Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

LastInLine posted:

Let me start by saying you probably won't be able to get everything the way it was originally without wiping and finding a stock image to flash. You might get lucky, so start by trying to undo all the changes you made after rooting it originally (usually stuff like removing bloatware, but some people try editing the build.prop or doing theming stuff). Assuming that's not possible you'll want to move your backups somewhere safe off the phone then flashing a stock ROM you found somewhere. You can try flashing right over top of your existing install and hoping it repairs/replaces the things you altered or removed. If that doesn't work then wiping and starting fresh is your only option.

If that's the case you could alternately try to find a stock, rooted image of the version you're trying to upgrade to which is probably preferable to trying to get the OTA to take. But if you can't find that or you just like pain you can flash the stock ROM then use the OTA to update.

After that you need to root the OTA version which again probably removed the original root exploit. Assuming that works you can root then put the files back on the phone (if you lost them during the previous work) and restoring your data with Titanium.

There's no way to really avoid this ordeal when more OTAs come. You can leave it stock (assuming that the stock rooted version is actually stock and isn't de-bloated or some such) or if you took the OTA you can not gently caress with it (rooting itself will not block OTAs, you have to make active changes, and if the last OTA took and you just rooted it will take an OTA in the future) and then future updates will work, albeit losing root in the process and likely preventing you from re-rooting at least for a time.

This, by the way, is why if you care about root you want to avoid devices that actively prevent you from doing it and just deal with Nexus devices. If that's not something you're willing to do, then you're pretty much forced to do all of the above every time there's an update. You can't really get around it.

Thanks for this. This was a refurb replacement phone of the same model. My main goal was to have quick restore of all apps and settings from my Titanium backup files. Here's what I ended up doing:
  • Unlocked the bootloader via htcdev
  • Installed CWM recovery because I was nervous about TWRP. I used the SDK on my Mac.
  • Used the built-in root method in CWM, then used recovery to install SuperSU ZIP. Worked like a charm and I didn't have to track down a rooted ROM.
  • Restored backed up apps & settings. Up and running on latest stock OS from Sprint.

I have not yet re-locked my bootloader. Is that something I should be doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Qylvaran posted:

I'd like to root my Nexus 5 and get my GravityBox on. Do I just follow the instructions on XDA, or is there a better way? Also, what's the best way to back up all my stuff before messing with my phone? I checked the OP, but it's old.
The instructions are the same as they ever were but if you haven't unlocked your bootloader yet Helium is going to be your only backup option.

porkface posted:

I have not yet re-locked my bootloader. Is that something I should be doing?
I've never seen the point in doing so. Doesn't unlocking it on HTCDev wipe the device? If so, just keep it unlocked so you can move the backup data off the next time you buy a device.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 23, 2014

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

LastInLine posted:

The instructions are the same as they ever were but if you haven't unlocked your bootloader yet Helium is going to be your only backup option.

Thanks, but the OP doesn't say anything about rooting the Nexus 5, and the XDA instructions have you using a script, which someone in here said was the inferior way. I guess step one will be figuring out Helium.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Qylvaran posted:

Thanks, but the OP doesn't say anything about rooting the Nexus 5, and the XDA instructions have you using a script, which someone in here said was the inferior way. I guess step one will be figuring out Helium.
I can't help you with Helium as I've never had any luck with it either.

As for rooting, it's really easy.

• Install the SDK.
  • If you're on Windows, get the drivers working. Tunga has posts in this thread talking about how to do that.
  • Download a superuser.zip and a recovery image. I use Koush's stuff (Superuser and CWMR) but most use SuperSU and TWRP. Place both in your platform-tools folder which was created when you installed the SDK.
  • This step will wipe everything. Boot into the bootloader (on your device: power off, then hold volume down while powering on) and connect via USB. In a command prompt/Terminal window from the platform-tools folder, type

fastboot oem unlock

On the device, use the volume keys to move the selection to confirm the choice and power button to select it.
  • Once the device resets, go back into the bootloader and this time type

fastboot flash recovery [whateveritis.img]

Then once it's done use the volume keys to change the words in the arrow at the top to Recovery Mode and the power button to select it.
  • In the recovery, find the ADB sideload ZIP option and choose it. Once the device is waiting for the file, type

adb sideload [thesuperuser.zip]

Once that's done find the option from within recovery to reboot the device.

