Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Thank you. This is what pops into my head everytime someone mentions ketchup on hot dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

zoux posted:

I'll be 35 in a few weeks so I've been paying closer attention to what I eat. Seeing that pastrami reminded me: there is so loving much sodium in everything.

You want the DASH diet. It's pretty much the only all around effective diet for reducing blood pressure, and it's bizarrely successful at lowering weight, too. It was developed out of NIH and is better vetted than other well-known diets. The main NIH guide is here. Caveat- I'm not a nutritionist, I was just raised by a researcher who was a senior official at NIH. If you have any health conditions, talk to your doctor first, etc.

PS The guide has perhaps the greatest collection of stock smiling multiethnic healthy people you will ever see.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 26, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My blood pressure is fine and also the link between sodium and hypertension is extremely tenuous.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

You want the DASH diet. It's pretty much the only all around effective diet for reducing blood pressure, and it's bizarrely successful at lowering weight, too. It was developed out of NIH and is better vetted than other well-known diets. The main NIH guide is here. Caveat- I'm not a nutritionist, I was just raised by a researcher who was a senior official at NIH. If you have any health conditions, talk to your doctor first, etc.

PS The guide has perhaps the greatest collection of stock smiling multiethnic healthy people you will ever see.

The DASH eating plan:

Emphasizes vegetables, fruits, and fat-free or low-fat dairy products
Includes whole grains, fish, poultry, beans, seeds, nuts, and vegetable oils
Limits sodium, sweets, sugary beverages, and red meats

Wow that's pretty innovative. Eat good things and avoid bad things.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Oliver Sacks should write a fascinating essay about people who think the things you are posting visually represent or count as "food"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

looking at it again, the stuff in the middle might be fancy mushrooms? i really can't tell

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Badger of Basra posted:

looking at it again, the stuff in the middle might be fancy mushrooms? i really can't tell

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qofsdSMuGbg

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ughhhhhhhh

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

http://www.zagat.com/r/alinea-chicago

Our Summary Review posted:

"Expect to be wowed" at Grant Achatz's "unrivaled" Lincoln Park New American, a "culinary experience of a lifetime" (and Chicago's Most Popular restaurant) where "transcendent flavors", "unforgettable, artistic presentation" and "mind-blowing technique" highlight a multicourse tasting menu that's akin to "going on a food safari"; "über-modern" decor is enhanced by "interactive, accommodating" staffers, and while you may need to "bring the Brink's truck" to pay, well, that might be the cost of "foodie heaven."

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

This is a joke right?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Not gonna lie, I love that kind of poo poo. Give me all the multi-paragraph entree descriptions.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

This is a joke right?

http://www.zagat.com/b/chicago/hot-dish-ham-cheddar-donut-at-glazed-infused

Hot Dish: Ham & Cheddar Donut at Glazed & Infused posted:

Glazed & Infused has rolled out its line of fall donuts, and among them is its first-ever savory option, a ham and cheddar flavor. Sweet honey-mustard glaze with notes of rosemary covers the cake donut, while pieces of Beeler’s ham seasoned with roasted garlic add pops of flavor in each bite. Supposedly there is locally sourced cheddar too, but we couldn’t taste it. If you can stomach the idea of a meat donut, then it's worth a try. If not, try the white chocolate cranberry flavor, a bismark studded with creamy white chocolate custard and tart cranberry glaze. It’s a rich creation that celebrates the end of swimsuit season.

"line of fall donuts, "

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
That place is going to have to come up with a better gimmick if they think they can pull me away from Doobie's Dog House.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Not gonna lie, I love that kind of poo poo. Give me all the multi-paragraph entree descriptions.

2014 Michelin Guide posted:

And once again, Alinea, considered one of the best restaurants in the world, received Michelin’s maximum three-star designation.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...ant-restaurants

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Eat the loving rich

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

wowing yokels on a nightly basis

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

So like 90% of that dessert seems to be powders and liquids that they just dump on the table. Are you supposed to lick it off or something?

PS which is worse
1. Ketchup and/or mayo on hot dogs
2. Steak cooked well done
3. The kind of pizza that isn't the one you like

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 26, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
In non-foodchat, Nate Silver decides to open his mouth on another issue he don't know jack about :
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/well-probably-never-know-if-the-cdcs-big-ebola-forecast-is-accurate/

And in re:

http://www.caitlinrivers.com/blog/public-health-paradox

Real nerdfights are so polite

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Let me tell you some real poo poo to put on a hotdog: pimento cheese

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
in my opinion, exuma should be listened to by all, regardless of hot dog topping preferences (mustard and sauerkraut are objectively the best)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkj1DDKSDUg

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

So like 90% of that dessert seems to be powders and liquids that they just dump on the table. Are you supposed to lick it off or something?

