Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Hey, sorry if I missed this in the FAQ but I have a quick question.

I wanted to get the implant but since I've never used birth control before my doctor suggested I take a progestorene only pill for 2-3 months first to see if it causes neverending bleeding (because if it does on the pill it will be the same with the implant and it would be very unpleasant and a waste of money if I chose to get it removed again, is what I gathered).
Now, in a month I'm going to be hopping across a few continents so I'm wondering how the time zones will affect the pill-taking. I didn't really think about it when I started taking them but I just realised that if I'm taking it at 10am now, then I'd need to take it at 8pm then, and I'm not so keen on taking it in the evenings. Are there any problems with switching the time I take it?

I am horrible at taking pills, I'm only on my second day and I already took one 2 hours late. Luckily I'm at no risk of getting pregnant right now. :v: I sure hope I can get an implant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I always set a reminder alarm on my cell phone to go off at the same time everyday, since I pretty much always had my phone around me somewhere. Eventually it becomes habit and you just remember "Oh it's 8:00, time for my pill" or whatever.

If I wanted to switch the time I took it, I would just take it a little earlier or later than normal (like an hour or half-hour) until I got to the new time I desired. But I was on a combined-pill (with estrogen in it) and those have a much larger "margin of error" with pill times than progestin-only pills. I also only did that because I was sexually active at the time.

If I wasn't at the time and there was absolutely definitely no risk of me getting pregnant I would just wait and take it at whatever new time I wanted, then started my routine from there. It's just possible you might get some wonky hormonal things like spotting or also maybe nothing at all.

I've also heard the "test driving with a pill" thing isn't always a 100% accurate predictor of how you'll handle things like implants since often the forumlations/dosages are different so if it doesn't go perfectly don't lose hope!

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
I've heard that the best way to change when you're taking the pill is to wait for the start of a new pack and do it then. It sounds like that should coincide rather nicely with when you are going to be traveling.

And seconding the phone alarm thing. Especially with minipills, because there's a much smaller window of error with them. A friend of mine has hers set to the wedding song :v:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't understand the "test drive" thing, because minipills and Nexplanon are different hormones at different doses delivered differently.

Also, Nexplanon might take longer to settle in -- I had a few months of on-and-off spotting at first. But since then I've had six years (seriously!) of no periods. So a 2- or 3-month test drive wouldn't give you the whole picture even if it was the same thing.

You know you're terrible at taking pills, plus since you're going to be traveling a ton, how will you be picking up monthly prescriptions? If you have insurance, I'd just say gently caress it and go for Nexplanon. If your doctor is really opposed to it, I'd just find a new one. I had never taken any birth control before I got Implanon, and it wasn't a big deal at all.

e: if you do want to keep taking the pill, definitely don't change the time all at once. It might be doable on combo pills, but as you know, minipills are way pickier. You should be able to do it gradually -- it'll be a real hassle, but it should work. You could call your doctor's office for advice, or even talking to your pharmacist should be helpful.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 31, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

e: if you do want to keep taking the pill, definitely don't change the time all at once. It might be doable on combo pills, but as you know, minipills are way pickier. You should be able to do it gradually -- it'll be a real hassle, but it should work. You could call your doctor's office for advice, or even talking to your pharmacist should be helpful.

It may cause some weirdness at first, but if she's not at risk of getting pregnant anyway I don't see what the problem is really.

But I am with you on the "just get the implant" thing. Unless it's going to be serious expense for her or something.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't understand the "test drive" thing, because minipills and Nexplanon are different hormones at different doses delivered differently.

Also, Nexplanon might take longer to settle in -- I had a few months of on-and-off spotting at first. But since then I've had six years (seriously!) of no periods. So a 2- or 3-month test drive wouldn't give you the whole picture even if it was the same thing.

You know you're terrible at taking pills, plus since you're going to be traveling a ton, how will you be picking up monthly prescriptions? If you have insurance, I'd just say gently caress it and go for Nexplanon. If your doctor is really opposed to it, I'd just find a new one. I had never taken any birth control before I got Implanon, and it wasn't a big deal at all.

