Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

membranoid
Feb 25, 2001

fart huffer
semen chugger
Does anyone know why the latest starter pack broke true type? How can I fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

membranoid posted:

Does anyone know why the latest starter pack broke true type? How can I fix this?

I am pretty sure TrueType doesn't work with TWBT

Elth posted:

Actually it looks like a set of clear colour-coded symbols rather than tiny pixel art of what the artist thinks a thing looks like.
:goonsay:

This is why I use CLA, its the best of both worlds: ASCII-like symbols that are easier on the eyes.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Elth posted:

Except most texture packs look like poo poo and I end up having to examine every blob of pixels manually to figure out what they are.

Sorry to keep this going but I don't get how anyone can think the default ASCII gives more information than a graphics pack. Off the top of my head, one example with a graphics pack you can tell the exact makeup of a force of invaders at a glance - bowmen, swordsmen etc. With the default ASCII you can't even tell if they're goblins without examining the tile, they could be a swarm of goats or groundhogs or something.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I have a little question regarding lava. Can you pump it continously without an off switch? If so, could I design a lava pool in the following way?
code:
|                         A       |
|____ ______                      |
     C      |                     |
            |---------------------|
            |                     |
            |                     |
            |_____________________B
A is where the lava gets pumped in.
B is a closeable drain. When it is open, the frontgate is blocked by a waterfall made of lava.
C indicates a set of shafts which also serve as skylights for the main dining hall.

The idea is that the front gate can be opened for a while. But if you leave it open for to long, the basin overflows and outlet C kills the fortress. The pumps should be be fast enough to raise lava while B is closed. But usually the basin should get drained quickly. Furthermore, it should take a while until the gauge reaches C, so the pool probably needs to be quite large.

Are there any structural problems with that design? What measurements would you suggest? Obviously nothing could ever go wrong once it is running.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
ASCII is all about representing complex information with simple visuals. You know everything you need to know about a given unit just with 2 things, character and colour. Graphic packs try to cram as much visual information into the smallest space possible and it ends up looking noisy and confusing. I think a lot of information in DF is accessed at a glance. Squinting at the tiny mass of pixels trying to differentiate between a dwarf miner and a woodcutter takes a lot longer than just glancing at your fort and seeing a grey smiley face and a light yellow smiley face.

membranoid
Feb 25, 2001

fart huffer
semen chugger

necrotic posted:

I am pretty sure TrueType doesn't work with TWBT

This is why I use CLA, its the best of both worlds: ASCII-like symbols that are easier on the eyes.

Is there a way to disable TWBT easily?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

TWBT was conceived to do TrueType's job since it's been a busted flickering mess from the start, but it's your loss, I guess. In the inits:

1.) Flip GRAPHICS to NO, or:
2.) Make sure the FONT/GRAPHICS_FONT pairs use the same tileset, or:
3.) Rename twbt.dll from \hack\plugins to something inert.

membranoid
Feb 25, 2001

fart huffer
semen chugger
Thanks for the answer scamtank, but if what you say is the case, does it support a smaller font yet? It's just a little jarring since I've been using TrueType so long.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

I don't know how outdated the mess in your starter pack is, but version 5.12 has had all the nextgen features merged into a single branch. It will reconcile two fonts of any size to look right.

My setup looks like this. 6x10 with 15x15, perfect scaling.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

scamtank posted:

I don't know how outdated the mess in your starter pack is, but version 5.12 has had all the nextgen features merged into a single branch. It will reconcile two fonts of any size to look right.

Latest Windows LNP uses TWBT 3.43. I think there was some issues he was having problems with in newer version or something. Either way I'm using the latest LNP and it looks way better than before.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yeah, that's pretty basic. The version 3.xx branch can't really do scaling properly. If the two tilesets aren't exactly the same size, they get the chunky jaggies something awful.

There were some bugs in the better branch when the two were still separate, but he's made big strides after he got the people in his thread to harvest crash dumps.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
Apart from assigning woodcutting tasks, is there any way to arm civilians as they wander about doing their usually non-violent things? I mean something like have them carry around shortswords or hammers.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
I think you can assign your civilians to military squads, set their uniform to wear over clothing and only include a weapon, set the squads to equip their uniform when off-duty, set the civ squads to inactive, and pray to Fikod Brazennakeds the dwarven god of equipment that they won't just sit there canceling and readding an equip sock job when they can only find 1 of 2 socks. Although my military squads seem to drop off their weapons when going off duty anyway so that may not work.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Make everybody a miner. Those picks loving hurt as long as they're made of something harder than copper.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That's not a bad idea. Can undiscovered zones be declared as burrows? I've never really messed around with them. My idea is setting everyone as miners, but making areas that I want to dig out into burrows so that only my dedicated miners dig (otherwise no hauling would ever be done) and letting them go that way.

