Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

greatn posted:

I hope Lucy lawless character really is dead and doesn't come back. Death is already a revolving door in MCU if you're a named good guy. The show is more interesting if there are life and death stakes.

They'll probably just magi-clone a new Lucy Lawless from the hand clutching the artifact. Some poor sap (or Ward) is forced to hold it as well and turns to dust as she grows back.

Hail Madame Hydra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CeeJee posted:

They'll probably just magi-clone a new Lucy Lawless from the hand clutching the artifact. Some poor sap (or Ward) is forced to hold it as well and turns to dust as she grows back.

Hail Madame Hydra

poo poo this makes so much sense especially with certain characters that we know are going to be showing up. I hope it is Ward, but him thinking that its a way to get on the teams good side, but since you know crazy and Nazi science it backfires.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

I'm tipping some kind of thermite tape, which may or may not exist. Thermite's original use was for welding stuff, and there different types of thermite for different things. Never seen or heard of anyone actually using a tape based thermite, probably work of a self lighting magnesium ribbon.

I've never seen it or heard of it working in construction over 20 years

That's 'cause you weren't a Howling Commando, son :clint:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
How in the everloving gently caress did dull-as-dishwater AoS manage to successfully pull off the Imaginary Friend fake-out? I can't believe how solid the premiere was on every level. The Absorbing Man was done perfectly.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Slamhound posted:

How in the everloving gently caress did dull-as-dishwater AoS manage to successfully pull off the Imaginary Friend fake-out?
It's weird. I realized what was up with Simmons before her first scene was even over, but I have no idea why I thought that at the time. I was so sure of it, and turned out to be right, but looking back I don't see any reason for jumping to that conclusion.

This is coming from the guy who didn't figure out Bruce Willis was dead until they actually revealed that fact near the end of Sixth Sense, and then laughed from the reveal until halfway through the credits because I was so amused that I I fell for it then.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bullshit, no one saw that coming

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Rocksicles posted:

Honestly I think my brain was going "Hmm, what's the most Whedon move to pull right now?"

No matter when you caught on, Fitz's acting was just goddamn heartbreaking there.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I thought something was weird with the Fitz and Simmons scenes but never would have guessed it.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
I clued in early by how often he grabbed her hand. It's weird, but it struck me purely as 'off' and had me wondering if she was even there.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't know how prevalent the whole "secretly a head-ghost" thing is throughout TV world (I seem to recall BSG and Heroes playing with it periodically?), but it is in fact a Very Whedon Thing that's been splattered throughout his shows. Giles spent an entire stretch of season 7 not touching anyone or anything just to misdirect the audience into thinking that maybe he's the Big Bad (he wasn't). If you've gotten acclimated to Whedon tropes through the years, it's not out of the question to have at least considered Simmons being an illusion throughout the episode.

:v: I mean, I didn't, but that's cuz I don't pay attention to that stuff. They actually pulled a pretty competent slight-of-hand here by making you focus on Fitz's behavior, instead of Simmons'.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 26, 2014

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I kind of hope Whitehall is the old school "drain the life out of people to stay young" immortal. That's always a fun villain to see.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Slamhound posted:

How in the everloving gently caress did dull-as-dishwater AoS manage to successfully pull off the Imaginary Friend fake-out? I can't believe how solid the premiere was on every level. The Absorbing Man was done perfectly.

Not sure if you've missed the thread but the show had one of the most dramatic quality spikes I've seen in years in the last part of the first season.

And a lot of the stuff you groaned at actually got kind of flipped on it's head. I think re-watching some of the lame episodes would actually be more amusing now with plot knowledge.

ED: Also I agree, that is a rad as hell villain.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 26, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So am I the only one that liked this show from the start and just assumed all this stuff was going somewhere?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

The Sharmat posted:

So am I the only one that liked this show from the start and just assumed all this stuff was going somewhere?

No, I liked it even when I felt it wasn't living up to its potential. I had to stop reading the thread for about 14 episodes because it was so drat negative, though.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I clued in early by how often he grabbed her hand. It's weird, but it struck me purely as 'off' and had me wondering if she was even there.

I figured we were being setup for Simmons to be bumping ugliest with the Triplett (or whoever, the late season add-on that was getting Fitz all jealous), and them hiding it from Fitz since he's so fragile.

This was much better.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

Kruller posted:

No, I liked it even when I felt it wasn't living up to its potential. I had to stop reading the thread for about 14 episodes because it was so drat negative, though.

Thirded. People loved to talk about how poo poo it supposedly was, but I enjoyed it from the start. I absolutely thought it needed work in a bunch of areas, but I was convinced it would lead somewhere - never expected the HYDRA reveal though.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Personally, I thought the first season was garbage.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Blazing Ownager posted:

And a lot of the stuff you groaned at actually got kind of flipped on it's head. I think re-watching some of the lame episodes would actually be more amusing now with plot knowledge.

