Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Trast posted:

Which makes him that much more likely to die per comic book rules.
And then to top it all off, Pintsize will scream "nooo my comic book ideals" and try to cover everything up/pretend nothing happened, and the rift between Hector and Allison will grow deeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think it remains to be seen what he would do. On the one hand, Hector is a good person, albeit one who is prone to saying stupid poo poo, and his actions up till now came from a good place.

On the other, he is neck deep in denial and does not comprehend that the way he wants things to be can not work, much less how much of a failure he has been as a leader. I bet once he sees what Moonshadow is doing, the weight of his gently caress ups will hit him hard.

Unless he is assisting Moonshadow. Munitions is one thing, but a heavy duty locking mechanism? And info on War Criminals? Either way, someone has to be helping her.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think she said she's basically got a lot of resources she can quietly draw on with her current position.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Tollymain posted:

I think she said she's basically got a lot of resources she can quietly draw on with her current position.

I don't quite recall that, and even if she did say that, manpower counts as a resource.

It is possible she is doing this alone with the ton of money she has, but I would not be surprised if she turns out to have a partner.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Unlucky7 posted:

It is possible she is doing this alone with the ton of money she has, but I would not be surprised if she turns out to have a partner.

Patrick has love affairs with all kinds of female Superheroes (maybe even some male) and is pushing them all ever so slowly over to the supervillain camp. Moonshadow just responded to the pushing faster than most.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Trast posted:

Which makes him that much more likely to die per comic book rules.

They fight, he gets the upper hand, but won't finish her off, she says something about him being soft/weak kills him, Hector blames Alison for not being there.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

They fight, he gets the upper hand, but won't finish her off, she says something about him being soft/weak kills him, Hector blames Alison for not being there.

That would track for a reason to tie everyone in the old team together. Everyone Moonshadow has killed so far have been rapists, abusers, or war criminals so I'm curious as to what her justification will be to kill other supers. Collateral damage during their fights or the killings of other bios or criminals she mentioned to the mercs?

Someone mentioned a character flipping everyone to be supervillains. Did I miss a subplot when I binged through the series initially or are people just speculating?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
No, some people just have a weird boner for making Patrick the evil mastermind behind everything, even when it goes against how he's been characterized thus far.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Unlucky7 posted:

Munitions is one thing, but a heavy duty locking mechanism?

Ahhhahahaha! Holy poo poo, you think that thousands of rounds of ammunition and loving grenades are easier to get ahold of than a big lock? I just... I just don't even... I don't even know how to respond to that, other than with mockery.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't know about you, but here in AMERICA

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Captain Bravo posted:

Ahhhahahaha! Holy poo poo, you think that thousands of rounds of ammunition and loving grenades are easier to get ahold of than a big lock? I just... I just don't even... I don't even know how to respond to that, other than with mockery.

It was more like that on top of everything else. It seems like Batman levels of prepared.

But yeah that was a dumb way of putting it.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
It would have been better had the mercenaries charged the door, breaking it down since it's old and rotted wood and the locks aren't in structurally sound places.

Moonshadow would fade back into visibility all dejected. "Super Engineering isn't one of my anomalies..."

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

7c Nickel posted:

No, some people just have a weird boner for making Patrick the evil mastermind behind everything, even when it goes against how he's been characterized thus far.

Ah, that is what I figured.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
All you pretty much have to do is shoot the lights, pretty sure she has to see. Dumb Mercenaries.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Hollismason posted:

All you pretty much have to do is shoot the lights, pretty sure she has to see. Dumb Mercenaries.

Don't... mercenaries have to see too?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Superstring posted:

Don't... mercenaries have to see too?

They already can't see her. Though they might be more at risk of shooting each other.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Captain Bravo posted:

Girl had loving tanks in her back yard. Kind of surprising she knows how to install auto-shutting barn doors though.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pavlov posted:

Girl had loving tanks in her back yard. Kind of surprising she knows how to install auto-shutting barn doors though.

I can't believe I glossed over how militarized the Guardians' HQ was in my first pass. :stare:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Welp, Moonshadow's off the deep end. It takes a pretty twisted kind of logic to think that having less barriers to killing other people gives you the moral high ground.