PS which is worse
1. Ketchup and/or mayo on hot dogs
2. Steak cooked well done
3. The kind of pizza that isn't the one you like

2, 3, 1, in descending order of terribleness.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

The DASH eating plan:

Emphasizes vegetables, fruits, and fat-free or low-fat dairy products
Includes whole grains, fish, poultry, beans, seeds, nuts, and vegetable oils
Limits sodium, sweets, sugary beverages, and red meats

Wow that's pretty innovative. Eat good things and avoid bad things.

It's the one that was developed by the NIH for reduced salt intake, and was fairly innovative during the period of its development for the greater rigor that went into its design. It still stacks up better than subsequently promoted diets in the consistency of its effectiveness among complaint dieters.

zoux posted:

My blood pressure is fine and also the link between sodium and hypertension is extremely tenuous.

Got a source that trumps the CDC and NIH? Because the only significant person I know of promoting the idea that the link between excess sodium and hypertension is invalid is Gary loving Taubes.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 26, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

mooyashi posted:

This West Coast abomination is creeping its way across the country
More like Worst Coast. Anytime they get near an interesting food recipe they have to lard it up with something to cool things down. Sour cream, cream cheese, guacamole, etc. All fine additions to a meal, but sometimes it's okay to eat something that's only cheesy and spicy and hot and the Worst Coast basically can't handle the heat.

I'm callin' y'all out.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hey what are some good Bobby Kennedy books? I just realized I have tons of books about basically everything about the Kennedy family but almost nothing about the one I actually respect and admire most from them, I should fix that.
Please report back other controversial facts as you find them. My un-researched read on him was basically that he was a brilliant and amoral piece of poo poo until somehow the light switched on after his brother and MLK were killed and he seemed to pick up a conscience to go with his natural talent.

Who was it had the quote about Teddy? I think maybe it was Nixon that said Teddy was the natural politician of the three and the one he'd be most afraid to run against.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 26, 2014

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
ya cant handle the heat........... get outta the country! -- swan oat, texan and patriot

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Swan Oat posted:

ya cant handle the heat........... get outta the country! -- swan oat, texan and patriot
qft

Although if you get out of the country to somewhere with even spicier food this is not considered unpatriotic.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

ReindeerF posted:

More like Worst Coast. Anytime they get near an interesting food recipe they have to lard it up with something to cool things down. Sour cream, cream cheese, guacamole, etc. All fine additions to a meal, but sometimes it's okay to eat something that's only cheesy and spicy and hot and the Worst Coast basically can't handle the heat.

I'm callin' y'all out.

Northwest spicy chicken teriyaki.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

RuanGacho posted:

Northwest spicy chicken teriyaki.

I see you had them make a special one without sour cream. Also, Japanese food is never really spicy even when it is.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

ReindeerF posted:

I see you had them make a special one without sour cream. Also, Japanese food is never really spicy even when it is.

Admittedly its not as hot as some food but it definitely is hotter than anything you care order fast food and not sweet at all.

I just think its funny because I dont know anyone in the seattle area who eats that weird hotdog and were getting blamed for it. The rest of your quips are all Californian food crimes no doubt though.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

what's that good deli in portland, or

that place

it has some good deli meat

You might be thinking of Kenny and Zuke's, though I'm also loyal to Otto's on SE Woodstock and some of the best sandwiches are on 39th and Gladstone at Shut Up and Eat.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
And now I want a pastrami on dark rye with horseradish, muenster, and sauerkraut thanks everyone

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReindeerF posted:

Who was it had the quote about Teddy? I think maybe it was Nixon that said Teddy was the natural politician of the three and the one he'd be most afraid to run against.

Nixon: What the hell is the matter with Teddy? It isn’t a question, I mean, I don’t think it’s a sex business. I think his problem, his lack of discretion, don’t you think it’s the booze? He can’t resist--

Kissinger: First of all, he drinks.

Nixon: No, no. Bobby and Jack, everybody knows it, had their own ladies. They were a hell of a lot more discreet.

