Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Atmus posted:

Do state/city laws count? Because it's going to be a decent sized list if so.

Kind of ruins the narrative of the Feds putting on a show just to trick people into accepting them trampling our civil liberties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Whiteycar posted:

I also enjoy the slow change in status updates from reasonable political opinions (or none at all) to anything that has a slight chance of harming my child must die a horrible death.

Also suddenly turning super conservative when it comes to tax dollars. Literally like 80% of the people I know who became parents went down this path. Super weird.

I'm lucky in that most of my friends are older and have kids who are at least teenagers at this point. I can only think of two that had kids in the past couple of years, one posts boring photos constantly and the other's kid is convinced their border collie is his brother and basically lives like the dog does :3: Also his name is Vlad and he's awesome.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Krispy Kareem posted:

People often become conservative as they age, have babies, and buy houses and watch all their disposable income go to diapers. Not that weird.

Not to mention being surprised by a new tax bracket when you and your new spouse file joint income taxes together for the first time.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

It's the last sentence of this that kills me. Courts are not where science is proved or disproved. The anti-vax people are literally using the exact same tactics as the Young Earth Creationist assholes: "If a judge decides in our favor, it means we're right and the mountains of evidence against us are all wrong". I guess it's no surprise that people who hate science also hate the scientific process, though.

...and I just realized that the phrase "mountains of evidence" in reference to the Creation/Evolution debate isn't entirely metaphoric. Forums are social media, right? I can be an idiot too!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Goosed it. posted:

But probably a bunch of the experts are mums too. How do you reconcile that? Is it a reverse instance of, "the only moral abortion is my abortion"?

I don't really know because I personally don't think like that. My guess is either they don't think about it hard enough to realize this. It could also be that they assume either scientists are terrible parents or never reproduce because they're just so cold-hearted and logical. :v:

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I think Bill Bailey said it best:

Bill Bailey posted:

There’s this one celebrity, Rosie O’Donnell, a talk show host, and she said this: “I don’t know anything about Afghanistan, but I know it’s full of terrorists, speaking as a mother.” So what is this "speaking as a mother" then? Is that a euphemism for "talking out of my arse"? "Suspending rational thought for a moment"? As a rational human being, Al-Qaeda are a loose association of psychopathic zealots who could be rounded up with a sustained police investigation. But speaking as a parent, they’re all eight foot tall, they’ve got lasers under their moustaches, a huge eye in their foreheads and the only way to kill them is to NUKE every country that hasn’t sent us a Christmas card in the the last 20 years!! "Speaking as a mother".

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

quote:

Oh my gods, the goddesses healing circle was amazing, just what I needed... Now no to be pissed off as FRAK today.... Clam down!!!

Phone posting, but that just made me laugh so hard.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

robotsinmyhead posted:

The plot thickens! One of the OP's close friends was actually at Sandy Hook that day, somehow.

disgonbegood.gif

Please keep us updated. I want to see this infowars idiot destroyed.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Kimmalah posted:

I don't really know because I personally don't think like that. My guess is either they don't think about it hard enough to realize this. It could also be that they assume either scientists are terrible parents or never reproduce because they're just so cold-hearted and logical. :v:

Motherhood is odd in how it's judged or perceived. For some reason you can say stupid poo poo 'as a mother' that wouldn't fly if spoken 'as a neighbor'. It invites an emotional response rather than an analytical one and can shout down criticism because, "you don't know what it's like!"

It's like those scam ads where a stay-at-home mom discovers one simple trick to blast belly fat or cure cancer. An ad that said, "guy next door discovers one simple trick" wouldn't get as many ad-clicks. You trust a mom more and value what they say, even if an awful lot of them are really terrible.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

The girl who said "salute like a loving man" ended up liking my ex-wife comment :downs:

edit: I've never been married.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

Motherhood is odd in how it's judged or perceived. For some reason you can say stupid poo poo 'as a mother' that wouldn't fly if spoken 'as a neighbor'. It invites an emotional response rather than an analytical one and can shout down criticism because, "you don't know what it's like!"

