Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
"I should put this on youtube :downs:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7izbpjaHKTI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
Because if there is one thing you want to document on YouTube, it's you committing a blatant and dangerous crime and then acting apathetic about it afterwards.

That really is nuts how little thought he gave to very nearly killing someone.

Re: Crosswalks: In Washington state you are required to stop for any pedestrian waiting to cross unless they have a stop signal, so it's not so much being an "rear end in a top hat" as it is obeying the law. Likewise, it is illegal for a pedestrian to enter any crosswalk or road if oncoming cars do not have enough time to stop.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

xzzy posted:

The signs around me are a loving joke and make the road more dangerous.

They only say "stop for pedestrians" without qualifying what situations it applies to. It creates four possibilities:

a) Pedestrians think they have right of way and can just walk into the road but the cars do not think this.
b) Cars think the pedestrians have right of way and the pedestrians don't, leading to cars stopping for no reason.
c) Both cars and pedestrians think it only applies to pedestrians actually in the street and things work smoothly.
d) Both cars and pedestrians think pedestrians have right of way and things also work smoothly.

The problem is the first two, and it's just a matter of time before someone gets splattered.

These aren't regulatory signs, they don't change the rules/laws about yielding. They are meant to remind people of the laws that do exist. They should only be installed at un-signalized crosswalks where pedestrians do, in fact, have the right of way (sometimes the DOT fucks up and puts them in at signalized crosswalks, welp). If you are at one of these unsignalized crosswalks and a pedestrian is standing with one foot on the road trying to cross, you're required to stop and yield to them.

Assuming you are in a state with laws similar to mine, that is.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you want to talk about dumb pedestrian crossings, check out this one from my hometown:

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.2382597,-76.4829875,3a,51.8y,35.06h,79.19t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1swE3__qOJS_KSuNWXyov8EA!2e0

Look carefully at what the little white notice on the bottom of the left signpost says.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Unload My Head posted:

Re: Crosswalks: In Washington state you are required to stop for any pedestrian waiting to cross unless they have a stop signal, so it's not so much being an "rear end in a top hat" as it is obeying the law. Likewise, it is illegal for a pedestrian to enter any crosswalk or road if oncoming cars do not have enough time to stop.

That's why I stand back from the curb when there's still traffic coming, unless it's a controlled intersection. I also wave on nearly all traffic, since as a ped I'm gonna be slower than (most) traffic.

However, I'm more than made up for by all the hobos/winos/students/loving morons who just wander out there... not to mention the vehicles that just roll into/over the marked crosswalks while I'm crossing. (Spokane WA)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sagebrush posted:

If you want to talk about dumb pedestrian crossings, check out this one from my hometown:

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.2382597,-76.4829875,3a,51.8y,35.06h,79.19t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1swE3__qOJS_KSuNWXyov8EA!2e0

Look carefully at what the little white notice on the bottom of the left signpost says.

:stonk: The gently caress?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

What the gently caress are some Brits driving on the wrong side of the road in the states or what?

EVERYBODY LET'S CROSS THE DOUBLE YELLOW TODAY!

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Is it legal to longboard down a road like that or should I even ask

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

gently caress these signs, the ones around me look a bit different, just black and white lettering and the stop sign which is a little bigger. I am always catching them out of the corner of my eye and slam on the brakes thinking I am about to run a real stop sign.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

This makes me irrationally angry. All vehicles are at a complete stop.

In the left lane, there is ample room for a car between cars 1 and 2 and 2 and 3. In fact that would be normal.
In the right lane, there is room for 2 (almost 3) cars between car 1 and 2, and room for a car between 2 and 3 (barely seen here).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Man, I dream of situations like that. Maybe not on a suburban street specifically, but in general it would be wonderful. If I leave that much space between my car and the one on front, say on the highway, someone will just immediately come and fill it up to get where they're going twenty feet sooner.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Goober Peas posted:

This makes me irrationally angry. All vehicles are at a complete stop.

In the left lane, there is ample room for a car between cars 1 and 2 and 2 and 3. In fact that would be normal.
In the right lane, there is room for 2 (almost 3) cars between car 1 and 2, and room for a car between 2 and 3 (barely seen here).