She wasn't really opposed to it, she just didn't recommend it since it was my first time and I think she said about 2 or 3 out of every 10 women who got the implant ended up having continuous periods and there wasn't really a way to tell if you'd get it or not. She said it's ultimately my choice though and if I want to play russian roulette with it I can go ahead. :3:
I guess besides that my only arguments against getting the implant right now are 1) if something goes wrong (I don't know what would, but just as an example) I might not get a chance to see that doctor again and would have to see a different one overseas and 2) I spent 70CHF on those bloody pills, what a waste that would be! How long do those things last if they aren't being used?

edit: My reasons for wanting to get it before I leave would be if it is cheaper here than it would be back in NZ (probably not likely) or if it's not available in NZ (I tried to look up the availability of Implanon there but I can't really see much about it other than that it's not subsidised, ugh). Also not wanting to take these pills every day when I'm not even having sex. :saddowns:

Laverna fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 31, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Laverna posted:

She wasn't really opposed to it, she just didn't recommend it since it was my first time and I think she said about 2 or 3 out of every 10 women who got the implant ended up having continuous periods and there wasn't really a way to tell if you'd get it or not. She said it's ultimately my choice though and if I want to play russian roulette with it I can go ahead. :3:
I guess besides that my only arguments against getting the implant right now are 1) if something goes wrong (I don't know what would, but just as an example) I might not get a chance to see that doctor again and would have to see a different one overseas and 2) I spent 70CHF on those bloody pills, what a waste that would be! How long do those things last if they aren't being used?

edit: My reasons for wanting to get it before I leave would be if it is cheaper here than it would be back in NZ (probably not likely) or if it's not available in NZ (I tried to look up the availability of Implanon there but I can't really see much about it other than that it's not subsidised, ugh). Also not wanting to take these pills every day when I'm not even having sex. :saddowns:

From what I understand (keeping in mind that I've never had the implant) is that it's more like spotting most of the time or just irregular periods. But I'll let actual Implanon users confirm/deny that.

The pills should have an expiration date on their packaging somewhere (mine was always on the plastic wrapper for the refills). You just need to store them in good conditions, like cool and dry etc.

Unfortunately pretty much all birth control is "you don't know til you try it" so it really is kind of up to you and what you want. I understand the hesitation, considering I took the dive on a really expensive and long-term birth control without knowing how I'd handle it first.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
If you want to change the time you take a minipill, move either earlier or later in increments of about 1 hour. If you check the directions that come with your pills, it will say how long the window for taking the pills lasts, but it's usually 1 to 3 hours. If you are 100% sure you won't be having sex in the week you'd be changing your pill time, you could just start taking it at the new time. It's a risk, though.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.
So I just asked my boss to ask our insurance company why my birth control isn't free. He said that because our company has less than 50 employees, the mandates do not apply to us. I can't find any supporting documentation on the internet about that. Is it true? My nuvarings are loving $60 a month now, with insurance and with the manufacturer's coupon. Does anyone know more about the ACA and can you elaborate on this? My partner is planning on getting a vasectomy in the near future so this won't be an issue, but to be honest after the recent posts in this thread I don't want him to; I would rather just stay on the nuvaring forever. (I'm old, menopause is only like 10-15 years away anyhow.)

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

appleskates posted:

So I just asked my boss to ask our insurance company why my birth control isn't free. He said that because our company has less than 50 employees, the mandates do not apply to us. I can't find any supporting documentation on the internet about that. Is it true? My nuvarings are loving $60 a month now, with insurance and with the manufacturer's coupon. Does anyone know more about the ACA and can you elaborate on this? My partner is planning on getting a vasectomy in the near future so this won't be an issue, but to be honest after the recent posts in this thread I don't want him to; I would rather just stay on the nuvaring forever. (I'm old, menopause is only like 10-15 years away anyhow.)

It's true and I don't think companies that are less than 50 employees will have a lot of things from ACA kick in until 2015/2016. As to why, well, Republicans.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

nutranurse posted:

It's true and I don't think companies that are less than 50 employees will have a lot of things from ACA kick in until 2015/2016. As to why, well, Republicans.

Okay. Thank you for the information. :)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

appleskates posted:

Please don't let this one instance of bruising or whatever completely turn you off of vasectomies. Here's the vasectomy megathread, check how many stoked guys have posted there. I bet this guy will be one of them too in a few weeks.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

Please don't let this one instance of bruising or whatever completely turn you off of vasectomies. Here's the vasectomy megathread, check how many stoked guys have posted there. I bet this guy will be one of them too in a few weeks.

