Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
First thing is working out if it's an IC or an OC problem. From what you've said, it seems IC - the player isn't doing anything wrong, and he might have designed the character to deliberately take the party across 'the line' and explore what happens. On the other hand, if the rest of the group is against it, it's worth checking that he understands where the line is, and if you all have the same ideas on where the game is going.

Can we replace the thread with 'talk to them' in massive red font yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheSpookyDanger posted:

Talk to the person and explain the issues.

Yeah, just talk to him like an adult human being and say you want to play a different kind of game.

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
Is it bad form to teach players mechanics that you plan on being almost certainly obsolete later in the game?

Specifically, I'm considering putting together a PbP game of the OSR sci-fi game Stars Without Numbers. Now in the core books, starship travel is simple: you only spend fuel when you use the FTL drive and it takes a flat amount of time to reach pretty much anywhere in the solar system (modified by how fast you're going). The problem is that my notes start the characters out in a system that hasn't rediscovered the FTL drive yet; one of the supplements has rules for ships in those types of systems but they involved spending fuel points to accelerate, to flip around and decelerate, to do x and y, and furthermore travel in a solar system is cut into range bands.

Now, I don't think the pre-FTL ship mechanics are too hard for the players or anything like that, it just feels weird to me that I will be teaching them these slightly more granular mechanics and then later saying "these new ships don't use the old mechanics for fuel or range, it's actually super simple." Am I overthinking this since ultimately the players will be able to handle it anyways? Any thoughts are welcome!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KirbyJ posted:

Is it bad form to teach players mechanics that you plan on being almost certainly obsolete later in the game?

Specifically, I'm considering putting together a PbP game of the OSR sci-fi game Stars Without Numbers. Now in the core books, starship travel is simple: you only spend fuel when you use the FTL drive and it takes a flat amount of time to reach pretty much anywhere in the solar system (modified by how fast you're going). The problem is that my notes start the characters out in a system that hasn't rediscovered the FTL drive yet; one of the supplements has rules for ships in those types of systems but they involved spending fuel points to accelerate, to flip around and decelerate, to do x and y, and furthermore travel in a solar system is cut into range bands.

Now, I don't think the pre-FTL ship mechanics are too hard for the players or anything like that, it just feels weird to me that I will be teaching them these slightly more granular mechanics and then later saying "these new ships don't use the old mechanics for fuel or range, it's actually super simple." Am I overthinking this since ultimately the players will be able to handle it anyways? Any thoughts are welcome!

I think they'll be fine. If anything they'll love being able to drop the more complex mechanics in favor of simplifying it in-game.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

chitoryu12 posted:

I think they'll be fine. If anything they'll love being able to drop the more complex mechanics in favor of simplifying it in-game.

If you play it right, they'll see it (rightly) as a massive power boost and game-changer. Make getting that FTL drive something special.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I'm running a 13th age wild west game, and I'm planning out a possible train robbery scenario, where bandits are attacking from outside the train and I thought it'd be neat to give a one-time ability to one of the bandits of throwing a stick of dynamite.

Their normal ranged attack is +7 vs. AC - 6 damage.

The new ability I'm working on is:

R: Dynamite (1/battle Escalation is 2): +7 vs. AC - 12 damage, and all nearby target. Target may make a dex check. 15+ takes 1/2 damage. Nat 18+ throw back (make an attack roll). Second target don't get any saves.

Does this make sense, is it too swingy? Does this make the character 2nd level instead of 1st? Pointlessly weak, because most likely will only hit 1 and do normal damage anyway? (Though I guess pointlessly weak is better than overly strong).

I'm definitely only going to give this to one enemy out of the group, so there won't be a ton of dynamite flying! :P

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Use natural saves and 16+s.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Also you should add an environmental effect to initiative for the train; roll a die whenever it comes around to see if some dramatic train thing happens and have players react appropriately using backgrounds or whatever

enter a tunnel
low hanging trees
shifting tracks
bridge
etc

If the robbers/posse have an ambush/patrol set up ahead you could base that off escalation or a certain round number
And/or if you want to be less abstract you could map out the tracks and have the train advance each round

Jackard fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 17, 2014

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Maybe make it so if they gently caress up the dynamite thing they can wreck the train - forcing them to make a dramatic leap while the train careens off a bridge / cliff / whatever into a river or whatnot.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Golden Bee posted:

Use natural saves and 16+s.

I'm not sure what you mean by natural saves.