By the way don't type the brackets in those commands, just the filename. Any guides you find for rooting should show you all of the same things.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Any Note users here with a rooted phone? I'm considering moving from a Nexus 4 to a Note 4 when it comes out, but I'm wondering how much I'll lose by flashing a custom ROM on it. I fear I'd lose all of the cool features of the S Pen.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

oversteps posted:

Any Note users here with a rooted phone? I'm considering moving from a Nexus 4 to a Note 4 when it comes out, but I'm wondering how much I'll lose by flashing a custom ROM on it. I fear I'd lose all of the cool features of the S Pen.
If you get the Note 4, assume you're not going to be able to flash an AOSP ROM on it and you'll be stuck on TouchWiz for at least a year, if not the whole time you own the phone. CM on the Note 3 has been unreliable at best and I'm still on TW after 11 months.

Custom ROMs based on stock TW shouldn't lose any S Pen features. The S Pen still works on the AOSP ROMs for the Note, although you may need additional software to get everything out of it. I don't use the stylus enough to tell you exactly what you might lose if you ever get a stable AOSP ROM for the phone though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

oversteps posted:

The Note 3 is currently fully functional with AOSP ROMs. S Pen included. To my knowledge the S Pen functionality was basically unchanged from previous devices, still the same Wacom(?) hardware. I wouldn't expect this to be much different with the Note 4, whenever (if ever) it has AOSP the pen will probably work. You of course lose the bundled Samsung software, but to my knowledge there are third-party replacements for everything. I don't have one myself but my housemate does with CM11 and he still uses the pen all the time without any complaints.

That said, if you care about custom ROMs and especially AOSP the plain and simple rule is DO NOT ASSUME ANYTHING UNTIL IT EXISTS. A lot of people expected the Evo 3D to follow the Evo 4G as a well supported device. That didn't exactly work out.

The only devices you can ever expect custom ROMs for before they actually happen are Nexus devices and possibly if we get lucky and the Google Play Edition idea returns (doesn't look like it). Even OEM "dev edition" devices don't always work out, see some of the older Motorola units. Sometimes you get lucky and a device has the right combination of hardware, source releases, community interest, and sometimes luck with exploits to be very well supported even without manufacturer approval. It just all comes back to not counting your chickens...

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Civil posted:

Anyone still rocking an HP Touchpad? We used to have a thread somewhere, but it dropped off my bookmarks.

Anyway, I'm still rocking CM9 on it, which was fine for quite a while, but now I'm getting tons of force-closures on it, reboots, and apps like chrome will no longer update (perpetually downloading).

I'm fine with Android 4.0, but if there's something better, I'd happily upgrade, but I'd just need it fully functional (including wifi and bluetooth). XDA has some 4.4 builds, but most seem broken in one or both of those areas. I keep it in my kitchen on the touchstone, and use it as a streaming music player to a bluetooth speaker, along with a quick web reference.

Any recommendations?

Posting from one now

From what I've heard, CM is no longer recommended for the Touchpad and stock WebOS is the best option. If there was a good Android build out for the tablet, I'd like to hear about it too.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I just got an AT&T HTC One M8 and I went through the whole process to "convert" it to a Google Play Edition. Is it right that if I change the CID to GOOGLE01 or whatever it was and flash the Google Play recovery that it's safe to do OTA updates?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I rooted and unlocked the bootloader on my Motorola RAZR MAXX HD because the bloat was killing me. I installed the latest CM11 nightly for my phone, and all went well except 4g does not work. I am stuck on 3g. Doing some reading, it seems as though this is because I did *228 which you are apparently never supposed to do when using CM.

I have never heard of this before, but I am reading that I hosed my SIM card and need to get a new one from Verizon? How is this possible? :psyduck:

(CM11 seems pretty cool on this phone so far; beyond pissed they took WiFi tethering out of KitKat though. Wish I knew that beforehand.).

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

My girlfriend has a RAZR M that's on a 4.4.2 ROM, but she keeps getting system update notifications (although they fail, obviously). How can I disable this?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

My girlfriend has a RAZR M that's on a 4.4.2 ROM, but she keeps getting system update notifications (although they fail, obviously). How can I disable this?
Motorola used to have an apk that you could rename to stop updates, maybe that's in your ROM? If so just rename it.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Island Nation posted:

Posting from one now

From what I've heard, CM is no longer recommended for the Touchpad and stock WebOS is the best option. If there was a good Android build out for the tablet, I'd like to hear about it too.

