Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Lethrom posted:

I've been sorta interested in getting a dedicated audio setup for a while, and I noticed that the OP specifically mentions receivers instead of stand alone amps. Is there any reason (other than cost) why springing for a standalone amplifier is a bad idea, then maybe getting a separate tuner later?

I'm specifically looking at a Yamaha CA-810 or Pioneer SA-8500II.

If you've got the space and/or don't plan on listening to radio right away/don't care about radio, there's no reason why not. Not having to deal with the tuner components means it's a little easier to work inside the amp. At least to access stuff, usually. But tuners can be freaking huge when you're talking about this stuff, so if you move a lot or just don't have a ton of room for your stereo, a receiver might make more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I don't think the use of receiver in the OP specifically and intentionally implies an amp with a built in AM/FM receiver. Some people use the words interchangeably, is all I think is happening.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Availability is a key factor in vintage audio too. If you're an audiophile Yahoo with big bucks to spend, buy whatever you want. If you're a thrift store shopper, don't turn down a good deal on either set-up.

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000
Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude.

Lethrom posted:

I've been sorta interested in getting a dedicated audio setup for a while, and I noticed that the OP specifically mentions receivers instead of stand alone amps. Is there any reason (other than cost) why springing for a standalone amplifier is a bad idea, then maybe getting a separate tuner later?

I'm specifically looking at a Yamaha CA-810 or Pioneer SA-8500II.
An integrated amplifier is just a receiver minus tuner, so for stereo the Yamaha or Pioneer would be a great choice. The Yamaha in particular is making my mouth water. A true standalone (aka discrete) amplifier generally has only one input for each channel and no tone controls, often not even a volume control.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I have a CA-810, it's a nice sounding unit, I've been pairing them up with some JBL Decade 26s. I'll be selling it soon since I got too much stuff right now.

Also I like integrated amps a lot better than separates, takes up less space.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm assuming you tried replacing the tubes before selling it...

My boss sent it to his repair guy, who couldn't do repairs on it, or said it's beyond his ability to repair, or something like that. I'm the eBay guy where I work, so up it went!

Apparently it's the rare overseas version of the 800c, with dual-voltage capability and a pretty two-tone faceplate.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TooLShack posted:

I have a CA-810, it's a nice sounding unit, I've been pairing them up with some JBL Decade 26s. I'll be selling it soon since I got too much stuff right now.

Also I like integrated amps a lot better than separates, takes up less space.

Basically the only two reasons for running separate preamps and power amps are if you're using active speakers and/or you're running a theater or live setup that requires big power.

For hifi usage, it's completely pointless.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KozmoNaut posted:

For hifi usage, it's completely pointless.

Not necessarily. If you're running high-current speakers like magneplanars or electrostatics- or even a lot of 4ohm cone speakers- then separates are historically a more economical option to get good performance out of them. The alternative is paying for a receiver that's burly enough, which is usually at the high end of the price scale.

Hell, even some 120+ WPC "monster" receivers from the classic era will shut down if you try to run Maggies with them.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
Google tells me that the Yamaha DDP-1, a Dolby digital processor made as an accessory for Laserdisc players, can be tricked into AC-3 mode by way of the service menu allowing it to be used as a fairly high quality DAC in combination with a CD player. Now this may be a really stupid question and even a pointless exercise, but if I were to do such a thing and instead hook it up to my computer by way of optical would that also work in a similar fashion? Because I don't have a whole lot of qualms about dropping ~$50 on this if it gets me a better result than a Y cable going from the onboard sound to my thrift store vintage audio setup.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Jadius posted:

Google tells me that the Yamaha DDP-1, a Dolby digital processor made as an accessory for Laserdisc players, can be tricked into AC-3 mode by way of the service menu allowing it to be used as a fairly high quality DAC in combination with a CD player. Now this may be a really stupid question and even a pointless exercise, but if I were to do such a thing and instead hook it up to my computer by way of optical would that also work in a similar fashion? Because I don't have a whole lot of qualms about dropping ~$50 on this if it gets me a better result than a Y cable going from the onboard sound to my thrift store vintage audio setup.

A Fiio D3 is only $30 and sounds like less of a hassle.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The D3 was gonna be my suggestion too. Just make sure it's the D03K Taishan (3rd generation D3), as the previous ones had issues that were fixed in this model.

If you look for it on Amazon by the "FiiO D03K Taishan" moniker it should be quite easy to find.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 23, 2014

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

eddiewalker posted:

A Fiio D3 is only $30 and sounds like less of a hassle.

Whoa, yeah that is a much better option. I didn't know that a good new DAC could be had for so little. Plus it's tiny and can be hidden just about anywhere, so one less really 90s looking stereo component to clutter things up. My living room and I thank you.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jadius posted:

Whoa, yeah that is a much better option. I didn't know that a good new DAC could be had for so little. Plus it's tiny and can be hidden just about anywhere, so one less really 90s looking stereo component to clutter things up. My living room and I thank you.

