Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
Has anyone in Euroland dealt with gigabyte directly for RMA business? I got a hd 7950 from a friend and the fans didn't spin up at all. After I took it out the case I noticed a resistor had burned out next to the fan plug on the card. Their support site tells me to go through the seller for all warranty questions but the thing is that the company I bought it from has been bankrupt for quite a while now. If all else fails I can do some retarded poo poo and hook up some fans to the motherboard and have them blowing on the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Ash1138 posted:

FYI, the MSI 970 with the Twin Frozr cooler doesn't quite fit in a Lian Li PC-V354 case. It's too tall. The power supply sits "above" the video card and one of the heat pipes prevents the power supply from sliding all the way into the case. Guess I'm moving up my plans for getting a new case!

Off topic case talk

I've given up on Lian Li as a current case maker. They were making great stuff since the PC-60 but they seemed to have stagnated. I have your case and I'll turn it into HTPC eventually for streaming. I'm giving my old PC-A04 to my brother. Not sure what to do with the PC-V360. It's an okay case just bad design when I think about it now. I learned my lesson with "power gaming" with mATX cases. There is just no room for airflow because wires are stuffed everywhere. I'm going with a Corsair Obsidian 450D next.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Wrap it up boys, the 980 is obsolete.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Hace posted:

That's why the bigger version with a 384-bit memory bus is in the pipeline 6GiB VRAM no doubt..

What game is that anyway?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Looks like Talion from Shadow of Mordor to me.

Hamburger Test posted:

Had a strange issue with MSI's 970. After couple of hours the VRM fan apparently went full tilt, only I don't think you can see the speed of it anywhere so I had to take the side off and inspect every fan to find out which one it was. It continued to spin at full speed even after a reboot and manually changing the speed in Afterburner. Only a complete shutdown managed to stop it. The main GPU fan was idle and all temperature readers from GPU, CPU and motherboard were in the mid 30s.

I hope this isn't going to be a recurring issue.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=183618.0
Looks like I'm not the only one

That's the MSI Gaming branded 970 on the most recent official driver.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 26, 2014

Loquitor
Dec 29, 2007
non res ipsa loquitor

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Google is hard, but here you go: http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Z97-vs-H97-What-is-the-Difference-562/

ASRock makes a bare-bones Z97 they designed for the G3258 Anniversary CPU that's about as cheap as you're going to find a Z97 board for: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157528

The downside is, it only has one graphics-capable PCIe 3.0 slot. =/

Hell, even the "Fata1ity" one has a PCIe 3.0 x16/PCIe 2.0 x4 setup.

Here's one with twin PCIe 3.0 slots (see below): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130775

And another: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130771

Also, bear in mind that in SLI/Crossfire, even the boards with twin PCIe 3.0 lanes are going to be running 2x8, not 2x16, and if you run cards in all ports (theoretically - since the lower card would probably block the bottom PCIe 2.0 slot), you'd be getting 1x8 + 2x4. They only claim they're x16 slots because they function that way when used singularly, and you'll probably never notice the difference - at present - between 2x8 and 2x16.

I had read that, however it flat out states that you can't Crossfire on the H97, but the ASrock H97 board specifically says Crossfire compatible. So its obviously wrong. From the review I linked to, it said that the second card in a crossfire setup would have lower bandwidth and that may be a problem - it didn't say it definitely would be a problem. Wanted to know if anyone had any wisdom with regards to that - ie. experience with crossfire on an H97 board - does the second card only run at 1xlane and does that make a difference?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
My guess is that on a "Crossfire-capable" H97 board, one card would run at x8, and the other probably at x4.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Any board that doesn't split the CPU lanes - and that includes every H97 board - gives one card running at PCIe 3.0 x16, and one card running at PCIe 2.0 x4. That is one card getting 1/8th the bandwidth of the other, and it will affect performance significantly at high resolutions, or even at lower resolutions in some titles.

The minimum PCIe bandwidth for negligible performance loss is PCIe 2.0 x8/PCIe 3.0 x4. These will be less than 5% of theoretical peak (x16 3.0 for both cards) in the worst case, and almost always less than 1% off.