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009

Warmachine posted:

I can't believe I glossed over how militarized the Guardians' HQ was in my first pass. :stare:

To be fair the adorable economy car is pretty eye catching. I just thought of it as badass building flair at first glance.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
"Yeah, but I do it for free"

:unsmigghh:

The face in that last panel would make a boss avatar if it went all the way up.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

"Yeah, but I do it for free"

:unsmigghh:

The face in that last panel would make a boss avatar if it went all the way up.

I think any questions about where Moonshadow lies on the morality scale have just been put to rest. Much like the last party goer.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

At least it's an ethos?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Slashrat posted:

Welp, Moonshadow's off the deep end. It takes a pretty twisted kind of logic to think that having less barriers to killing other people gives you the moral high ground.

Pretty sure that statement is at least 50 percent black humor.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Technically you paid them to show up, Moonshadow, so it is not for free. :v:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Actually she never paid them, because she hired the only mercenary company dumb enough not to take payment upfront.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Well I for one am shocked I say, SHOCKED at these strange turn of events.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Pretty sure that statement is at least 50 percent black humor.

At this point how can anyone tell the difference? Why did she hire these guys in particular if only one of their members has killed any civilians? Why not just raid whatever equivalent this comic world has to Black Water (or whatever they are called now) and start knifing people there? Why should we take these events as anything more than a hero who has completely walked off the moral event horizon and adopted a train of logic that is self contradictory and, for lack of a better phrase, bat-poo poo insane?

She didn't even bother to pay these guys upfront so they technically worked, and died, for free.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Moonshadow wants to be on the side of justice, so she tries to be on the side of justice. But she apparently also just loves to kill. So she'll kill, and if she can, she'll kill for justice. If she can't, she'll fake it.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Brought To You By posted:

moral event horizon

Get out of here Troper.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Look it's really easy to be judgemental, but if you look at the foresight and planning that went into this, Moonshadow really does have great potential to be a party planner. She just needs to smooth out a couple of rough spots.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I finally read this comic after looking at random pages from time to time. It certainly brought up some interesting thogughts. Especially since it highlights the sociopolicital ramifications which emerge in such a society. The notion of anonymus demigod vigilantes may seem romantic, but really falls apart once you think about it any farther than neccesary.

Of course there would be lots of superflous casualties. I especially liked the death of the partner of Allisons professor. Back then she did not have to throw that robot into a hospital wall. She had the situation handled, but was just cocky and wanted to use her catch phrase. Pretty much every other comic would have framed that guys death in a way which partly absolves her. For example she could have dodged an atack, which hit the hospital instead. I am impressed that the author did not go down this cheap route. She personally killed that guy with her reckless behaviour, while boasting.

The other really interesting point was the colapse of the guardians. Without an equal power they quickly became oppressive governmental thugs who killed lowlife criminals, which the police might have detained. I am strongly opposed to the concepts of street justice or passing red tape to get results, so I can't stand it if they are gloryfied. This does not happen here. The characters (which aren't delusional) realise that this system can not function, since it only creates a corrupt and oppresive police force.
As a contrast you could look at "Dirty Harry" which isn't really the same genre at all, but really ilustrates how American culture tends to encourage these misbehaviours. (God, I hate that movie! A lot of the terrible cops these days where probably inspired by that garbage.)

The morals of SFP are actually really mature and make you think, rather than acting as propaganda for an unstable system or a self-destructive ideology. Alison doesn't really know what to do with her life and her talent, because that is a hard decision since finding a path is complicated. Of course, the fact that she even has a choice in the matter shows that she is privileged. But a certain privilege does not mean that live gets easy and uncomplicated.

Man! I thought way to long about a webcomic which I probably wont be reading for the next year. But reading this thread afterards was kind of fun, since some of your predictions where way off. Hector actually being a genius scientist comes to mind.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's kind of funny (and by funny I mean tragic, scary, and really good writing) that Moonshadow's moral views aren't that far from Pintsize's. They both see things in a very black and white "Good Guys and Bad Guys" kind of way. It's entirely possible that the only reason the positions aren't flipped is that there's something in Moonshadow's past regarding sexual violence that made it easy for her to find new Bad Guys.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Well I think this is just super heroes taken to their normal realistic conclusion, the government thinks it's better to take control of them and use their powers, which of course means they'll be turning children who really don't have a good concept of morals or at least can be easily manipulated into basically child soldiers.

