Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

I guess I can see why the game gets such hate now, every cool feature is literally just a haphazardly implemented gimmick that serves no purpose other than being cool and act as a replacement for "push button to have something neat happen"

*wince*

Okay, here's the rub. It's bioshock, so you get a creditable shooter in a neat environment with a backstory that unfolds as you move through. Everything you saw in the lead up to release was effectively what they wanted to have done, but in the end the universe switching became choosing an option on the 'arena' that you'd be fighting in, and the skyhook battles are effectively tacked onto the arena, rather than being integral.

If you're not used to the gaming bait'n'switch by now...lets just say that pre-ordering without at least reviews is akin to slamming your testicles (or testicle analog, ladies) in a closet door.

The game gets hate because people expected more and got less. What you are getting is a novel setting, more great writing (and to anyone that doesn't believe this, link your game and we'll compare) and a couple of places that will make you slightly uncomfortable if you're vaguely libertarian. I thoroughly enjoyed it at full price, although I've not been back for the DLC yet, but as ever, YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Hav posted:

*wince*

Okay, here's the rub. It's bioshock, so you get a creditable shooter in a neat environment with a backstory that unfolds as you move through. Everything you saw in the lead up to release was effectively what they wanted to have done, but in the end the universe switching became choosing an option on the 'arena' that you'd be fighting in, and the skyhook battles are effectively tacked onto the arena, rather than being integral.

If you're not used to the gaming bait'n'switch by now...lets just say that pre-ordering without at least reviews is akin to slamming your testicles (or testicle analog, ladies) in a closet door.

The game gets hate because people expected more and got less. What you are getting is a novel setting, more great writing (and to anyone that doesn't believe this, link your game and we'll compare) and a couple of places that will make you slightly uncomfortable if you're vaguely libertarian. I thoroughly enjoyed it at full price, although I've not been back for the DLC yet, but as ever, YMMV.

Ah yes, if you haven't written a game before, you can't judge the quality of a video game story.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - I think he meant link a game you thought was better.

Hav, you're trying to be civil, and I respect that, and you tangentially, but what I can't respect is your wrong opinion about the quality of Bioshock Infinite other than the environmental art and Elizabeth's animation and VA, and I guess those alt-reality song covers that you people liked.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 26, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
My videogame got reviewed well with Russian and Polish reviewers

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

K. Flaps posted:

Ah yes, if you haven't written a game before, you can't judge the quality of a video game story.

That's how the Nestalgia fans trapped me. They told me I couldn't complain about the game until I had developed my own! Can't argue with that. Later in the day I complained about a canned light burning out I had just installed but I realized, "Well I definitely can't make a better light bulb, so I guess I'm just an idiot and should be quiet about it."

In that moment I was euphoric. Not because of my own intellect. But because, I am enlightened by video game players.

But to answer Deakul's question: If you are a crazy dude that can't "quit get mad at video games" you might be upset at the writing, but most people don't care. The game is definitely worth $6.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Resident Evil 6 is tempting me at $10 gmg bux. How active is the online community?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Resident Evil 6 is tempting me at $10 gmg bux. How active is the online community?

It's dead and RE6 is terrible. Don't buy it ffs

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
ArcheAge's entire patching process resets even if you close the window after it has downloaded, but before it's entirely decompressed. :wtc:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Except for a bit of L4D influence where you can optionally allow players to join your game as a zombie and attack you, it's a co-op game. Unless you want to deal with completely random people playing with you, get a friend.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Hmmm, I trust your opinion corn in the bible. I will keep my gmgbux

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Resident Evil 5 is still the best Resident Evil game.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
What's the mouselook like in Resident Evil 4? Played it already on the Wii but I have the urge to get it again for PC.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

moot the hopple posted:

What's the mouselook like in Resident Evil 4? Played it already on the Wii but I have the urge to get it again for PC.

It makes the game much worse by making it too easy. Otherwise it's fine.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Bioshock infinite was definitely overhyped and overscored in reviews, but it's okay. It's probably a good use of $6, there are almost certainly far, far worse purchases in your steam library. The story is a bit dumb and the shooting is hardly remarkable, but the world it's in is kind of neat (as you can expect from a bioshock game) and it's quite pretty. It didn't poo poo on a three legged puppy like some people seem to think.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

moot the hopple posted:

You can either play with the setting where the mouse emulates a Wii-mote, which means there's a very weird and hard to get used to dead zone when you first move your aim. Basically you'll need a lot of mouse movement for a relatively small amount of screen movement.

Or you can use the setting which emulates mouse movement perfectly and really speeds up aiming. Speeds up aiming to the point where it makes the game really easy.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Arnold of Soissons posted:

cool I picked up the 4pack and have 2 copies waiting, message me on Steam whenever
http://steamcommunity.com/id/minifigs/

e: bandwidth chat: its 410MB :stonk:

Will add as 8-Bit Anarch, but can't pay til after work this afternoon.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Hello, Steam thread!

