Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Tae posted:

Not having "Professional equipment" I.E. having a decent mic and learning how to filter through a program is no excuse honestly. It's so incredibly cheap to sound decent unless your budget is less than 100 bucks.

Fair enough but I think my point still stands. We talk about giantbomb, idlethumbs and crate and crowbar in the same bracket of content quality (or at least I do).

The first two have got had serious investment in them and have been running for years. C&C are just a load of blokes getting pissed in some ones living room with a laptop after work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah he used to post here but got ran out since he'd constantly get into idiotic arguments with people and was a ridiculously smug rear end in a top hat to anyone who dared have a differing opinion than him.

Like he would straight up use his # of followers/subscribers as a measurement of how much more his opinion was worth than us common peasants without big youtube channels.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Please correct me if I'm mixing him up with someone else but I used to listen to a WOW/comedy podcast by a brit dude back in the early 2000s, was that the same guy, who did a like comedy radio serial involving entirely himself doing different voices when he wasn't talking about patch notes?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Sexpansion posted:

I wish I didn't hate the videogames industry so much because I would like to listen to idleThumbs and GB again. But I just can't take all the inside baseball because it all makes me so disgusted.

I'm not really sure what Giantbomb was before Ryan's death, but GB podcasts are usually an hour of them what they played, news, and e-mails. It rarely goes into like what a game is in super technical detail unless they have a guest on like Dave Lang who basically has PTSD flashbacks whenever they talk about the PS3.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.

Tae posted:

I'm not really sure what Giantbomb was before Ryan's death, but GB podcasts are usually an hour of them what they played, news, and e-mails. It rarely goes into like what a game is in super technical detail unless they have a guest on like Dave Lang who basically has PTSD flashbacks whenever they talk about the PS3.

And has at least 20 minutes of what they've eaten that week.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Tae posted:

It used to be more in-depth, but then Ryan went and Patrick left.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Catman Begins posted:

And the new "Ask Dan a story about his past" segment, which then delves into Brad committing mental suicide or becoming more like Dan.

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014

Catman Begins posted:

yea i never quite gotten the appeal of discussing some shity pizza or taco place theyve eaten at for half an hour. is this an american thing?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Tae posted:

I'm not really sure what Giantbomb was before Ryan's death,

You should really go back and listen to old episodes they were incredibly good. The reason they got so successful was the chemistry and atmosphere they created. Ryan and jeff together were hilarious.

It really doesn't matter that they are "old" if you have never listened to back episodes of podcasts before. It's actually quite funny hearing their opinions on games from '08/09 etc.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Gesadt posted:

yea i never quite gotten the appeal of discussing some shity pizza or taco place theyve eaten at for half an hour. is this an american thing?
All I know is as someone in the UK that's looking at a bill of like £30 for two medium pizzas from Dominos their discussions about "cheap pizza" piss me right off.

Jippa posted:

You should really go back and listen to old episodes they were incredibly good. The reason they got so successful was the chemistry and atmosphere they created. Ryan and jeff together were hilarious.

It really doesn't matter that they are "old" if you have never listened to back episodes of podcasts before. It's actually quite funny hearing their opinions on games from '08/09 etc.
I was part way through my second time through old episodes last summer, but I haven't really been able to listen to them since. :( Maybe now I will, though. Every so often I watch those hilarious animated videos on YouTube and feel a hankering for some sweet eShop news.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
Well that was awkward...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Oh god

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I really appreciate how great Video Games Hotdog for having to record or skype or cellphones sometimes.

Compare it to the Insert Credit podcast which just sounds like horrible garbage and the conversation is always being interrupted by lag and the audio cutting out for all the hosts.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Old Swerdlow posted:

I really appreciate how great Video Games Hotdog for having to record or skype or cellphones sometimes.

Yeah, VGHD is good without caveats, but for a mostly cross-country Skype (or whatever) based podcast, it's incredible.

It's the only podcast where all the participants aren't always in the same room I can stand to listen to.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Old Swerdlow posted:

Compare it to the Insert Credit podcast which just sounds like horrible garbage and the conversation is always being interrupted by lag and the audio cutting out for all the hosts.