I have been absolutely 100% satisfied with my D3. Inexpensive, solid-feeling build quality, very easy to hide behind the stereo.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
My girlfriend's dad gave us this today when I mentioned that I was looking for a vintage turntable. It actually doesn't come with a turntable, he donated that to Goodwill already, but it looks like a good setup. Am I right in thinking that the SU-A6MK2 works as the receiver? What turntable do you guys think would looks/perform well with this setup?

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000
Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude.

jet sanchEz posted:

Am I right in thinking that the SU-A6MK2 works as the receiver?

Yes, you have a true separates system, and the SU-A6MK2 is your source selector / preamp.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
First thing is thank your girlfriends Dad, the amp alone is worth a grand. Man those needles are awesome.

To use your turntable with this you need to have the Control amp and the power amp connected to each other. Then use the phono input to plug whatever turntable you want into it. Since you already got some nice technics equipment, might as well get a nice turntable to go with it. I think a Technics SL M2 would be a great match for that set up.

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000
Or browse the (German) Technics catalogs: http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/technics/hifi.shtml
The SL-D202 looks pretty good, unfortunately all of the 80's era black style Technics tables seem to be rather sparse on eBay.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Dude posted:

Or browse the (German) Technics catalogs: http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/technics/hifi.shtml
The SL-D202 looks pretty good, unfortunately all of the 80's era black style Technics tables seem to be rather sparse on eBay.

A black Japanese sl 1200 would look pretty sweet with that setup. Would also cost a mortgage payment, but you know.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
A black SL1210 would be around the same price as a 1200 if you want to go the all-black Technics route.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I've seen black SL1210's (basically the same turntable as a 1200 with a switch to accommodate American and European power) in the low to mid-hundreds. Hardly a mortgage payment.

In fact, I think I saw some black Mk 3 1200s on Craigslist for about $400 a pop some weeks ago so they're definitely out there.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

The SL1210 also has an improved pitch slider. The SL1200's one would get inaccurate around the center dent after intensive use for DJ'ing.

Those tables still have slightly inflated prices because they are iconic among DJs. My dad has a nice quartz controlled, direct drive Technics turntable without pitch control, that is otherwise pretty much the same thing, with the same arm and everything and I just can't remember the model number :sigh:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I haven't seriously been into hi-fi since the early 00's, when I had a tidy little NAD/B&W system. I haven't had the space or budget for a legit 2-channel listening system for some time, but now I do and I'm feeling very out of the loop with regards to products worth scoping out.

My goals for the system is something with modest size but great full-range sound that can fill a decent sized carpeted bedroom. Budget is, say, $1500-2500 USD, for everything. I can devote some money to SOME room treatments, but nothing like acoustic foam. Maybe curtains and bass traps if necessary.

My current primary source is an old Squeezebox Classic digital transport type device. Everything else would need to be purchased. I'm totally fine with used gear suggestions, and in fact am more interested in used than new, as I feel you get way more for the money. Stuff I'd want:

- integrated amplifier, preferably with a great phono stage. A built in DAC would be cool, but that can also be separate.
- DAC, if not included in the integrated. A good headphone output would be ideal, but not essential, as my good headphones live at work.
- smaller size mostly-full-range tower speakers. I have a set of old Paradigm Monitor 7's in the living room for my home theater and they are probably larger than I'd like in the second room. Bookshelf speakers are an option, but after buying good stands they end up being the same size or even larger, I think. I don't want a subwoofer.
- turntable and cartridge (this is less important, as I have a turntable in the living room and generally prefer the ease of digital)

I listen to a wide variety of music including electronic, indie rock, metal, hip-hop, and singer/songwriter stuff. I value a smooth refined sound over overly detailed and "analytical" (audiophile buzzwords etc).

So basically that's it. An integrated amp, a DAC if necessary, and speakers that can get down low without being huge. Super huge sound isn't that important, but I'd like it to sound great of course. Again, I'd be glad to go used and get slightly older gear for less money.

Thanks in advance.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Those tables still have slightly inflated prices because they are iconic among DJs.

It's more than the iconic status among DJs- although that's probably most of it. HiFi enthusiasts have been in love with the 1200 for decades.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 25, 2014

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

ShaneB posted:

So basically that's it. An integrated amp, a DAC if necessary, and speakers that can get down low without being huge. Super huge sound isn't that important, but I'd like it to sound great of course. Again, I'd be glad to go used and get slightly older gear for less money.

They're new, but the Yamaha line of integrated amps fits your requirements, including a phono stage and DAC (but not USB in the lower models):

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/

I'm having a harder time thinking about what floorstanders might be physically smaller than your Paradigms and still sound good. The only thing I can come up with offhand is the Totem Arro, which can be found used for around $700-800. Depending on the room/placement and music choice, though, they might need a subwoofer.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It's more than the iconic status among DJs- although that's probably most of it. HiFi enthusiasts have been in love with the 1200 for decades.
Well, it's a more than decent turntable.

