Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Eldercain posted:

Stretch goals: 20k a month - I will update my comic at least once per quarter.

Haha. You think he actually included updating his comic anywhere as part of the deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Weirdo posted:

So... I'm guessing Mr. Aaron Diaz never really publicly responded to his criticism? It seems like he took a month-long twitter break and then just resumed.

Oh, he responded plenty with short-sighted and spiteful comments, but then he went and deleted them when everyone didn't immediately back him up. Gotta keep that reputation clean! Now he's in the "pretend it never happened" phase. I'm sure there are screenshots of them floating around somewhere, though, if you really want to read them.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Weirdo posted:

So... I'm guessing Mr. Aaron Diaz never really publicly responded to his criticism? It seems like he took a month-long twitter break and then just resumed.

I was going to make a comment about how "criticism" rhymes with "jism" and then I realized this isn't the GBS thread. But aren't we all just a GBS thread, deep down inside.

I'd love to see that guy just get over himself and start making poo poo more than once every celestial alignment, even though I don't even care for the comic at all. Partly just because it'd be nice to see him actually EARNING the money he makes off of it, which is in turn partly born of a pungent jealousy I tote over his undeserved riches :smith:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

DaveWoo posted:

He also put up a Patreon!

Well it`s great he`s focusing on what`s really important.

But honestly, it`s such a great example of someone who freely gives out detailed criticism but takes offense when he is the subject of it. Not to mention, he was criticized *specifically* for what he criticized others for. Maybe webcomic artists should take a Hypocritical oath :cheeky:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It would probably be fine if he just rebranded his comic to reflect its focus on sexy thrills instead of pretending that aspect isn't there.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Potsticker posted:

Haha. You think he actually included updating his comic anywhere as part of the deal?

Well, Diaz did promise to put up a milestone goal involving more updates sometime next week. (Of course, it remains to be seen how high the milestone goal will be, or whether he'll include some kind of loophole in order to weasel out of it later.)

Supercar Gautier posted:

It would probably be fine if he just rebranded his comic to reflect its focus on sexy thrills instead of pretending that aspect isn't there.

Yes, but that would involve acknowledging that all of his talk of "empowerment" was just a fig leaf for drawing wank material. And he can't do that.

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world

Twenty Four posted:

Hey, I checked it out briefly and it still just isn't up my alley. Glad you like it, not my thing, but all is well!

That's understandable, thanks for giving it a chance!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Twenty Four posted:

Hey, I checked it out briefly and it still just isn't up my alley. Glad you like it, not my thing, but all is well!

sounds like you're full of poo poo, Bob

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Potsticker posted:

Doesn't he have to make something to get the money anyways? Or is it broad enough he could pass off one of his 'this is how the next zelda game/batman comic/etc SHOULD be' dealies?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Parts Kit posted:

Doesn't he have to make something to get the money anyways? Or is it broad enough he could pass off one of his 'this is how the next zelda game/batman comic/etc SHOULD be' dealies?

If, when setting up his Patreon, he picked the "per update" model instead of the "per month" model, then yes, he would have to make stuff. But he picked "per month", so he only has to keep making content at a rate that doesn't alienate his fanbase - and if we've learned anything from the past, he could get away with a single page per year.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If he set it per update, then maybe it would motivate him to update as often as he keeps saying he wants to.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
He also mentioned that he was suffering from depression, so there's that.

If I were going to criticize the dude, I'd prefer to focus on how this latest update is all about Kim getting this guy to answer her questions, and yet we still don't know anything about what's going on here.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rand Brittain posted:

He also mentioned that he was suffering from depression, so there's that.

If I were going to criticize the dude, I'd prefer to focus on how this latest update is all about Kim getting this guy to answer her questions, and yet we still don't know anything about what's going on here.

It feels like video game characters trading bad action movie dialog to pass the time as the plot struggles to dump the world building out coherently.

A Gnarlacious Bro fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 25, 2014

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is the first time I've read DC in almost 6 years and it's p funny just how many teenagers have completed comparable projects with noticeably more skilled storytelling.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Funny in, like, a mean way.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
*unveils magnum opus ten years in the making*

This, my darling, is the Dresden Codak.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 25, 2014

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

"At least tell me what Dark Science is" "Okay, it's <cryptic poetic vaguery we've already heard>"

e: I'd almost say that Diaz has no idea what Dark Science could actually be, and is waffling around for extra time.

Telarra fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 25, 2014

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Moddington posted:

"At least tell me what Dark Science is" "Okay, it's <cryptic poetic vaguery we've already heard>"

e: I'd almost say that Diaz has no idea what Dark Science could actually be, and is waffling around for extra time.

