Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

Atheist culture is still culture. Same as furry culture.

(Livejournal is social media shut up)

This is super old but I'll show my age and point out that this guy was a known serial troll on LJ, winding up furries and furry haters both. He was banned from a lot of communities. So no, it is entirely not real (though idek who could think it was).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Grrl Anachronism posted:

She is definitely not a doctor, she was a patient herself when she met this new person. This may be even more than #2, but at this point it's getting hard to keep up with where she meets her crazy people.

Also '#2' was a teenaged girl. Reanne is 26.

How did they meet? The mental hospitals I was in during my teens had adults and adolescents very,very separated. Like, they didn't even eat with adolescents and the juveniles.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Uh yeah dude, raising them to think "god isn't real" is just forcing your beliefs on your kid and shaping their developmental years.

Uh this is kind of weird. I'm not saying raise your child to go out and scream God isn't real but isn't your entire job as a parent TO shape their developmental years?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Uh this is kind of weird. I'm not saying raise your child to go out and scream God isn't real but isn't your entire job as a parent TO shape their developmental years?

Ideally, you provide guidance and boundaries but starting around adolescence you have to give them the space to make their own decisions and come to their own conclusions.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

1stGear posted:

Ideally, you provide guidance and boundaries but starting around adolescence you have to give them the space to make their own decisions and come to their own conclusions.

I don't think the child in that story was an adolescent. I do see where you come from. I just don't see how your own views wouldn't be influenced naturally. My kids never ask me about church but I don't go and don't see any reason to ever go. If they ask me in the future if I believe in God I'll tell them I don't and I don't consider that "indoctrination" but it will obviously color their worldview, being children.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Bored posted:

How did they meet? The mental hospitals I was in during my teens had adults and adolescents very,very separated. Like, they didn't even eat with adolescents and the juveniles.

The girl was 18, so grouped with the adults.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Uh yeah dude, raising them to think "god isn't real" is just forcing your beliefs on your kid and shaping their developmental years.
I'm not sure why you think the default belief is that God exists. Would kids believe in god if nobody told them to believe? Doubtful.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Leon Einstein posted:

I'm not sure why you think the default belief is that God exists.

I believe the default belief is that god does not exist because you don't know poo poo about anything so how could you? I also know that roughly 90% of the world believes in one, so maybe ease up on the god ain't poo poo stuff.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I don't think the child in that story was an adolescent. I do see where you come from. I just don't see how your own views wouldn't be influenced naturally. My kids never ask me about church but I don't go and don't see any reason to ever go. If they ask me in the future if I believe in God I'll tell them I don't and I don't consider that "indoctrination" but it will obviously color their worldview, being children.

That's sort of indoctrinating them into your worldview, though. I don't mean it as something like you're brainwashing them, but kids follow their parents' lead for a long time. I think you should certainly teach them about morality and culture at that time but not necessarily religion if it isn't completely ingrained, like it is for most people. Ideally, you should prepare them for the fact that not everyone agrees with them and how to handle that in a civil matter. If I were that kid's dad, I'd blame myself above anyone else, even recognizing the deck was stacked against me.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Holy poo poo no one cares.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

kazil posted:

Holy poo poo no one cares.

lol a lot of people do obviously

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

I believe the default belief is that god does not exist because you don't know poo poo about anything so how could you? I also know that roughly 90% of the world believes in one, so maybe ease up on the god ain't poo poo stuff.

That's sort of indoctrinating them into your worldview, though. I don't mean it as something like you're brainwashing them, but kids follow their parents' lead for a long time. I think you should certainly teach them about morality and culture at that time but not necessarily religion if it isn't completely ingrained, like it is for most people. Ideally, you should prepare them for the fact that not everyone agrees with them and how to handle that in a civil matter. If I were that kid's dad, I'd blame myself above anyone else, even recognizing the deck was stacked against me.

I'm not sure what the alternative is to that though. Do I take them to church and talk about God then when they are 18 be like "oh haha nah I don't believe in any of that"

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Religion is dumb and atheism is also dumb, just don't really bring it up. Kids aren't brain dead, they can actually decide stuff like that a bit better than you think.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I'm not sure what the alternative is to that though. Do I take them to church and talk about God then when they are 18 be like "oh haha nah I don't believe in any of that"

Well I'd argue that a useful alternative is teaching them about various faiths and kind of let them draw their own conclusions. They won't understand poo poo at five but they'll do it well before 18.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Elliotw2 posted:

Religion is dumb and atheism is also dumb, just don't really bring it up. Kids aren't brain dead, they can actually decide stuff like that a bit better than you think.

