Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Fishy Joe posted:

Is the answer Titties?

The answer is always titties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Patattack posted:

Topher Grace hunts Predators, Kurtwood Smith hunts Topher Grace, and RoboCop hunts Kurtwood Smith. Boom.

IIRC Peter Weller was in a season of 24, so Keifer Sutherland could fight/team up with RoboCop.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'd read the thread about that movie for a day.

"Yeah, Robocop's tank wasn't as cool as I thought it would be and the robopredator was only in the movie for like five minutes."

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Mar 31, 2017

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

50 Foot Ant posted:

Oh, and who GIVES A GOOD GODDAMN poo poo ABOUT THIS RANDOM SOLDIER DOUCHE?

gently caress him, nobody cares. Show us the scientists trying to figure out how to stop Muto, but for gently caress's sake, nobody gives a poo poo about PFC Asswipe, his loving wife, or his retard kid. Stop taking up movie time for some shoe-horned love-plot, some stupid kid bullshit, and some goddamn soldier that nobody cares about.

"You gotta have an underdog enlisted grunt with a loving and hot wife and an adorable kid or your giant monster movie won't make poo poo"
--Hollywood

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar has a new favorite as of 01:24 on Mar 31, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Thanks for sparing me the temptation to watch the new Godzilla.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
To be fair it seems like a trademark for the director. Just look at his other movie Monsters.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Gaunab posted:

To be fair it seems like a trademark for the director. Just look at his other movie Monsters.

Monsters was (arguably) supposed to be a love story, though.

When I think of loving GODZILLA I think of monsters smashing cities to pieces and roaring and causing all sorts of mayhem, not Private Smith and his adorable family.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

All filla no zilla

I liked it though tbh

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The movie True Godzilla Fans wanted to see invariably sounds awful.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The movie True Godzilla Fans wanted to see invariably sounds awful.

A movie with more than 11 minutes of Godzilla?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JT Smiley posted:

A movie with more than 11 minutes of Godzilla?

Every movie that fulfills this criteria is awful, ergo...

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I liked how there were three separate "oh on a kid is in danger false alarm they're safe now" AND a "oh no a dog is in danger false alarm they're safe now".

I rewatched the 1998 Godzilla and was stunned at how it doesn't have any longass breaks from monsters and monster-related activities to discuss the humans' backstories. There's also no pets or children.

EmmyOk posted:

All filla no zilla

I liked it though tbh

It's not terrible, honestly. The Mutos are pretty cool monsters, the setpieces are nice, and Godzilla himself is awesome when he shows up. Even Corporal Asswipe works alright as an Everyman to get put into situations to see the monsters up-close (there's no excusing Wife and Kid, tho).

But it's not the movie that the amazing Oppenheimer trailer promised, or the movie that ANY of the promotional material showed, or is still showing in the ads for the DVD.

The childlike glee I felt when Godzilla's spines began lighting up was worth the ticket price, though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If Godzilla 98 wasn't titled Godzilla, it'd be an okay film.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Jmcrofts posted:

I could be way off here, but I remember women walking around without a bra being way more common in the 90s than it is now, and it seems like it happened more in movies then too.

Friends set a lot of fashion trends, some not so good, and some that were alright

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

WickedHate posted:

I liked Godzilla 98 a lot better when it was called Jurassic Park

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Away all Goats posted:

I liked Godzilla 98 a lot better when it was called Jurassic Park

I've never watched Jurassic Park, so that might explain my good opinion of it(aside from the ruining premise of being Godzilla).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Why the gently caress haven't you seen Jurassic Park.

Go watch Jurassic Park right now.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Monsters was (arguably) supposed to be a love story, though.

When I think of loving GODZILLA I think of monsters smashing cities to pieces and roaring and causing all sorts of mayhem, not Private Smith and his adorable family.

Well Monsters wasn't advertised too much as a love story. Also when I think of monsters I don't think of romance.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

WickedHate posted:

I've never watched Jurassic Park

I.... I don't understand.... :confused:

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

Jesus you idiots nipples will show through a bra if they are erect.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Have you watched it recently? It is just a terrible movie. Like the constant "jokes" about people not being able to pronounce the main character's last name. Or the bizarre digs against Siskel and Ebert or how the only thing Vicki Lewis' character does in the entire movie is just ogle Matthew Broderick.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Nostalgia4ColdWar has a new favorite as of 01:23 on Mar 31, 2017

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

Have you watched it recently?

Nope, not in years. What I remember was mostly good, but I could be wrong, I'm not saying it's great, just passable.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

50 Foot Ant posted:

gently caress[...] Godzilla.

This was also my takeaway from that movie.

e:

WickedHate posted:

I've never watched Jurassic Park, so that might explain my good opinion of it(aside from the ruining premise of being Godzilla).

what is wrong with you??

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

WickedHate posted:

Nope, not in years. What I remember was mostly good, but I could be wrong, I'm not saying it's great, just passable.

I used to think this but I watched it over the summer and barely made it through.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

50 Foot Ant posted:

Godzilla 98 got us a revenge eye-loving with Ang Lee's The Hulk.

I blame Broderick.

He would have been a bigger threat to Godzilla if he was just driving a car.

You do know the original movie had very little Godzilla and it was mostly about the scientists?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Chard posted:

what is wrong with you??

He's never watched Jurassic Park

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I rewatched Godzilla 98 a few weeks ago, and it's better than Pacific Rim and most of Godzilla 2014.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Piell posted:

Why the gently caress haven't you seen Jurassic Park.

Go watch Jurassic Park right now.

Do this. Listen to this man. Your life is terrible and empty right now and you don't even know it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

nucleicmaxid posted:

Do this. Listen to this man. Your life is terrible and empty right now and you don't even know it.

Nothing about it really interests me. I'll probably watch it if I ever see it on TV or something.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
50 foot ant is your ptsd acting up again?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh my god. He's actually having a nuclear meltdown.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Frostwerks posted:

Oh my god. He's actually having a nuclear meltdown.

It's professional jealousy. The mutos beat him out for the audition.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
People who didn't like the new Godzilla and Pacific Rim also think Godzilla 98 was good.

The gas chambers are too good for you people.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MariusLecter posted:

People who didn't like the new Godzilla and Pacific Rim also think Godzilla 98 was good.

The gas chambers are too good for you people.

Seriously, I understand the gripes about the new Godzilla (even though I enjoyed it) but saying Godzilla 98 was better than it or Pacific Rim is just cutting your nose off to spite your face.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Godzilla 98 has a scene where helicopters crash because they're chasing Godzilla around between buildings, instead of just flying straight up.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I will never forgive GINO for making Godzilla a female.

Misogyny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think the new Godzilla was good, and for a lot of the same reasons that others hated it.

I agree that the casting/writing for the human viewpoint character was the weakest thing about the movie, but I completely disagree that having it in human viewpoint instead of eye-in-the-sky monster-cam for most of the movie was a bad thing.

The anticipation of seeing Godzilla in action was great. There was no Godzilla fatigue, they teased us, showed us a little, then snatched it away. The big fight was just short enough (and awesome enough) to make us want to see more. Finishing a movie and wanting to see more of that same thing RIGHT NOW is a success from a movie making standpoint. I'm sure the sequel will probably have Godzilla on the screen for 50+% of the movie like all the Michael Bay fans wanted and it will be terrible like they deserve.