Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Klades posted:

didn't have particularly interesting mechanics (jump on things, ride animals, woo)

That describes pretty much every platformer ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
Wow I sighed to myself seeing 2 out of 3 episodes were DKC & didn't want to say anything and appear ungrateful but it's nice to see I'm not the only one who doesn't think it's some amazing title. I played a lot of it back in the day (at mates houses in 50hz admittedly) and the shape & movement of the characters always felt bad to me, never cared for the art or sound and always thought of it primarily as a graphical showpiece and nothing else. I know objectively there's a well designed playable game in there but for someone into fast arcade titles it's pretty boring really.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Is it me or are we not talking about DKC3? That was my favorite game growing up.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy

Light Gun Man posted:

I will say the animals attack animations "charging up" kind of drives me nuts. You see that sort of thing a lot in modern games, where instead of "press button-> do thing" you get "press button -> start multi-second animation building up to doing thing" and it sometimes drives me up the wall and makes me miss sprite based games where no one cared if it looked good! :arghfist::wal:
:eng101: The "charging up" attack animations are actually for the animal companions' special move (A button), not their normal attack (Y button). For some reason Arino uses the special attacks for Rambi and Enguarde (where you hold the button to charge the move and let go to jolt forward) exclusively but most people would likely either use the normal attack or bump into enemies pointy end first to kill enemies. It's a lot quicker that way.

RadicalR posted:

Is it me or are we not talking about DKC3? That was my favorite game growing up.
I love DKC3! I think the character combo makes the game a little too easy though and also a few less Ellie levels would be nice. Overall I prefer DKC2 but DKC3 is still one of my favourites on the SNES. :)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RadicalR posted:

You've got about eighty more episodes before we talk about DKC3.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Ghost-Slug posted:

:eng101: The "charging up" attack animations are actually for the animal companions' special move (A button), not their normal attack (Y button). For some reason Arino uses the special attacks for Rambi and Enguarde (where you hold the button to charge the move and let go to jolt forward) exclusively but most people would likely either use the normal attack or bump into enemies pointy end first to kill enemies. It's a lot quicker that way.

So Arino is spin jumping when he could just be doing a regular jump, basically? Man that drove me up the wall as a kid watching others play Super Mario World. That does improve my opinion a little!

Also since I am part of the negativity here, let me express that my poor opinions on the games in no way applies to the talented people that provided us these episodes and they are all amazing people who do us all an excellent service.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RadicalR posted:

You can talk about DKC2 Part 3.

Direct DL: https://mega.co.nz/#!iZNTgJxC!VKEscagc3wzm5wNm176AabOd31ek4yTc1zfDkbkzuj8
Torrent: http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=600921

Translation: zari-gani
Timing: Random Stranger
Proofing: Hirayuki

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Light Gun Man posted:

So Arino is spin jumping when he could just be doing a regular jump, basically? Man that drove me up the wall as a kid watching others play Super Mario World. That does improve my opinion a little!

Ironically I don't think he ever did a spin jump in SMW. Same goes for using the tongue to grab Baby Mario in Yoshi's Island, but that's Arino.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Fooley posted:

Ironically I don't think he ever did a spin jump in SMW. Same goes for using the tongue to grab Baby Mario in Yoshi's Island, but that's Arino.

He did spin-jump at some point, I'm almost certain, because I asked myself the same question.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

univbee posted:

You can talk about DKC2 Part 3.

Direct DL: https://mega.co.nz/#!iZNTgJxC!VKEscagc3wzm5wNm176AabOd31ek4yTc1zfDkbkzuj8
Torrent: http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=600921

Translation: zari-gani
Timing: Random Stranger
Proofing: Hirayuki

It's like loving Christmas in here.

You guys are awesome.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
4 episodes back to back, with one being one of my all time fav games (Gunstar Heroes). You guys are the best!

Kirbychwan
Mar 19, 2009

Nuclear fusion causes confusion!
Perfect! Thanks for the releases!

Speaking as a professional game and level designer; I've had some pretty lengthy discussions and arguments about DKC/2 with a fellow designer at Nintendo.

I've personally always been a fan of DKC, not because the levels were particularly well-designed (especially compared to say, a masterpiece like Yoshi's Island), but because I can appreciate how stupidly gimmicky and inconsistent the levels can be. The level design is filled with a lot of designer gently caress-yous (i.e the random monster placement right at the end, random rising water, and other elements of level design where you have to die first to know what happens), but the level designers were given so much free reign to use what limited assets they had. Look at Blackout Basement in DKC1. It's a kind of cool, if infuriating mechanic that only showed up a single time. Rising water levels, toxic water levels with a random seal that barfs purifying ice, random level where you gotta be a bouncy snake, the minecart levels. Part of the reason I enjoyed the DKC games was because they do require precise platforming skills, but also because half the time you don't know what the next level will bring or require. The games have a lot of gently caress-yous, but to me it actually kind of adds to the charm.