CrossFire will tolerate an extreme PCIe mismatch like this. Unless you are dealing with very mismatched cards or even more of a PCIe deficit than 2.0 x4, you'll see some gains at least. It's SLI that flat-out refuses to configure if you don't give it at least 8 lanes per card (regardless of 3.0, 2.0, or even 1.0).

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Sep 26, 2014

Loquitor
Dec 29, 2007
non res ipsa loquitor

Factory Factory posted:

Any board that doesn't split the CPU lanes - and that includes every H97 board - gives one card running at PCIe 3.0 x16, and one card running at PCIe 2.0 x4. That is one card getting 1/8th the bandwidth of the other, and it will affect performance significantly at high resolutions, or even at lower resolutions in some titles.

The minimum PCIe bandwidth for negligible performance loss is PCIe 2.0 x8/PCIe 3.0 x4. These will be less than 5% of theoretical peak (x16 3.0 for both cards) in the worst case, and almost always less than 1% off.

CrossFire will tolerate an extreme PCIe mismatch like this. Unless you are dealing with very mismatched cards or even more of a PCIe deficit than 2.0 x4, you'll see some gains at least. It's SLI that flat-out refuses to configure if you don't give it at least 8 lanes per card (regardless of 3.0, 2.0, or even 1.0).

Thanks for quantifying the difference for me - looks like I'd better start comparing some Z97 boards.

Loquitor fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 26, 2014

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

MaxxBot posted:

I agree completely with the notion of desiring higher TDP CPUs than Intel currently produces but there are reasons beyond simple desire to save power and focus on mobile as to why the performance gains have been so meager lately. I made a post about this in the Intel thread that I'll paste here to provide some explanation. Disclaimer: I am not a real expert and there are people on this forum who know more about this than I do but I think it could be helpful to some people in understanding why building a faster desktop CPU and a faster desktop GPU is a fundamentally different engineering problem.

The vast majority of people these days probably don't need a more powerful computer than their smartphone to be honest, it's kind of pointless to even mention the average user in the context of SH/SC posters.

IMO, it really has less to do with technology than plain old business sense. Why bother pushing clocks and core counts up to overdeliver even more performance when a $60 SB Pentium 3-years ago already runs DOTA2 flawlessly much less Youtube or email. That already meets like 90% of users out there.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
So what is the big advantage of PhysX? I ran the PLA benchmark using my HD 7850 (1 GB, no less) and got well over 60 FPS on high and everything looked pretty good. PhysX was disabled, of course, but I guess that demo doesn't really make its benefit obvious.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
edit: ^^^https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rokcD0nh4I

Speaking of SLI and PCI-e lanes, I know that the Z97 mobos with 3 and 4 x16 3.0 slots are using PLX switch chips to get more lanes. I have read people say that these PLX chips add latency. Does anyone know how much latency? Are there any other compatibility issues or problems I should know about?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Would it be foolish to buy a GTX 770 right now? I don't need the latest and greatest, but I would like an upgrade from my 550 TI as games are starting to struggle even on low settings. I'm thinking timing mainly, already see them discounted on Amazon but are they likely to come down significantly with the 970 out?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MaxxBot posted:

The vast majority of people these days probably don't need a more powerful computer than their smartphone to be honest, it's kind of pointless to even mention the average user in the context of SH/SC posters.

Even most SH/SC users have trouble hitting CPU bottlenecks.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

go3 posted:

Even most SH/SC users have trouble hitting CPU bottlenecks.

You mean you don't encode video on the CPU while you play games? :v:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

HalloKitty posted:

You mean you don't encode video on the CPU while you play games? :v:

I have a separate computer for that :v:

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I used to transcode video to a PS3 while playing World of Warcraft on an i5 750 :v:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
So that big announcement from AMD yesterday was...a 285 for India? Wow that is taking the piss.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

The Gunslinger posted:

So that big announcement from AMD yesterday was...a 285 for India? Wow that is taking the piss.

I bet that's not what people had in mind when they sent AMD emails telling them to do the needful.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Panty Saluter posted:

So what is the big advantage of PhysX?

The only games where it really shows are the games that go overboard with it, like Borderlands 2. Still looks great without it, but with PhysX, all the elemental effects have crazy amounts of detail, like acid goop splashing and coalescing together.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Jan posted:

The only games where it really shows are the games that go overboard with it, like Borderlands 2. Still looks great without it, but with PhysX, all the elemental effects have crazy amounts of detail, like acid goop splashing and coalescing together.

