Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Spacedad posted:

(Animated version of the puppet: )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtPtUezpKEs

From the maker of these familiar shorts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWLD_dZUKvk

I feel a little happier about the world knowing there's a puppet of Peter Capaldi in it.

This is wonderful. The BBC should commission these people for the next CiN special or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Spacedad posted:

(Animated version of the puppet: )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtPtUezpKEs

From the maker of these familiar shorts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWLD_dZUKvk

I feel a little happier about the world knowing there's a puppet of Peter Capaldi in it.

This reminds me of the best episode of Angel where Angel got turned into a puppet by a bunch of evil puppet demons working on a children's show.

I would not object to Doctor Who ripping off of that.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

howe_sam posted:

When I saw the first promotional images of Delphox i immediately thought of Kovarian. The others, not really.

When Ms Delphox showed up I felt this real nagging sensation that I should know who this was, took a good few minutes before I realised she was actually a new character.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Jsor posted:

This reminds me of the best episode of Angel where Angel got turned into a puppet by a bunch of evil puppet demons working on a children's show.

The way you can tell an amazing actor from one that is just phoning it in is the quality of their performance when having to deliver the lines "Maybe its some type of puppet cancer." "I DO NOT HAVE PUPPET CANCER!".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Seeing the 'call me' gesture at the end of this episode to Sy, I have to say I wouldn't mind if he came back at some point. He's got some interesting backstory hooks, too.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jsor posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solitaire_%28audio_drama%29

Boogaleeboo posted:

The way you can tell an amazing actor from one that is just phoning it in is the quality of their performance when having to deliver the lines "Maybe its some type of puppet cancer." "I DO NOT HAVE PUPPET CANCER!".

Since I haven't seen that episode, I'm imagining that being read by David Warner. Both parts.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Hmm... but how will I relate to the puppetness if I can't see the Doctor being adorable?

quote:

Since I haven't seen that episode, I'm imagining that being read by David Warner. Both parts.

That scene, like the rest of the episode, is pretty great. (Warning: lovely off-screen cam recording).

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm aware that this is stirring up poo poo, but as a very casual viewer of Doctor Who I've always thought that it's head and shoulders above most other media in its treatment of female characters. Every episode so far of the Capaldi series has featured female characters (of a variety of ages, ethnicities and cultural backgrounds) with agency who generally have a large part to play in resolving the A-plot of the episode.

I know next to nothing about Moffat behind the scenes but what I see on screen is refreshingly feminist for primetime television.

I mean, I can't deny that there's similarities in the women in Doctor Who, but those similarities are their intelligence, forthrightness and that they're motivated by their own beliefs.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 25, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Your link does not in any support your argument and in fact indicates that it is an important part of almost any literary analysis, though, but you acknowledge that things do not have to be on a 1:1 basis.

And yes, the show is not sexist by virtue of Moffat being a sexist. There are problems with the way that RTD writes women, despite the fact that he very obviously goes out of his way to attempt a progressive agenda in his writing and showrunning. It is, however, a factor in interpreting Moffat's work and in failing to give him good will when things are iffy. It doesn't help that his writing is very patterned; the same minor offenses over and over start to grate.

I don't mind Mr. Flunchy's perspective, for example. It's disagreement but allows for discussion. I just don't like the idea that because I am factoring in Moffat's previous work and because I find some problems with his current work, I must be a raving lunatic who hates him because of thread consensus. In fact, most of the issues I have with the current run are minor, but I end up having to discuss them for pages and pages because even suggesting that he has issues at all produces a bunch "For God's sake :rolleyes:" comments like this:

ProfessorLoomis posted:

No, I'm starting to think alot of you guys are socially inept shuttins.. imagine that..

Pizdec posted:

Welcome to the Doctor Who thread!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
FWIW, I somewhat agree with Mr. Flunchy. I mean, I've seen some of the poo poo Moffat says about women. Even in official BBC aired interviews. That's not okay. But as far as the show goes, I'm often pleasantly surprised by the female companions, at least. Sure on a meta-level Moffat sees Clara as some controlling bossy woman who needs to learn to not be so controlling, but so far in this season she's basically turning out like I imagine a female Doctor would. I think both Clara and Amy are a fair bit better than both Martha and Rose, and his RTD episodes treat female characters pretty well in almost all cases I can think of.

