Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Kazvall posted:

All Clan names must adhere to the 'having an animal in it, or being about animals' rule.

Clan Clan Clam :v:

But honestly gently caress the clans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Getting back to game talk, I get why people consider IS Streaks to be crap, but surely for Clan mechs they can be good? I mean, Clan Streak go all the way up to 6... A Vulture (/Mad Dog) can tote 36 SSRMs and he's just paying a tonnage penalty to ensure that every one always hits, right?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

WarLocke posted:

Getting back to game talk, I get why people consider IS Streaks to be crap, but surely for Clan mechs they can be good? I mean, Clan Streak go all the way up to 6... A Vulture (/Mad Dog) can tote 36 SSRMs and he's just paying a tonnage penalty to ensure that every one always hits, right?

The bigger Clan launchers take longer to recharge, it's very noticeable and never really seems worth it as opposed to just taking a bit of effort to aim with regular SRM's.

Clan Streaks:

SSRM2 3.5 second recycle time
SSRM4 5.0 second recycle time
SSRM6 6.0 second recycle time

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

Voyager I posted:

CW will use the long-planned Dropship mode. You will bring one mech of each weight category to battle. It does not clarify if your team is limited to any particular distribution on the ground at any given time, so it will be interesting to see if you're allowed to drop with 10 assaults and some scouts for your initial group.

Way down in the FAQs section of post 2

Is there any team limit on what you take in the first spawn/wave?
Right now we're not planning on having a limit on which 'Mechs are taken in the first drop. If a team wishes to take all Assaults at the start of a match, they're going to regret it as the fight continues and they start losing their assaults and are left with lights at the end of the match.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I don't think they get how focused fire works.

I don't think they get how a lot of things work.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

imperialparadox posted:

The bigger Clan launchers take longer to recharge, it's very noticeable and never really seems worth it as opposed to just taking a bit of effort to aim with regular SRM's.

Clan Streaks:

SSRM2 3.5 second recycle time
SSRM4 5.0 second recycle time
SSRM6 6.0 second recycle time

Streaks make all the difference in the world when you're hunting very fast babby mechs.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

Streaks make all the difference in the world when you're hunting very fast babby mechs.

I mean I get his point, 6 seconds is a long time. But 36SSRM + 4xERML + C-AP seems like it would be a ridiculous heavy skirmisher to me.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

WarLocke posted:

I mean I get his point, 6 seconds is a long time. But 36SSRM + 4xERML + C-AP seems like it would be a ridiculous heavy skirmisher to me.

Don't you run into tonnage problems on the Mad Dog with HexaSSRM6s ?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Kylra posted:

I don't think they get how focused fire works.

I don't think they get how a lot of things work.

emptyquoting

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

The thing that bugs me about Streaks, other than the cooldown on clan versions, is the random hit locations. I feel like the random hit locations nullifies any advantage you get with having the lockon. I've been using SRM6's lately, and I'd rather have that than a Streak-6, even when going against lights.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Fumblemouse posted:

Way down in the FAQs section of post 2

Is there any team limit on what you take in the first spawn/wave?
Right now we're not planning on having a limit on which 'Mechs are taken in the first drop. If a team wishes to take all Assaults at the start of a match, they're going to regret it as the fight continues and they start losing their assaults and are left with lights at the end of the match.

Man, clans are going to own this mode so hard. Everyone could drop with Dire Wolf, Timber Wolf, Stormcrow, Koshi/Kitfox and they would poo poo on pretty much anything the IS could bring to the table.
Even the Stormcrows are basically pocket heavies, and Adders can be kitted out as pocket mediums.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Dramicus posted:

Man, clans are going to own this mode so hard. Everyone could drop with Dire Wolf, Timber Wolf, Stormcrow, Koshi/Kitfox and they would poo poo on pretty much anything the IS could bring to the table.
Even the Stormcrows are basically pocket heavies, and Adders can be kitted out as pocket mediums.

So they should let the IS guys queue up 5 mechs but that is hardmode for pgi.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

TeeMerk posted:

So they should let the IS guys queue up 5 mechs but that is hardmode for pgi.

That might be too much of a numbers advantage when its 4x12 vs 5x12.

Paul posted:

Will some planets be off limits?
Each Faction's capital planet will be off limits. Planets in the Periphery will also be off limits for now. However, Karl has shown me how to make any planet on the map contestable so you never know what may happen outside of the main Faction borders.

Looks like we might have an EvE situation, where fighting in the inner-sphere is faction only, while it may be possible to have player empires in the Periphery. But of course don't get your hopes up, all of this is just mist in Paul's farts. We probably wouldn't see anything like that for several years.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 25, 2014

RiperSnifel
Jul 13, 2007

Pull the handle, let it go, now you know you're ready to roll.

WarLocke posted:

Eh, I get your point and normally would agree. The issue for me is the way the dual reticle and arm/torso linkage is done fucks with my eyes. It's not just a matter of wanting it simple.

Clearly your best bet is the most rational one - take lots of hallucinogens and play without armlock until your mind is forced to accept the optical input.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Haven't they talked about having clans be down a man when facing the IS?