Yeah, I'm not going back. I really depend on a handful of android apps. It may be unstable, but it's still more useful than stable webos.

Maybe I'll sell, while this thing is still worth a few clams, and get some random android tab.

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011
Could someone explain to me why rooting really isn't a thing anymore? I've got a nexus 5 I wanna I was thinking about rooting for XPosed but I'm trying to weigh the pros and con's of voiding my warranty.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

ACTION AMERICAN posted:

Could someone explain to me why rooting really isn't a thing anymore? I've got a nexus 5 I wanna I was thinking about rooting for XPosed but I'm trying to weigh the pros and con's of voiding my warranty.

I think the thread is referring to rooting to install custom ROMs. I have a nexus 5 and the first thing I did was root it. Pretty much zero need for custom ROMs anymore, thank god we're all on the same page regarding that.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I didn't think rooting voided the warranty on Nexus devices anyway?

I just got a OnePlus One and I must say it was quite nice being able to unlock the bootloader with a simple adb command and not have to worry about voiding my warranty by doing so. Root took all of about 5-10 minutes to do.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Ya, it doesn't void the nexus 5 warranty. Missed that part. There are no cons to rooting your nexus 5.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Go ahead and root your Nexus, it takes maybe a minute and is undone just as quickly.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I ended up rooting my Nexus 5 so that I could install Viper4Android and get better quality sound. It sounded like garbage in my car compared to my old Galaxy S3 but now that's all sorted out and I'm happy again.

Now that I've got that out of the way it got me thinking about the camera. Are there any recommended mods/tweaks to improve camera quality?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ACTION AMERICAN posted:

I should note for the record that "you really don't need to do this anymore" is referring to the fact that most phones now work out of the box whereas that wasn't true before. Before you pretty much had to just to have a working phone and now you don't.

I'd say that raises the bar because rooting and managing rooted devices isn't for everyone and given the problems you can have it's not worth it if you don't really want to learn it. That said, the Nexuses are the easiest to root and deal with by design but ironically are the ones least in need of it. If you want to learn about it, go ahead and do it as it's what Nexuses are built for.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ACTION AMERICAN posted:

It's a thing if you're a power user and want to install apps with system-level access like Titanium Backup, but for the average user Android has quietly improved upon itself to be pretty fantastic and powerfully customizable out of the box. I'm the definition of a power user and I have Android devices I haven't rooted (no need).

In short, unless you're a nerd or you bought a Samsung phone, rooting may not be for you.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I have been using the xposed module unbounce recently, and I think it has helped my battery life a lot. The alarm that wakes your phone and updates google about your location wakes the phone up every minute, and keeps the phone awake for about 10 seconds. Rather than try to block this completely, the module instead limits how often the wakelock, and the alarm which triggers it can activate. This means google now and other location services keep working, but your phone stays asleep for longer.

Normally XDA projects like these go crazy trying to squeeze every fraction of a percent possible out of your phone, but by default the module only reduces the time between updates from 1 minute to 4 minutes. You can change that to longer if you would like, and if you pay you can restrict other alarms and wakelocks, but I don't know any others that will have as big an impact with really no downside.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

THF13 posted:

I have been using the xposed module unbounce recently, and I think it has helped my battery life a lot. The alarm that wakes your phone and updates google about your location wakes the phone up every minute, and keeps the phone awake for about 10 seconds. Rather than try to block this completely, the module instead limits how often the wakelock, and the alarm which triggers it can activate. This means google now and other location services keep working, but your phone stays asleep for longer.

Normally XDA projects like these go crazy trying to squeeze every fraction of a percent possible out of your phone, but by default the module only reduces the time between updates from 1 minute to 4 minutes. You can change that to longer if you would like, and if you pay you can restrict other alarms and wakelocks, but I don't know any others that will have as big an impact with really no downside.

This sounded intriguing, but, uh, why does it need access to Google Play billing service?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

hooah posted:

This sounded intriguing, but, uh, why does it need access to Google Play billing service?