I am guessing but can no way confirm, that everyone records locally and then they sync in editting. Having a single recorder is generally easier, but you'll always have sound degradation.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Ulta posted:

I am guessing but can no way confirm, that everyone records locally and then they sync in editting. Having a single recorder is generally easier, but you'll always have sound degradation.

Yeah, we record each end locally and then I mix them in editing.

I saw a talk a few years ago by Adam Lisagor where he demonstrated the process of editing You Look Nice Today (which I never knew until then was done via Skype.) He went nuts editing practically every sentence of it for maximum punchiness, even to the point where he'd edit laughs from earlier in the episode if he felt like a later joke didn't get a good enough reaction. It was madness, but given how good the finished product was, it must've been the good kind of madness.

MBMBAM is another one -- I think Griffin spends a TON of time making it not sound like they're in different places.

My editing job is made a lot easier by the fact that only one person is remote.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

We do everything remote and I like to think we do a good job of making it sound natural but it breaks down a lil when we have guests.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I wouldn't be able to tell WOFF and Abject Suffering were Skype shows if I didn't know if from you guys talking about it before. It's snappy and there's very little running over each other.

Retsutalk is a little rougher, for example, but it doesn't bother me that much. The recording quality of The Crate and Crowbar does bother me a little. There's a noticeable hiss, the audio clips occasionally, and sometimes it's hard for me to tell what someone's saying.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The WOFF setup has improved a ton in the last two years, I went back to listen to the Earthbound episode a bit ago as I work my way through the game and Gary sounds like he was recording from a submarine bathroom. Comparing then and now is like night and day.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Woffle posted:

We do everything remote and I like to think we do a good job of making it sound natural but it breaks down a lil when we have guests.
If I didn't read this thread, I would have no idea you two recorded remotely.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jippa posted:

Ryan and Jeff were the Abbott and Costello of video game podcasting/videomaking. :smith:

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The WOFF setup has improved a ton in the last two years, I went back to listen to the Earthbound episode a bit ago as I work my way through the game and Gary sounds like he was recording from a submarine bathroom. Comparing then and now is like night and day.

You're totally right. I was recording in a sub optimal space with a sub optimal mic for a long time. I get sort of cringy listening to a lot of those older shows.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Dragon Quest V kinda does what Jake has been writing Zelda fanfiction about for the past few episodes of Idle Thumbs. I recommend Dragon Quest V to anyone who has a tolerance or enjoyment of JRPGS, so I'm going to use spoiler tags here:

Dragon Quest V follows the story of the player character from birth, to him being an older man with a family. The "legendary hero" in this game turns out to be the player characters son, but he still looks up to the player character as a father and has his own weaknesses that stop him from being a flawless hero. The last chapter of the game lets you have a party that includes your wife and two children. They work together to defeat the EVIL BAD GUYS as a team, without the fact that the son is the legendary hero being important. It's been a while since I played it, so I might be getting some of the details wrong.

Enjoy this awkward live action commercial for the DS version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjyLhg2EwM0

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Dragon Quest V is quite possibly the best game in that series.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

That one episode of VG Hot Dog where the recording screwed up and Riff sounded like he was travelling diagonally through time and space was incredible.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Captain Invictus posted:

My favorite description of what Dan ryckert is is he is an escaped incomplete vat grown person

More or less.

http://nedroid.com/2012/09/refriginald/

Tangential note, nedroid is great :)

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I was at work and couldn't get in on the Total Biscuit bashing but that guy seems like a real twat rear end in a top hat. He got into it with Shawn Elliott (theme) a while back and sort of put a gag on Shawn through Irrational. It was very dumb.

Edit: Didn't mean to use a gendered insult. I was just all hot and bothered about the internet.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 27, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Totalbiscuit always seemed to me like a good-intentions guy whose inescapable vortex of an rear end in a top hat has unfortunately sucked his head into it. He occasionally escapes momentarily to say something poignant before getting pulled back in.

animatorZed posted:

Tangential note, nedroid is great :)
I always forget to read it. I really have to, because every single individual comic I've seen of it are fantastic

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

weird bleep posted:

Dragon Quest V kinda does what Jake has been writing Zelda fanfiction about for the past few episodes of Idle Thumbs. I recommend Dragon Quest V to anyone who has a tolerance or enjoyment of JRPGS, so I'm going to use spoiler tags here:

Dragon Quest V follows the story of the player character from birth, to him being an older man with a family. The "legendary hero" in this game turns out to be the player characters son, but he still looks up to the player character as a father and has his own weaknesses that stop him from being a flawless hero. The last chapter of the game lets you have a party that includes your wife and two children. They work together to defeat the EVIL BAD GUYS as a team, without the fact that the son is the legendary hero being important. It's been a while since I played it, so I might be getting some of the details wrong.