Does he, as a writer of Who, have his problems? Oh yeah, and his repetitions grate. And I'm on record as being one of the people butthurt over the insults about Clara's appearance. But on average? I feel like Doctor Who has been at least fairly good to women since Series 4 or so. There are some questionable statistics (I think Doctor What once posted an infographics showing total speaking time and Bechdel test passage plummeted under Moffat), but other than his odd stuttering in the "women in places of authority" department, I've found his female characters rather compelling and well-written.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jsor posted:

FWIW, I somewhat agree with Mr. Flunchy. I mean, I've seen some of the poo poo Moffat says about women. Even in official BBC aired interviews. That's not okay. But as far as the show goes, I'm often pleasantly surprised by the female companions, at least. Sure on a meta-level Moffat sees Clara as some controlling bossy woman who needs to learn to not be so controlling, but so far in this season she's basically turning out like I imagine a female Doctor would. I think both Clara and Amy are a fair bit better than both Martha and Rose, and his RTD episodes treat female characters pretty well in almost all cases I can think of.

Does he, as a writer of Who, have his problems? Oh yeah, and his repetitions grate. And I'm on record as being one of the people butthurt over the insults about Clara's appearance. But on average? I feel like Doctor Who has been at least fairly good to women since Series 4 or so. There are some questionable statistics (I think Doctor What once posted an infographics showing total speaking time and Bechdel test passage plummeted under Moffat), but other than his odd stuttering in the "women in places of authority" department, I've found his female characters rather compelling and well-written.

I've warmed up to Moffat a bit over this season, because overall it feels like someone who's aware of his problems and trying really hard to overcome them. It isn't perfect, and you can still see some of his problems glistening through the cracks, but it feels like he's aware of them and consciously trying to either avoid them or improve on them.

Yeah, you can still see his issues with writing women coming through. But Clara has improved exceptionally, and gratuitous lesbians aside all the other female supporting cast has been pretty strong too. His overplots have had problems, but the current Missy/Promised Land one has been very good about being off to the side and consistent, so perhaps the worst thing you can say about it is that it exists. Hell, the one that looked like the most Moffat episode of the season, Listen, turned out to be a very well-executed subversion of our expectations.

I might just be pulling all this out of my rear end, but before the season aired there was a quote from Moffat about not letting yourself get repetitive, and the entire season so far feels like an earnest effort to not fall into his own traps.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think the actual companions have been better, by and large. Amy was great and I like the current Clara (I think the Impossible Girl stuff made it difficult for her to have a character for awhile, but now that she's a teacher, it actually works). None of them are Donna, of course.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That Shada novelization is pretty good. Readable, at the very least.

You may now continue with your arguments.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

The persistent idea that there is any kind of consensus about what people in this thread think/feel about stuff in Doctor Who never fails to confuse me.

No it doesn't! You're perfectly clear on it! :mad:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Noxville posted:

When Ms Delphox showed up I felt this real nagging sensation that I should know who this was, took a good few minutes before I realised she was actually a new character.

We felt the same way watching the episode, but that is because we've been ploughing through Ashes to Ashes for the past couple of weeks (I never pay attention to casting news, so hadn't realised who the guest star was).

We're currently revisiting I, Claudius, which is wall-to-wall 60s and early 70s era Doctor Who actors; if you want to see Kevin Stoney in a much different role than :smug:Packer!, check out episode 2 of Claudius wherein he plays Tiberius's soothsayer.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cleretic posted:

I might just be pulling all this out of my rear end, but before the season aired there was a quote from Moffat about not letting yourself get repetitive, and the entire season so far feels like an earnest effort to not fall into his own traps.