Yeah even the dude who had a bunch of gross complications is stoked about it. :v:

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
I've been considering the idea of permanent sterilization for some time now and I was wondering if any of the ladies in this thread have links relevant to the Canadian Health care system on what I should research for tubal ligation. I'd like to read up on things a bit more and the advice I've seen in here has been pretty solid.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Well, I got a Mirena IUD put in today. The cramps just about killed me when I woke up. To say nothing of the pills I took before the operation even started. (The OB/GYN was curious about my oddly shaped uterus, so I also had to have a camera look at that)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Violet_Sky posted:

Well, I got a Mirena IUD put in today. The cramps just about killed me when I woke up. To say nothing of the pills I took before the operation even started. (The OB/GYN was curious about my oddly shaped uterus, so I also had to have a camera look at that)

If it makes you feel better, the cramps were worst in the first few hours after and mostly by gone the next day.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
My fiance has had an IUD (I don't actually know which one but she's pretty sure its Mirena?) since December of last year. Ever since then, she almost always gets spotting/quite heavy bleeding in between period and cramps all the time (at least one every 2 weeks, if not more). Bad cramps too, where she can barely function and doubles over in pain. This has been for 7 months now. She just got back from a gyno who apparenlty is "old school" and says women who haven't had children should not have IUDs (this is not the gyno who put it in) and scheduled her for a ultrasound to see if its placed correctly, but thinks she should take it out. She's leaning that way too obviously because of so much pain and so much spotting which is impeding the very reason for the IUD (sex). She took the pill before but it caused her lots of nausea and she felt like she was gaining weight. I dont think she really has the nausea now, but like I said she has lots of spotting and very bad cramps. Her actual periods are also very heavy and crampirific too. Is this normal, or is it really not for her? Could this be caused by a badly placed IUD? Also whenever she works out/does anything very physical, she also gets cramps which also very much upsets her.

Should she just take it out?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
She should find a gynecologist who will actually see what's up with her as an individual instead of just putting down the blanket rule that nulliparas can't have IUDs. She might be right the IUD isn't working for her, but she still deserves a gynecologist who is aware of the last ~20 years of research.

asiperi
Aug 13, 2014
Guys, I just got my Mirena put in, and holy poo poo, these are the worst cramps I've ever had in my loving life. I've only ever had moderate cramping at worst, but I went pale and almost passed out, then had to spend some time whimpering on the table in the fetal position while the doctor got me ibuprofen and a lollipop. Anyone else go through this / have any tips for dealing with really bad cramps?

Edit:

Violet_Sky posted:

High five, Mirena buddy.

asiperi fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 18, 2014

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

asiperi posted:

Guys, I just got my Mirena put in, and holy poo poo, these are the worst cramps I've ever had in my loving life. I've only ever had moderate cramping at worst, but I went pale and almost passed out, then had to spend some time whimpering on the table in the fetal position while the doctor got me ibuprofen and a lollipop. Anyone else go through this / have any tips for dealing with really bad cramps?
Ibuprofen, sit in bed all day with a hot water bottle if you can, use heating pads if you have to go out and do stuff. (Did you take 800mg ibu an hour before the insertion? That made the actual procedure a breeze for me, although I might just have a very well behaved cervix) As you've noticed the cramps are worst about an hour after insertion (I got to spend that time on the bus getting jolted in the pelvis at every pothole, lucky me) and subside over the day. You should be feeling better tomorrow, or the day after at the worst. After that you'll still get occasional random cramps for a while but they shouldn't last more than a minute or so at a time.

I hope you end up loving your Mirena as much as I do! :)

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Heat, ibu, lying down, ice cream (probably optional... but I didn't think so). You'll feel better tomorrow and even better then day after. I def has a weak pale fetal position moment on the table, too.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Gozinbulx posted:

My fiance has had an IUD (I don't actually know which one but she's pretty sure its Mirena?) since December of last year. Ever since then, she almost always gets spotting/quite heavy bleeding in between period and cramps all the time (at least one every 2 weeks, if not more). Bad cramps too, where she can barely function and doubles over in pain. This has been for 7 months now. She just got back from a gyno who apparenlty is "old school" and says women who haven't had children should not have IUDs (this is not the gyno who put it in) and scheduled her for a ultrasound to see if its placed correctly, but thinks she should take it out. She's leaning that way too obviously because of so much pain and so much spotting which is impeding the very reason for the IUD (sex). She took the pill before but it caused her lots of nausea and she felt like she was gaining weight. I dont think she really has the nausea now, but like I said she has lots of spotting and very bad cramps. Her actual periods are also very heavy and crampirific too. Is this normal, or is it really not for her? Could this be caused by a badly placed IUD? Also whenever she works out/does anything very physical, she also gets cramps which also very much upsets her.

