Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Didn't the lead of Spartacus actually die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yup, but when it first came up in the public's attention, they tried really hard to convince themselves/everyone that he'd be all better in a year or two so they were just gonna do this quickie prequel for the next season or two.. I watched most of them and it was good but eventually I petered off since it was obvious nothing more was coming out. :(

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Spartacus was actually great for its entire run. There was an adjustment period for the new lead after Andy Whitfield died but he grew into the role pretty well.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

coyo7e posted:

Haha you dodged a bullet, it does nothing except largely descend into debauchery involving Lucy Lawless and the british chick from Dexter's 3rd or 4th season, and lots of naked slaves. Then the lead got sick and they did all this weird poo poo and never got back on the rails.

Wrong show. He has talking about Rome not Spartacus. That said Spartacus had more debauchery than any cable series I can ever think of.

Still Rome was better.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

nate fisher posted:

Wrong show. He has talking about Rome not Spartacus. That said Spartacus had more debauchery than any cable series I can ever think of.

Still Rome was better.
Dangit, I know I watched Rome and still can't remember much. It was all just an orgy of togas and gladiuses back when I was watching them.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
This Film Is Not Yet Rated is awful. It has all the wit, depth, and insight of your average "You can show blood and gore but god forbid you show a titty AMIRITE :911: :usa: :stoke: :sodamnedgy:" post and half of its runtime is just padded out with hearsay and speculation based on the obnoxiously staged antics of a lesbian private investigator spying on supposed members of the MPAA.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

If you're anything like me this movie will piss you off so much. I'd always suspected that the MPAA was a ridiculous organization, and this showed me that it's far more ridiculous than I could have even imagined. At the time of the filming, they had members who had been there something like 10-15 years and their children were all adults (the supposed criteria for being a member is that you're replaced every few years and you have to be a parent of a child under 18), so these people are just collecting paychecks for years. The whole system is a joke, and my dream is that the indie film distribution system continues to grow to the point where no one needs these idiots' approval for distribution so their meaningless G - NC-17 rating system gets replaced with a truly voluntary one that actually makes sense and their dumb organization becomes totally irrelevant.

It sure would be nice if people could actually come up with a better way of rating movies instead of just griping about it endlessly without offering an actual alternative.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I used to like This Film is Not Yet Rated, then I realized the investigator was a lesbian. Now I see what a fool I was.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

coyo7e posted:

Haha you dodged a bullet, it does nothing except largely descend into debauchery involving Lucy Lawless and the british chick from Dexter's 3rd or 4th season, and lots of naked slaves. Then the lead got sick and they did all this weird poo poo and never got back on the rails.

That's Spartacus, which got WAYY worse than Rome, but it was still awesome.

coyo7e posted:

Dangit, I know I watched Rome and still can't remember much. It was all just an orgy of togas and gladiuses back when I was watching them.

Edit: Oh, hello new page. Sorry.

Both shows were great

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Everyone should see Filth, especially if you like great acting performances and surreal Terry Gilliam style images, it's like madness on film.

I'm surprised I hadn't heard of this film before it popped up on Netflix.

Subject matter is pretty heavy though, it's not exactly "feel good movie of the year" material even though a good part of the movie is funny as hell. In much the same way that "Trainspotting" is about the depressing topic of the life of junkies but is surprisingly filled with humor and life and color.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
This Film Is Not Yet Rated was entirely faked footage. It was bigger than the staging of the USA landing on the moon, and done for the purposes of forwarding the agenda of Big Lesbian.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The private investigator stuff totally felt like padding and the "wit, depth, and insight" was indeed pretty surface level but it's still a fine documentary to watch if you want to know about how hosed up the MPAA rating system is. It's not going to change your life and convert you to or away from your chosen religion or whatever but it's still an OK movie.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It sure would be nice if people could actually come up with a better way of rating movies instead of just griping about it endlessly without offering an actual alternative.
Film ratings are one of those things, like the drinking age, that nobody actually gives a poo poo about once the restriction no longer applies to them.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I give a poo poo about film ratings, because I think they make movies worse. When you watch a movie, you can feel the rating they aimed for.