Yeah, you don't get nearly the same kind of wow-factor doing (frankly more complicated) stuff like volumetric clouds instead of weighted sprites (or *insert preferred smoke/cloud asset here). But throw emitters of various kinds everywhere and it adds up, only really works in over-the-top settings for that. I am probably one of the very few people that really liked the use of PhysX in the original Metro 2033, because it was understated and fit the environment really well, and I had a coprocessor handling all the PhysX so I never had to deal with the massive performance hit for disproportionately little apparent PhysX in that game.

The Redux games do PhysX right too. I basically just dig the hell out of 4A studios' aesthetic judgments. But by definition, at the moment anyway, and for the foreseeable future, it would be really really hard to make PhysX an actual gameplay feature so it gets tacked on as a much less time- and resource-critical visual feature.

I still think CPU PhysX is a great API but that's kinda neither here nor there except that nVidia licenses it out just the same.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

CheeseSpawn posted:

Off topic case talk

I've given up on Lian Li as a current case maker. They were making great stuff since the PC-60 but they seemed to have stagnated. I have your case and I'll turn it into HTPC eventually for streaming. I'm giving my old PC-A04 to my brother. Not sure what to do with the PC-V360. It's an okay case just bad design when I think about it now. I learned my lesson with "power gaming" with mATX cases. There is just no room for airflow because wires are stuffed everywhere. I'm going with a Corsair Obsidian 450D next.
Yeah I'm in the same place with Lian Li. They are gorgeous cases with some really convenient features and whenever my friends throw a LAN party I'm reminded of how little they weigh, but performance-wise they're not very good. I decided to go with the SilverStone TJ08B-E.

With regards to the 970, I threw my Skyrim install at it and even with a fairly demanding ENB preset, 2k texture packs, and 100+ mods of crap it was pulling 50-55 FPS at 1920x1200. Diablo 3 still drops down into the 20's in multiplayer when there's a bunch of stuff on the screen (as opposed to single digits with the 670), so I'm sure there's some other bottleneck somewhere. Tomb Raider stayed right around 60 FPS with everything at ultra except SSAO and depth of field (both set to normal I think) plus 2x SSAA. Mass Effect 2 is a solid 60 even with 4x transparency supersampling. Tonight I can give Rome 2, Star Citizen, Assassin's Creed 4, and The Witcher 2 a go.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Berious posted:

Would it be foolish to buy a GTX 770 right now? I don't need the latest and greatest, but I would like an upgrade from my 550 TI as games are starting to struggle even on low settings. I'm thinking timing mainly, already see them discounted on Amazon but are they likely to come down significantly with the 970 out?

I kind of doubt you'll see them much less than $250 before stock runs out and they shoot back up to *retarded* with the scam resellers. It's hard to say. If that's your budget, that's your budget, and $250 brings you right into the 280x territory and at the end of the day isn't a bad deal.

Now once the 960 comes out there's a chance it might be better than a 770 for that price. I dunno, this is actually a hard question for me

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Berious posted:

I was about to weigh in that it would be very silly to buy a GTX 770, then I checked PCPartPicker and saw they're going for $235 after rebate. I think the only thing it's silly to buy right now is a 760. The 770 and 280X have gotten so cheap, and if you want more performance theres the 970. All 3 of those are absolutely crazy performance / $ right now.

$235 GTX 770? Go for it.

boji
Sep 6, 2003
Monkey hate clean.
Apologies if this has been asked before... but is there a case to be made for matching SLI cards exactly, down to the manufacturer and model #? I know the series/type needs to match (IE both 780 GTX in my case), as well as the amount of memory and the bus width.

I'm sitting on an EVGA 780 GTX 3 GB 384 bit (model 2783) - stock OC. Getting another one of these cards is still ~ $500 for some stupid reason. However, Newegg has a nice looking ASUS card for just under $300, which matches everything except the clock and memory frequencies, which Nvidia claims is no problem on their SLI FAQ.

Is it worth trying to locate an absolutely identical card for SLI mode, or are there no significant performance/compatibility gains to be had here? Barring tiny differences in this specific case due to the stock frequencies (the EVGA is higher from factory).