Should she just take it out?

I think she should get the ultrasound just because if you're right about the type of IUD it is, it might be worth seeing if something else is also going on. Heavy heavy periods and bad cramps are more typical of the Paragard IUD. But it's also entirely possible that it's a bad placement or her body just doesn't like having something in her uterus.

But if she wants it out, I don't see any reason why she shouldn't. There are plenty of other birth control options out there that are "set it and forget it" like Implanon. And if size/placement is the only issue, they make an IUD specifically for nulliparous women called Skyla.

asiperi posted:

Edit:

High five, Mirena buddy.

Like the other poster said ibuprofen, heat and just resting helps. Spoil yourself today. :) If you absolutely have to be up and can't sit around with a heat pad on your lap, there are heat patches you can stick in your underwear that work wonders (I use Thermacare usually). If this is the first 24 hours or so after insertion, then it will probably be much better by the next day. Or it was for me at least, everyone's different.

After my IUD insertion I dosed myself with ibuprofen, got some baggy PJ pants on, a heat pad and some good food then just kind of camped out in one spot for the day. :v:

Dana Scully
Dec 25, 2010

hey scully, wanna break into the dean's office?
So I've been riding out having my Implanon mostly by virtue of the fact that I hate going to the doctor, and my cycle seems to have settled somewhat into a week of period, then light bleeding, enough so that I just have to wear a liner every day for a month, and then another period, and then a month of no bleeding!

I'm hoping that eventually this settles down some more, but I'm way happier than when I was bleeding every day for weeks on end.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
I got a Paragard IUD put in one week ago. (I'm 34, and have never had kids.) After reading this thread, I expected the pain on insertion, the cramps, and the heavy bleeding. I didn't expect having to pee every hour or two. It will stop as my body gets used to having something down there pressing on everything, right?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Keska posted:

I got a Paragard IUD put in one week ago. (I'm 34, and have never had kids.) After reading this thread, I expected the pain on insertion, the cramps, and the heavy bleeding. I didn't expect having to pee every hour or two. It will stop as my body gets used to having something down there pressing on everything, right?

Honestly I didn't have this when I got my Paragard, but I do remember things just feeling kind of "weird" and heavy in my pelvic area for a little while. I think some of it was anxiety too, since I was so worried about watching for complications that I was kind of hyper-aware of what was going on down there. In my case it did get better after a few days to a week, though I can't 100% guarantee it's what you're having. Sorry if that's not super helpful. :(

If it keeps being a problem, definitely check with your doctor.

What I can tell you is that after a while, once it settles you kind of forget it's in there unless it's your period or you have a random cramp.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Keska posted:

It should settle down. Full bladder (or bowels) will push on your uterus and piss things off down there. For me it manifested as cramps whenever thing were too full. Over the first few months it went away. With future IUDs it wasn't an issue.

pomme
May 8, 2013
Hi everyone. I'm sure this has been talked about but I wanted to bring it up again. I want to get the Mirena however I enjoy that on Nuvaring I can move my period around to where it feels 'convenient.' (Eg: not in the middle of a vacation or exams.)
I know that Mirena will sometimes prevent bleeding, but does anyone have experience with this?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
About 20% of women with Mirena will stop getting their periods all together. I am in that 20%. But most will see theirs get much lighter, though I know from a few of my friends things are a little irregular at first, but then settle down after about 6ish months.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Canadian Bakin posted:

I've been considering the idea of permanent sterilization for some time now and I was wondering if any of the ladies in this thread have links relevant to the Canadian Health care system on what I should research for tubal ligation. I'd like to read up on things a bit more and the advice I've seen in here has been pretty solid.

I'm just gonna PM you since this post was over a month ago, but for anyone else who wants to read a thing- here's my story earlier in the thread about getting a tubal.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Sep 22, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Scudworth posted:

I'm just gonna PM you since this post was over a month ago, but for anyone else who wants to read a thing- here's my story earlier in the thread about getting a tubal.

