Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

EC posted:

Growing up as a fan of Stephen King made me read his books during the early 2000s, where every mentally challenged kid can fix the magic/alien/mystical thing that's Wrong With Everything.
Hey now, be fair, sometimes it's a mentally challenged adult!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

BexGu posted:

If you feel you got a side in this fight take it to the gamegate thread. I'm sure Kewpuh doesn't want to deal with this thread becoming Game's hidden GamerGate hideout.

You should probably start reporting people.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The things nerds find "unpleasant" with Leigh Alexander are generally direct answers to the disgusting poo poo she and other women have to deal with because they're women on the internet who don't fold under pressure and dare to have distinctive, even aggressive voices. She's a cool person who writes cool things, so good job being a part of the problem.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Isn't being a mean, abrasive dick something goons usually approve of?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So how about whatever dumb thing Ryckert inevitably vomited out into this week's Bombast eh guys?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

TetsuoTW posted:

So how about whatever dumb thing Ryckert inevitably vomited out into this week's Bombast eh guys?

You mean how he wants to have a kid because if he ever gets bored with it and it's too hard to deal with he can just drop it off at a fire station?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

TetsuoTW posted:

Last week he ground up Ryan's dead body and ate all the rotten meat while everyone else made weird spooky noises with their mouths for three hours, you're missing out on the renaissance of Giant Bomb.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

EC posted:

Growing up as a fan of Stephen King made me read his books during the early 2000s, where every mentally challenged kid can fix the magic/alien/mystical thing that's Wrong With Everything.
Oh man, didn't anyone ever tell you how the pain-killers after the minivan ruined the quality of the rest of what he wrote? No more "Apt Pupil" and "Rage" and "Long Walk" and "Cujo," suddenly it's all about monumental battles between good and evil, or about getting arthritic and remembering old baseball games.

As if 'World As Myth' was anything like original when you spring it a few books into a series, 30 years after Heinlein got tired of it, the autism/aspergers/disabled characters aren't even something new, just something he's consistently fallen back on for 20+ years.,

I still recall that fateful evening when I turned a page in "Wolves of the Calla" and saw a hand-painted picture of Doctor Doom and went :dawkins101: - it was certainly way after I'd decided King got a little farther out there on the drugs than people really thought (Insomnia, anyone? :catdrugs: )

Al! posted:

You mean how he wants to have a kid because if he ever gets bored with it and it's too hard to deal with he can just drop it off at a fire station?
loving amazing. He spent so much of the episode coming across as a normal, reasonable, and intelligent adult human, too! And then just flat into, "I put 3x the butter the recipe calls for into mac and cheese because I push my boundaries when I cook - did you know you can drop off a baby at the fire station when you get bored with them? Pretty rad huh? I'd like to have a kid (for a while.)"

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 26, 2014

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

Dan Ryckert is not the Icarus of Mac and Cheese.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Roobanguy posted:

Dan Ryckert is not the Icarus of Mac and Cheese.
I would argue that he literally is the Icarus of Mac and Cheese. Every time he makes mac and cheese, he takes those (fat-based) wings a little bit higher, yet has no idea of the science behind the wings or how to make them when they're not given to him from a figure of authority - he just fucks with the ratio and hopes to not have a buttsplosion.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Last couple weeks of game podcasts aren't very good, for some reason. Even Idle Thumbs just ain't hittin' the mark for me these days. I'm listening to the old 1UP Retronauts, and Leigh Alexander's Lo-Fi Let's Plays on YouTube, in spite of her being a figure that divides goonpinions. And Greg Proops, he doesn't talk about video games, but he is funny (which Giant Bomb definitely does not sound like it is at all in any way).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, boring dull ol' Giant Bomb, man, they're just a bunch of humorless unfun chumps, am I right fellas

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, boring dull ol' Giant Bomb, man, they're just a bunch of humorless unfun chumps, am I right fellas
Sorry people not sharing your opinion on comedy irks you so much apparently.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He hasn't even given them a try yet apparently, so how would he know?

GOD, it just IRKS me so much, Tetsuooooo

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
People seem to be pretty down on Giantbomb lately for some reason...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Why are you so down on everyone collectively raising our level of mutual discourse to be above that of Giantbomb? Would that not be a utopia? :crossarms:

:laugh:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Dan Ryckert is an astonishing human being whose very existence has forced me to completely reconsider what a human being even is.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My favorite description of what Dan ryckert is is he is an escaped incomplete vat grown person

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

My favorite description of what Dan ryckert is is he is an escaped incomplete vat grown person

That would be pretty adequate if it weren't for his old man. That both answers and provokes a lot of questions.

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014

doctorfrog posted:

Last couple weeks of game podcasts aren't very good, for some reason. Even Idle Thumbs just ain't hittin' the mark for me these days. I'm listening to the old 1UP Retronauts, and Leigh Alexander's Lo-Fi Let's Plays on YouTube, in spite of her being a figure that divides goonpinions. And Greg Proops, he doesn't talk about video games, but he is funny (which Giant Bomb definitely does not sound like it is at all in any way).

for me, crate and crowbar never missed a mark, by far the best gaming podcast (alongside idlethumbs) imo. those guys are funny, insightful and intelligent human beans. i appreciate their honest opinions and occasional profanity, makes conversation seem more natural (compared to something like PC gamer US podcast, oh god can those guys be more boring. god forbid you say gently caress on occasiona or reveal your actual emotions)

also ludonarrative dissonance drinking game

add me to the crowd of giantbomb podcast rotation removers. very rarely those guys gaming experiences and interests (theyre console gamers) overlapped with mine. but at least had personalities i liked (mainly vinny).