There's a Pro version unlocked with an in-app purchase.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

hooah posted:

Specifically

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ah, ok. I poked around in the Xposed page, but didn't see anything and then had to go to dinner. That sounds just fine.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I just got an AT&T HTC One M8 and I went through the whole process to "convert" it to a Google Play Edition. Is it right that if I change the CID to GOOGLE01 or whatever it was and flash the Google Play recovery that it's safe to do OTA updates?

I converted my m8 and put in that Google CID. I used OTA updates to 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 without problems.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Shai-Hulud posted:

I converted my m8 and put in that Google CID. I used OTA updates to 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 without problems.

Cool. Are you rooted? Did you have to do that again?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Shai-Hulud posted:

Got excited for a second then found out you can't do that on Verizon.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

Got excited for a second then found out you can't do that on Verizon.
Of course you can't. There isn't a GPE phone for Verizon so there obviously isn't any software for it.

It's not too complicated: Verizon hates you and if there is a nice thing they will do everything in their considerable power to be sure you can't have it.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Hasn't someone hacked around to get it working on CDMA?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Hasn't someone hacked around to get it working on CDMA?
I know they have for the Sprint M8

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

For those of you running stock Sense 6.0 on your HTC One M8, what Xposed modules would you recommend? I'm used to Gravity Box on my Nexus 4 but obviously that won't work with Sense. I GPE'd my phone briefly but ended up going back to full stock (+root and S-Off) when I realized how god-awful the Google camera app is compared to HTC's.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

dik-dik posted:

For those of you running stock Sense 6.0 on your HTC One M8, what Xposed modules would you recommend? I'm used to Gravity Box on my Nexus 4 but obviously that won't work with Sense. I GPE'd my phone briefly but ended up going back to full stock (+root and S-Off) when I realized how god-awful the Google camera app is compared to HTC's.

HTC's apps are on the Play store for update purposes. Will it not let you install them on a GPE M8? I guess they've got dependencies baked into Sense?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Cool. Are you rooted? Did you have to do that again?

Pretty sure I had to reroot after updating. It's no big deal though. It's a bit annoying that you have to re flash the GPE recovery after rooting because otherwise the OTA update won't work (supposedly, I haven't tried it with a non stock recovery)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Is there any way at all to move apps and their data to an external SD in 4.4.x? I'm no linux pro but it seems like a simple move and symlink would work fine, but there don't seem to be any apps that do this.

I have a stock rooted Z2 and I just want to move comiXology to the SD card so I can download all my stuff. Honestly I don't even see what the point of having an SD slot is on your device after Kit Kat, this is really irritating.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

Is there any way at all to move apps and their data to an external SD in 4.4.x? I'm no linux pro but it seems like a simple move and symlink would work fine, but there don't seem to be any apps that do this.

I have a stock rooted Z2 and I just want to move comiXology to the SD card so I can download all my stuff. Honestly I don't even see what the point of having an SD slot is on your device after Kit Kat, this is really irritating.

The official way of doing this would be for comixology to store the media on the SD card, just like how the camera or a music app would do. Is there an option in the app? When you buy comics through it, does it let you select whether to download to internal storage or SD card?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

You're correct, that can be done although I'm sure no one's bothered to update this Gingerbread-era idea for KitKat.

Syrinxx posted:

As RVProfootballer mentioned, this is a trivial thing if the app chooses to utilize removable storage and it would work fine.

Maybe I'm naïve as I've never read a comic book in my life, but how much space could they possibly consume? How many could you possibly need on your phone at any one moment that the internal storage wouldn't be more than enough?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ok weird question. Back in June when towelroot came out for my Galaxy S5 I went ahead and did it just because I had never rooted a phone and wanted the option of doing some neat-o ROM things. I never did though. Well apparently I installed a software update in August-ish that made towelroot null and void. Here's the problem is there was another software update in September, but it refuses to install. I get failed installs every time. Is there any way for me to reverse all of the stuff I've done?

Galaxy S5 Verizon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LastInLine posted:

Maybe I'm naïve as I've never read a comic book in my life, but how much space could they possibly consume? How many could you possibly need on your phone at any one moment that the internal storage wouldn't be more than enough?

In seriousness, they usually shouldn't take up more than like 750 KB per page and usually less than 25 mb per "book"