Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

Can't say, not having played it, but I get the sense it becomes a boilerplate revenge story before long. I don't think any of the reviews are particularly spergin on the lore aspects.

They must not have gotten to the ending. :unsmigghh::respek::laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

Do they hate the story because of LotR :qq: or because it's just generally poorly put together and told?

Man, I'm certainly interested in the game and I don't give a gently caress about Lord of the Rings poo poo so if they're just being spergnerds about how some elf never spoke to some lame dwarf in the canon books then it totally works for me.

And, yeah, the movement in the videos seemed pretty darn fun. I'm not an autist reactionary purist when it comes to such things.

Mostly seems to be indifference toward where the plot ends up. Which is fair, it's a LotR video game.

And in the interest of fairness, I should note Destructoid gave it a 6/10 score out of line with the rest of the industry. Shocking.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Realtalk though it's no better than 5/10 because you can't play a dwarf :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

Mostly seems to be indifference toward where the plot ends up. Which is fair, it's a LotR video game.

And in the interest of fairness, I should note Destructoid gave it a 6/10 score out of line with the rest of the industry. Shocking.

Maaaaan. Better than Thief, at least, I suppose. That Destructoid review seems pretty fair, I'd say.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

I've seen a bit of whinging about the controls; apparently riding carabors is finicky, and sometimes the parkour leaves him a bit stuck on environmental detritus, that sort of thing.

Had no idea the game was like this. Finally watched a gameplay video and I am sold. Thanks for the indirect recommendation!

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Does anybody have any idea of whether there's going to be an autumn sale this year? I feel the need to my add to my already ridiculous backlog with games that I will probably never play.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Bubz posted:

Does anybody have any idea of whether there's going to be an autumn sale this year? I feel the need to my add to my already ridiculous backlog with games that I will probably never play.

There has been the last 3 years, so there is a good chance. It has generally been close to Halloween.

Edit: Actually I think it was closer to the end of November. Halloween had a mini sale on zombie games and such.

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 26, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ragequit posted:

Had no idea the game was like this. Finally watched a gameplay video and I am sold. Thanks for the indirect recommendation!

Uh... you're welcome? :v:

I only even noticed the game before now because I misclicked on the thread title. "Oh another LotR license game, poo poo as usual :rolleyes:" was the reason I skipped the thread at first.

Probably a good thing I did, 'cos the hype beast struck hard once I saw it!

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Ragequit posted:

There has been the last 3 years, so there is a good chance. It has generally been close to Halloween.

Edit: Actually I think it was closer to the end of November. Halloween had a mini sale on zombie games and such.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. They decided the gap between the Halloween sale and the Christmas sale was too big so a november sale was added to fill the gap.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Does anyone know what happened to Roaming Fortress and its devs? The game was greenlit back in October 2013, they had the game pretty much done and ported it to Windows and Mac (it looks stunning in HD and is very fun), but they just disappeared off the face of the earth. Are the devs even alive at this point? Because this morbid silence is worrying.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
This looks amusing Viscera Cleanup Detail

You're a space janitor having to clean up a space station after the hero has defeated the aliens.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Riso posted:

You're a space janitor having to clean up a space station after the hero has defeated the aliens.

There's a Xmas version and a Shadow Warrior version, and after 30 minutes of exploring the levels the novelty wears off and you realize there's no point in trying to clean for anything other then an achievement. Most of the reviews are joke reviews anyways, and the gameply looks just as stale and boring as the Xmas/SW examples.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

pentyne posted:

There's a Xmas version and a Shadow Warrior version, and after 30 minutes of exploring the levels the novelty wears off and you realize there's no point in trying to clean for anything other then an achievement. Most of the reviews are joke reviews anyways, and the gameply looks just as stale and boring as the Xmas/SW examples.