Jackard posted:

Also you should add an environmental effect to initiative for the train; roll a die whenever it comes around to see if some dramatic train thing happens and have players react appropriately using backgrounds or whatever

enter a tunnel
low hanging trees
shifting tracks
bridge
etc

If the robbers/posse have an ambush/patrol set up ahead you could base that off escalation or a certain round number
And/or if you want to be less abstract you could map out the tracks and have the train advance each round

I really like this idea, if the bandits actually get onto the train. Espeiclaly if one of the PCs descides to climb on top of the train.

VanSandman posted:

Maybe make it so if they gently caress up the dynamite thing they can wreck the train - forcing them to make a dramatic leap while the train careens off a bridge / cliff / whatever into a river or whatnot.

Well, I don't want anything quite so dramatic, just something to give as little more "flavor" to the encounter.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I suggest every explosion bumps the Explode-alation Die, which is a D4 that sits next to the Escalation Die and functions nearly identically. Except:
- It only goes up on explosions
- everybody benefits from it

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Whoops I totally thought this was the 13th Age thread

Well, that idea should be feasible no matter what system. Exploder Die is great too.

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013
I like to play a lot of nWoD, and get a kick out of making the setting a city that actually exists. Does anyone know good online resources for histories of American cities? Or on the culture of specfic cities?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Anyone know a good mechanic for a combat encounter where an enemy splits in two upon being hit, and keeps splitting further, until there's an overwhelming army (at which point some sort of win condition would come in)? I want to have my players meet the Sorcerer's Apprentice. Technically D&D 4E, but I'll take approaches from other systems.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
My copy of the Monster Vault is still in storage, but I think one of the oozes does a splitting gimmick. Ochre Jelly? 13th Age's Ochre Jelly is the splitting one, but it can only split once.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Upon reflection what I really need is a good win condition. I can think of loads of ways to handle it but if there was something tried and true out there, that'd be great.

My ideas so far are:
- no HP tracking, enemy simply splits on every hit until the nth generation
- remaining HP get redistributed with every split
- no real HP tracking but on each hit the enemy splits, split creatures have half the HP, death occurs when damage done in one hit > HP
- regular enemies, saving throw or similar on death where failure = die and success = split
- the saving throw thing but with every generation there's a penalty

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Start with a huge creature, splits into two large creatures when bloodied, splits into four minions when killed.

It's probably going to be a kind of long encounter though. And shouldn't be just the one.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
If you have an elite that splits into two standards when bloodied, which each split into four minions when bloodied, then you're effectively using half an elite, half of two standards, and eight minions; since an elite is worth twice as many xp as a standard and a standard four times as many do as a minion, that comes to two elites' worth of xp.

The difficulty you'll find is that the encounter won't come to much of a climax; it ends with the PCs mopping up a bunch of minions which isn't that exciting. A better solution might just be to have a solo which keeps on spawning minions as it takes damage.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Do it backwards. Start with a mob of minions, and each time one is killed, it goes dormant until another one of the same "evolution" dies, at which point they join and upgrade. Then the combat ramps up in difficulty, as well the pace quickening as the fight proceeds. As long as you start with a power of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, etc) everything'll join up into one mega monster.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Going to be running an introductory adventure for that Numenera system in a few days, and I asked in the appropriate thread but...well, it's not super lively. Any advice for running it? In fact, it's been a long, long time since I've run a pre-built adventure, so advice for doing that would also be appreciated - ways I should prepare beyond reading and re-reading it, things I should do while playing, things to look out for when running a new system, etc.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Start with a huge creature, splits into two large creatures when bloodied, splits into four minions when killed.

It's probably going to be a kind of long encounter though.

If you keep the defences more or less the same, and you calculate the the total "encounter HP" correctly starting from a solo, it should last the same amount of time as a solo fight. In fact, it should be quicker, as the more the creature splits, the more vulnerable it becomes to area attacks.

Whybird posted:

The difficulty you'll find is that the encounter won't come to much of a climax; it ends with the PCs mopping up a bunch of minions which isn't that exciting. A better solution might just be to have a solo which keeps on spawning minions as it takes damage.

That sounds like a good idea, will definitely try it at some point.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
:negative: It's like impossible for me to set a mood in the game I'm running, but I'm not gonna try to do anything about it. I've read enough of this thread to pretty much know that this is just the way my group manifests the elusive "fun having". Any time I start to go into any kind of prepared exposition, I get the player character equivalent of "spamming the B button to make the text go faster".