What I learned in Dark science school is how to

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Moddington posted:

its magic

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

That doesn't sound very Bayesian. :saddowns:

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

So, Aaron Diaz is really successful at what he does (or doesn't do), and I'm having a very difficult time understanding why. I know this thread really dislikes him, but he also seems to have a massive fan-base of like-minded humans who are willing to throw money his way. Is mining nerd culture really that lucrative? Did he just get super lucky?

At some point selling a dream seems to have become more valuable than creating and realizing the actual content, which is really depressing to think about. I get the feeling that the people who like his stuff have seem to have little interest in actually reading whatever Dresden Codak is, but maybe just like the vague idea of Steam Punk :science: Science! Just seeing that he managed to get over 2k a month on a Patreon is kind of hard to wrap my head around. The whole thing just leaves me with a lot of questions, because it feels like any advice I've ever heard is the opposite of reality, and despite what everyone insists on believing, you should probably just draw hot babes, pokemon, and star wars fanfics. That's a pretty bitter outlook to take though, so I'd rather not think that way. I don't know anything about him personally, and you can't really blame him for his success...but who are all these people who support him? Where is he finding them? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Space-Bird posted:

So, Aaron Diaz is really successful at what he does (or doesn't do), and I'm having a very difficult time understanding why. I know this thread really dislikes him, but he also seems to have a massive fan-base of like-minded humans who are willing to throw money his way. Is mining nerd culture really that lucrative? Did he just get super lucky?

At some point selling a dream seems to have become more valuable than creating and realizing the actual content, which is really depressing to think about. I get the feeling that the people who like his stuff have seem to have little interest in actually reading whatever Dresden Codak is, but maybe just like the vague idea of Steam Punk :science: Science! Just seeing that he managed to get over 2k a month on a Patreon is kind of hard to wrap my head around. The whole thing just leaves me with a lot of questions, because it feels like any advice I've ever heard is the opposite of reality, and despite what everyone insists on believing, you should probably just draw hot babes, pokemon, and star wars fanfics. That's a pretty bitter outlook to take though, so I'd rather not think that way. I don't know anything about him personally, and you can't really blame him for his success...but who are all these people who support him? Where is he finding them? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

I think when you said "but maybe just like the vague idea of Steam Punk :science: Science! " is pretty much the key thing here. It's a little like those people who write really out-of-character fanfictions of whatever show or movie to the point that you're like "Did you even consume the same media I did because this has nothing to do with that character at all"- the actual canon isn't so important as an end factor as it is a catalyst to make them feel rewarded in a smart way. They get the references, the art is very capable, the main character is one of those unsocial awkward self-righteous personalities that people really enjoy reading about in webcomics for some reason. I feel like, if you like Dresden Codak and talk about it, it's a bit like having a badge that says "I am a cool awesome type nerd," like when people brag about liking XKCD. (And I do mean bragging, there's a difference between people who just mention that they read it and people who get kind of a smug look on the face while they say it).

I mean, XKCD is kind of a good comparison here I think. DC is like XKCD minus punchlines plus capable art times convolution.

I don't understand it entirely, because I've known about DC for years, heard that it was a really good comic and seen it recommended before, but I never got into it myself and yeah, it doesn't really seem to line up properly with the amoutn of money he makes off of it or the amount of popularity it has. Some of it has been luck, a lot of it is probably word of mouth advertising, I've heard people say Diaz himself is a nice dude so going to conventions he probably makes a good impression there as well. For people who don't nitpick things like "Why is Kimiko randomly loving swole for no reason now in the comic," who don't mind the hypocrisy of the sexy/nosexy thing, who see a dazzle of panels littered across the page as a creative inventive thing instead of as a compositional nightmare, and who are attracted to the flawless painterly lineless art style, who "identify" with Kimiko on some level (because she doesn't like people and she's snarky and an unappreciated genius!! just like me!!) or just think she's attractive, and who like reading/watching things that make them feel smart even if it's not actually intellectually stimulating, DC is a perfect comic.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Space-Bird posted:

I'm willing to believe that it's a combination of "At some point selling a dream seems to have become more valuable than creating and realizing the actual content" and a pleasant style of draftsmanship. There's a lot of weird social context going into the relative popularity of anything, and on the internet it can be even harder to analyze. As much as I hate on it for seeming totally overstuffed with dumb sci-fi ideas and directionless plodding, I'm sure there's a decent sized audience that it resonates with. This might sound cynical, but I think a lot of poorly constructed (from an academic standpoint) things become popular online because the user could see themselves in the creator and their passions.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel bad for projecting that much into this dudes goofy comic.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, it's an identity thing, and (as is very clear on the internet, especially lately) people will do anything to defend something that they identify with, and put up with anything from it.

