-charge outlet inside the shop. My commute is 6-10km. The possibility of pre-heating the car is why I'm kind of also interested in an EV. The second reason being that I work for a Mercedes/smart dealer, and lease rates on the electric smart are pretty low (haven't got any solid numbers yet)

I'd say you're probably fine. Though, I have no idea how the Smart ED does on ice. I'd be concerned with the wheelbase making things squirrely.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Electric 1966 Porsche 912. Owned by Goku.
https://twitter.com/IanJames007

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CharlesM posted:

Also posted this pic in the AI thread....

I spotted this electric motorcycle and did a double-take as I went by. The owner saw me taking a picture and came over to say hi. It has a 50 mile range, while the newer models will be able to go longer.
Here is their website:
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

That's quite an old version -- the new ones look a lot more finished and less hacked together. I test rode the current S model a couple of months ago and it's hella fun. Tons of torque from zero RPM, no clutch, no shifting, great science fiction humming/whirring sound. Given how noisy and shaky most gas motorcycle are, it's pretty eerie to get on the bike, put the kickstand up, flip the killswitch and...nothing. A little light on the gauge cluster goes green and it's ready to go but that's it. Twist and it just sort of surges forwards with this musical warbling noise. (Which, incidentally, is not loud but obvious enough that people on the street start looking around for it, so that's cool)

video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMazwVgyyKY

Also if you're interested there is an electric bike thread in Cycle Asylum.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Definitely, thanks!

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Finally managed to get a little seat time (aka 2 5 minute trips) in a volt. It is a very eerie feeling to moving in a car, but not in a vehicle which has a transmission/motor that I've so commonly used as a speed/movement gauge.

Also, the brakes at low speed are hard to get used to/modulate due to the regenerative braking (I think), probably just need a little more seat time to adapt.

Ultimately, not in any place to buy one any time soon, so I'll definitely have to see how the market shakes down in the few years with the tesla patent moves, etc when we should hopefully be looking to replace the subaru. Hopefully, I would go full EV, and not a funky hybrid like the volt. I think the Volt is a great solution to the range and trip concerns, however when I'm in the market it will be for dedicated in town trips so we're probably talking like a max 50 mile range would be sufficient as we would have the kid hauler for anything longer.

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 14, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ssjonizuka posted:

Finally managed to get a little seat time (aka 2 5 minute trips) in a volt. It is a very eerie feeling to moving in a car, but not in a vehicle which has a transmission/motor that I've so commonly used as a speed/movement gauge.

Also, the brakes at low speed are hard to get used to/modulate due to the regenerative braking (I think), probably just need a little more seat time to adapt.

Ultimately, not in any place to buy one any time soon, so I'll definitely have to see how the market shakes down in the few years with the tesla patent moves, etc when we should hopefully be looking to replace the subaru. Hopefully, I would go full EV, and not a funky hybrid like the volt. I think the Volt is a great solution to the range and trip concerns, however when I'm in the market it will be for dedicated in town trips so we're probably talking like a max 50 mile range would be sufficient as we would have the kid hauler for anything longer.

The regen/friction brake tuning, particularly the transition between the two at low speed, is my only real complaint with the car, dynamically. It's just a little balky under light deceleration to a stop, as the regen stops and the friction brakes engage.

Other than that, it's a magic carpet of quiet smoothness.

I've driven a gasoline Cruze, and those cars are remarkably quiet and smooth, for the price point, as well.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Sawing the roof off a Model S: funny-looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g_cCKNxrdE

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Elon Musk ready to "unveil the D"

COMMENCE GIGGLING

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

My guess is it is a sportier Model S with Dual motors (all wheel drive, ripped straight from the Model X). More of an R8 superish-car. Bigger margins without having to develop a new Roadster from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Well, if Ford won't let him have "S E X", he might as well whip out his D anyway.

• Locked thread