My point was going to be that something like an SL-Q202 was going to be a chunk cheaper because there weren't any DJs lusting after it, but it's moot, because I'm not seeing a single one on Ebay, never mind a black one.

It's the quartz clocked version of the SL-D202, obviating the need for any form of manual pitch control. Excellent thing and I'll hang on to it with my dear life once my father finally lets go of it. He's wavering.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

So I've decided to get into vinyl. I like vintage stuff and especially enjoy repairing electronics, so this seemed kind of up my alley.

Anyways, I found a Kenwood M1 amplifier at Goodwill the other day for only $12. Bought the companion C1 pre-amp to go with it off of eBay (which was a bit more expensive, $70). Unfortunately it arrived with the phono input not working. I may be able to repair it, but if not I'll just get another.

Anyways, it seems to be a really cool combination amp/pre-amp. Especially with these guides I found on AudioKarma about upgrading the internals and caps.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=609337
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=608332

I also managed to pick up a Technics SL-D303 at a Goodwill auction ($90). The buttons were a little gummed up, but opening the table up and doing some cleaning with rubbing alcohol did the trick. I'm still having an issue with the automatic tone arm mechanism not lowering automatically, but I'll get that figured out eventually (if anyone has any experience with this, any help is appreciated).

What I'm really curious about is a replacement stylus/cartridge. I'm really new to this so I'm not sure what would work with my turntable and would be good for the price. It currently has an AudioTechnica AT320.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

BiohazrD posted:

I'm still having an issue with the automatic tone arm mechanism not lowering automatically, but I'll get that figured out eventually (if anyone has any experience with this, any help is appreciated).

Most likely same issue you had with your buttons. The grease gets harder over the years. Every turntable I get I do a lube job on it. Take out all the old grease you can and replace it with phonolube or another type of plastic safe lube.

http://www.amazon.com/GC-Electronics-10-1223-PHONO-LUBRICANT/dp/B001DPM2NO

I love finding "broken" Technics turntables that I can get for dirt cheap because 99% of the time it's just a lube job and a deoxit on the pitch control fix.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I figured thats the case, but I'm having trouble finding the exact mechanism that needs to be cleaned. I have the service manual, and the tone arm movement disassembled, but I'm not sure where to go from here. Do you think you could help me out over PM/email?

How about this?

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-Plastic-Multi-Purpose-Precision-Lubricant/dp/B0013J41KW

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 26, 2014

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I use what is linked below first, it removes all the old grease and leaves a slightly lubricated surface. Then I follow up with the phonolube in my previous post for the long term lubrication.

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05074CA-Heavy-Silicone-Lubricant/dp/B000CCIDCS

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
After you've used a 1200 for a while, almost everything else feels like flimsy plastic junk.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ron Burgundy posted:

After you've used a 1200 for a while, almost everything else feels like flimsy plastic junk.

Unless you get a legit audiophile turntable. I owned a 1200, switched to a rega and haven't looked back in 15 years.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Quartz direct drive supremacy :cool:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dogen posted:

Quartz direct drive supremacy :cool:

I also love rumble

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
My daily driver is an idler. Capstan rumble is sweet sweet music.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
Updated setup! I finally managed to find a Yamaha CR-2020 for maximum 1970s goodness. I'm using the phono input on the amp rather than a separate phono preamp, couldn't see any reason not to and it removes one piece of equipment from the stack.

The CR-2020 is mint. Every knob and switch feels like it must have felt from the factory. Somebody obviously at once loved it and didn't use it. It drives my floorstanders without even breaking a sweat, according to the power meters.

Question: It's time to upgrade speakers next! What should I go for that's a good match with the amp?

Setup for now:

Technics SL-1200 Mk2
- Jelco 750D Tonearm
- Paul Hynes power supply
Yamaha CR-2020
Sonos Connect
Roth Audio OLi30 (ick)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That's a sick amp. I think you should track down a big pair of ADS speakers. 910's, specifically.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

ShaneB posted:

I also love rumble

That's not a thing on the 1200, or at least not caused by the motor directly

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
The thing with the 1200 is it was originally used as a broadcast turntable for radio stations. Its cousin, the SP10 is highly sought after. Being a broadcast turntable, it was subject to rigorous testing for total harmonic distortion, wow + flutter, rumble, etc. As such, Technics engineered an extremely good turntable for that environment with really good specs.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dogen posted:

That's not a thing on the 1200, or at least not caused by the motor directly

I'm just being ridiculous to be honest. But I do have a greater affection for silly belt-driven audiophile nonsense than the industrial-strength SL-1200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

ShaneB posted:

I'm just being ridiculous to be honest. But I do have a greater affection for silly belt-driven audiophile nonsense than the industrial-strength SL-1200.

I think we can all agree we are a bit silly for insisting on using decades old technology to enjoy music