Only thing I hate about this is the people who leave this much room NEVER come to a complete stop. They slowly roll until the light turns green ONE MINUTE LATER. I give up most of the time and stop and let them roll however long they want to. By the time they come to a stop there's 1.5 car lengths between us.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

PaganGoatPants posted:

Only thing I hate about this is the people who leave this much room NEVER come to a complete stop. They slowly roll until the light turns green ONE MINUTE LATER. I give up most of the time and stop and let them roll however long they want to. By the time they come to a stop there's 1.5 car lengths between us.

Yup, I try and save brakes this way by in effect stopping sooner so I don't slowly roll for a minute long at every stoplight like you'll see people do. And then there are people who will inch forward at a stoplight too, which is equally annoying. Who knows if it has any quantifiable effect on brake life though?

I'm the annoying hypermiler you drive with by the way. I will coast up to reds at 20MPH on a 30MPH street (I would never do that with a green in front of me), people behind me will change lanes, aggressively accelerate to 35, get in front of me, then stop at the red. I'm good enough at it that I have many of my area's light timings memorized as well to race short greens and to see if it's worth it to coast to the red.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 24, 2014

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

There's a difference between coasting to a stop and stopping multiple car lengths from the car in front of you and/or rolling forward.

The first one is not a bad thing. The second is just being stupid.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Vehicles not required to stop, but that would be pretty rude, eh?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Michael Scott posted:

Yup, I try and save brakes this way by in effect stopping sooner so I don't slowly roll for a minute long at every stoplight like you'll see people do. And then there are people who will inch forward at a stoplight too, which is equally annoying. Who knows if it has any quantifiable effect on brake life though?

I'm the annoying hypermiler you drive with by the way. I will coast up to reds at 20MPH on a 30MPH street (I would never do that with a green in front of me), people behind me will change lanes, aggressively accelerate to 35, get in front of me, then stop at the red. I'm good enough at it that I have many of my area's light timings memorized as well to race short greens and to see if it's worth it to coast to the red.

The reason they get in front of you isn't because they think they can beat the light, but because they think you're going to accelerate like a snail and go way under the speed limit. So either they pass you when they can or they take the chance of someone else deciding to have a long chat of the phone and blocking you from passing.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Solkanar512 posted:

The reason they get in front of you isn't because they think they can beat the light, but because they think you're going to accelerate like a snail and go way under the speed limit. So either they pass you when they can or they take the chance of someone else deciding to have a long chat of the phone and blocking you from passing.

Is it really that unreasonable to coast towards a red light? If I'm a block or so away from a red it seems silly to charge towards it like everyone else, especially if I can see that the turn lanes haven't gone yet. But people are so impatient to get to that red light! Hurry up and wait!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I tend to coast up to red lights, and try to time it so that I don't have to come to a complete stop. Takes a bit more gas to get it moving from a dead stop instead of 5 mph, anyway. :shrug:

Someone once mentioned that driving a 240D was an exercise in conserving momentum, I try to drive like that in areas where I know the timing of the lights. Doing so has added an easy 2-3 MPG to my overall average.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I coast too, especially on my way to work at nights. Once I cross over into West Virginia all the lights are on timers instead of sensors, so if I'm more than a minute early or late I get to wait an entire light cycle, including the one for the invariably empty left turn lane.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm the guy who almost always coasts to red lights. I also leave a decent safety margin to the car in front when I stop at the lights, I don't want to be pushed into the car in front of me if someone hits me from behind.

And I leave plenty of following distance everywhere I drive, especially in rush hour traffic. A lot of the time, I can manage to hit the average speed of stop-and-go traffic in 1st gear without having to adjust more than a few hundred rpm. I may leave a pretty big gap in front of me, but very few people go to overtake, I figure they appreciate the steady progress.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The real crime is coasting to a stop to take a right turn into a side street or store, signaling or not.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

The real crime is coasting to a stop to take a right turn into a side street or store, signaling or not.