I guess the other option would be to set everyone as lumberjacks. That wouldn't cause as huge a problem especially now that you don't need to clearcut a ten mile square of dense rainforest to furnish a single bedroom anymore.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

ASCII is all about representing complex information with simple visuals. You know everything you need to know about a given unit just with 2 things, character and colour. Graphic packs try to cram as much visual information into the smallest space possible and it ends up looking noisy and confusing. I think a lot of information in DF is accessed at a glance. Squinting at the tiny mass of pixels trying to differentiate between a dwarf miner and a woodcutter takes a lot longer than just glancing at your fort and seeing a grey smiley face and a light yellow smiley face.

Like I said here before I also just like the idea of a giant, monstrous spider being reduced to a capital letter C, the fact that something so abstract lets you imagine something horrible.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I've not really had any problems with this in the Phoebus tileset, as the sprites for the different dwarf jobs uses the ASCII color as the primary component of their outfit, so even at a glance I can identify my dwarves pretty easily. Miners are mostly dark grey, woodworkers yellow, craftsdwarves blue, nobles purple, stoneworkers white, farmers brown, etc.

It's pretty rare that I encounter a mass of pixels that doesn't make much sense to look at, and generally it's only with stuff that can be safely ignored, like giant louse women or kestrels.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

scamtank posted:

Could you go into a little more detail of this set up? I really like the look of that and would like to replicate.

I am a graphics tile user, but just tried vanilla ASCII for a bit and can definitely see some of the positives of it. That said, the rectangles ruin it for me and I don't want to go quite that 'hardcore'.

I did also try CLA for a few and it seemed to strike a good balance.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I'll add to the graphics vs sperglords debate here for a minute, because the greatest thing about current dwarf fortress is mousewheel zooming. Tilesets (specifically SpaceFox) looks kind of like old school NES graphics when you zoom them in all the way, which I think is neat.

(I can totally use ASCII, Rogue/ADAM/Dungeon Crawl 4 lyfe)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

An eggplant devil. :iit:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

TJChap2840 posted:

Could you go into a little more detail of this set up? I really like the look of that and would like to replicate.

It involves a magic little plugin called Text Will Be Text. It hijacks a bunch of rendering processes through DFHack to do its thing.

What it lets you do is use one tileset for menus and text (and the screens that aren't supported yet, natch) and one for the playing field, reconciling the size automatically. It even bypasses the hardcoded 80-tile minimum display width, letting you use massive tiles even with a 4:3 screen. There's even an option to render multiple Z-levels at once, but that's a different kind of awesome.

I'm using Bedstead 6x10 for the text and Vidumec 15x15 for the map. When you have the right version of the plugin in the right place (\Dwarf Fortress\hack\plugins) and the tile sheets, you open up the inits.

Your PRINT_MODE must be TWBT and GRAPHICS must be YES. FONT and FULLFONT tilesets are used for the text, GRAPHIC_FONT and GRAPHIC_FULLFONT for the map. If you're running all ASCII, note that this will activate the pointless sample creature graphics that Toady has included with the game. Delete those first.

That should cover everything possible, I think.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 25, 2014

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Do you mess up with fullfontx and fullfonty at all? When I do the above, I either get a tiny tiny font or it stretches out when I maximise.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I don't. :confused: Do you have a screenshot handy?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

scamtank posted:

I don't. :confused: Do you have a screenshot handy?

yup, here you go.

Tiny:

Stretched:

Using df 40_13 r2 if that helps

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The first one looks 100% right. It's just a tiny font. :shobon: Keep in mind, the already petite curses_640x300.png is 8 by 12 pixels. That's 6 and 10!

As for options, Bedstead has a doubled 12x20 variant as well. The Victor 9000 10x16 isn't bad either. Andux 8x12 is a pretty fancy replacement for the old 640x300.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 25, 2014

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Wow, bedstead 12x20 is fabulous, cheers!

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

Seeing a weird behavior I've never seen in DF. I have a garbage zone. I have designated some marble to dump. Nobody has dumped anything and there are 20 idlers. Almost all dwarves have all the hauling labors enabled. There are no burrows in use. Everything is inside. I'm at a loss!