Kirbychwan fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 23, 2014

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah one of the things I was yelling at my TV while watching part one was something like "it's like every fuckin' level is some lovely challenge level!". They all seem to have some dumb gimmick or layers of previous gimmicks on top of each other. You'd have to appreciate that decision to enjoy the game, I would think. There definitely a lot of spots where you could just feel the designer going "and this goes right here, because gently caress you".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
DKC2 was definitely the best about that sort of thing, and by that I mean they made much better use of the standard platforming stuff and then used that as a base to add additional gimmicks, whereas the first game just feels like a hodgepodge of kinda bad platforming and other junk, and the third game is just packed with gimmicks and other pointless padding to the point where it feels like you're barely doing any regular platforming at all. I don't think any of them are masterpieces and I never thought they looked very good even back in the day but as time goes by I think I've found a little more respect for them, just because it's kinda boring to watch developers slavishly follow the design beats of Mario or some loving endless runner or whatever.

It must have been tough at Retro, trying to work out how to make the games feel like DKC without necessarily playing like DKC, especially when there was no-one from the original teams to explain the process behind designing the original games.

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

Has the first quote ever been sourced? The whole thing just sounds like a conspiracy theory to me, especially given the silly Yoshi's Island part (and even MORE so with the release of the ugly-YI/DKC-mashup Yoshi's New Island), and Miyamoto seemed just as confused.

It's from an old Edge magazine but I couldn't tell you which one.

Kirbychwan
Mar 19, 2009

Nuclear fusion causes confusion!
Yep. For all of its overall jankiness, the SNES DKC games always had occasional nuggets of brilliance.
Retro really did a great job in making the DKC2-style platforming the star of the show while keeping some of the trademark gimmick levels.
(With the added bonus of looking absolutely beautiful)

Kirbychwan fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 23, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I noticed this episode, (around the 20:15 mark) Arino talking about wanting something easy after being irritated at a hard portion is translated as "sugary" instead and doesn't make a lot of sense if you don't know that "amai" means both because there's no other context.

Also, that cheat for maxing out your Kremcoins in level 1 seems even more irritating since it trivializes the whole collection aspect I was complaining about before! I am going to go ahead and assume it was a cheat for QA testers or something.

Thanks for your hard work, SAGCCX.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I interpreted that as more of a "I'm 41 years old and I'm gettin' mad at video games, I should be eating kids' candy."

This was a great series, thanks GCCX team!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've always loved DKC 1 myself, for 2 I thought it was a bit too gimmicky with special stages and strange mechanics. And I couldn't really get into 3 at all. But the original Donkey Kong Country is for me one of the best SNES games I've ever played, it just nails the challenge, graphics and playability for me 101%.

And a lot of thanks for the recent episodes. I'm gonna watch the 3rd part soon, but I'm gonna ask some friends over this weekend and then we're gonna have ourselves a DKC2 Arino-thon.

Jump, hey! Jump, hey! And Suda's unexpected good advice was great.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 23, 2014

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
My friend was gobsmacked at how quickly he beat Animal Antics when it took him 4 hours to deal with K. Rool

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
I always disliked the DKC games. I think they look and sound ugly.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Not everyone likes even the best of games, but I hope you're not calling DKC's music ugly because that's objectively the wrongest opinion. :colbert:

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
I dunno, I've never been a fan of ambient-style music, which seems to be most of the DKC soundtrack.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'm 50-50 on DKC2's soundtrack. Half of it is pretty much unbearable (shipwrecks, coasters, bayous, and castles), and the other half is absolutely great. David Wise is a pretty good composer, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if the part of the soundtrack I don't like at all actually sounds good if it isn't coming out of an SNES soundchip.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDvKwSVuUGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J67nkzoJ_2M

I don't really like the games though.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Kirbychwan posted:

Yep. For all of its overall jankiness, the SNES DKC games always had occasional nuggets of brilliance.
Retro really did a great job in making the DKC2-style platforming the star of the show while keeping some of the trademark gimmick levels.
(With the added bonus of looking absolutely beautiful)
The new gimmicks in DKC Returns were even more maddening some of the stuff in DKC1/2/3 imo. I played through the game on 3DS and the barrel rocket levels + FPS dips/stutters was the closest I've ever came to throwing a console.

It sounds like a lot of the complaints people have about the original DKC trilogy would be alleviated by trying out Returns/Tropical Freeze though. A lot more forgiving while still challenging, pleasant art style, zoomed-out camera and a lot less animal-riding.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Thanks for the new releases! I was flabbergasted by Arino's performance in the third part's end.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Major Helper posted:

Thanks for the new releases! I was flabbergasted by Arino's performance in the third part's end.