I have shittons of games and not enough time.

Can you rate and/or rank these games?

Red Faction: Armageddon
F.E.A.R. 2
The Darkness 2
Crysis 2
The Bureau
Sniper Elite V2

Thank you!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kennel posted:

Hello, Steam thread!

F.E.A.R. 2
The Darkness 2
Crysis 2
The Bureau
Sniper Elite V2

Thank you!

Honestly all of those are that mediocre kind of good game. I'd probably put Crysis 2 and Darkness 2 at the top though, because I probably only think less of them because I like the first game a lot more.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'll be the disenting voice and say two things about RE6.

1) The core gameplay is the most fun you'll ever have in the franchise if you like action brawlers. Mercenaries is stupid fun, especially No Mercy (300 enemies instead of 150 in a small map). There's a goon-run group for organizing multiplayer of any kind.

2) The campaigns are complete pieces of poo poo. But they become bearable and fun with a coop partner.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Kennel posted:

Hello, Steam thread!

F.E.A.R. 2
The Darkness 2
Crysis 2
The Bureau
Sniper Elite V2

Thank you!

Red Faction: Armageddon Fun if you like chucking space bugs against walls/ destroying shanty towns with physics
The Darkness 2 Great, with lots of nice touches, bit short and gory. Nice co-op missions. Awesome art style amd executions
Crysis 2 Unquestionably the greatest FPS ever created. Play it twice, second time on PHW.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Azran posted:

Oh hey, Starpoint Gemini 2 released from Early Access today.

Is it the second coming of Freelancer without requiring 30 hours of tutorials to play? Or just another space game that fails to be as good as it should be?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Kennel posted:

Hello, Steam thread!

F.E.A.R. 2
The Darkness 2
Crysis 2
The Bureau
Sniper Elite V2

Thank you!

The Darkness 2 is a fun and stylish FPS with some neat mechanics. The Bureau is really stylish and has a great atmosphere, but the gameplay is poo poo. Dunno about the rest of them

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kennel posted:

Hello, Steam thread!

F.E.A.R. 2
The Darkness 2
Crysis 2
The Bureau
Sniper Elite V2

Thank you!

The Bureau is a questionably competent Mass Effect squad style game.
Sniper Elite V2 is a bad game that is tolerable dependent on how much you enjoy excessively gory Nazi explosion.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

So Neverending Nightmares is out. Has anyone tried it yet? It looks creepy and I've had my eye on it for a while but heard it's quite short, like 3 hours type short.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is a cool game and all but what the gently caress were they thinking when designing that mine puzzle?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Thanks guys, I'll probably install The Darkness and throw others to The Pile. I've got better games in the backlog but haven't played an FPS in a while.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Kennel posted:

Hello, Steam thread!

Red Faction: Armageddon: EDIT: Mixed this up with Guerilla. Armageddon is okay. The environments are super-samey but you can gently caress up parts of them real good and you're basically holding the trigger down through the whole game.

F.E.A.R. 2: Better than a lot of goons like to say. Not as good as the first and has a lot of annoying QTEs, but the shooting is pretty fun and it's still a good looking game today. Play it if you like shooting people a lot.

The Darkness 2: Really good. Dunno if you played the first but it trades in some of the moodier atmosphere for a bolder look and less story. Shooting and abilities are hella fun. Super short, though - I beat it in about 5 hours so if you're looking to knock something off your backlog in a night, here you go.

Crysis 2: Worth a shot, also pretty short. I also think it's better than the first. The New York setting and musical score really made it feel like a summer scifi blockbuster. The suit powers were a lot smoother to use and got rid of some redundancy. Not near as open as the first, though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

BobTheJanitor posted:

Is it the second coming of Freelancer without requiring 30 hours of tutorials to play? Or just another space game that fails to be as good as it should be?

The last beta I played showed a lot of promise. My main concern was how little it explained.

Also it plays more like an open star fleet command than Freelancer. There's even different combat controls for smaller vessels and the larger turret ships.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

What are the chances of the Steam fall sale happening in the next few weeks? I kinda want to get Wasteland 2.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Eruonen posted:

What are the chances of the Steam fall sale happening in the next few weeks? I kinda want to get Wasteland 2.

Decent. That said it would be highly abnormal for Wasteland 2 to be on sale any time soon.

Matthaeus
Aug 1, 2013

Eruonen posted:

The last fall sale was in late November so the chances seem low.