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

HerrBrau posted:

Seeing a weird behavior I've never seen in DF. I have a garbage zone. I have designated some marble to dump. Nobody has dumped anything and there are 20 idlers. Almost all dwarves have all the hauling labors enabled. There are no burrows in use. Everything is inside. I'm at a loss!

Is the garbage zone above an area? At least one Z level higher? Dwarves refuse to throw refuse away on a level surface - there has to be a chance someone gets their head smashed in with stray horse nervous tissue from above or there is just no fun in taking out the garbage.

Hope this helps.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Is the garbage zone above an area? At least one Z level higher? Dwarves refuse to throw refuse away on a level surface - there has to be a chance someone gets their head smashed in with stray horse nervous tissue from above or there is just no fun in taking out the garbage.

Hope this helps.
This has not been my experience - all my garbage dumps are always level (until I make the incinerator chute)

however, did you check to make sure the zone is (a)ctive? That might be it.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

HerrBrau posted:

I had the same problem earlier in the thread. If the garbage zone is on not-rock (soil, sand etc.) even if it's inside, try moving it onto rock. This worked for me for some reason.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Squinting at the tiny mass of pixels trying to differentiate between a dwarf miner and a woodcutter takes a lot longer than just glancing at your fort and seeing a grey smiley face and a light yellow smiley face.

But most tilesets do have different colors for different professions so you can still tell at a glance what job a dwarf has...

It's just all what you get used to. Fwiw I couldn't play with ASCII and learned with a tileset and because of that can now use strictly ASCII just fine.

Air is lava! posted:

I have a little question regarding lava. Can you pump it continously without an off switch? If so, could I design a lava pool in the following way?
code:
|                         A       |
|____ ______                      |
     C      |                     |
            |---------------------|
            |                     |
            |                     |
            |_____________________B
A is where the lava gets pumped in.
B is a closeable drain. When it is open, the frontgate is blocked by a waterfall made of lava.
C indicates a set of shafts which also serve as skylights for the main dining hall.

The idea is that the front gate can be opened for a while. But if you leave it open for to long, the basin overflows and outlet C kills the fortress. The pumps should be be fast enough to raise lava while B is closed. But usually the basin should get drained quickly. Furthermore, it should take a while until the gauge reaches C, so the pool probably needs to be quite large.

Are there any structural problems with that design? What measurements would you suggest? Obviously nothing could ever go wrong once it is running.

The only thing that immediately comes to mind is a screw pump operates FAST and might fill the basin faster than the lava can go out the drain leading to lava at C regardless of whether the drain is open or not. Just make sure the drain is sufficient to drain lava quick enough (1 square open isn't going to cut it probably).

But yeah just hook up the screw pump to a windmill and it'll never shut off. You can attach a lever to a gear that connects the pump to the mill if you wanted to have a switch just in case (the gear acts as if deconstructed when off though, so don't attach the lever to the gear directly under the windmill or the mill will also deconstruct every time).

e: oh and you've probably already thought of this but you're going to need grates where the lava drains off in front of the front doors because otherwise you'll have a lava pool blocking the path regardless of whether the door is open or not.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 26, 2014

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

Aethernet posted:

I had the same problem earlier in the thread. If the garbage zone is on not-rock (soil, sand etc.) even if it's inside, try moving it onto rock. This worked for me for some reason.
It's on rock / a level surface, though I usually try building them next to a staircase. Maybe that matters somehow...

EDIT: Ok, so, that was it. As soon as I created a garbage zone outside at the edge of a cliff they started dumping things. Never seen this before in any previous version - strange!

herr brau fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 26, 2014

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Air is lava! posted:

I don't have the answer to that question, but I have to say that just might be the best post/avatar combination I've ever seen.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Does the screw pump still do that thing where it will take any depth of fluid (e.g. 1/7) and output a full square of fluid (7/7)?

reading
Jul 27, 2013
How do I add a new type of meat to an animal that will appear upon being butchered?

And is it even possible to add different types of leather for the same creature?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

reading posted:

How do I add a new type of meat to an animal that will appear upon being butchered?

And is it even possible to add different types of leather for the same creature?

1.) It's pretty complicated to do it through the proper channels. Would just a few chunks of beef suffice? You could use the EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT tag to smuggle it onto existing body parts.

[EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:BY_CATEGORY:GIZZARD]
[EBO_ITEM:SMALLGEM:NONE:ANY_HARD_STONE]
[EBO_SHAPE:GIZZARD_STONE]

This is something that all birds have. It dictates that butchering a gizzard (along with the upper body) also drops a handful of gems made from some random stone, cut in the creepy GIZZARD_STONE shape. You could use this tag to make body parts and vital organs drop a chunk of MEAT:NONE:READINGS_NEW_FLESH along with what they actually put out according to the anatomy.

2.) Have you ever thought about how skin knows what it should turn into in a tanner's hands? The basic skin template has a MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT tag.

[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER]

It basically says "if a reaction asks for TAN_MAT stuff and wants to know what it should produce, give them whatever passes for LEATHER in the source creature's anatomy". You could add another roadsign like this, but instead of the label being TAN_MAT and it dictating creature leather, your new alternative tanning reaction could look for a label MIDAS_OWNS which would make the cured slab of leather come out as pure gold instead.

If you want the same creature to put out multiple types of leather on a single butchering, it's a little trickier. The creature needs to have at least some of its skin be a whole new skin material instead which has its own TAN_MAT roadsign pointing towards some other material of your choosing.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

scamtank posted:

1.) It's pretty complicated to do it through the proper channels. Would just a few chunks of beef suffice? You could use the EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT tag to smuggle it onto existing body parts.

[EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:BY_CATEGORY:GIZZARD]
[EBO_ITEM:SMALLGEM:NONE:ANY_HARD_STONE]
[EBO_SHAPE:GIZZARD_STONE]

This is something that all birds have. It dictates that butchering a gizzard (along with the upper body) also drops a handful of gems made from some random stone, cut in the creepy GIZZARD_STONE shape. You could use this tag to make body parts and vital organs drop a chunk of MEAT:NONE:READINGS_NEW_FLESH along with what they actually put out according to the anatomy.

2.) Have you ever thought about how skin knows what it should turn into in a tanner's hands? The basic skin template has a MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT tag.

[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER]

It basically says "if a reaction asks for TAN_MAT stuff and wants to know what it should produce, give them whatever passes for LEATHER in the source creature's anatomy". You could add another roadsign like this, but instead of the label being TAN_MAT and it dictating creature leather, your new alternative tanning reaction could look for a label MIDAS_OWNS which would make the cured slab of leather come out as pure gold instead.

If you want the same creature to put out multiple types of leather on a single butchering, it's a little trickier. The creature needs to have at least some of its skin be a whole new skin material instead which has its own TAN_MAT roadsign pointing towards some other material of your choosing.

I just can't get this to work.

One issue is that I'm not able to appropriately give a CASTE a different body part. Say I want to make a pegasus creature, where only the males have wings, if I copy the ant's raw and do:

code:
[CASTE:FEMALE]
        [FEMALE]
[CASTE:MALE]
	[MALE]
[SELECT_CASTE:MALE]
        [BODY:QUADRUPED_NECK_HOOF:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:MOUTH:TONGUE:GENERIC_TEETH:RIBCAGE:2WINGS]
        [FLIER]
This doesn't give me a species where the females have the normal quadruped body plan, but the males have that and 2WINGS which I added at the end of the body plan. Rather it just messes up stuff strangely, like attacks in the arena "pass through" all the body parts.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know what might be causing dwarves to take a super long time to complete a simple "Make some stone doors" job? For the dwarf in question I turned off all hauling, only had masonry active, and the dwarf probably completed doors at the rate of 1 per couple of days. Annoyed by this I set several other dwarves to masonry as well, but it was still super slow. What gives?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Is he taking stones to the workshop slooooooooowly by hand across the entire map? Or is there a stockpile near him with stone he is allowed to use? Or is he like trying to drag a single chunk of cinnabar across your entire fort? Set up a stockpile for non-economic/ore stones next to your workshop, and give it some wheelbarrows, it should help if that is the problem.

Other than that, uh... how skilled is he? I think skill affects masonry speed, but don't quote me on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

GenericOverusedName posted:

Is he taking stones to the workshop slooooooooowly by hand across the entire map? Or is there a stockpile near him with stone he is allowed to use? Or is he like trying to drag a single chunk of cinnabar across your entire fort? Set up a stockpile for non-economic/ore stones next to your workshop, and give it some wheelbarrows, it should help if that is the problem.

Other than that, uh... how skilled is he? I think skill affects masonry speed, but don't quote me on that.

This was a pretty poorly designed fort, but there was basically one big stockpile for everything in the fort next to every single workshop.

Been a while since I played, how do I designate non-economic stone, or make wheelbarrows that will be used by the dwarves?