Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Space opera with no Newtonian physics and FTL travel that ignores time-dilation? It's fine, it's just a light-hearted rom--whoah, the dinosaur mounts have loving scales instead of feathers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Do we even know if Dinosaur Lords takes place on earth? I doubt it's historical fantasy.

Levitate posted:

Malazan has giant space velociraptors with swords for hands, but you already think that series is dumb
Things like that actually do make me want to try picking it up again. I just wish Erikson wouldn't hide that awesomeness beneath attempts at lit wankery.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Neuromancer by William Gibson is $1.99 on Kindle today--definitely worth a read if you haven't done so. Also, not Sci-fi and I haven't read this one, but I see it posted a lot: The Imago Sequence by Laird Barron is also $1.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Neuromancer-William-Gibson-ebook/dp/B000O76ON6
http://www.amazon.com/The-Imago-Sequence-Laird-Barron-ebook/dp/B0070YQT4A

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

mallamp posted:

Do we even know if Dinosaur Lords takes place on earth? I doubt it's historical fantasy.

It probably takes place on planet Pluto.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

mallamp posted:

Things like that actually do make me want to try picking it up again. I just wish Erikson wouldn't hide that awesomeness beneath attempts at lit wankery.

I just found that there's usually enough action in the first bunch of books that you can just ignore the poo poo you don't understand and enjoy the set pieces. Once you get far enough in some stuff starts coming together and the stuff that doesn't, don't worry about. But yeah, he likes to kind of hide stuff or show it later in some ways. If you read the whole series and then go back to the beginning and read it again you can see a lot of poo poo you missed the first time because you didn't realize it was relevant.

But different people like different stuff

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Going to crosspost this here since folks that read this thread are more likely than the average SAMart browser to have what I want.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3667219

Basically I'm looking to get a bunch of the old DAW paperbacks, specifically ones with a yellow spine.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Copy of Starfish and Maelstrom arrived. Goddamnit, the blurb on Maelstrom should have spoiler warnings...

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Are there any goon scifi book club things? I mean besides this thread. Something where chapters are set each week and discussed? I stuck with it through the first few books back when we read Wheel of Time and enjoyed it quite a bit and would like to do that again. Looked the TBB but didn't find one. If not, anybody feel like doing that?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Are there any goon scifi book club things? I mean besides this thread. Something where chapters are set each week and discussed? I stuck with it through the first few books back when we read Wheel of Time and enjoyed it quite a bit and would like to do that again. Looked the TBB but didn't find one. If not, anybody feel like doing that?

We have the Book of the Month and right now someone's running a mystery read-along but there's no current let's read for SF or F. I am going to make Roger Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October next month's book of the month.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, this series might turn out to be poo poo, but this cover is amazing:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/09/dinosaur-lords-cover-reveal
"Okay, I need you to convey for me the movement, blood, and dirt of a jousting match - on velociraptors. You have until Tuesday before we go with the CGI bikini babe."

The only way that cover could get better is if the guy on the dino was a Templar, and the premise was, "what if the murder of Jesus hadn't caused the extinction of dinosaurs - man's truest friend and ally since the first days in the garden of eden?"

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 26, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

We have the Book of the Month and right now someone's running a mystery read-along but there's no current let's read for SF or F. I am going to make Roger Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October next month's book of the month.

That sounds interesting, might get in on that. I'd be down for a let's read of some good SF.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Ok...

Ok...

... get a hold of yourself.

Breathe, damnit.

quote:

The “Game of Thrones” co-executive producer is teaming with Spike TV to develop the sci-fi series “Red Mars,” an adaptation of Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy novels.

http://www.thewrap.com/game-of-thrones-producer-vince-gerardis-teams-with-spike-for-red-mars-sci-fi-series/

Also, I want those jackets.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Figured it would be better to ask in here..

I am looking for sci-fi books that similar to my favorites:

1. The Fifth Head Of Cerberus - Gene Wolfe
2. Neuromancer - William Gibson
3. The Forever War - Joe Haldeman
4. Ship Of Fools - Richard Paul Russo
5. Spin - Robert Charles Wilson

I am aware that numbers 2, 4 and 5 have sequels, but I have heard that they are nowhere near as good as the ones I listed which is why I've stayed away.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So I finally got around to Blindsight by Watts. Great read and I understand why it has been discussed a lot here.
Talk about bombarding you with interesting ideas, although the story line is somewhat similar to Revelation Space or Diamond Dogs by Reynolds.
Also, gently caress vampires, that was probably the most uninteresting part of the story.

How are his other books? I got Starfish on my Kindle along with Blindsight.

genghis.khan posted:

The sequels are still very good and I would recommend them. The anthology collection Johnny Mnemonic is also good.
Similar stuff would be Neal Stephenson Snow Crash and for cyber punk the Takeshi Kovacs series, Market Forces and Black Man(Thirteen in US) by Richard Morgan.

genghis.khan posted:

Old Mans War by Scalzi. Starship Troopers by Heinlein as well. Depends on what you liked in The Forever War.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

genghis.khan posted:

I am aware that numbers 2, 4 and 5 have sequels, but I have heard that they are nowhere near as good as the ones I listed which is why I've stayed away.