It's like those scam ads where a stay-at-home mom discovers one simple trick to blast belly fat or cure cancer. An ad that said, "guy next door discovers one simple trick" wouldn't get as many ad-clicks. You trust a mom more and value what they say, even if an awful lot of them are really terrible.

Yeah those ads were actually what I was thinking of originally. But I guess they don't work well for me because my mother considers the whole "as a mother" thing to be a load of poo poo (unless it's something that actually has to do with the experience of parenthood directly). She kind of butted heads with one of those "mommies know best" people and because of that they apparently assumed she couldn't possibly have kids of her own until they met me.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

"Author, artist, old-school cyberpunk."

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Kimmalah posted:

Yeah those ads were actually what I was thinking of originally. But I guess they don't work well for me because my mother considers the whole "as a mother" thing to be a load of poo poo (unless it's something that actually has to do with the experience of parenthood directly). She kind of butted heads with one of those "mommies know best" people and because of that they apparently assumed she couldn't possibly have kids of her own until they met me.

Well as a father I can tell you that my kid is dumb as poo poo and has not given me any amazing insights or secret knowledge. I checked with my wife and she couldn't give me a quick solution to the israel/palestine conflict so I guess she didn't absorb the solutions to everything either. Maybe we just don't love our kid enough :(

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

The girl who said "salute like a loving man" ended up liking my ex-wife comment :downs:

Why, why, why not "tell that to your mom." Why? These opportunities come along so sparsely.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

KoldPT posted:

I don't think I've ever seen quite that level of point-missing. It's like...Super Point-Missing Level Infinity. And even if the two messages were in conflict, it's not like literally every other civil rights movement hasn't had conflicting opinions from spokespeople official or otherwise.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

:byodame: All are troops are heroes and everyone everywhere should salute all of them all the time

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Stoatbringer posted:

:byodame: All are troops are heroes and everyone everywhere should salute all of them all the time

"Salute my dick you loving corporal." - every officer ever.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

KoldPT posted:

"Women are useless, helpless trophies to be fought over and claimed" equals "A single demographic cannot easily enact change for the better unless other demographics aid in that change". :downs:

Willfully ignorant.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Huntersoninski posted:

Why, why, why not "tell that to your mom." Why? These opportunities come along so sparsely.

Gonna go jump off a bridge now. :doh:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Shai-Hulud posted:

Well as a father I can tell you that my kid is dumb as poo poo and has not given me any amazing insights or secret knowledge. I checked with my wife and she couldn't give me a quick solution to the israel/palestine conflict so I guess she didn't absorb the solutions to everything either. Maybe we just don't love our kid enough :(

I'm sorry, guess you need to have another kid and try again.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I don't think I've ever seen quite that level of point-missing. It's like...Super Point-Missing Level Infinity. And even if the two messages were in conflict, it's not like literally every other civil rights movement hasn't had conflicting opinions from spokespeople official or otherwise.

I love people like this. It's like they live in a completely different bizarro dimension and somehow I'm receiving messages from some other reality. :v:

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Everyone else is pointing out the obvious things wrong with that image so I'll nitpick it. Doublethought never appears anywhere in 1984. Only doublespeak. Every good pseudointellectual should check that the thing your quoting is actually in the work.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

ThatPazuzu posted:

Everyone else is pointing out the obvious things wrong with that image so I'll nitpick it. Doublethought never appears anywhere in 1984. Only doublespeak. Every good pseudointellectual should check that the thing your quoting is actually in the work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublethink

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Yeah seriously. It's practically the central theme of the whole book

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Goddamn it, I got it backwards. Doublespeak is the one that doesn't happen in the book.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

You should reply with this Bojack Horseman clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTr60WYjNM4 and watch them melt. Down.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

13Pandora13 posted:

You should reply with this Bojack Horseman clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTr60WYjNM4 and watch them melt. Down.

As a former troop I can testify that a lot of troops are jerks.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Chomp8645 posted:

As a former troop I can testify that a lot of troops are jerks.

As a current troop I can testify that a lot of troops are jerks.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kuroyama posted:

As a current troop I can testify that a lot of troops are jerks.

The startling truth is that ARE TROOPS are just like any other group of people on this planet. Some are cool, some are jerks. Some are smart, some are dumb. Some are liberal, some are conservative.