Most of the game is loving around in the world and piecing together the details, though I've only played the Xmas one and there aren't all that many details in that one, honestly. It can be fun to gently caress around in that world though, and I think that's why there's multiplayer. My only real complaint for the Xmas one is that the level is too small, so you can only really explore so much.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Metal Gear Rising Revengence for $7.50: http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/metal-gear-rising-revengeance/113375

Also I finished Far Cry 3, that ending was... uhhh hahahaha

Also to the person talking about Ether One, the puzzles involve the broken projectors. If you see a broken projector there's a puzzle nearby to solve. If you haven't seen any, you probably haven't gotten far enough into the game yet.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Quest For Glory II posted:

Also I finished Far Cry 3, that ending was... uhhh hahahaha

Which ending did you get? The binary choice they give you is awful and the ending I got felt utterly detached from both the character's personality and the entire series of events of the entire game, but apparently it was the GOOD ending - Jason decides there is more to him than being a killer and leaves the island with his brother and friends.

The other ending sounds utterly hilarious and somehow even worse - Jason murders his brother and friends, then while having sex with his island waifu she stabs him to death and tells him she'll raise their kid to be the ultimate warrior or something.

The game itself is so much fun to play, but goddamn that story is lovely.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah I watched the alt ending and scratched my head. There were a lot of logic gaps in the story that made no sense. But the game itself was a lot of fun. Way more fun than Blood Dragon hoo boy.

After I finish ACIV Black Flag and start on Splinter Cell Blacklist, I think I'll be out of big budget games. It's getting me looking forward to 2015.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 26, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I used Home Sharing to try out my roommate's Bioshock Infinite last November but stopped after 2 hours. I never did play any more of it, but I just finished watching a 4 hour movie that keeps everything from the game relevant to the story i.e. everything except the fighting. Great story, for sure, but I'm surprised I was never spoilered on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f4_cdwdbns

The most popular movie, by far, doesn't even include all the Voxophone audio logs. How would it even work? It seems like you get more than half of the backstory from them.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Orv posted:

They all solidly praise the Nemesis system and all roundly hate the story. So, what we were hoping for, I guess.
Like, worse than Far Cry 3/Watch Dogs story or just bitching it's not an epic that will last the ages like Mass Effect?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Josh Lyman posted:

I used Home Sharing to try out my roommate's Bioshock Infinite last November but stopped after 2 hours. I never did play any more of it, but I just finished watching a 4 hour movie that keeps everything from the game relevant to the story i.e. everything except the fighting. Great story, for sure, but I'm surprised I was never spoilered on it.

The most popular movie, by far, doesn't even include all the Voxophone audio logs. How would it even work? It seems like you get more than half of the backstory from them.

I've done this a few times. Injustice: Gods Among Us was perfect for this, as it's actually better than the DC Animated movies that have been coming out lately. Like, a lot better. I really like the movie format that some people try to do. I prefer my LPs to be of either the wordless variety (like the movies) or extensive background info and trivia with amusing commentary (ChipCheezum)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Josh Lyman posted:

If there's something worse than experiencing Bioshock Infinite's story it's watching a 4 hour movie made out of it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Josh Lyman posted:

That just means it's more authentic to the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Riso posted:

It's a very chill game, even considering you're just a janitor cleaning up someone else's discarded gore.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Palpek posted:

If there's something worse than experiencing Bioshock Infinite's story it's watching a 4 hour movie made out of it.

The game and its story are fun to explore and experience at the least in a single playthrough, but watching it as some sort movie would be unbearable.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Bioshock Infinite did not have a very good story. You could have saved three and a half hours just by checking out all the cool old-type cover versions of modern songs that were in the game on YouTube and boom you'd have experienced everything good about it.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Does anyone here have an opinion on Worlds of Magic? On first glance, it seems like it's finally the Master of Magic game everyone has been waiting for the last decade. But whenever I check this thread, people don't seem to mention it at all, and there's no dedicated thread in Games about it, either. Both of those are usually a bad sign.

