Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Over Dig Through Time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Has anyone of note talked about the standard storm deck? I'm tempted to buy it for tomorrow if the parts are cheap enough.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Rinkles posted:

So you're telling me there's a chance of standard playable Treasure Cruises? Would make me happy. (Or was that happening anyway?)
Some deck will definitely be playing treasure cruise or dig through time in Standard. I'm leaning dig because 2 awesome answers at instant speed is usually better in Standard than 3 random cards but cruise is technically easier to cast.

There's 2 versions of the Jeskai deck and the guy on reddit that's done about 150 total matchups with it says the Kruphix Insight version is much more consistent now. He says it folds really hard to mono black aggro, but every other match up is arguably 80% win rate(even decks running 8+ counters.)

It'll be interesting to see what happens with it. Even if its a flash in the pan if it wins one big tournament I'd call that a win.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Saw the glittering wish price spike so I put my playset up for trade on deckbox. Some guy immediately offers a gaddock teeg and vedalken shackles for the set plus a godless shrine. Do these guys think they're the only ones that check tcg mid or mtgstocks?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Rinkles posted:

Over Dig Through Time?

Both cards are awesome and I fully expect some type of control-ish Sultai deck using them.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Is there going to be a new megathread for the release of KoT/new rotation?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I know this is a card from years ago, but since this is the first time it's been relevant, I love that glittering wish gets you a gold card :allears:

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Planeswalker distribution from Maro's tumblr:

quote:

quote:

empyreanobscure said:

So if there are still five planeswalkers per block, and the normal block structure is to be large/small, then will small sets from now on have two rather than one planeswalker, or will large sets have four, or will this vary?
As a default, large sets will have three planeswalkers and small sets will have two.

That's a bit of an increase in terms of per-set, but not per-standard planeswalker density.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
My favorite thing about Treasure Cruise is the name. It's like, yup, just taking a relaxing treasure cruise.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

I Love You! posted:

Pretty sure treasure cruise will be standard staple as it's been fantastic in testing. It comes down at 1-3 mana in most situations and when topdecked is virtually always 1-2 mana. Can just immediately break a game since it actually ADDS tempo instead of slows it down in many cases. Super strange spell to play with, it feels like you're doing some sort of combo but nope, just playing a card and drawing 3.

Treasure Cruise is my most favorite magic card Wizards has printed in a very long time.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

Over Dig Through Time?

Dig is an instant though so I think it's the more powerful card.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Treasure Cruise is easier to splash for if you want to keep your commitment to wacky mana bases as low as possible, which may be worth considering.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

The artifact version of the combo is real loving bad never play it

The only real debate is whether you go all out with enchantments and run Eidolon of Blossoms and Kruphix's Insight to minimize fizzle chance or if you run the more powerful but less consistent version that mains Twinflame and Retraction Helix and uses Delve spells or Divination for card draw

I personally prefer the Enchantment version because you need to get that Ascendancy on board or else you're DOA. Having 8 spells to dig for one is very useful and really power up the Delve spells. You can also use Burning Anger instead of the Fireball, because then you can kill if you only have Caryatids on board.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Gyshall posted:

Treasure Cruise is my most favorite magic card Wizards has printed in a very long time.

When we were drafting our Prerelease winnings I opened Treasure Cruise in pack three and snap kept. It helped that I was already in Blue, but that's seriously going to be a splash card.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Man, I miss when Caryatid was a $4-5 card. I wish I had picked up a playset then but I was just playing casually at the time and would have rather had a bunch of fun, cheap things than a few really good things. :smith:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Pinwiz11 posted:

When we were drafting our Prerelease winnings I opened Treasure Cruise in pack three and snap kept. It helped that I was already in Blue, but that's seriously going to be a splash card.

I don't think I lost a single game prerelease weekend when I drew a Cruise

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

JerryLee posted:

My favorite thing about Treasure Cruise is the name. It's like, yup, just taking a relaxing treasure cruise.

From the moment the name was spoiled, it made me think of the Vikings' Sex Boat scandal.

football nerds

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

From the moment the name was spoiled, it made me think of the Vikings' Sex Boat scandal.

football nerds

requesting art alter showing fred smoot taking the treasure cruise

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Cernunnos posted:

Man, I miss when Caryatid was a $4-5 card. I wish I had picked up a playset then but I was just playing casually at the time and would have rather had a bunch of fun, cheap things than a few really good things. :smith:

Yeah, $10 mana dorks are rough.