It feels like an earnest effort not to fall into it but oh no! He's tumbled in even deeper! How could this happen!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bicyclops posted:

There were times when the BLOCKBUSTER MOVIE... IN 45 MINUTES!! thing worked and was really fun

Disagree, the general level of quality has really taken a tumble recently. Have there been ok episodes to watch in the last few years? Yep. Would I care if you told me I would never watch any of them ever again? Not in the slightest.

Let's not forgot that Pizdec was loudly arguing that clocks and fob watches were a huge thing in the original run of Doctor Who based on an offhand comment on the Doctor Who Wiki, not having seen any himself. Not a person who argues in good faith.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

E: Moffat is terrible at writing women characters, to the point that I can't imagine anyone is seriously defending him over it these days. The guy is a rabid sexist, bordering on the misogynistic. Yes, he wrote "Blink", but that is basically the exception that proves the rule.

Blink is the example one of my friends uses for how Moffat doesn't write women characters well. All the characterisation in that episode is straight out of a sitcom.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Oh god. So I've been on a Bond kick lately and I was watching Diamonds Are Forever. Sean Connery sneaks into a secret lab, pretends to be a tech, and some scientist villain shoos him out.

Upon hearing the man's voice for a while, I asked myself "hey is that the crazy professor who wanted to blow up the world in The Underwater Menace?". Google has informed me that it indeed was Joseph Furst.

I'm through the looking glass here.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

I'm kind of hoping the Doctor is responsible for whatever is happening in the school in Saturday's episode, he just let something loose so he could mess with Clara.

Bonus points if he makes up his original reason for being there only for something actually dangerous to show up.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The trailer looks like too much wacky double life romance comedy for me but hopefully it won't be

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I recently rewatched snowmen and it was actually a really fun episode to rewatch. It really gave a wonderful sense of magic and fairytaleness to the doctor that was really charming

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH

Pizdec posted:

"YOU KNOW what people take issue with there" was essentialy my argument why more black people as villains would be slippery. I wouldn't mind personally.

The fact that there's probably a rationale why skin colour isn't used as a distinguishing feature for villains instead of other features (like eyepatches :ssh:).

...Yeah?

I wanted to do just a list of villains, but then, as you've noticed, the sample size would be pretty loving small because RTD is sexist probably. So I cheated and included positive characters since that specific point (formal wear evokes authority and black is fashionable, so the pattern repeats) applies similarly to heroes and villains. Sorry if that confused which point I was trying to make.

UNIT Lady is a borderline example, she's not really a villain but she is an antagonistic force in the episode, I figure if Tasha is fair game then so is UNIT Lady.

Okay. But I'm not discussing whether Moffat is sexist, I'm discussing whether the show Doctor Who which he has significant (but not total) control over is sexist. The show which we watch is the combined outcome of the showrunner's vision, his writers, co-writers, directors and the actors they direct, technical limitations, etc. The aspects of the show people are citing as evidence of sexism did not change from when the show was supposedly non-sexist, meaning now the show is 1000% more sexist yet at the same time somehow completely indistinguishable (in these particular aspects), which is just :psyduck:. In fact this means that people would suddenly find the show devoid of sexism if Moffat started writing under a pseudonym (though realistically, the jig would be up the moment the first timeloop appeared).

Now if say Moffat had an obvious Manic Pixie Dream Girl fetish (which he has), and suddenly a disproportionate amount of significant Manic Pixie Dream Girl characters started to appear in the show (which they did), and which didn't gel with the character writing of the show up to that point (they don't), and Moffat made some comments about his Manic Pixie Dream Girl fetish (which I imagine he did at some point), then bringing them into the discussion would have merit. Until the Doctor starts calling Clara a slut and every female character starts acting disturbingly needy, I don't see the point in discussing theoretical sexism in the show based on whatever idiocy Moffat is spouting that particular week.