The people who coast a lot for mileage reasons aren't the ones doing that, though, since the more you slow down for a turn the more fuel you use getting back up to speed afterwards.

No, the people who do that are the ones I run into during my commute who blast past me doing 75, then I pass them after they slow down to 40 for the long curve with the 50 mph advisory speed, then they rocket back up to 75 to pass me again. All while I'm just tooling along with the cruise set to 62.

Lots of drivers who are otherwise willing to drive fast in a straight line are deathly afraid of turning at more than a crawl for some reason.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The ones in an SUV I can sort of understand, even though the center of mass of the vehicle is fairly low, the driver is perched high and it certainly feels like you're gonna roll the thing on every corner.

It's still stupidity but it's far from the most offensive thing I see people doing on the road.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Theris posted:

Lots of drivers who are otherwise willing to drive fast in a straight line are deathly afraid of turning at more than a crawl for some reason.

It's the worst when you're driving on an undivided road and you have to overtake in the oncoming lane, because you can never pass them without going very, very fast.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Like the woman in a V8 Charger I saw last weekend with a giant vinyl in the window that said "spOILed WIFE" so it looked like OIL WIFE which was terrible on it's own. She decided she'd rather follow someone at 60 than pass, speed limit was 65. So I did the double and passed both of them, that slow guy turned, and she was right up on me at 70. She'd just rather follow.

Worse though was the SRT Challenger who followed the speed limit exactly, not speeding up from 45 to 55 to 65 until he was literally in line with the sign. But when we got to a dedicated passing lane, he pulled to the right lane but kept up with me to 75 (speed limit still 65). JUST LET ME BY! I didn't even really want to go that fast but I didn't want to be behind someone.

Also on that same drive I was certain a truck hauling a 5th wheel was going to smash an SUV. Cruising at 62-64 or so, he was apparently behind someone slow and took the opportunity on a very short passing area on the two-lane. I was two cars back but I dropped back a good 300 feet, it looked sketchy as hell.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm the guy who almost always coasts to red lights. I also leave a decent safety margin to the car in front when I stop at the lights, I don't want to be pushed into the car in front of me if someone hits me from behind.

And I leave plenty of following distance everywhere I drive, especially in rush hour traffic. A lot of the time, I can manage to hit the average speed of stop-and-go traffic in 1st gear without having to adjust more than a few hundred rpm. I may leave a pretty big gap in front of me, but very few people go to overtake, I figure they appreciate the steady progress.

Yeah, but you're Scandinavian. Good Driving is acceptable there.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Raluek posted:

Is it really that unreasonable to coast towards a red light? If I'm a block or so away from a red it seems silly to charge towards it like everyone else, especially if I can see that the turn lanes haven't gone yet. But people are so impatient to get to that red light! Hurry up and wait!

In the burbs, I agree. In traffic dense cities with poorly planned roads and lovely light timing, getting in front of other people during rush hour--if only to stop at a red light--increases your chances to pass more people and catch the next green light. I commute 2 hours per day in Chicago, and the feral savagery I witness of cutting ahead just to beat the next traffic light or rail crossing quickly explains the 900+ road deaths per year in Illinois.

E: hey we might not hit 900 this year. But we probably will http://wrc.dot.il.gov/fatalcrash/crashdata.aspx

CharlieWhiskey fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 24, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CharlieWhiskey posted:

In the burbs, I agree. In traffic dense cities with poorly planned roads and lovely light timing, getting in front of other people during rush hour--if only to stop at a red light--increases your chances to pass more people and catch the next green light. I commute 2 hours per day in Chicago, and the feral savagery I witness of cutting ahead just to beat the next traffic light or rail crossing quickly explains the 900+ road deaths per year in Illinois.

E: hey we might not hit 900 this year. But we probably will http://wrc.dot.il.gov/fatalcrash/crashdata.aspx

At least Illinois isn't Texas!

I couldn't find 2014 numbers, but holy crap that state seems like a death trap. I noticed when I went to Austin last year and some of the highway signs indicated traffic death figures twice as big as the same signs in Illinois.