Imagine how different literature would be if books had such a powerful ratings process. It's hard to imagine that they would be better for it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This Film is Not Yet Rated is just sort of a mediocre movie made on a topic that alot of people feel about. It preaches to the choir it was made for really well and has a few interesting points throughout but, as was mentioned, it's alot of anecdotal evidence and wanting really hard to be a Micheal Moore movie. It's not awful but man it could have been alot better.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

wafflesnsegways posted:

I give a poo poo about film ratings, because I think they make movies worse. When you watch a movie, you can feel the rating they aimed for.

Imagine how different literature would be if books had such a powerful ratings process. It's hard to imagine that they would be better for it.

That's a good point. It's interesting how American movies are implicitly acknowledged as immensely powerful forces for changing cultural and social perceptions — more so than any other mass media.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cocoa Ninja posted:

That's a good point. It's interesting how American movies are implicitly acknowledged as immensely powerful forces for changing cultural and social perceptions — more so than any other mass media.

I definitely don't think movies are regarded as greater in this respect than television

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

wafflesnsegways posted:

This is almost always a "They're getting rid of the blood in my action movies!" argument and as such would have nothing to do with nudity.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

computer parts posted:

This is almost always a "They're getting rid of the blood in my action movies!" argument and as such would have nothing to do with nudity.
The language used is also a giveaway, and I think that matters a bit more. Whether your teenaged characters (for instance) are dropping F bombs every 5 seconds or whether they are unnaturally refined in their speech depends on whether you want a PG-13 or R.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There are quite a few movies that purposefully avoid getting below an R rating because of public perception and you can tell.

And then there is the unfortunate and stupid fact that there really are a fuckload of theaters who would not run an NC-17 film, and stores that wouldn't carry the DVD or Blu-Ray. I mean, Henry and June is actually really tame and it pretty well sucks that its box office run was doomed and it didn't get a chance to make hardly any money, because it's a great movie. That it inspired the creation of a rating is just weird.

e: Huh, I never noticed Wild at Heart was also NC-17.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Wild at Heart got edited down to an R.

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Some of the more independent theaters like the IFC Center have just started issuing a "common sense" policy for certain movies, which I hope we see more of in the future.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
With the shift away from physical media and movie theaters in favor of on-demand and streaming, ratings are only going to get less relevant and powerful as time goes on anyways. Already some independent movies are just foregoing ratings entirely because they're not bothering with wide releases so they don't need to worry about theaters refusing to carry them over it and Wal-Mart may refuse to carry NC-17 movies but have no compunctions about unrated ones. Unless you're a teenager trying to sneak into a movie theater the biggest impact ratings probably have on you today is that Wal-Mart won't carry Nymphomanic, and really who cares when it's on the front page of Netflix faster than most movies go to DVD?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Last night I made plans to watch BSG with my wife and kids. I've watched the complete series, my wife started watching at the start of season 3, and my kids never watched it. Of course I just saw on the Verge they are pulling it on October 1st.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I finally watched The Hunt and it is so good, but there is no way in hell I would ever put myself through that again.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
All this talk about The Hunt makes me want to watch it but I probably won't because just the very concept makes me really not want to sit through that. I'm sure I would not regret watching it but I just can't convince myself of that with enough certainty to actually watch the drat thing.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

nate fisher posted:

Last night I made plans to watch BSG with my wife and kids. I've watched the complete series, my wife started watching at the start of season 3, and my kids never watched it. Of course I just saw on the Verge they are pulling it on October 1st.