Kids also fart on each other so

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Elliotw2 posted:

Oh cool believing in things and not believing in things are both dumb. Tell us the cool 3rd option to that.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle :angel:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

That's sort of indoctrinating them into your worldview, though. I don't mean it as something like you're brainwashing them, but kids follow their parents' lead for a long time.
So anything short of teaching them about religion is indoctrinating them into atheism? Haha, ok.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
My kid believes when I put on a Halloween mask that I literally turned into a monster even though she saw me put it on and I am wearing the same clothes so excuse me if I don't leave her alone to figure it all out on her own.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Leon Einstein posted:

So anything short of teaching them about religion is indoctrinating them into atheism? Haha, ok.

lmao that's exactly what I said you colossal retard

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

JPEG compression strikes again:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Elliotw2 posted:

Man I don't even have kids and I understand that they rarely let you off the hook when they start wanting to know how something works or why something is this way or that way. Seems like telling them to stop asking is just going to lead to them seeking out an answer from a source you don't know and don't trust, so as a parent why on earth wouldn't you teach them what you think is the correct answer?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I want someone to sleep next to me forever :smith: so I find her on Google?

e: Religion - I grew up in the 80s, and we had 'religion' classes. It pretty much just covered the more interesting bits in Moses' years and a bit about Jesus and him flipping over tables in that temple. This was in early classes, like 3-4, I just thought it was mostly boring with sometimes a cool story. I didn't learn what a muslim was, though :v:

old bean factory has a new favorite as of 19:18 on Sep 26, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

mng posted:

I want someone to sleep next to me forever :smith: so I find her on Google?

Well if you want a 2D image to sleep next to you it's better to find it on Amazon really.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Huntersoninski posted:

e: my favorite teacher in high school would interrupt us anytime we started to state an opinion like a fact with 'IN MY OPINION COMMA" and would not allow you to finish your sentence until you re-began it with "In my opinion comma,"

Is that your opinion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkeNd1Ni4Uw

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Well I'd argue that a useful alternative is teaching them about various faiths and kind of let them draw their own conclusions. They won't understand poo poo at five but they'll do it well before 18.

You can always do what my parents did - never really discussed it, my mother contributed time, energy and money to various faith based charities to the point where I always assumed she was vaguely religious. I never felt any pressure to believe in anything, or not believe in anything. But when we did discuss it when I was 38 or so, I discovered that they have absolutely no religious feelings whatsoever.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
There's a difference between not raising your kid with a religion and raising them explicitly as an atheist. One is about letting them come to their own conclusions and one is about telling them what to believe, that's a big difference even if they both likely lead to the same outcome.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Edit: Never mind.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Sep 26, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Oh cool believing in things and not believing in things are both dumb. Tell us the cool 3rd option to that.

The cool 3rd option is to not have a debate about atheism education in a PYF thread about idiots on Facebook.

Video games and bad edits of old political cartoons remain serious business.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

The cool 3rd option is to not have a debate about atheism education in a PYF thread about idiots on Facebook.

This picture has to be a joke.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

My parents did this, though I was 14 and had just gotten confirmed

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Zeether posted:

JPEG compression strikes again:

At least I won't sleep alone anymore. :gbsmith:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

That DICK! posted:

My parents did this, though I was 14 and had just gotten confirmed

My dad did the same thing. I had gotten confirmed like 2 weeks before, and I ask him about it and he just laughs and says - Nah, we go because your mother's dad would get mad at us if we don't. And your mom still kinda believes.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

#notyoursheild

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

40-Degree Day posted:

This picture has to be a joke.

It's a parody, but GG hero Adam Baldwin retweeted it seriously https://twitter.com/AdamBaldwin/status/515301576919875584

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
But you're supposed to indoctrinate your child into your worldview. That's what makes it a worldview and not a matter of personal taste. :psyduck:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

FAFSA loans.

I do like the lineart of Sarkeesian and Alexander and friends though.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Segmentation Fault posted:

FAFSA loans.

I do like the lineart of Sarkeesian and Alexander and friends though.

They look like that A. Wyatt Man cartoon :laugh:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Tetracube posted:

It's a parody, but GG hero Adam Baldwin retweeted it seriously https://twitter.com/AdamBaldwin/status/515301576919875584
On a side note, he's attending a convention in my area next year. :cripes: While I'm sure nobody on the staff knows about his GG bullshittery the mere presence of him would make me not want to go.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Zeether posted:

On a side note, he's attending a convention in my area next year. :cripes: While I'm sure nobody on the staff knows about his GG bullshittery the mere presence of him would make me not want to go.

Not that it will probably change anything but you can always make the organizers of the convention aware that you aren't planning on attending due to one of their headliners having absolutely awful views about women. Not that nerd cons are known for being super duper progressive about that kind of poo poo (see: Pedophile being payed by DragonCon for a decade even after they knew) but who knows until you try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Tetracube posted:

Awww, Jane, why you gotta be like that :smith:

• Locked thread