Thanks for linking that, everyone around me is having babies and this is getting more tempting. :v:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Does anyone take Lo Loestrin FE? If so, how is it?

I'm asking because I HAVE to take a Hormonal BC pill to regulate my Endometriosis. This won't affect how pills work on me, except that it should be taken for the lighter/less often period side effect many BC pills have. However, I am extra hormone sensitive and BC pills usually loving suck. Weight gain, acne, psychotic mood swings (literally. When I was on the patch as a teenager the psychiatrist gave me Lamictal and after going off of them, my behavior did a complete reversal and he didn't want me on anything at all)

The good thing about Lo Loestrin so far is it is incredibly nice in the side effect department. My weight hasn't gone up, I have slightly worse anxiety every once in a while but absolutely nothing like what other BC pills have caused me, and my boobs have grown a bit. I mostly love the pill. However, it has one big problem that could end up a dealbreaker.

Lo Loestrin is supposed to curb periods. However, it's having the opposite effect with me and I have had breakthrough bleeding every single day since taking this stuff. The cramping is mild and the blood flow varies from hardly there to a decent regular period, but it loving sucks. It's ruining my sex life and even giving me mild anemia symptoms...at least my endo only destroys my life for about one week out of the month. However, I haven't been on this pill long enough to know if it's going to keep going or if it's just some fairly typical first-cycle hormone insanity that BC pills cause.

The question is that some people take it and have breakthrough for one month, and then it tapers off and stops altogether. Other people never have a period again after taking it. Other people have a weird twice a month period. I'm honestly not willing to wait months and months to give this pill a chance to stop the bleeding if this is how my body reacts to it.

Has anyone else taken this stuff and had similar period symptoms? If so, when did it end? And if anyone who has endo is reading this, what birth control pill DOES work well for it?

Thanks.

Mr. Creakle fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 25, 2014

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

pomme posted:

Hi everyone. I'm sure this has been talked about but I wanted to bring it up again. I want to get the Mirena however I enjoy that on Nuvaring I can move my period around to where it feels 'convenient.' (Eg: not in the middle of a vacation or exams.)
I know that Mirena will sometimes prevent bleeding, but does anyone have experience with this?

My periods have reduced to almost nothing and this month was the lightest yet. Maybe 3 random days of "spotting" (one was just pink colored mucus for most of the day) and it kicks rear end. So, so much rear end. I'm at just under a year with mine now, so it does take a bit to get to that point. I'm not sure how to move or skip your period otherwise on the mirena, so if you've got an anniversary coming up that you want to be good to go for I don't have any suggestions, but by the next anniversary there's a pretty ok chance that you get have a grand ol time.

While I'm posting about my period, I have noticed, and my bf has agreed, that in more recent months the menstrual symptoms (bloating, moodiness, acne, etc) have gotten worse, especially the moodiness. On the pill I would just get angry pretty fast but now I'm super sensitive and emotional. Just yesterday I got misty eyed cause I thought he was making fun of me for being hungry. Is it normal for things to change as my hormones do or am I just getting old and things change on their own?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Cuckoo posted:

I'm asking because I HAVE to take a Hormonal BC pill to regulate my Endometriosis. This won't affect how pills work on me, except that it should be taken for the lighter/less often period side effect many BC pills have. However, I am extra hormone sensitive and BC pills usually loving suck. Weight gain, acne, psychotic mood swings (literally. When I was on the patch as a teenager the psychiatrist gave me Lamictal and after going off of them, my behavior did a complete reversal and he didn't want me on anything at all)

The good thing about Lo Loestrin so far is it is incredibly nice in the side effect department. My weight hasn't gone up, I have slightly worse anxiety every once in a while but absolutely nothing like what other BC pills have caused me, and my boobs have grown a bit. I mostly love the pill. However, it has one big problem that could end up a dealbreaker.

Lo Loestrin is supposed to curb periods. However, it's having the opposite effect with me and I have had breakthrough bleeding every single day since taking this stuff. The cramping is mild and the blood flow varies from hardly there to a decent regular period, but it loving sucks. It's ruining my sex life and even giving me mild anemia symptoms...at least my endo only destroys my life for about one week out of the month. However, I haven't been on this pill long enough to know if it's going to keep going or if it's just some fairly typical first-cycle hormone insanity that BC pills cause.