What is sad is that a cartoon horse understands this but the American public does not.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

ThatPazuzu posted:

Goddamn it, I got it backwards. Doublespeak is the one that doesn't happen in the book.

Nope, doublespeak or the specific "duckspeaking" is mentioned explicitly at one point. It's sounding like you're saying one thing when you're actually saying another, duckspeaking is sounding like you're saying something when actually you're saying nothing.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Nope, doublespeak or the specific "duckspeaking" is mentioned explicitly at one point. It's sounding like you're saying one thing when you're actually saying another, duckspeaking is sounding like you're saying something when actually you're saying nothing.

Duckspeak is more like you're saying something when you're thinking nothing. It's not a more specific version of doublespeak, and doublespeak itself does not appear in 1984 (though it is thematically consistent with it).

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

13Pandora13 posted:

This horse is very wise and I support him in his campaign run for 2016.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I think the whole President salutegate thing is hilarious. The ancient tradition of the enlisted is to salute officers when it is inconvenience is alive and well, and even those poor idiots get to play along in public.
If loving with Officers while saluting is a hobby, those dudes are pro as gently caress.

Cuniculous
Apr 23, 2007

kill people burn shit fuck school

:downs:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Hoooly poo poo, I can't imagine raising your child as an atheist and not explaining how rude it is to say stuff like that. I mean, having to conform to that sort of stuff also sucks, but I was never actually expected to say the pledge if I didn't want anyway.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

I fully agree that the pledge of allegiance should be removed from schools, but not for the same reason. Children are forced to learn the drat thing without being able to fully grasp the concept of "allegiance". It's just something they rattle off because they're told to. By the time their minds are developed enough to "get it", they're no longer forced to do it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Hoooly poo poo, I can't imagine raising your child as an atheist and not explaining how rude it is to say stuff like that. I mean, having to conform to that sort of stuff also sucks, but I was never actually expected to say the pledge if I didn't want anyway.

I totally can. I unfortunately known a ton of the super smug "lol you believe in an invisible sky wizard smuggity smug smug" style atheists, who see absolutely nothing rude, condescending, or just downright mean about acting that way to people. I can easily see them teaching their kids to be that way.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

This actually makes me really sad because I had untreated adhd for my entire childhood and much of adulthood. While I ended up ok in school just by the skin of my teeth, if my parents had actually taken me to a doctor and gotten me help I could have actually probably had a chance to be way more productive and make use of my education to go in a direction I wanted instead of feeling like I just ended up here because I couldn't do what I needed to, ever.
I feel like this is the psychiatric version of an antivaccine idiot, they might actually be ruining their kids life through their ignorance.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Grrl Anachronism posted:

A goon made it to parody all the 'Share and you will find money!' images idiots circulate on fb, posted it there, and now idiots on facebook are circulating it unironically after goons upload it.

nippythefish posted:

I fully agree that the pledge of allegiance should be removed from schools, but not for the same reason. Children are forced to learn the drat thing without being able to fully grasp the concept of "allegiance". It's just something they rattle off because they're told to. By the time their minds are developed enough to "get it", they're no longer forced to do it.

Pretty much this, nips.

Dusty Baker 2 has a new favorite as of 11:13 on Sep 26, 2014

VidaGrey
Mar 19, 2009

The more I see of men, the more I like dogs.

The parents might be horrible militant atheists but a lot of times kids really don't have a filter either. Also, they are tiny sociopaths. I wasn't raised anything but was put on the spot at a really young age (maybe 5 or 6) because I didn't know who or what God/Jesus was. My rebuttal was "Jesus sounds duummbb!" :saddowns: and then to go home only to have nightmares about burning in hell and the end of times :j:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

bulletsponge13 posted:

Please keep us updated. I want to see this infowars idiot destroyed.

It actually kind of fell off. The OP claimed he wasn't familiar with InfoWars and didn't realize they were who they are.

His thread went on for some time though, and a disturbing amount of people kept commenting about how it was "refreshing to see someone doing their own research" (?) instead of just believing that lying, conniving media.

He basically ended the comment thread with something along the lines of "Well, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle."

• Locked thread