I think they enjoy the part of the game that's, "see how the GM reacts to our decisions and weird schemes", but it's super hard for me to get a read on whether they care at all about the plot. Like, they're super happy to engage with the situation I give them as kind of a puzzle to crack, but they don't give a flying gently caress about why it's happening or what the stakes are in the fiction.

I can think of worse gaming situations, but it's kind of frustrating to deal with as a GM, when I start to go into exposition mode and everybody immediately launches into a 10-minute tangent before I finish like the third sentence. It's really difficult to establish a worthwhile antagonist if, despite all the hosed up things they keep learning about him, they still don't actually care about what he's capable of doing.

I dunno. I'm mostly just venting here. I wonder if I should just change the style of the game to more of a "kick in the door" sort of thing, since nobody really seems to follow the investigation-type hooks I throw out there.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

:negative: It's like impossible for me to set a mood in the game I'm running, but I'm not gonna try to do anything about it. I've read enough of this thread to pretty much know that this is just the way my group manifests the elusive "fun having". Any time I start to go into any kind of prepared exposition, I get the player character equivalent of "spamming the B button to make the text go faster".

I think they enjoy the part of the game that's, "see how the GM reacts to our decisions and weird schemes", but it's super hard for me to get a read on whether they care at all about the plot. Like, they're super happy to engage with the situation I give them as kind of a puzzle to crack, but they don't give a flying gently caress about why it's happening or what the stakes are in the fiction.

I can think of worse gaming situations, but it's kind of frustrating to deal with as a GM, when I start to go into exposition mode and everybody immediately launches into a 10-minute tangent before I finish like the third sentence. It's really difficult to establish a worthwhile antagonist if, despite all the hosed up things they keep learning about him, they still don't actually care about what he's capable of doing.

I dunno. I'm mostly just venting here. I wonder if I should just change the style of the game to more of a "kick in the door" sort of thing, since nobody really seems to follow the investigation-type hooks I throw out there.

If you are willing to do "kick in the door" or they are willing to do investigation, then cool -- do the thing everybody is on board with!. You have to talk about it, though, and if you don't want the campaign they want and they don't want yours, you can either quit now gracefully or in a huff later.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

homullus posted:

If you are willing to do "kick in the door" or they are willing to do investigation, then cool -- do the thing everybody is on board with!. You have to talk about it, though, and if you don't want the campaign they want and they don't want yours, you can either quit now gracefully or in a huff later.

Yeah, I'm willing to adapt. It's just hard to get a read on the situation. They really like following the breadcrumbs and Getting The Thing, but they usually don't end up actually caring what The Thing is, or why they decided to get it. I can't tell if it's just because the narrative doesn't largely matter to them across the board and they just want to roll some dice, or if my particular narrative just happens to be super uninteresting :shobon:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, I'm willing to adapt. It's just hard to get a read on the situation. They really like following the breadcrumbs and Getting The Thing, but they usually don't end up actually caring what The Thing is, or why they decided to get it. I can't tell if it's just because the narrative doesn't largely matter to them across the board and they just want to roll some dice, or if my particular narrative just happens to be super uninteresting :shobon:

The quickest way to find the answer to that question is to ask them.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Do what I (plan to) do and just throw Saturday Morning Cartoon Villains at them. They visit a village, which is harassed by a group of bandits. Their leader is an rear end in a top hat, that's his entire motivation. Later they are targeted by an assassin. They killed the assassin's boyfriend, that's her entire motivation. Make the villains interesting not by having an intricate backstory, but by being as flamboyant as possible. The bandit leader has a mechanical right arm! The Assassin is half devil and her head is perpetually on fire!

That's perfectly ok if you ask me. TRPG players, especially new ones, already spend most of their cognitive capacity dealling with things like base attack bonuses and grappling rules and goblin HP and other poo poo that has nothing to do with the story, and even lifting their heads out of the books the first and foremost thing they are going to care about is their character. Having the villains be just a foil for their characters to defeat and feel awesome is fine, they need no more depth than that. Having the macguffin be just a navigation mark for the plot is equally fine. It's not about them preferring "kick in the door" gameplay to whatever literary masterpiece you prepared for them, it's about making the plot easy enough to explain to a person who is currently doing his math homework while playing with an action figure at the same time.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Run Saturday morning cartoons, then dangle plot threads that tweak the clichés (is the baddy really the baddie! if the goodie actually a baddie!) and see if they bite. If they do you can develop it further, otherwise you can let it drop.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

deadly_pudding posted:

Well one, ask your group about it, not some goons who don't know your friends. With that done, I'd suggest adopting an "action movie" kind of atmosphere for the game. Your BBEG can be the vilest dick in the world still, and then your players can have fun and be cool when they boot in the door to his lair and start wasting dudes. At least that sounds like what they'd be down for.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 31, 2017

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

50 Foot Ant posted:

This is pretty much the best way to do it.