The question is that some people take it and have breakthrough for one month, and then it tapers off and stops altogether. Other people never have a period again after taking it. Other people have a weird twice a month period. I'm honestly not willing to wait months and months to give this pill a chance to stop the bleeding if this is how my body reacts to it.

Has anyone else taken this stuff and had similar period symptoms? If so, when did it end? And if anyone who has endo is reading this, what birth control pill DOES work well for it?

Thanks.

I haven't taken it myself, but apparently this side-effect is common enough that the manufacturer's site has a section devoted to it. It's kind of hard to say how long it will last, but it probably will take a few months for your body to adjust.

Are you stacking your pills? By "stacking" I mean skipping periods by not taking the placebo pills and going straight into a new pack. That can cause breakthrough bleeding a lot (or it did for me the few times I tried).

CeramicPig posted:

While I'm posting about my period, I have noticed, and my bf has agreed, that in more recent months the menstrual symptoms (bloating, moodiness, acne, etc) have gotten worse, especially the moodiness. On the pill I would just get angry pretty fast but now I'm super sensitive and emotional. Just yesterday I got misty eyed cause I thought he was making fun of me for being hungry. Is it normal for things to change as my hormones do or am I just getting old and things change on their own?

I can't say if it's the Mirena or not, but I have noticed as I've gotten older I tend to get moodier with hormones. In my teens and early 20s I'd maybe get PMS-type symptoms once or twice a year. Now the 3rd week of every cycle, pretty much everything is just like nails on a chalkboard annoying to me for no good reason (kind of wish I'd get the tears instead of rage!). It's bad enough that I try to put off big decisions about stuff until my hormones calm down sometimes because I don't trust my perception of things.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Cuckoo posted:

I'm honestly not willing to wait months and months to give this pill a chance to stop the bleeding if this is how my body reacts to it.

Thanks.

3 months is the generally suggested time to try a pill. Talk to your doctor if you feel like anything is a problem rather than mildly annoying.

I have no personal experience with endo but no two people I knew with it used the same thing. :(

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Cuckoo posted:

Thanks.

I took Lo LoEstrin FE for almost a year. I bled the entire time. Not really like a period, just constant gross brown discharge. My doctor said it was probably too low a dose of estrogen. I then switched to TriSprintec and it was also not very good for me. I'm way happier with Nuvaring.

Not Your Senorita
May 25, 2007

Don't you recognize me? It's-a me, Mario!
Nap Ghost

Cuckoo posted:

Everyone reacts to birth control differently, but we're kind of in the same boat. Most birth control pills make me totally insane, too, and I'm on BC for similar reasons as you (also not having babies is cool). I also had forever bleeding issues on Lo Loestrin FE! After trying a few similar pills, I realized I just can't take pills with a low estrogen content (even when I use them as directed and don't stack them) because all of them caused the same problem after awhile even if there were no other side effects. It might not have been as big of a deal to me if I wasn't specifically trying to stop bleeding/stop having a period altogether, though.

If you like the pill otherwise then it might be worth waiting it out! I wasn't able to wait three months with Loestrin since the breakthrough bleeding was like having a non-stop normal period for me, but if you're still on the fence I don't think it would hurt to wait. If you don't want to, there are lots of similar pills out there to try. A lot of pills that claim to lessen or eventually stop your period do tend to cause a lot of breakthrough bleeding, in my experience, so you might run into that again if you try another one. There isn't really a specific pill that works best for endo (at least not as far as I know), it's just whatever works best for you, personally. It's something you could definitely ask your doctor about, though.

What ended up working for me was Seasonale - I tried the low dose version of Seasonique and really liked it aside from the eventual non-stop breakthrough bleeding, so I switched to basically same pill at a normal dose. No more breakthrough bleeding, and I didn't get any weird or unexpected side effects since I didn't switch to an entirely new pill.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Thanks all. That's what I was afraid of...think the estrogen is just too low on this to work.

Although my sample size is limited to anecdotal internet reviews it seems like many Lo-loestrin FE users who had the no period side effect seemed to have it happen very shortly after taking the pill, and for others it took a month. Anyone who had bleeding over a month seemed to have it never go away. :( I've been bleeding since day 1 taking this and it does vary from this awful gross brown discharge that looks like leftover endo to fresh red blood like a regular period. The fresh blood seems to start every morning after taking the pill at 6PM in the evening.