Ship of Fools has a sequel? :stare:

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

thehomemaster posted:

Ok...

Ok...

... get a hold of yourself.

Breathe, damnit.

http://www.thewrap.com/game-of-thrones-producer-vince-gerardis-teams-with-spike-for-red-mars-sci-fi-series/

Also, I want those jackets.

No one would be happier to be proven wrong, but I think this combo of producer and network will end up twisting the source material beyond recognition.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Shitshow posted:

No one would be happier to be proven wrong, but I think this combo of producer and network will end up twisting the source material beyond recognition.

i'm expecting something less like red mars and more like the gangstas in space ending from saints' row III

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I don't if it's close to the source material as long as it's well-done scifi on TV

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Ship of Fools has a sequel? :stare:

Not yet. The author has said he's working on it, though.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Cardiac posted:

How are his other books? I got Starfish on my Kindle along with Blindsight.

Starfish is pretty interesting and, as you'd expect, pretty grim. It's worth reading.

I would not immediately jump into the sequel to Blindsight. It has some interesting elements, but retreads a lot of ground, and I felt it was the inferior novel. It'd be a little samey coming right off Blindsight. Save it for when you're jonesing for something similar to Blindsight but don't want to reread it.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Neurosis posted:

Not yet. The author has said he's working on it, though.

Sweet. Finished Ship of Fools the other week and thought it owned pretty hard.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

genghis.khan posted:

This is currently being developed into a SyFy movie/series.

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

genghis.khan posted:

Have you read Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe yet? You might also like Embassytown by China Mieville, it's his most sci-fi novel.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I don't mind all of those things because they're not trying to change dinosaurs.

those loving idiot scientists with their analysis and fossils, they're just trying to ruin dinosaurs

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

those loving idiot scientists with their analysis and fossils, they're just trying to ruin dinosaurs

*takes two thumbs, points to "PLUTO IS STILL A PLANET TO ME" shirt*

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It will always be a planet in my heart. :unsmith:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Some astronomical whatsits still officially consider it a planet.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Chairchucker posted:

Some astronomical whatsits still officially consider it a planet.

Only the dumb ones.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Piell posted:

Only the dumb ones.

Why? The definition of planets is made up by humans. A different group of humans can choose to use an entirely different definition if they want.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chairchucker posted:

Why? The definition of planets is made up by humans. A different group of humans can choose to use an entirely different definition if they want.

Yeah and they'd be dumb to do so if the reason for the new definition is that it supports objectively better taxonomy now that we know about Kuiper belt objects and exoplanets.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Chairchucker posted:

There is no possible definition of "planet" that includes only the eight planets plus Pluto other than "these are the ones that we called planets in the olden days."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Honestly, when you get right down to it, that reason sounds completely sufficient to me. There's nothing wrong with being a little inaccurate for sentimental reasons.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Honestly, when you get right down to it, that reason sounds completely sufficient to me. There's nothing wrong with being a little inaccurate for sentimental reasons.

Haha, science usually discourages being inaccurate for sentimental reasons!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Ok, this series might turn out to be poo poo, but this cover is amazing:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/09/dinosaur-lords-cover-reveal

I'm day one reading this book, I don't care that the writer is a libertarian poo poo; this is just straight up an idea I was already working on. I'm such a loving moron for dinosaurs.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RVProfootballer posted:

Haha, science usually discourages being inaccurate for sentimental reasons!

Well, "planet" is kindof inherently vague as a scientific term anyway. Almost any definition of "planet" that isn't just the ancient greek for "wandering star" is somewhat arbitrarily vague. It's hard to not be vague and still include everything from Mercury to Jupiter.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I don't mind all of those things because they're not trying to change dinosaurs.

Sorry about your faith-based Natural History.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So are the Riverworld books worth reading? I've skimmed over the wiki page and I really like the setting idea.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Nckdictator posted:

So are the Riverworld books worth reading? I've skimmed over the wiki page and I really like the setting idea.

I read the first and found it interesting, but the second book was a real chore and didn't seem to continue actually exploring the unique environment or even the theme. Your mileage may vary!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Less Fat Luke posted:

I read the first and found it interesting, but the second book was a real chore and didn't seem to continue actually exploring the unique environment or even the theme. Your mileage may vary!

My experience is the same, I read the first one with relish but the second one was too much work to get through. I have all the books so I'll give #3 a shot some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I read the Riverworld series when I was in high school. Awesome premise, but the latter books start getting weird. I'd read until your done and not really worry about leaving it unfinished.

E: I finished Leviathan Wakes a few days ago and just started Caliban's War. The first good, enough for me to continue, but Caliban's War has started off awesome. The parts with Holden and crew are like Firefly in our solar system.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 28, 2014