Buy/Not buy?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Freak Futanari posted:

Bioshock Infinite did not have a very good story. You could have saved three and a half hours just by checking out all the cool old-type cover versions of modern songs that were in the game on YouTube and boom you'd have experienced everything good about it.

I didn't say good, I said it was fun to experience, like a bad movie or book that you blow through in one sitting because you can't believe what it keeps doing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The first half hour or so of Bioshock Infinite is really loving good in terms of atmosphere and art design and stuff.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I'm not going to be back to check in until tomorrow, but if anyone wants to 4pack slip Beat the Dragon let me know, for $6 I'm willing to bite.

I can buy (tomorrow) if we have a couple ppl interested, http://steamcommunity.com/id/minifigs/

just gonna bump this once for a last interest check
Beat the Dragon 4 pack split
-Arnie (can buy)
-markgreyam
- [your name here]
- [your name here]

If we get a third I'm pulling the trigger, post here or msg me on Steam

markgreyam posted:

e: I'm up for that.

k cool, sorry I didn't get back to you on Steam last night I was half asleep auto-clicking in Civ waiting for my cold medicine to help me sleep :saddowns:

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

pentyne posted:

I didn't say good, I said it was fun to experience, like a bad movie or book that you blow through in one sitting because you can't believe what it keeps doing.

I agree, and to go further I think the backlash is harsher than the game deserves. There are a lot valid criticisms of the plot, but I found the presentation and pacing to be superb. You know how there's a part where you're in a small amusement park, with 2D cutouts popping up as narration and sound effects set the mood? The game is a modern version of that. It's a thrill ride. It's super evocative, so long as you don't stop to look around too closely.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Gimmick Account posted:

Does anyone here have an opinion on Worlds of Magic? On first glance, it seems like it's finally the Master of Magic game everyone has been waiting for the last decade. But whenever I check this thread, people don't seem to mention it at all, and there's no dedicated thread in Games about it, either. Both of those are usually a bad sign.

Buy/Not buy?

I haven't played it myself, but I think someone or some ppl from this thread did some of the voice work and the general consensus was "fun game eventually but a lot still in the works, no need to rush into buying it."

Haven't played it myself, tho

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

I'll go in on that, let's do this.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I agree, and to go further I think the backlash is harsher than the game deserves.
I think it's partly a backlash to the pre-release hype and post-release praise it got. It's definitely an over-reaction and will swing back again at some point.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Blattdorf posted:

Does anyone know what happened to Roaming Fortress and its devs? The game was greenlit back in October 2013, they had the game pretty much done and ported it to Windows and Mac (it looks stunning in HD and is very fun), but they just disappeared off the face of the earth. Are the devs even alive at this point? Because this morbid silence is worrying.

Man I didn't know about this game and now I'm said that it looks like it'll never be finished.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Palpek posted:

Holy hell this looks really great. Also welp I guess I'll have to upgrade my machine before playing.

It still looks pretty drat good on low settings. The game does seem to be a bit short, but otherwise it's a lot of fun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone know what you need to complete the Railcar puzzle in Vanishing of Ethan Carter? I've found the rope, severed legs, and gas can, and moved the railcar, but I still seem to be unable to initiate the flashback.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anyone know what you need to complete the Railcar puzzle in Vanishing of Ethan Carter? I've found the rope, severed legs, and gas can, and moved the railcar, but I still seem to be unable to initiate the flashback.

As part of the puzzle?

Man this game just sounds better and better.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Continue down the tracks and you'll find a pile of trash with an indent where a rock was taken. Examine it, find the rock and return it to its original place.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Blattdorf posted:

My guess is their publisher saw some financial troubles. It was finished and is on Desura/GMG, and the developers have continued making games but without using the same publisher. The dev company looks like a standard work-to-spec mobile developer rather than a game company, so they probably stopped being involved with the game as soon as the code was gold.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

pentyne posted:

As part of the puzzle?

Man this game just sounds better and better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js7dK3FZGg0
The puzzle is shown here (though not the solution).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

I'll take one please.

• Locked thread