I understand that the first month of ANY birth control is a bit whacky, but besides weight gain a literally neverending period will be intolerable. My fiancee had a vasectomy so I could care less about the birth control aspect- the whole reason for pills in the first place is to reduce or eliminate periods.

I might ask my doctor about Seasonale or whatever the rebranded original Loestrin is (since they took it off the market for some stupid reason)

Mr. Creakle fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 25, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Which Loestrin are you looking for? There's also Loestrin Fe and Loestrin 24 Fe, which are both apparently different from plain old Loestrin. I think there's also different doses because I keep seeing 1/20 and 1.5/30 versions (referring to the levels of progesterone/estrogen).

Anyway, it looks like the generic of Loestrin is called Junel if you have any way of narrowing the dosage and stuff down. I'm not 100% clear on whether or not it's still available since most of what I'm finding is out of date, but it's still listed on the manufacturer's site at least and some online pharmacies seem to be offering it.

And you can always give it a try because every pill is different, but breakthrough bleeding is pretty much the most common side-effect when it comes to skipping periods like you do with things like Seasonale. But the different formulation may work for you so don't let me stop you from trying, it's hard to predict these things. :shrug:

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 26, 2014

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

Which Loestrin are you looking for? There's also Loestrin Fe and Loestrin 24 Fe, which are both apparently different from plain old Loestrin. I think there's also different doses because I keep seeing 1/20 and 1.5/30 versions (referring to the levels of progesterone/estrogen).

Anyway, it looks like the generic of Loestrin is called Junel if you have any way of narrowing the dosage and stuff down. I'm not 100% clear on whether or not it's still available since most of what I'm finding is out of date, but it's still listed on the manufacturer's site at least and some online pharmacies seem to be offering it.

And you can always give it a try because every pill is different, but breakthrough bleeding is pretty much the most common side-effect when it comes to skipping periods like you do with things like Seasonale. But the different formulation may work for you so don't let me stop you from trying, it's hard to predict these things. :shrug:

Thanks for letting me know about the alternate name.

I heard a lot of people seemed happy with Loestrin 24 Fe, but it sounds like that was discontinued. I'll ask the OBGYN though. And yeah, spotting and irregular periods are pretty normal with any hormonal birth control but I have never seen a case of breakthrough bleeding all day, every day, for weeks. Not only is it gross and embarrassing, but I also suffered from anemia/low iron symptoms during the duration of an endo period so a constant flow can't be a good long term solution. Will still give it at least a full month before throwing in the towel (or tampon :haw: ) because it's just so perfect otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AquarianFire
Dec 24, 2006

Unleashing the Fire Within
I took Loestrin FE for many years and loved it. Too bad I can't take estrogen containing BC pills anymore.

I'm currently on Depo for my endometriosis and I am beginning to remember why I hated it the first time I took it over 10 years ago. It took almost a year for it to really kick in and while I don't have any periods anymore (I had horrible spotting for the first 4 months or so), I have NO SEX DRIVE at all. Like zero. I feel dead... and I've gained 10 pounds since my last shot last month. What the heck.

Has anyone here went from Depo to Nexplanon and gotten their sex drive back, or at least up to decent levels? I have no other options other than the mini pill and I really don't want to take pills again. Mirena is out because I have fibroids and my cervix is super sensitive. Plus, insertion - ugh. I've had biopsies done of my uterus and my doc said insertion of that device would be similar... and NO THANK YOU.

My sex drive is perfectly normal (actually ABOVE normal) when I'm off the BC pills but right now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because my one remaining fully grown ovary is full of chocolate cysts and my other ovary (which was removed 10 years ago) is growing back at the bottom of my left side pelvic region (I guess it blew up at one time and when I had surgery for endo about 10 years ago, I guess they missed those ovary cells).

Long story short, I have to be on something right now but the no sex drive is killing me. I don't even want to masturbate and for me, that's horrible. My boyfriend is super understanding but he shouldn't have to be. We are only 8 months into it and I super want this to work out for the long haul but this sex issue is driving me nuts. Any personal experiences with Nexplanon and sex drive would be great.

• Locked thread