Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

GirlCalledBob posted:

Everyone's so betrayed by the lack of candy, yet the symbol for the island is clearly a pair of headphones and DJ Candy was in Agents so I don't know what people were expecting.

Some of us haven't played Agents so we were expecting candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dr. Buttass posted:

Some of us haven't played Agents so we were expecting candy.

Go read the Agents LP, what the gently caress is wrong with you?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
To be honest, I just wanted to avoid hippie elves as long as possible.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 47: Break It Down: Level Up!

We need wood to make Candy's furniture, but we also need fish. Sam has learned not to ask.

Turns out we can plant those Star Essences that we got on Rocket Reef. I think a star tree or two is just what this music festival needs! Now, to finish this up.

: Hey, Sam! Did you finish a Scroll?

: Alright! Let's see what we get!

dead fish and trees :qq:

We get: a Tree Branch Bed, Chair, Sofa, Coffee Table, and Lounger. Also a Roundstump Dining Table, a Squarestump End Table, and some Interior Au Natural Paints. ... I guess we just killed the fish because to hell with fish.

Fun, Tasty, and Cute, no surprise th--wait a drat minute, we made all this wooden furniture and you don't even want Nature?

Bah. Anyway, since this is just supposed to be a place for Candy to relax, Sam is not going to bother to put in a full kitchen.

A fridge full of snacks will do. (Nice form, Buddy.)

A bed might come in handy.

And a stereo and piano, since she likes music. Also a bunch of TVs, because... TV!

Cute sunflowers everywhere for ambiance.

His job done, Sam puts the wand away in order to play a little ditty. Everyone drops whatever they're doing to rush over and sway along. Told you this was a Sims game.

Her job completed--by Sam--Sapphire heads outside...

... and Sam knows what that means!

He and his buddies race outside as fast as they can.

: Here, Guillermo! Over here, boy!

: Ooh, I hope Guillermo's bringing more maps!

Sam is not startled this time. Instead, he waves when everyone else does.

q: what are the odds that this news is about cupcakes

a: pretty good

: 'Oh, also I'm giving you some more rewards and new maps!'

: Relax, Buddy. I don't freak out EVERY time I see a map.

Buddy hands Lyndsay the scroll of new maps!

The clouds clear away from an island named... Spookane. :allears:

And then from one named Cutopia!

: Sam, as soon as we're done here, let's go explore!

Sam nods, and Guillermo takes wing, his job completed!

King Roland also sent us a new wandolier outfit, and, finally, the Building Blocks Scroll, which is... interesting. However, we'll have to return to a bunch of places to finish it, so I'll talk about it some other time.

Anyway, it looks like Sapphire's all set. I guess we can go help Zack now. Sigh.

: Thanks for helping me get this show online. I'm, like, Candy's biggest fan--wouldn't want to disappoint her.

: I don't get it... are you a fan or are you a roadie?

: I'm both, but I prefer the term 'Show Producer.' I'm also president of the official DJ Candy Fan Club!

: So how can we help?

: We have the DJ setup on stage, but there's no power! Think you guys could hook it up? Dude, without power the turntables can't, you know... turn.

... this does not look difficult.

Nope. Not difficult.

Hell yeah! Fire it up!

... pathing!

Taking a step away from the DJ booth allows Sam to become DJ Sam! Look at him. He's so happy. Let's let him have this for a bit. :unsmith:

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: MORE POWER!!

---

Video: DJ Sam

Sam gets this party started in a shower of Musical Notes and Happy Essences!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Air is lava! posted:

To be honest, I just wanted to avoid hippie elves as long as possible.

I think you'll find that at least half the elves in this game are surprisingly metal. :colbert:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Oh god. I lost it at Spookane (I live in the city it's name is a parody of).

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Picayune posted:

I think you'll find that at least half the elves in this game are surprisingly metal. :colbert:

I'm not sure what to anticipate after reading this.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I completely forgot about Spookane. I bet I laughed out loud when I got to that.

Can we never see the elves? :allears:

E: By elves I mean Cutopia.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Jeeze, that DJ action is just too adorable. By the end of this are we just gonna do the whole concert FOR her?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

You know:

This image is pretty much the sims in a nutshell.

I kind of wish these games had more love, I would have loved to see the series continue.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Rather Watch Them posted:

Can we never see the elves? :allears:

E: By elves I mean Cutopia.

Now, now, it is Sam's duty to help all of King Roland's subjects, even elves and the haplessly adorable.

Plus Cutopia has a p. great minigame event and the Forest of the Elves has... uh, things. Besides elves.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Knowing our luck Cutopia is derived not from "cute" but from "cut open".