It's ok, you can power throught it all on the weekend. Maybe even call off work for a few days next week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYjLrJRuMnY

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I dunno, all the "I couldn't bear to watch that a second time!" stuff is a bit odd to me. It's not a pleasant movie, but it's really a pretty simple 'wrongfully accused' drama. It's not even the most emotionally grueling movie of 2013, imo.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I definitely don't think movies are regarded as greater in this respect than television

I was thinking in terms of cultural export, which I think was true until most recently.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I dunno, all the "I couldn't bear to watch that a second time!" stuff is a bit odd to me. It's not a pleasant movie, but it's really a pretty simple 'wrongfully accused' drama. It's not even the most emotionally grueling movie of 2013, imo.

I wonder how big of an overlap there is between goons who don't want to rewatch The Hunt because it was too grueling and unpleasant for them, and goons who really really like Star Trek.

mods knew

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This Film Is Not Yet Rated is awful. It has all the wit, depth, and insight of your average "You can show blood and gore but god forbid you show a titty AMIRITE :911: :usa: :stoke: :sodamnedgy:" post and half of its runtime is just padded out with hearsay and speculation based on the obnoxiously staged antics of a lesbian private investigator spying on supposed members of the MPAA.

The company that netflix uses for its rating system is great.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Common sense: a term stupid people use when they are unable to comprehend a perspective other than their own

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
All this talk about The Hunt confused me since The Hunter was mentioned a few pages back and I got them mixed up. :v:

Anyway, The Hunter was pretty good. Very pretty cinematography and a refreshingly calm pace, even though the story seemed to check off a couple of common tropes. You would think Sam Neil would know enough to stay away from biotech companies by now ;)

I had remembered Star Trek V: The Final Frontier being comically incompetent and laughably bad, but that turned out to be not quite right. The special effects at the end are fairly hokey, but otherwise it superficially isn't that bad. It's mainly that the movie is pretty drat stupid if you think about it at all with a lot of contrivances and forced humor (which I realize was studio meddling). I don't know that it's all that much worse than The Search for Spock as far as the original cast movies go.

As Tears Go By was a promising debut by Wong Kar-wai but it also wasn't the world's most original movie. The whole cousins thing creeped me out. Hong Kong is still an undeniably cool setting though. I noticed his latest movie The Grandmaster was also up, which I had never heard of before. Reading the summary, it sounded... not very Wong Kar-wai-ish. Anybody seen this yet?

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Common sense: a term stupid people use when they are unable to comprehend a perspective other than their own

Common sense is that which tells us that the sun goes around the Earth.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ahahaha, Netflix's new Notification thing is literally an exact copy of Spotify's. :allears:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Alan Partridge (or Alpha Papa) is funny as hell and I say that as someone who was only vaguely familiar with the character beforehand.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Alan Partridge (or Alpha Papa) is funny as hell and I say that as someone who was only vaguely familiar with the character beforehand.

I don't like Coogan at all but kind of really liked that movie.

Just watched Filth...never have I seen such an effective composite disgusting / entertaining movie. Christ, was that hard to watch near the end.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I just watched a slick little exploitation film called Vigilante Force. Highly recommend it for the conclusion alone. It starts out as a pretty standard small town-big gun movie, but it very quickly unfolds into a kind of refreshing satire on vigilante movies.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

K. Waste posted:

I just watched a slick little exploitation film called Vigilante Force. Highly recommend it for the conclusion alone. It starts out as a pretty standard small town-big gun movie, but it very quickly unfolds into a kind of refreshing satire on vigilante movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuGKB75qYG8

Oh my god, that looks loving awful amazing!

bartok
May 10, 2006

outy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuGKB75qYG8

Oh my god, that looks loving awful amazing!

One hell of a cast for an exploitation film. I was sold as soon as I saw the marching band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Any movie which uses any excuse to show Kristofersson shirtless is A-OK in my book. And I haven't seen the Air Wolf guy in holy poo poo, probably since Airwolf (or as a token Aryan guy in some random movie).. He's gotta be pushing 70 by now good lord.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 28, 2014

• Locked thread