That man really wanted the game over by that point.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I partially take back what I said about DK2 not being that hard. The end game stuff is a lot harder than I remember. Of course, that still doesn't explain why Arino was having so much more trouble with the much easier stuff in the earlier parts of the game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vermain posted:

That man really wanted the game over by that point.

I'm sure the crew did, too. I'm not entirely certain there really was a hardware failure at the end of episode two...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ponzicar posted:

I partially take back what I said about DK2 not being that hard. The end game stuff is a lot harder than I remember. Of course, that still doesn't explain why Arino was having so much more trouble with the much easier stuff in the earlier parts of the game.

Two things that Arino has always had difficulty with are precise timing windows and dealing with a large numbers of enemies or obstacles on the screen at once (which is why he's been so historically bad at shooters). DKC2 is also not at all generous when it comes to the number of hits you can take, so there's no cushioning to compensate for Arino's weaknesses in these areas.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ponzicar posted:

I partially take back what I said about DK2 not being that hard. The end game stuff is a lot harder than I remember.

The DKC games have pretty steep difficulty curves. It's one of the more interesting aspects of them, to me. They start out very easy and slowly ramp up to incredibly hard while not changing the core mechanics too much.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

I'm sure the crew did, too. I'm not entirely certain there really was a hardware failure at the end of episode two...

Yeah it bugged me how there was zero explaination about how or what broke exactly. I guess we are to assume the cart died and they fixed it or got a new cart and advanced the game to the same point.

Man, does Kan have a secret lever somewhere set up in advance to break the game?? I wonder what the label on it says if so.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Potsticker posted:

Also, that cheat for maxing out your Kremcoins in level 1 seems even more irritating since it trivializes the whole collection aspect I was complaining about before! I am going to go ahead and assume it was a cheat for QA testers or something.

Thanks for your hard work, SAGCCX.

It was likely intentional, back then cheat codes were A Thing and intentionally left in games to be published in cheat books/magazines at some point later. They were mostly made to make the game easier. There's also one that can be input at the player select screen for extra lives however neither attribute to the 102% completion rate.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
I have to agree with some in that watching him play DKC2 was not that entertaining, and think it's too bad that this one had to be a three parter.

I played 1 and 2 a lot when they first came out, and thought they were pretty fun and definitely revolutionary at the time. Going back now and playing them I can say that the game is pretty average gameplay wise... not bad, but not amazing either. I think one things that keeps the DKC games exciting are the levels where you are in a mine cart, or are shooting out rotating barrels. I think those sections are still fun, and can keep me interested.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

flyboi posted:

It was likely intentional, back then cheat codes were A Thing and intentionally left in games to be published in cheat books/magazines at some point later. They were mostly made to make the game easier. There's also one that can be input at the player select screen for extra lives however neither attribute to the 102% completion rate.

I think it was a tester thing because the steps required to achieve that result are totally random and nonsensical, especially in light of the game having actual cheat codes.

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013
I'm genuinely shocked that i actually enjoyed the entire DKC2 series, completely ready to be bored by part 3, but they managed to sell it pretty well. Though i have to agree, it looked like the staff never wants to go near Donkey Kong Country ever again.

Also, i just recently did a video on Tokimeki Memorial, and of course i had to mention GCCX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b_v236aabE

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

gunstarheroes posted:

I'm genuinely shocked that i actually enjoyed the entire DKC2 series, completely ready to be bored by part 3, but they managed to sell it pretty well. Though i have to agree, it looked like the staff never wants to go near Donkey Kong Country ever again.

Also, i just recently did a video on Tokimeki Memorial, and of course i had to mention GCCX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b_v236aabE

:stare: I wish I had hair like that.

Joking aside, subscribed.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Cool video, but you have grossly misspelled the puzzle game's title.

Glad I could help!

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Weird, in the DKC2 part 3 arcade trip he plays Zero Team, a sorta obscure Seibu beat-em-up. Recently in the MAME scene they've finally started to crack the copy protection on certain Seibu games making them fully playable, like.... Zero Team. The bigger headlines is that Raiden II and Raiden DX finally became fully playable too, which is big news considering that Raiden 1 was emulated around 13 or 14 years ago, and in all this time they've never been able to crack the weird protection on II or DX. Even the Raiden Fighters series, which runs on different hardware, became playable in emulators nearly a decade ago.

Just thought it was a weird coincidence seeing Zero Team in the video right after reading about it becoming playable in emulators. (it's an ok beat-em-up, not overly special but not a bad game. That female character's outfit tho...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Seems like the Zero Team they had in that shop had some bad ROMs or something, most of the sprites seemed to be slightly corrupt judging from the horizonal lines appearing all over them.