Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Stelas posted:

I'm just sad I filled all the slots for the Mage Knight PBP, I could have had Vlaada haranguing other players

I swear, getting personal messages on BGG from him talking about the ice deck playtest and having him talk about VlaadaCon was one of the best things ever, I'm actually a fanboy apparently. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
in this week's SU&SD paul levels complaints that sound legit against Five Tribes, to which QUinns literally, literally says it's Just Fun.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Countblanc posted:

in this week's SU&SD paul levels complaints that sound legit against Five Tribes, to which QUinns literally, literally says it's Just Fun.
man SUSD jumped a whole sea filled with sharks some time back :(

i honestly like paul a lot more than quinn in terms of analysis

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
this video was actually one of thei rbest in a while as far as analysis i feel. the two disagree a lot in it (they advertised it as the video in which they disagree more than any other) which leads to actual discussion about mechanics and how players interact with them, as well as topics like analysis paralysis/game tempo even if they don't refer to it as such, instead of the usual bit of quinns making head-explode gestures at simple mechanical interactions as paul talks about how smart a game is for having players care about other player's decisions.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Countblanc posted:

this video was actually one of thei rbest in a while as far as analysis i feel. the two disagree a lot in it (they advertised it as the video in which they disagree more than any other) which leads to actual discussion about mechanics and how players interact with them, as well as topics like analysis paralysis/game tempo even if they don't refer to it as such, instead of the usual bit of quinns making head-explode gestures at simple mechanical interactions as paul talks about how smart a game is for having players care about other player's decisions.
im liking the blatant advertising for a lovely youtube series though

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Don't tell me they're plugging Board With Life again. I'll never understand why they decided to hitch themselves to that shitwagon.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Scyther posted:

Don't tell me they're plugging Board With Life again. I'll never understand why they decided to hitch themselves to that shitwagon.
:10bux:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

my favourite part of board with life is when in the intro they are obviously playing 7 wonders and the guy splays out his hand and takes all the coins like they are playing poker

:goonsay:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

i doubt theyre making bank, i think theyre just genuine friends with them - certainly seemed that way at gencon. its still a poo poo show though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

watched second episode of board with life because i like to inflict pain on myself and they have a crazy homeless character with subtitles who's apparently a 'traveler' :downsbravo:

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
is Dead of Winter any good?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Captain Gordon posted:

is Dead of Winter any good?

Did you *read* any of the last two weeks of discussion in either thread? :v:

No. It's not.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
are there any board games that simulate trolling the board game thread of the something awful forums?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

this is it, my friend, this thread is that board game :aaaaa:

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Did you *read* any of the last two weeks of discussion in either thread? :v:

No. It's not.

All i saw was a bunch of people getting mad at the RNG

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

are there any board games that simulate trolling the board game thread of the something awful forums?

i'll make the kickstarter

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

i'll make the kickstarter
ill be the ideas guy

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Captain Gordon posted:

All i saw was a bunch of people getting mad at the RNG
its got lovely not well thought out agendas akin to the agendas for cl in bsg

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

arkham horror

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

stoutfish posted:

arkham horror

dont forget the expansions!

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Five Tribes has perfect information, a million options that change every turn, and non-simultaneous play. Everyone I've seen defending it says it's fine if you just make gut moves and don't think everything through on your turn, but of course you'll need everyone at the table to do that lest one person's 10 minute turns make the game intolerable for everyone else.

So it's only "fun" if everyone at the table is playing like poo poo on purpose. Good job, Bruno.

fake edit: Also it's at its slowest and worst at the START of the game plus I've seen several people say paying anything at all for turn order is a trap.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
I talked to Phil Eklund on googledocs the other day. He seems nice.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Zombie #246 posted:

I talked to Phil Eklund on googledocs the other day. He seems nice.
what, apart from being a die-hard libertarian?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

like, whatever, that's your political leaning, i dont care, but pushing that poo poo in the back of one of your rulebooks seems dishonest at worst

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Tekopo posted:

like, whatever, that's your political leaning, i dont care, but pushing that poo poo in the back of one of your rulebooks seems dishonest at worst

What's the story here

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Oh I didn't know that part :(

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Whats the best board game to play when doing cocaine? 3 players, one eight ball.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Space alert, natch.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Scyther posted:

What's the story here

I did quick search and Pax Porfiriana's rulebook has a 7 page section just for ranting about politics:

quote:

The heavily-regulated banking industry, backed by government funny money, crashed in 2009.

quote:

Monopoly. Another heavily abused word.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Asymmetrikon posted:

Space alert, natch.

i think space alert would work well with speed, the drug

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Gimnbo posted:

I did quick search and Pax Porfiriana's rulebook has a 7 page section just for ranting about politics:

lol what an rear end in a top hat

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Scyther posted:

What's the story here

i think he's referring to the background section of the pax porfiriana rulebook. his political leanings become pretty clear there.

EFB

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gimnbo posted:

Hes right

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Maybe he should spend less time on political lessons, and focus on writing a rulebook that doesn't loving suck.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Or take a graphic design course at a community college.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

if you dont firstpick FARC/26JUL/NLF in COIN games please vacate this thread :frogout:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

if you dont firstpick FARC/26JUL/NLF in COIN games please vacate this thread :frogout:

lol if you dont crush communism under batistas iron heel

and also the moderate student revolutionaries that just want some democratic reforms, but they're probably commies too

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tekopo posted:

can't wait for the eritrean war of independence/somali-ethiopian war COIN game

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Liberian civil war coin game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Zombie #246 posted:

Liberian civil war coin game?

im pretty sure algeria is on the checklist

also why isnt the irish war of independence up next, its probably the one im most interested in

• Locked thread