It totally is depressing that you can bypass "hard work and good decisions" and make bank due to some quirk of culture, if you dwell on it. But it's one of those things you just have to let roll off you, unless you intend on exploiting it yourself.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I feel bad for projecting that much into this dudes goofy comic.

Don't feel bad. He's laughing all the way to the bank. :shobon:

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I've always figured that a good amount of his continued audience was inertia from years ago when it was semi-regularly updated and just a quirky nerd-based gag-a-day comic; could that be any impact, or has it been so long since then that they would've all drifted away by now?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

You can make a loving fortune selling poo poo to nerds, look at the number of Daily T-Shirt websites that sell like, Doctor Whotant Ninja Turtles and 8-Bit Firefly designs and you'll realize that nerds are really only a demographic defined by their ability to spend money on merchandise. Geek Culture tends to distance itself so much from any form of actual content creation that they deify or villify anyone who makes anything that they might be interested in. Because of this assholes get to shirk accountability while people who actually attempt to reach out to the broader culture on a consistent basis get targeted for abuse.

Aaron Diaz' just needs to drop some vague science references for the bazinga crowd and he can ride that level of desperation for years without actually talking to anyone or generating a significant amount of actual content. To a select crowd enjoying his work prods a niche reaction of intellectual superiority and generalized geekery that people tend to eat up.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Eldercain posted:

Stretch goals: 20k a month - I will update my comic at least once per quarter.

His patreon is three days old and already up to 2.5k, this isn't a far stretch of the imagination. I think I'd get ill if he made that much via patreon.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Hey so I was in a hurry to go to bed when I linked The Subject before but I wanted to add my thoughts on it. I liked it because I thought it was a really insightful look into how doctors respond to illnesses that aren't clear-cut. It was obvious she was suffering from something but because test results kept coming back saying her Thyroid was within the medical establishment's "normal" range doctor after doctor dismissed her complaints out of hand. It reminded me a lot of an article I read recently about how doctors are significantly more likely to dismiss or underplay the complaints of patients with diagnosed serious mental illnesses and give them consistently poorer care because of it. The only way she could get any real treatment for her condition was by saying she wanted to have a baby, female a problem they'd actually been trained to respond to.

e-

Space-Bird posted:

I get the feeling that the people who like his stuff have seem to have little interest in actually reading whatever Dresden Codak is, but maybe just like the vague idea of Steam Punk :science: Science! Just seeing that he managed to get over 2k a month on a Patreon is kind of hard to wrap my head around.

I feel as though Dresden Codak is hitting a nerd niche in just the right way at the right time. It's like one of those early D&D comics or weirdo fetish comics where it's an under-served or previously unserved audiences that latched onto the first comparatively consistent comic of respectable quality. He's able to branch out into his "what-ifs" based on a competent knowledge of other nerd things that can build clickbait momentum like Tolkein, comics, classic Nintendo. Now that he has a following he's able to ride on years of established fans who are satisfied with whatever he puts out. Good on him for getting that lucky and being able to build a healthy business out of it, but I wish he'd still own up to his internalized sexism.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 26, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

fondue posted:

His patreon is three days old and already up to 2.5k, this isn't a far stretch of the imagination. I think I'd get ill if he made that much via patreon.

fools, money, the rapid parting thereof, etc

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah, it's an identity thing, and (as is very clear on the internet, especially lately) people will do anything to defend something that they identify with, and put up with anything from it.

On the other hand, people will attack identified targets to shore up their own identities to an amazing degree.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
There is a particular type of nerd out there who is willing to go to pretty stupid lengths to feel smart and well informed about speculative technology. Look up the Less Wrong thread if you want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes. I'm betting a decent portion of these people are also DC fans.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
huh. something is actually happening in QC for once.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Why are people being more mad about dresden codak compared to moon over june, as far as bad web comics go?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Grognan posted:

Why are people being more mad about dresden codak compared to moon over june, as far as bad web comics go?

Because one of them pretends to be good.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

DC also could be good if Diaz would just take his head out of his rear end, and maybe spend some of the obscene amounts of money he's getting for free on an editor/manager.

MOJ, on the other hand, would need to ditch its author, its artist, its premise, and its target audience.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Grognan posted:

Because the publisher used to jump into every thread anytime MoJ was mentioned and poo poo things up to a ridiculous level.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Grognan posted:

probably because viewing MoJ evokes physical revulsion and everyone tries their best to avoid any contact with it. (see: Likpa)

also because diaz is a big baby that keeps throwing twitter tantrums

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I don't recall Moon over June claiming to not do a thing while doing it all over the place.

I mean,

A big flaming stink posted:

viewing MoJ evokes physical revulsion and everyone tries their best to avoid any contact with it.
so it may have done so, but if so I don't know about it.

• Locked thread