Enjoy this awkward live action commercial for the DS version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjyLhg2EwM0

One of my favorite things about this, too, is how the main character's father is built up as a great hero early on and not only is the legendary hero not your character, if I'm not mistaken the hero's bloodline actually comes from his mother's ancestry rather than your own.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Woffle posted:

I retract my previous statement as I also listen to the whole Duckfeed repertoire, so Skype podcasts fo' life I guess.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Woffle posted:

I was at work and couldn't get in on the Total Biscuit bashing but that guy seems like a real twat rear end in a top hat. He got into it with Shawn Elliott (theme) a while back and sort of put a gag on Shawn through Irrational. It was very dumb.
Holy crap I googled it and you're right, it is very, very dumb. Calling in a PR wonk to make a statement, because someone said someone is "loving gross" on twitter for responding to someone's claim that they won't communicate or work online without being paid for it?

quote:

“We run a popular gaming channel with over one million subscribers and have a Twitter following of almost 190,000. I would like to bring to your attention the fact that Shawn Elliot, one of your employees, posted a derogatory remark earlier today about my employer, namely "loving yuck. @totalbiscuit is truly gross". That remark was deduced from an out-of-context screenshot he had discovered of a partial conversation between my employer and an obnoxious person over Twitter. The image had been circulating on one of 4chan\'s hate threads in the /v/ section, where Shawn or a follower of his might've stumbled upon it.
Without confirming whether that image represented the entire conversation, Shawn proceeded to tweet the aforementioned remark about TotalBiscuit to his 16,000 followers, which include a lot of industry professionals we are in contact with, have collaborated with or wish to in the future (names include Tom Ohle, Ben Kuchera, Evolve PR, Justin Kranzl, etc). Needless to say this tarnishes my employer's image greatly, all because of a misunderstanding.
http://shawnelliott.blogspot.com/2014/09/the-time-that-totalbiscuit-totally-told.html

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 27, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DQV is one of the best RPGs of its era and I wonder if the landscape would have changed if it was localized worldwide. I doubt it would have overshadowed Chrono Trigger or FF6 but prior to the DS releases it may have received a cult following on the level of Earthbound.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

You know what tarnishes your employer's image, buddy? This nonsense.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 27, 2014

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
The part that makes me the sickest is the harping on the number of Twitter followers.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Jesus, and then he wrote like a million loving words on that blog post. Ughhhh.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Al! posted:

The part that makes me the sickest is the harping on the number of Twitter followers.

A few weeks ago Patrick from Giant Bomb did an interview with some of the guys that did that ten hour long Destiny raid and it was weird to me that these guys would harp on the number of followers and subscribers gained for their channels. I wonder if this is just a new measure of success for young people now.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm pretty sure Num_Followers translates directly into advertising dollars, and since Money_Earned is a measurement of how much you are worth as a human being, by the transitive properly of capitalism followers = happiness.

I mean, that might not be all of it but the number of followers is a pretty direct metric on how popular you are, which you used to need to have an election or something for.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I forgot that Sean Elliott was one of the devs that defended the gender-wage gap in video games. TotalBiscuit must be pretty awful to make that guy seem reasonable,

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Jabronie posted:

A few weeks ago Patrick from Giant Bomb did an interview with some of the guys that did that ten hour long Destiny raid and it was weird to me that these guys would harp on the number of followers and subscribers gained for their channels. I wonder if this is just a new measure of success for young people now.

It's a measure of success for those streamers because it directly translates to money in their pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Al! posted:

I forgot that Sean Elliott was one of the devs that defended the gender-wage gap in video games. TotalBiscuit must be pretty awful to make that guy seem reasonable,

the gently caress, really?

• Locked thread