That and Saturday morning cartoons.

IT WAS OLD MAN WIGGINS!

Pretty much the mode I'm shifting into lol. It's a FATE campaign, which is why I was trying to get the group to take some narrative reigns in the first place, but I think I've got it into a pretty good position for tonal shift.

The next session is gonna be pretty action-y and a bit of a dungeon crawl, and will provide a good jumping-off point for whenever the party decides to try and attack the villain's base of operations. Unfortunately, they're already pretty hosed up from the last few conflicts, because the dice have been mean and my players are super stingy with their Fate Tokens. I'm gonna ask the group if they want to re-frame the current Scenario to end when they solve or escape their current predicament in order to knock off a lot of their standing Consequences, and then we can hash out how they want to go from there.

Anyway, I'm feeling more optimistic about the situation than I was before. I still wish one of them would read the FATE SRD :unsmith:

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 31, 2017

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

50 Foot Ant posted:

Unless the party is hired by a little known magician to help protect his secrets, build things, guard his equipment, and try to take out his rivals.

This sounds like a hell of a Dungeon World campaign.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm too cheap for miniatures, but I figure what I could do instead is print out some character illustrations and mount them on cardstock. Are there any resources I can draw on for doing this, such as for the pictures themselves and how large the "counters" should be?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Before you stick with "I'm too cheap for minis" I'll just say that my local gaming shop has a bargain bin of minis that are like $1-$3 each. Maybe you have something similar by you?

I don't know about resources for illustrations specifically. When I did something similar, though, I tried making DIY standups using wine corks cut in half. Worked out alright.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Sep 26, 2014

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

My only advice is that if you don't want to shell out money for "real" miniatures, you should at least try to be as consistent as possible with your solution. Having a battlefield consisting of three cardboard adventurers on plastic stands, 10 goblins represented by coins, an iphone for a horse and an actual miniature for Greg's character because it was the only one who could capture the nuance of Torg the Barbarian, it will end up very jarring.

Back in college, we used coins for minis, which ended up costing as little as a penny.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I bring a little lunchbox with me to every gaming session which contains:

• index cards
  • wet erase markers
  • a shitload of glass pebbles
  • a pile of 1-inch cardboard squares

The cardboard squares are all labeled with letters, and have an arrow on one side to indicate facing. I use those for all my miniatures needs. Players can supply their own mini for their character if they want.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'll look into it, but I'm not in the States, so we have like one gaming shop here for the entire city and everything's rather expensive.

Apparently people also use things like army man figures, Lego minifigs (this seems promising if I can get them cheap), and even the odd die to represent positioning, so I guess I have options. Definitely going to make/buy enough to fill out a party + all the monsters to keep things consistent.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm too cheap for miniatures, but I figure what I could do instead is print out some character illustrations and mount them on cardstock. Are there any resources I can draw on for doing this, such as for the pictures themselves and how large the "counters" should be?
If you have a lot of time and are willing to spend 20-30 dollars, follow this guide to make tokens that you can combine with magnets and a magnetic dry-erase board.

http://blog.maragnus.com/post/44298806692/dm-tokens

I ignored the bit about cork/glue and bought adhesive printer paper instead. Will upload photos later.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Also, before committing to any physical solution, have you tried any software that can emulate a tabletop? I started our campaign playing on a physical table with handmade tokens (bad ones), but when we tried Maptool on a whim, the players loved it. Now we switched to Masterplan, and I don't think we are going back to physical tokens any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rexides posted:

Also, before committing to any physical solution, have you tried any software that can emulate a tabletop? I started our campaign playing on a physical table with handmade tokens (bad ones), but when we tried Maptool on a whim, the players loved it. Now we switched to Masterplan, and I don't think we are going back to physical tokens any time soon.

There are for face-to-face games, and not all of us have laptops, that's why I'm looking at physical objects.

Jackard posted:

If you have a lot of time and are willing to spend 20-30 dollars, follow this guide to make tokens that you can combine with magnets and a magnetic dry-erase board.

http://blog.maragnus.com/post/44298806692/dm-tokens

I ignored the bit about cork/glue and bought adhesive printer paper instead. Will upload photos later.

This is interesting, thanks!