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

SelenicMartian posted:

Knowing our luck Cutopia is derived not from "cute" but from "cut open".

It's actually a murder mistery where someone was stabbed in the heart.
Also Beebee will be there.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Psion posted:

I'm not sure what to anticipate after reading this.

Something awesome.

Forest of the Elves is one of my favourite islands for sheer what the gently caress value. I look forward to seeing what the thread thinks of that place.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I bet it's actually the Forest of the Elvis Impersonators.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
What, do you guys not remember Leaf?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

alcharagia posted:

What, do you guys not remember Leaf?

(Shh! Try to keep the surprise!)

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 48: Candypalooza Power & Light

Once Sam has finished his stint as a DJ, he heads down to where Zack is waiting.

Being a conscientious producer, Zack goes to try out the equipment for himself. Once he's satisfied that everything is in proper working order:

: Alright, dude, let's get back to work. Those dance floors need power too! Can't dance the breaks without some electron flow!

The dance floors are down there on the lower level. The little yellow circles on the edges are electrical hookups; we can string things like dance floors (and speakers, hint hint) in sequence, meaning that we only have to run a wire to one of them to power them both.

Sam splices into the DJ-booth line.

Leading the cable downhill, Sam plugs the dance floors in.

Now they put on colorful light shows! Sam has to test this out. Once he finishes self-consciously shaking his booty:

: Hey, way to go! The fans are really going to dig those.

He checks that off on his little clipboard.

: Ok, now, we've got all the speakers here, but we need them powered and positioned for maximum valume!

Oh, boy, do we ever.

There are six speakers up here on stage.

There are also six speakers down here on the dance floor. All of these things need power.

First, the stage. Sam splices into the DJ-booth line again.

(q. will he ever use that other available plug)

(a. no)

He then piles up the six speakers and starts wiring them in. Speakers that are side by side take power from each other; the speakers on top need to be wired in separately.

There.

For the floor speakers, Sam puts two clumps of two in the back and one speaker to either side. Surround sound!

We'll just put in a line from the dance floor to...

eheh heh heh

someone stop him

he's gone mad with power :haw:

ahem

After that little display, Sam calms down and wires up the rest of the speakers normally.

hee hee hee

Zack looks everything over, then checks it off on his clipboard. I guess it's okay with him!

: Ok, we've got all the sound stuff figured out, but now we need the set all set up. We need decoration!

Of course you do.

Apparently this is going to be a very natural rave.

Sam hides the electrics behind a nice screen of palm trees.

Jardinieres! For reasons!

And some flowerbeds. These both came from the Garden Scroll we completed ages ago.

Maybe people will want to take a break from dancing to eat something?

We'll just... hide some cereal boxes back here where no one can see them, in case Candy gets hungry in the middle of her set. Perfect.

And we'll repot everything in bamboo, for... I don't know, bambooity. Hey, Zack, how's that?

: Dude, you've got the dance pit set up like whoa! Thanks, Sam!

We gather in the pit. Are we good to go?

Zack and Sapphire, doin' their things.

: That's it, Saph! Thanks to our friends here, we got every single item on the list!

Sapphire cheers.

: Omigosh, that is so awesome! I wasn't totally sure if we could pull it all off and then WE DID!!!

: Omigosh, it's HER!!!

It's who now?

: Ladies and gentlemen...

: ... The one, the only...

DJ Candy busts a move.

: WOW! What a great entrance!

We all cheer and clap.

Everybody dance!

Hells yeah.

: Ha! Ha! This is fun!

:allears:

---

Next time on MySims Kingdom: Let's get this party started! ... what do you mean, we can't get this party started?

---

Video: Shake It, Sam

Want to watch Sam dance? Me neither. Yikes.

Video: Enter DJ Candy

Features much better dancing! Also, much worse dancing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YuUNlITkOg

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I think it was this point in the game where I got bored with making things look pretty and just spammed bushes to meet the criteria then deleted them so I didn't waste any mana. Laziness!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

My thread has its first JoJo reference! I've got it made now. :allears:

Roro posted:

I think it was this point in the game where I got bored with making things look pretty and just spammed bushes to meet the criteria then deleted them so I didn't waste any mana. Laziness!

Yeeeeah. When I'm not playing for an audience, I do exactly that. I have spammed many a tall bush and giant candy cane in my time. (... spoilers??)

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Roro posted:

Wait, so as long as you meet the criteria, you can delete the decorations afterwards and leave the area looking sparse and relatively empty?