tl;dr https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_fallacy

Seriously, save your breath. You're going up against a viscous hive-mind in this thread. They've formed a little clique in here, and dissenting opinions are met with holier than thou responses. For the record, I'm not so much a Moffat defender these days. That really doesn't account for why I come in here and snipe a little insult every now and then. Honestly, there's so much loving fake altruism and hot air in this thread, it makes me not even wanna be a Doctor Who fan. I keep coming back here though, every couple of days, to see if anyone had anything loving interesting or useful to say about the episode, and all i ever see is morons whining about literally every little loving thing. Even some of you who started pretty cool a year or two ago, now have just as big a stick up your asses as everyone else. It's like you guys hobby is loving finding anything that could be remotely construed as immoral/racist, then acting like white loving knights toward anyone who says otherwise. gently caress it, I typed this out, I'm posting it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

But the overall opinion of this season has been really positive in the thread? :iiam:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I honestly don't know how you could read the reactions to the last four episodes and think that there was any sort of hivemind, unless people not arguing back and forth forever constitutes some sort of agreement? From what I see, when people disagree about most things there's a lot more just accepting a difference in opinion and moving on.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ProfessorLoomis posted:

You're going up against a viscous hive-mind in this thread.

Did somebody say viscous hive-mind?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Potsticker posted:

I honestly don't know how you could read the reactions to the last four episodes and think that there was any sort of hivemind, unless people not arguing back and forth forever constitutes some sort of agreement? From what I see, when people disagree about most things there's a lot more just accepting a difference in opinion and moving on.

Yeah, this is one of the most pleasant threads on the forums, and that's coming from someone who usually has outspoken views.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ProfessorLoomis posted:

Seriously, save your breath. You're going up against a viscous hive-mind in this thread. They've formed a little clique in here, and dissenting opinions are met with holier than thou responses. For the record, I'm not so much a Moffat defender these days. That really doesn't account for why I come in here and snipe a little insult every now and then. Honestly, there's so much loving fake altruism and hot air in this thread, it makes me not even wanna be a Doctor Who fan. I keep coming back here though, every couple of days, to see if anyone had anything loving interesting or useful to say about the episode, and all i ever see is morons whining about literally every little loving thing. Even some of you who started pretty cool a year or two ago, now have just as big a stick up your asses as everyone else. It's like you guys hobby is loving finding anything that could be remotely construed as immoral/racist, then acting like white loving knights toward anyone who says otherwise. gently caress it, I typed this out, I'm posting it.

I've hated this season so far-this last episode was the best of the bunch and it still was only OK, and frankly, I do not feel like I'm part of any consensus.

SOME of us sort of agree that the Missy subplot is going to burst into flames and flail around, but none of us can even agree to agree on THAT.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

ProfessorLoomis posted:

If there actually were a consensus on the gender issues stuff there would be no discussion. If you don't like what some people are saying you should say so and try to address their points, rather than whining about them being an oppressive hivemind because :qq: there's more than one of them :qq:.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Help help I'm being persecuted by the somethingawful forum's doctor who thread

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I for one am sick and tired of the fawning adoration every single episode this season has gotten, I wish at least one person would post something they found lacking or poorly handled but no, the goddamn hivemind consensus dictates that we all love everything about every episode all the time. I guess I understand why Trin wrote the following now:

Trin Tragula posted:

The First Law of Doctor Who fans says: "All discussion shall agree that any given story is absolutely perfect, and there is no 'except X, that had some slightly problematic issues' corollary to this law." A great example of this is the four parts of The Trial of a Time Lord; we all agree that each individual story is a masterpiece of storytelling, and the only thing we can't agree on is whether Pip or Jane is the greater genius...

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

WE WILL REMOVE PAIN.
WE WILL REMOVE FEAR.
WE WILL REMOVE ENJOYMENT OF THINGS WHILE ACKNOWLEDGING THEIR FLAWS.
YOU WILL BECOME IDENTICAL LIKE MOFFAT'S FEMALE CHARACTERS.
YOU WILL BECOME LIKE US.
WE WILL SURVIVE.
WE WILL SURVIVE.
WE WILL SURVIVE.