I still hold that they should advance the timeline to like 3058/59. Not quite the power creep of the full on Civil War or Jihad Era, but at least to the point where we start to see IS Omni's more IS equivalents of lostech and some unique to the IS weapons like MRMs and RACs.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Iron Tusk posted:

Haven't they talked about having clans be down a man when facing the IS?

I think they said that was too hard because they'd have to modify the lobby and the scoreboard.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The light fusion engine or whatever it is called would also be interesting for IS brawlers.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Holy poo poo there's an MWO thread again?

Is this game worth playing again after a several month hiatus?

Can I put clan weapons on my Raven-3L?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Depending on the map layout, it might be better to initially drop in faster 'mechs to ensure better positioning. I'm not sure an all-assault open would be a good idea.

Then again, Gargoyle!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

OB_Juan posted:

Depending on the map layout, it might be better to initially drop in faster 'mechs to ensure better positioning. I'm not sure an all-assault open would be a good idea.

Then again, Gargoyle!

Steiner scout lance, GO!

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

various cheeses posted:

Holy poo poo there's an MWO thread again?

Is this game worth playing again after a several month hiatus?

In order: technically there is, no, presumably no

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nope, no clan tech on IS mechs (and visa versa) because that might involve PGI taking the effort to balance them in a way that clan tech isn't outright better.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

various cheeses posted:

I'm a bit surprised that you can't pay MC to do just that.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Nope, no clan tech on IS mechs (and visa versa) because that might involve PGI taking the effort to balance them in a way that clan tech isn't outright better.

Even with less range and more weight, I'd rather have IS ACs and medium lasers.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

A.o.D. posted:

Even with less range and more weight, I'd rather have IS ACs and medium lasers.

lol

Wait aren't you the guy that said he has nothing but clan mechs?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

WebDO posted:

In order: technically there is, no, presumably no

Dammit.

Well maybe someday.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

lol

Wait aren't you the guy that said he has nothing but clan mechs?

Yeah. I can't do pinpoint damage with clan ACs, and my lasers have the same dps as IS versions, but produce wayyy more heat. I end up bumping against the heat limit in brawls much earlier than equivalent IS mechs.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

various cheeses posted:

Dammit.

Well maybe someday.

The only good thing I can say is that you can have large groups again to murder pubbies, it's still F2P technically, also alcohol may be needed.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

TeeMerk posted:

The only good thing I can say is that you can have large groups again to murder pubbies, it's still F2P technically, also alcohol may be needed.

Yeah that's what I miss most about the game: playing with other goons. Anyone from 1-2 years ago still play though?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah. I can't do pinpoint damage with clan ACs, and my lasers have the same dps as IS versions, but produce wayyy more heat. I end up bumping against the heat limit in brawls much earlier than equivalent IS mechs.
Clan lasers are higher dps than equivalent IS versions, except for the large pulse and the flamer. That includes comparing cER Medium lasers against IS Medium lasers.

various cheeses posted:

Yeah that's what I miss most about the game: playing with other goons. Anyone from 1-2 years ago still play though?
Some old birds have relapsed.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 26, 2014

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

various cheeses posted:

106 in WoL.

Average about 10-30 unique accounts per night with peak times getting around 24 or so simultaneously on.

e: You are still the best Raven pilot I have seen FWIW

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
this game is terrible

everyone who plays it is terrible

everyone who makes it is terrible except 19 who is p cool

everyone who posts about it anywhere is terrible, including me

peace

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Anyone said Clan Fat Bee yet?

Cease to Hope posted:

this game is terrible

everyone who plays it is terrible

everyone who makes it is terrible except 19 who is p cool

peace

Retained.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

One look at my stats proves this to be true

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

TeeMerk posted:

106 in WoL.

Average about 10-30 unique accounts per night with peak times getting around 24 or so simultaneously on.

e: You are still the best Raven pilot I have seen FWIW

Huh. Maybe I'll patch it and do some drops. Same mumble info (pm it to me if not).

Also thanks, but I bet I'm terrible now.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

various cheeses posted:

Huh. Maybe I'll patch it and do some drops. Same mumble info (pm it to me if not).

Also thanks, but I bet I'm terrible now.

Page 25

Can this get into the OP?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Does anyone else have hemorrhoid-inducing lag on the new map?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Dramicus posted:

The KFX-D is pretty great. It's 30 tons, but carries more lurms (40) than a stock catapult (30) with 990 11lb warheads while at max armor.

I'm not sure how this is supposed to be not great. It has completely changed my opinion of the Kitfox. It makes assaults cry, particularly IS mechs. Why gently caress around in the danger zone with a JR7-F when I can hold left mouse to 400-700 damage per match in a Kitfox?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

aniviron posted:

The KFX-D is pretty great. It's 30 tons, but carries more lurms (40) than a stock catapult (30) with 990 11lb warheads while at max armor.

I'm not sure how this is supposed to be not great. It has completely changed my opinion of the Kitfox. It makes assaults cry, particularly IS mechs. Why gently caress around in the danger zone with a JR7-F when I can hold left mouse to 400-700 damage per match in a Kitfox?

I know, its insane. I got my "creeping doom" achievement last night in my KFX-D, which is getting 3 kills without going below 90% health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
With a little effort, you can get an ECM in there too.

KFX-D

• Locked thread