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Daigerus posted:

Wait, so as long as you meet the criteria, you can delete the decorations afterwards and leave the area looking sparse and relatively empty?

Yup! Once you complete the quest and get your reward, you can rip everything back out to cash it in and no one cares (although it's best to leave a door standing just in case your next quest wants to be inside the building).

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I usually waited until the end of a land, then swept through deleting stacks of bushes and barrels. World's tidiest hurricane.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, that was fun. Amazing wiring job from Sam, too.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ep. 49: Too Crabby To Dance

Once Buddy's dance is mercifully over, Candy and her entourage come over to join us.

: It's all thanks to Sam and his friends!

: Oh, wow! You put all this together, Sam?! Nice job, dude, nice job! I wanna make sure you guys are front and center for my concert tonight!

We're all so stoked.

: Cool.

Candy turns to Zack.

: Yo, Z! Can you and Saph make final preps while I go check out my new digs?

: You got it, Candy!

: Omigosh, totally yes!

: Sweet! Sam, let's swing by my house and make sure it's ready for the concert.

Sam nods, and Candy heads up the steps to her 'digs'.

: Oh, this is soooooo chill. Sam, your work is excellent. I might have to ask you to tour with me!

Crab statuette? I put butterfly sculptures all over the roof, but--

--oh.

Lyndsay pulls out a rolled-up Scroll and starts frantically bashing away.

: They just came out of nowhere!

From off-screen:

: Help!!

: Look out look out look out!!!

The crabs chase Zack and Sapphire off.

: Schedule conflict. Bummer.

: We'll have to herd these crabs out of here before they pinch up all the equipment!

: Does anyone here have herding experience?

Sam will never escape his past.

: Just get them to the shores, kay?

: Aaaaaaack! Sam, do something!

: There's no way I'm going back out there with all those crazy crabs around. Nope, no way.

Fortunately, Sam can Hyaa! crabs just like cows. Crabs will scuttle directly away from us; all we have to do is chase them onto a sandy beach (of which there are three) and get close enough to scare them into digging themselves under.

There are only five crabs, and they all start out pretty close to beaches. It's over almost before it begins.

: Your herding skills are seriously wicked! Dude, we could have totally used you on the last island we set up... those killer frogs were insane!

: Whew! Thanks for chasing those crabs away.

I definitely recommend the video version of this scene, which you can find at the end of this update.

Candy gets on stage and puts on the tunes. Let's dance!

Lyndsay dances for a while, then laughs and hustles out of the way.

Sam's turn!

sam

please stop thrusting your tiny pelvis, it's disturbing

After a vogue-ish pose, Sam runs over to join Lyndsay on the other dance floor, and...

Uh oh.

Buddy starts his usual dance routine. One by one the other dancers slow to an unimpressed stop.

Buddy realizes that the cheering behind him has stopped. But he's a good sport!

Break it down, Buddy!

Yeah. Straight up.

Buddy bounds back to his feet and joins the rest of us.

: I'm gonna take a little break and hit the dance floor. Sam, get yourself up here and spin for us!

Sam complies as his friends cheer.

And everybody dances!

Yeah. Awright. I think we're done here.

Night falls on Candypalooza, but the party parties on! The residents of this island sleep during the day so that they can party all night. As you do.

Where should Sam and his friends go next? The Forest of the Elves, Spookane, or Cutopia?

---

Video: Crabs Ahoy

The cutscene takes longer than the actual running of the crabs.

Video: Dance Party

Recommended! MySims have many dances at their disposal; some of them are terrible.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's almost October, which means that it's time to go down to Spookane. Gotta get there before the big Halloween crowds!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Haifisch is right! Which is why we should go to the spookiest place in the world: A Forest Full of (augh) Elves!

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Elves elves elves because after the deceptive disappointment of not-candy palooza we need something that is way better than you would assume at first glance.

Picayune posted:

: Does anyone here have herding experience?

This game has some pretty great comedic moments. :allears:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Spookane sounds like a hoot.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Spooky Spookane!

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
Spooks for Oct.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Let's get our wand all over those drat Elves.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Elves. This game is so :3:.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
Elves! I've been rereading Agents and I managed to remember a particular elf that gives me high hopes for this place.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

IAmTheRad posted:

Spookane sounds like a hoot.

Owl put in my vote for this one too

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
I say we go to the elfs first, so we can save spookane for when it's closer to halloween time proper!

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
Lets go see the elves!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

ousire posted:

I say we go to the elfs first, so we can save spookane for when it's closer to halloween time proper!

Ageed. Elfland vote from me.

• Locked thread