Etc.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

ProfessorLoomis posted:

You need help.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jerusalem posted:

I for one am sick and tired of the fawning adoration every single episode this season has gotten, I wish at least one person would post something they found lacking or poorly handled but no, the goddamn hivemind consensus dictates that we all love everything about every episode all the time. I guess I understand why Trin wrote the following now:

I'm not a great critic, but I've honestly tried to be even-handed in my analysis. There have been problems with this season, I've said what they've been when they've come up, but the episode overall tends to overcome the issues.

The only ones that I'd say didn't were Deep Breath (which I didn't hate, but it really could've done with some more work and less time) and Listen (which is great until the end drags the whole thing down into 'good, I guess' territory).

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Getting the Key To Time boxset :toot: Apart from the Five Doctors special, are there any other particular must-have Who boxsets others would recommend? The Black Guardian Trilogy perhaps?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ewe2 posted:

Getting the Key To Time boxset :toot: Apart from the Five Doctors special, are there any other particular must-have Who boxsets others would recommend? The Black Guardian Trilogy perhaps?

Black Guardian trilogy for sure. Trial of a Time Lord if only for a snapshot of a VERY bizarre time in Doctor Who history. The Beginning Boxset is also good as it (loosely) details the gelling of the original group of travelers across the first three stories. Mannequin Mania to get Terror of the Autons AND the special features for Spearhead from Space, though I'd also recommend picking up the Spearhead blu-ray as a standalone.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm rewatching older (post-reboot) episodes after catching up to Occupation's thread. I know it's probably been said 10,000 times by now, but man is it bizarre watching Capaldi in The Fires of Pompeii.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ewe2 posted:

The Black Guardian Trilogy is two pretty good stories sandwiching one really awful story. The Beginning is a good one for the obvious historical interest, and the abbreviated Marco Polo included with it is pretty nice (I remember hearing that story get referenced all the time in surviving episodes when I was kid and wishing I could see it). Beneath the Surface has all the Silurian stories and the first is a classic, the second is pretty entertaining, and the third is a disaster. Beyond that, assuming we're talking about Region 1 box sets, I can't say there's anything that's worth it. The E-Space trilogy was the point when I was watching originally where I noticed that the show was going downhill. New Beginnings is more interesting for the transition from Baker to Davison than the quality of the stories. Trial of a Time Lord is... well, Trial of a Time Lord.

Lost in Time is an interesting box set to get since it's the orphaned episodes and recovered clips. The only "complete" story in the set is The Crusades and they only have audio for the two missing episodes, not even the picture reconstructions. It's a wealth of material for the interested fan but it's not something I'd say someone has to have. It's also now out of date since episodes have been recovered since it was released and a few more stories have completed.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 26, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fucknag posted:

I'm rewatching older (post-reboot) episodes after catching up to Occupation's thread. I know it's probably been said 10,000 times by now, but man is it bizarre watching Capaldi in The Fires of Pompeii.

I love that episode but man is,"It's like some sort of... volcano!" a clunky rear end line.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cleretic posted:

I'm not a great critic, but I've honestly tried to be even-handed in my analysis. There have been problems with this season, I've said what they've been when they've come up, but the episode overall tends to overcome the issues.

The only ones that I'd say didn't were Deep Breath (which I didn't hate, but it really could've done with some more work and less time) and Listen (which is great until the end drags the whole thing down into 'good, I guess' territory).

Don't worry, most people have been reasonable. I liked the second half of Deep Breath a lot, I just think it needed to cull some of its fat. Into the Dalek felt a bit rushed for much of it, but I really liked the ending. The Robin Hood episode was fun, I think Listen is the best episode the show has had in a long time and Time Heist, while it had some minor issues, was a good little genre adventure.

It's okay to like a thing and still be critical of it. It's okay to even think that a season is one of the low points in the show! I don't, for this particular season, but the people who do have had some good points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
People like different things about the show, and I think that's a pretty good mark of at least it being interesting. Like, when Doctor Who is bad, it's rarely because it's dull. It usually bursts into flames and flails around in its own poo poo, which goddammit I'll take over dull.

And I think this series has been a massive improvement, but I can understand its criticisms.

• Locked thread