They were letting a underage girl run around and fight giant robots and are wondering well poo poo she's grown up.

Basically, it's knd of the government's fault, you shouldn't be surprised if you allow a child to run around killing people then she turns out to be a sociopath.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

At this point how can anyone tell the difference? Why did she hire these guys in particular if only one of their members has killed any civilians? Why not just raid whatever equivalent this comic world has to Black Water (or whatever they are called now) and start knifing people there? Why should we take these events as anything more than a hero who has completely walked off the moral event horizon and adopted a train of logic that is self contradictory and, for lack of a better phrase, bat-poo poo insane?

She didn't even bother to pay these guys upfront so they technically worked, and died, for free.

What I'm saying is that I'm pretty sure she's partly mocking the fact that "I do it for free" is why she was a hero in the first place :v:

Which goes into what the guy above me is saying. I think she knows she's a broken person and is trying to channel it productively, mocking the ruins of her life all the way. That's my read anywho.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

What I'm saying is that I'm pretty sure she's partly mocking the fact that "I do it for free" is why she was a hero in the first place :v:[/wuote]
But they didn't do it for free. They were well funded, possibly even payed salaries for their actions, and Pintsize was able to set up a small media niche through merchandising that he admits all of the Guardians (minus Alison) took advantage of. They weren't Spiderman-level vigilantes who juggled a "normal" life and a super hero life.

[quote]Which goes into what the guy above me is saying. I think she knows she's a broken person and is trying to channel it productively, mocking the ruins of her life all the way. That's my read anywho.
I'm just not seeing the self awareness here. Killing these mercenaries in particular makes no sense in relation to her other two killings which were all connected by the rape case. And the fact that she is drawing this out instead of using the minimal amount of theatrics she displayed in the first killing leads me to believe that she has lost her rational mind. Pintsize may be trying to cling to his superhero fantasy, but he's clinging to an an idealized interpretation of the idea closer to Superman. Moonshadow is 80's-tier edgy hero that's all kill and no introspection.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

I'm just not seeing the self awareness here. Killing these mercenaries in particular makes no sense in relation to her other two killings which were all connected by the rape case. And the fact that she is drawing this out instead of using the minimal amount of theatrics she displayed in the first killing leads me to believe that she has lost her rational mind. Pintsize may be trying to cling to his superhero fantasy, but he's clinging to an an idealized interpretation of the idea closer to Superman. Moonshadow is 80's-tier edgy hero that's all kill and no introspection.

This is the problem I have with it too. Though I don't get the impression she is supposed to be going mad or losing her mind. Rather, it comes across to me as the writer just being unsure on how they want to write the character. They don't know if they want a serious silent vigilante avenger or an over the top super villain who cracks jokes and tries to make things sporting for the fun of it.

I suppose a future reveal will make some sense of this but right now things feel a bit muddled.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
How is it muddled? She isn't a completely irrational crazy person, but she is not psychologically healthy either. She has deep issues, but psychological health isn't something where you either possess a rational mind or you don't. This is someone who has had to fight in life or death situations since she was just a teenager. She has been exposed to a huge amount of trauma and pressure throughout her life.

She has been consistently theatrical. Her speech from the first few pages was way over the top. She killed those kids when they were in public in front of witnesses.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The alt-text a couple strips back about her endorphin high makes me think that Moonshadow has become addicted to murdering totally legitimately executing bad people.

Also, she's escalating. At first she only killed with government sanction, then she needed the victims to ask her, and at this point she's selecting her own targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

she explained why she killed them a few pages ago. they all did terrible things on their tours and so they deserve to be killed in her eyes. i'm not saying she's not a pretty lovely person but the only way she could be described as crazy is that she thinks killing people Is Not That Big Of A Deal.

which considering what she was doing in the formative years of her life isnt that unusual

• Locked thread