Kissinger: I’ve had Christina Ford tell me quite candidly that Teddy’s unbelievable. He invited her to the opening of the Kennedy Center, to his house. He had two tables. One upstairs and one downstairs. He took her upstairs. All during the dinner she had to fight him off because under the table he was grabbing her by the legs.

Nixon: Oh Christ! With other people present?

Kissinger: That’s right, at his own house. With his wife heading the table downstairs. You know, Christina’s past, she’s not exactly an innocent.

Nixon: I didn’t think so. She doesn’t look like an innocent. I don’t know.

Kissinger: Then, she said, he followed her to New York. They [Mr. and Mrs. Henry Ford II] have an apartment there, in the Carlyle Hotel. He [Kennedy] rented one ten floors down. [Kennedy] Walked up the stairs, practically beat her door down. She said she's been pursued by many men in her life, but Teddy, just, is impossible. She finally told him, what if the newspapers get this? He said, "no newspapers are going to print anything about me. I’ve got that covered."

Nixon: Jesus Christ! That’s pretty arrogant.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Nixon: Well Goddamn it, there ought to be a way to get him [Kennedy] covered. I wouldn't bother with McGovern. I think with Teddy, the reason I would cover him is from a personal standpoint--you're likely to find something on that.

Haldeman: He's covered on that.

Nixon: You're sure?

Haldeman: Pretty much.

Nixon: You watch. I predict something more is going to happen.

Haldeman: They're keeping an eye on the [Kennedy] family. I meant in--

Nixon: I mean, it's a matter of judgment, I mean he's just gotta--

Haldeman: Did you see his wife [Joan] came here at the White House again all done up in some crazy outfit?

Nixon: What, did Pat [Nixon] [unclear]?

Haldeman: A Senate wives luncheon.

Nixon: What did she [Joan] wear?

Haldeman: Some leather gaucho, with a bare midriff, or something.

Ziegler: Well, no, they put on a body stocking which is flesh tone.

Haldeman: Oh, is that it?

Ziegler: And then they wrap the leather gaucho type thing around it. So you look at it from a distance, and you think "My God, there she is. But she has a body stocking."

Nixon: Weird.

Haldeman: She was going to wear hotpants but Teddy told her she couldn't.

Ziegler: They're weird people. They really are. I mean, even the--

Nixon: It's crude. What the hell's the matter with them? What's she trying to prove?

Haldeman: Whatever it is, she ain't gaining many votes, because they've got, the super swinger jet set types are going to be for them and not for you no matter what happens.

Ziegler: I don't know, the super swingin' jet set types don't even relate to that type thing. It's a very, very small group.

Haldeman: Middle American folk...that's desecration of the White House to most Americans.
[Unclear exchange]

Ziegler: She has to have some sort of hang-up herself personally. She knows what Teddy was doing out there with that girl [Mary Jo Kopechne] running her into the water, you know, and what he's been doing.

Haldeman: But that family's used to that. That's the price you play when you join that club.

Nixon: They do it all the time.

Haldeman: They all know that. Ethel, Jackie, and all the rest of them.

Nixon: They gotta' expect that.

Haldeman: If you want to get in their ballgame, you play by their rules.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Note Haldeman trying to bait Nixon with "hotpants" in there.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Nixon was afraid of Ted, and had Ehrlichman find a loyal Secret Service agent that they could put on Ted as a spy, but then Nixon was afraid of everybody.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jesus will you and Nixon just gently caress already?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I have to defend my country on the internet against accusations of rampant incest. I now know what it feels like to be from the American South.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i'm like, not an idiot unable to appreciate the aesthetics of what these people are doing or someone who'll hate on chefs getting tired of making the ol steak&fries combo but this is just ridiculous. this is like a special kind of decadent. i don't even care that the marketing for these types of places is pretentious and cringe-worthy, because it's aimed at pretentious and cringe-worthy people. but someone needs to walk in there and tell these people to tone it down. i mean, to a point, fair do's to them if they can actually sell this for a lot of money, but man. what.

i'll tell ya what, once the eating of the rich starts, we'll be using goddamn plates.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Randler posted:

I have to defend my country on the internet against accusations of rampant incest. I now know what it feels like to be from the American South.
also why are germans nude all the time? everywhere i go on holiday: naked germans. not even in a sexual way. just no clothes, no shame. what's up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

R. Mute posted:

also why are germans nude all the time? everywhere i go on holiday: naked germans. not even in a sexual way. just no clothes, no shame. what's up with that?

Accuracy of the movie Euro Trip as a documentary: confirmed.

• Locked thread