Granted, Texas has almost double the population and five times as much land, but the difference in traffic fatalities seems disproportionate.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

xzzy posted:

Granted, Texas has almost double the population and five times as much land, but the difference in traffic fatalities seems disproportionate.

How many of these are rolling around Illinois?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Half of this page would be dead from road rage if you ever drove on the toll roads here. :ohdear: Most of them have a 70 mph limit, with traffic in the left lane doing at least 80 outside of rush hour.

... that said, on most sections of the toll roads, only the TX DPS (state cops) have jurisdiction to write tickets, until you get on the newest sections.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

iForge posted:

How many of these are rolling around Illinois?

A surprising amount outside of Chicago. Though not usually that big.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

some texas redneck posted:

Half of this page would be dead from road rage if you ever drove on the toll roads here. :ohdear: Most of them have a 70 mph limit, with traffic in the left lane doing at least 80 outside of rush hour.

... that said, on most sections of the toll roads, only the TX DPS (state cops) have jurisdiction to write tickets, until you get on the newest sections.

Also for the fatalities I would guess most are actually out in the countryside where medical help is slower to respond when your truck doing 110 on a back road decides to try to be an airplane after spinning off the road and up an embankment.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Uthor posted:

A surprising amount outside of Chicago. Though not usually that big.

Yep. The amount of giant SUV's I have seen in Evanston and surrounding is way too many, and almost hilarious.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 25, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Yep. The amount of giant SUV's I have seen in Evanston and surrounding is way too many, and almost hilarious.

I meant mostly south of I-80, but, yeah, lots of big SUVs and full size pickups in the burbs.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Raluek posted:

You have to look at it in the context of local conditions. How large are your blocks? How slow are you coasting? Stuff like that.

I'm in the Seattle/Everett area, so when I hear people talking about hypermilling and coasting to lights, I picture a Subaru Outback that's meekly puttering around at 5 under "for safety" when traffic is 8+ over. That is until they spy a red light in the far distance, slam on their brakes "for safety" and then coasts at nearly idle all the way to the light. So yeah, I'm going to changes lanes, because I don't have time for that milquetoast crap. Either that, or they're on the phone and old enough to know better.

You can just imagine what it's like when more than one drive side by side.

I trust you're not like this, but if conditions allow and I see signs that point to this behavior, I just get around them. Your conditions may be different than mine.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Yeah, pretty different. Small town, traffic isn't packed, if I see a light ahead a few hundred feet that is red I will just idle along in fourth gear 'til I get there or the light turns green again. Usually I get to stopped traffic before it turns, yet people still like to blast around me just so they can threshold brake when they get to the stopped traffic ahead.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The thing about coasting/rolling up slowly to a light or leaving a big gap and not rolling forward to a reasonable distance is that it does more than just annoy the people who want to hurry up and wait. Usually it will block people from getting into a turn lane or make them miss the arrow or get someone stuck in an intersection. All those things slow traffic down for everyone even if you aren't doing anything wrong or it's technically someone else's fault.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Everybody sucks at driving.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

StormDrain posted:

slow and took the opportunity on a very short passing area on the two-lane. I was two cars back but I dropped back a good 300 feet, it looked sketchy as hell.
Since I don't drive for a living and rarely absolutely need to get somewhere on time I'm willing to give truck drivers a pass for engaging the right of weight in the vast majority of situations.

e: My vehicle is also not 60+ feet long, nor does it weigh billions of tons, nor does it have six hundred gears to go through.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jamal posted:

The thing about coasting/rolling up slowly to a light or leaving a big gap and not rolling forward to a reasonable distance is that it does more than just annoy the people who want to hurry up and wait. Usually it will block people from getting into a turn lane or make them miss the arrow or get someone stuck in an intersection. All those things slow traffic down for everyone even if you aren't doing anything wrong or it's technically someone else's fault.

That's easy to deal with, all it takes is staying aware of your surroundings. Even if no one uses a blinker you can read what they want to do and adjust your driving to try and keep everyone happy.

I stop/start significantly slower if no one is behind me. I'll drift to the left side of the lane if it's clear the person behind me wants to turn right too, just to give them as much room as I can.