Signed, Noble Hierarch

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm at a release and opened the new Sarkhan and a really solid Temur deck, whaaat

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

setafd posted:

I'm at a release and opened the new Sarkhan and a really solid Temur deck, whaaat

I bought a Fat Pack from Target earlier today since they usually stock it a day early.

It was hilarious:

Narset, Enlightened Master
Zurgo Helmsmasher
Pearl Lake Ancient
Ashcloud Phoenix
Windswept Heath
Clever Impersonator (foil)
Rakshasa Deathdealer
Siege Rhino
Deflecting Palm
Mantis Rider

Also, Saito is posting decks on Twitter again.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Delve is an extremely well-designed mechanic because it manages to be powerful but weaker with more copies of it. This means almost any deck can use a couple Delve cards, but few decks will want to be built around Delve.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
But only my favorite colors get the privilege

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The Mardu Control deck Saito posted is crazy.

4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Temple of Malice
4 Nomad Outpost
2 Caves of Koilos
2 Battlefield Forge
2 Temple of Triumph
2 Temple of Silence
2 Mountain
2 Swamp
1 Plains
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

3 End Hostilities
3 Hero’s Downfall
3 Despise
4 Lightning Strike
3 Bile Blight
4 Mardu Charm
4 Read the Bones
3 Anger of the Gods
1 Empty the Pits

3 Elspeth, Sun’s Champion
3 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Angry Grimace posted:

4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Temple of Malice
4 Nomad Outpost
2 Caves of Koilos
2 Battlefield Forge
2 Temple of Triumph
2 Temple of Silence
2 Mountain
2 Swamp
1 Plains

3 End Hostilities
3 Hero’s Downfall
3 Despise
4 Lightning Strike
3 Bile Blight
4 Mardu Charm
4 Read the Bones
3 Anger of the Gods
1 Empty the Pits

No Crackling Doom?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Mischalaniouse posted:

No Crackling Doom?

Its at least a sideboard card I would assume.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I'm planning on playing Treasure Cruise in my Villainous Devotion deck, if only to protect against flood.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mischalaniouse posted:

No Crackling Doom?

No Thoughtsieze!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
If Urborg is in play, are lands in my library now swamps as well?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fingers McLongDong posted:

If Urborg is in play, are lands in my library now swamps as well?

Nope. And Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth is not a swamp itself unless it's on the battlefield either, so you can't fetch it with Bloodstained Mire.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Is it time for a new thread, then?

I can't imagine what the thread title will be now :allears:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

We already did this:
Magic: The Gathering: The Megathread: M10 Edition - Not all reposts

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

I'm holding out for Arabian Nights.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mehall posted:

We already did this:
Magic: The Gathering: The Megathread: M10 Edition - Not all reposts

But what's gonna happen in 6 years when we run out of coresets? :ohdear:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Best part of standard is playtesting Saito decks.

Edit: what's the 5 card in one proxy site?

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 26, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Temple of Malice
4 Nomad Outpost
2 Caves of Koilos
2 Battlefield Forge
2 Temple of Triumph
2 Temple of Silence
2 Mountain
2 Swamp
1 Plains

3 End Hostilities
3 Hero’s Downfall
3 Despise
4 Lightning Strike
3 Bile Blight
4 Mardu Charm
4 Read the Bones
3 Anger of the Gods
1 Empty the Pits

Basically Eslpeth is still the most powerful finisher in the format and needs to be jammed into everything. I'm playing Abzan Reanimator and I'm playing 2 Elspeth.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Count Bleck posted:

But what's gonna happen in 6 years when we run out of coresets? :ohdear:

Block names are better anyway

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

I still support Magic: The Gathering: The Megathread: The Mind Sculptor

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

We agreed that "literally fireballing your money" was going to be in the new thread title! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

We agreed that "literally fireballing your money" was going to be in the new thread title! :mad:

How about "I'm Surrak-ing my brains for a new thread title, but Sarkhant be bothered."

... :downsrim:

• Locked thread