Matthaeus fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 26, 2014

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Eruonen posted:

It's 27 USD on nuuvem.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

What you are getting is a novel setting, more great writing (and to anyone that doesn't believe this, link your game and we'll compare) and a couple of places that will make you slightly uncomfortable if you're vaguely libertarian.

The Void, which also has the bonus of not equivocating the persecuted with the persecutors.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Eruonen posted:

The chances of Wasteland 2 being discounted in the Thanksgiving sale are basically nil since it literally just came out.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The chances of Wasteland 2 being discounted in the Thanksgiving sale are basically nil since it literally just came out.

I've seen weirder things.

Got it via GMG with a 25% off coupon anyway. I doubt it'll go for more than that in a long time.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

^^^ - I think he meant link a game you thought was better.

Yep, I missed a bunch of words.

Drifter posted:

Hav, you're trying to be civil, and I respect that, and you tangentially, but what I can't respect is your wrong opinion about the quality of Bioshock Infinite other than the environmental art and Elizabeth's animation and VA, and I guess those alt-reality song covers that you people liked.

What do you mean 'you people'?

I didn't understand what you were saying there. You didn't think the environment was neat?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hav posted:

What do you mean 'you people'?

I didn't understand what you were saying there. You didn't think the environment was neat?

Bioshock apologists. :argh:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Eruonen posted:

Goons are also offering it up in the trading thread for around $20-$25.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Kennel posted:

Thanks guys, I'll probably install The Darkness and throw others to The Pile. I've got better games in the backlog but haven't played an FPS in a while.

I guess you consider your question answered, but I was halfway through a writeup on all of those games so I might as well finish it.

They're basically all three-quarters of a really good game. Each of them have interesting mechanics that aren't fleshed out or are squashed by the intrusion or failure of other mechanics. If you're the kind of person who nerds out over game design then they're probably all must-plays. If you're a regular person who plays games to have fun then you can feel free to skip any or all of them.

RF:A has some neat toys and building destruction but is hampered by boring and claustrophobic level design and poor enemy design. If you're willing to put up with a lot of corridor shooting and don't let the game trick you into using bullet weapons then there's still fun to be had. The various explosive and energy weapons are really cool, and sometimes the building destruction matters in a fight (although it's still rad when it's just a background thing).

Fear 2 has pretty bland enemy design that can get a bit bullet-spongy, and it's too stingy with its cool, unique weapons. The horror elements may or may not work for you--compared to the first game there's less of the creeping dread style of horror and more emphasis on jump scares. Also there's a naked teenager and that's really off-putting. But slo-mo shooting soldiers apart with the SPAS is aces and the level design is solid.

Darkness 2 has some brawling mechanics that could be neat but never get really developed and a surprisingly wide set of upgrades that aren't terribly well balanced. It also totally drops the ball at the end of the "is it all in his head" subplot. Level design isn't anything to write home about--standard "squiggly-line with collectibles at dead ends" affair. But it's got some fun moments during the talky bits (you can usually head right to the end of them if they're not your thing) and every now and again the combat really clicks.

Crysis 2, compared to the first game, has massively more fluid power use and the suit upgrade system adds some depth, but a lot of the other mechanics fall flat. The aliens are redesigned to be more fun to fight, but they're still not as fun as rampaging through hapless human soldiers which you get to do all too rarely. Level design is a huge step back from the first game; the open environments with a large number of approaches are replaced with a series of enclosed arenas with two or three paths through. However the design is very stealth-friendly, if that's your thing.

The Bureau is a mess. It's a pretty clear example of a game with a troubled development, including some changes made far later than they should have been. To its credit, it does manage to integrate third-person shooter and tactical squad management gameplay, but some of the mechanics that support that are a bit unintuitive (cover doesn't just make enemies harder to hit, but reduces damage when they are hit--on the flip side flanking an enemy give you huge damage boosts) thanks the the RPG-lite approach to gunplay. If you're prepared to constantly micromanage your squad and are willing to put up with some jank (especially when it comes to the conversations--it's pretty obvious the script got changed after the VA work was done) there's a game to be played, but even at its best it is unspectacular.

Sniper Elite V2 is a game you play entirely for the bullet cam. Outside of the sniping, the gunplay is subpar, and the stealth mechanics are extremely basic. Generally once you've alerted one enemy, all enemies in the area will rush you until you or they are dead. The level design also doesn't really support sniping in a lot of situations, frequently requiring you to fight in close quarters. But the sniping is pretty fun when you get to do it. I've heard V3 fixes a lot of the systemic problems V2 had, so maybe just play that instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hwordhan
Sep 27, 2012

Ask me about the taste of a video game character's breast milk!
I know it's a staple to complain about FpointEpointApointRpoint's installation size but why the gently caress is van Helsing almost 20 gigs. :psyduck:
Is it too much to ask for some kind off compression?

• Locked thread