Gesadt fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 26, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Much as I love vinny, drew's fresh perspective on things and topics nobody else in the crew follow alongside dan's utterly baffling existence, gave GB a different but still great style. Although it will never be like the golden age of ryan/jeff/vinny/brad/patrick, it is still a fantastic podcast most of the time. Brad is also a great host rather than sitting silently on his phone the majority of the show. Jeff has seemed pretty bitter and unhappy/unsatisfied by much lately probably because he has been going through some serious poo poo lately, as he announced that his father passed away last week. Can't really blame him for not enjoying a whole lot recently, if his dad was losing a battle with cancer or something, since he has been in and out of the hospital for the last few years.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 26, 2014

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

he announced that his father passed away last week. Can't really blame him for not enjoying a whole lot recently, if his dad was losing a battle with cancer or something, since he has been in and out of the hospital for the last few years.

Jesus.

Jeff's had a pretty rough couple of years. First Ryan, then his dad. Then there's also both Patrick and Vinny moving away. Don't know how close he was to those two but he's had four pretty major people in his life die or move away. That's rough as hell.

I've never been one to hate on Jeff for being down and critical of as much as he is, but even if you are, you'd have to give him a pass if this is why he's been that way lately.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Gesadt posted:

for me, crate and crowbar never missed a mark, by far the best gaming podcast (alongside idlethumbs) imo. those guys are funny, insightful and intelligent human beans. i appreciate their honest opinions and occasional profanity, makes conversation seem more natural (compared to something like PC gamer US podcast, oh god can those guys be more boring. god forbid you say gently caress on occasiona or reveal your actual emotions)

Now that you mention it, I listened to one of their podcasts a couple weeks ago, and it was a good conversation. Also, I like beans.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Gesadt posted:

In related news, the Rock Paper Shotcast is back this week! (Though it appears to now be more boringly named the Rock Paper Podcast)

This week it's Jim Rossignol, John Walker and the forever-podcasting Graham Smith, talking about PC gaming stuff as you might expect.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I feel shallow asking, but is there a point when Crate & Crowbar stops sounding like it's recorded with a single extremely sensitive microphone?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I feel shallow asking, but is there a point when Crate & Crowbar stops sounding like it's recorded with a single extremely sensitive microphone?

It gets better but their equipment is no where near the pro quality that other pocasts have. I usually just listen to it when I'm cooking or some thing quiet so I don't have to have it too loud.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Speaking of, this week's Crate & Crowbar had an annoying buzzing/ringing in the background so I had to switch over to Daft Souls when I realized I hadn't listened to it yet either.

I've also been digging Spawn On Me for a different take on games and junk.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

No, unfortunately. I listen with headphones on and for some reason it sounds like they're all gathered around a toilet, with the mic resting at the very bottom.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I think we have just been spoiled by podcasts being produced with virtually professional equipment these days. I remember back when I first started listening they sounded awful.

That said I'm sure they could use a few constructive pointers to get the best out of what ever equipment they use.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Does TotalBiscuit really sustain that big of a following? I thought he was just the brit who did murloc voices. I knew he had a bunch of videos but hearing Thumbs talk about how he's the #1 channel on Steam etc is kind of surprising, it comes across like he's the Joe Rogan/Adam Corolla of video game podcasts/videos.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

coyo7e posted:

Does TotalBiscuit really sustain that big of a following? I thought he was just the brit who did murloc voices. I knew he had a bunch of videos but hearing Thumbs talk about how he's the #1 channel on Steam etc is kind of surprising, it comes across like he's the Joe Rogan/Adam Corolla of video game podcasts/videos.

He's got a couple million subs on Youtube and is part of a network that (I think) got bought by Disney recently. Dude's pretty big.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Not having "Professional equipment" I.E. having a decent mic and learning how to filter through a program is no excuse honestly. It's so incredibly cheap to sound decent unless your budget is less than 100 bucks.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
He also has a pretty sizeable reddit following because any time a big controversy comes up he releases the type of video that panders to those idiots and reinforces all their opinions about how this particular thing really is The Worst.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I wish I didn't hate the videogames industry so much because I would like to listen to idleThumbs and GB again. But I just can't take all the inside baseball because it all makes me so disgusted.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Wasn't he the one who made that bad post about atheism or something on here?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

The very same.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Stan Taylor posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2634792 (Comedy Gas Chamber, no archives access needed)
You are a richer man not having read that.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Good lord, he makes even worse digressions than me.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Mierenneuker posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2634792 (Comedy Gas Chamber, no archives access needed)
You are a richer man not having read that.

Hahaha, yesssss. People take this man and his opinions seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
TotalBiscuit is a total dipshit. He thinks it's important to police what the word "game" means so that "non-games" don't take over, he insists his video game review videos are not video game reviews and that they thus should not be held to the sorts of ethical standards he thinks other video game reviews should be held to, and so on.

If you buy a Blue Yeti microphone on sale and download Audacity, you can make a perfectly professional sounding podcast even if your budget is below $100. I never really had an issue with bad audio quality until I started listening to podcasts on an iPod instead of on my computer - since I'm doing stuff like cooking while listening to the podcast, and because my earbuds aren't the greatest, it's a little annoying to have unclear audio. And there's really no excuse unless your budget is basically zero.

• Locked thread