If relevant: machine is a 4770K @ 4~4.2ghz, 16GB OC'd to 2133, Crucial M500 SSD, mid-range 850 W corsair PSU, some upper-middle end ASRock motherboard.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

boji posted:

Apologies if this has been asked before... but is there a case to be made for matching SLI cards exactly, down to the manufacturer and model #? I know the series/type needs to match (IE both 780 GTX in my case), as well as the amount of memory and the bus width.

I'm sitting on an EVGA 780 GTX 3 GB 384 bit (model 2783) - stock OC. Getting another one of these cards is still ~ $500 for some stupid reason. However, Newegg has a nice looking ASUS card for just under $300, which matches everything except the clock and memory frequencies, which Nvidia claims is no problem on their SLI FAQ.

Is it worth trying to locate an absolutely identical card for SLI mode, or are there no significant performance/compatibility gains to be had here? Barring tiny differences in this specific case due to the stock frequencies (the EVGA is higher from factory).

If relevant: machine is a 4770K @ 4~4.2ghz, 16GB OC'd to 2133, Crucial M500 SSD, mid-range 850 W corsair PSU, some upper-middle end ASRock motherboard.

It should work fine, you will have to match clock rates on the cards.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

boji posted:

I mixed and matched all the time, it never mattered. Not even any quirky problems. I've never had two SLI cards run at exactly the same mhz same model/brand or not. But its hard for me to say that there aren't two brands out there that have some kind of one off issue.

But I'd say dont even worry. The chances are so small and Amazon will take care of you even if it is a used reseller.

It even works if they're different memory amounts although it runs at the lower quantity.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Lowen SoDium posted:

edit: ^^^https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rokcD0nh4I

Speaking of SLI and PCI-e lanes, I know that the Z97 mobos with 3 and 4 x16 3.0 slots are using PLX switch chips to get more lanes. I have read people say that these PLX chips add latency. Does anyone know how much latency? Are there any other compatibility issues or problems I should know about?

I have been informed by a very smart person that the latency meme is basically made up and based on extremely limited evidence. PLX chips don't really affect much of anything. The motherboard vendor's implementation of PCIe is hugely variable in quality, and what can happen is that PLX-switched mode is done more crappily than non-switched.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
With the price now at $1100 in Canada, I feel like the 295x2 is the only sane choice of GPU for someone wanting the best performance price point for ITX / M-ATX builds (And really, why the hell would you build anything bigger in 2014).

Am I insane? :ohdear:

Rime fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 26, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Rime posted:

With the price now at $1100 in Canada, I feel like the 295x2 is the only sane choice of GPU for someone wanting the best performance price point.

Yes, 970 SLI better performance? Less power?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

r0ck0 posted:

Yes, 970 SLI better performance? Less power?

I forgot to add that it's going in ITX / M-ATX, fixed.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Rime posted:

That's still insane.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Rime posted:

You can do SLI on a mATX, sure beats paying $450 extra for the same performance and more heat/power.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Rime posted:

With the price now at $1100 in Canada, I feel like the 295x2 is the only sane choice of GPU for someone wanting the best performance price point for ITX / M-ATX builds (And really, why the hell would you build anything bigger in 2014).

Well, it's factually the best GPU you can fit in an ITX system, do with that what you will. Doesn't mean it's hitting the sweet spot in price/performance, and you'll need a meaty PSU, and be careful with your ITX case selection..

.. But yeah, it's the best you could get in a single PCI Express slot.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 26, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Rime posted:

Because you watercool and overclock the piss out of everything.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

veedubfreak posted:

Because you watercool and overclock the piss out of everything.

If you don't watercool an ITX build, you're doing it wrong. :v:

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
I was really mad at my case window and the bright led on the side of my 970, but then I learned I can change it and even tie intensity to stuff like fan speed :aaaaa:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rime posted:

M-ATX can do SLI though.. not sure why you saying both at once, you pick one or the other.

Edit: Dollars to donuts I'd bet if you hold out a while longer you're going to see a dual-970 card. It wouldn't be any harder to make than the dual-760 card that's already out.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 26, 2014

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Hace posted:

Guess I need to send my 980 back for something that has more jigabytes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rime posted:

Yes, this is insane. Get a GTX 970 or 980 for now, and then leave budget for a GPU refresh in 2 years if you want a really high performance ITX system.