I just finished re-watching season 1, and this is very much true. You can count all the nods to ward being HYDRA, but you'll need more than 10 fingers.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah. Just because it was building towards something doesn't mean that something was worth the build up. Personally, I thought season 1's payoff didn't make up for the 21 episodes of pure poo poo I had to sit through to get to it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The fact that certain elements of the show "led somewhere" after fourteen or fifteen episodes didn't stop the show from being frustratingly, avoidably lovely before that point, nor does it excuse that fact.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Coulson and Fury having a casual chat while being shot at, with Fury straight up appearing from nowhere was such lovely loving directing it soured me on the finale.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

PriorMarcus posted:

Coulson and Fury having a casual chat while being shot at, with Fury straight up appearing from nowhere was such lovely loving directing it soured me on the finale.

It's a television show based on superhero comic books. If that scene wasn't your cup of tea, then the show just might not be for you.

(And they did kinda set it up with Simmons telling Fury where to find Coulson)

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I will never understand how anyone can sit through 20 plus episodes of a show they don't even like.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fury kind of just does that stuff.

He also pulls a giant gun out of his trenchcoat.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I liked it. Wasn't great or anything but I never really hated any episode and was always entertained. I even liked Skye the whole time even though everyone hates her.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

JT Smiley posted:

I will never understand how anyone can sit through 20 plus episodes of a show they don't even like.

Because of The Winter Soldier. And it proofed right. Also, maybe we should stop focusing on the last season and simply embrace the second one, since we seem to all agree that it was a pretty great premier.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

e X posted:

Because of The Winter Soldier. And it proofed right. Also, maybe we should stop focusing on the last season and simply embrace the second one, since we seem to all agree that it was a pretty great premier.

But Winter Soldier came out almost eight months after the show had already started. I don't begrudge anyone for sticking through the show if they didn't like it, I just don't get it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

gannyGrabber posted:

I just finished re-watching season 1, and this is very much true. You can count all the nods to ward being HYDRA, but you'll need more than 10 fingers.

I gave up on it after a few episodes, and then went back and binged it after seeing Winter Soldier and yeah, a lot of stuff made a ton more sense with plot knowledge. They really went all out on it.

Really good first episode this season too, hope they can keep it up.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I liked Skye in the first season, and so far she seems better this year. It's good to have her as an actual agent and in the field, and also not falling for Ward.

But this episode also really make me like Crazy Eyes Ward too. I hope he gets forced into field work with the team.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Codependent Poster posted:

I liked Skye in the first season, and so far she seems better this year. It's good to have her as an actual agent and in the field, and also not falling for Ward.

But this episode also really make me like Crazy Eyes Ward too. I hope he gets forced into field work with the team.

I know a lot of people don't like Skye, but as long as she maintains her hatred for Ward I like her. Is it bad that I like a character on a show solely because they are having a realistic response to a murderer (aka wanting to have nothing to do with them)?

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I think they finally gave the character something the actress can really work with. I really felt like I was getting the creepy-crawlies right along with her during that whole scene.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

imperialparadox posted:

I know a lot of people don't like Skye, but as long as she maintains her hatred for Ward I like her. Is it bad that I like a character on a show solely because they are having a realistic response to a murderer (aka wanting to have nothing to do with them)?

I... want to say no? But then again, (and if there isn't this flair to start, there should be) :whedon:.

If there's one good thing that Whedon's good at, it's once he's done with all the establishing crap, he's really good at getting deep into his characters' brains and poking around with electrodes and seeing what makes them tick.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 26, 2014

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

imperialparadox posted:

I hope not, but her revulsion towards Ward was the best thing she's done.

PriorMarcus posted:

This is pretty much samjacksonfury.txt, though. He is wherever he wants to be, and does whatever he wants to do.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

it was pretty apparent to me from the first scene of them together where mai doesn't even acknowledge Simmons.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

OB_Juan posted:

I hope not, but her revulsion towards Ward was the best thing she's done.

Skye I just wanted to tell you about..

*slams door*

your father.

Skye, before you cut me off last time I just wanted to say..

*Skye gives Ward the finger and walks away*

your father is alive.

Skye, it just so happens that I know where..

*Skye plugs her ears and goes "LALALALALALA"*

your father is.

Of course, Coulsen and May, who have a live feed to Ward's cell, will never actually tell Skye what Ward said.

Marvel's Agents with Poor Communication Skills

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm also tickled by the woman who was hired because she possessed world class Facebooking skills suddenly becoming SHIELD's best agent overnight. You know, despite the fact that her one and only solo mission last season involved her being instantly captured and mortally shot by the bad guy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Irish Joe posted:

I'm also tickled by the woman who was hired because she possessed world class Facebooking skills suddenly becoming SHIELD's best agent overnight. You know, despite the fact that her one and only solo mission last season involved her being instantly captured and mortally shot by the bad guy.

She has not been presented in any way by any character as their best agent. If anything right now they're showing her as a competent rookie agent.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Also, it hasn't been overnight. Hasn't some large quantity of months passed between the seasons? Don't remember how many, tried looking it up and can't find it.

King Burgundy fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 26, 2014

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Not to mention an entire character arc in the first season which specifically centered on making her more useful by having her train to be an agent. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Her skills are also better than "world class facebooking skill". Coulson recruited her because she was such a competent hacker.

• Locked thread