Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

To be fair, it was my first game of EotS. Lesson learnt! (also that stack of japanese units in the sea near Davao are my reinforcements for this turn. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

As an analysis, I am very, VERY impressed with EotS. It always looked like a game too big for me but it is actually quite easy once you get into the swing of it. I think I was put off by the turn 1 26 activation IAI N.1 and didn't see that the game is much easier later on. I think it's a good idea to do the historical invasion in turn 1 anyway, or you can miss some stuff that isn't immediately obvious. Can't wait to give it another try.

EDIT: Also, I love CDGs that use low ops cards intelligently, and this one really delivers. Basically low ops cards in this game are still awesome because you can use them for localized offensives which won't draw enemy carriers from half the map to counter you. Those low ops become incredibly powerful when used in this way because using high ops becomes pretty dangerous.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 26, 2014

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've always wanted to get into board game wargaming. I've played some PC wargames (Hearts of Iron, C:TGW, WinSPMBT, etc.) but never any board games really. I think I'll hang out in the IRC chat sometime this weekend and see if someone can show me a game on Vassal - I'm more interested in counter/block games as opposed to CDGs, but I'm willing to give anything a try! I think I tried to play Twilight Struggle once, but it was late and night and I wasn't really absorbing the rules at the time.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

What sort of era/game are you interested in? There's quite a lot of introductionary WWII stuff and the OP of the thread has some good starter, but it really depends on personal tastes.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

What sort of era/game are you interested in? There's quite a lot of introductionary WWII stuff and the OP of the thread has some good starter, but it really depends on personal tastes.

I like the look of C&C: Napoleonics, Strike of the Eagle, and Rommel in the Desert. I don't really like the look of some of the other C&C games, but maybe that's just my addiction to NATO counters making me twitch when I see figures used in a game :)

Era-wise I'm interested in WWs I & II, and I know there's no shortage of games in that range. Battle for Canada looks pretty neat too. I guess I just need to try one, see what I do/don't like about it, and go from there!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

C&C, especially Napoleonics, is very good but I sort of mildly dislike Memoir '44 because the game system really doesn't represent WWII that well, the idea of only certain flanks being able to move makes less sense when the communication systems in WWII were much better than their Napoleonics/ACW counterparts.

By Battle for Canada, do you mean 1812? It is probably one of the lightest wargames out there, but it isn't a bad one and I would recommend if you are trying to get less wargame-oriented friends into the hobby. For WWII I would recommend stuff like No Retreat or Red Winter or even (at a stretch) some of the smaller scenarios of Unconditional Surrender. For WWI there isn't much that isn't pretty complex already, unfortunately.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

C&C, especially Napoleonics, is very good but I sort of mildly dislike Memoir '44 because the game system really doesn't represent WWII that well, the idea of only certain flanks being able to move makes less sense when the communication systems in WWII were much better than their Napoleonics/ACW counterparts.

By Battle for Canada, do you mean 1812? It is probably one of the lightest wargames out there, but it isn't a bad one and I would recommend if you are trying to get less wargame-oriented friends into the hobby. For WWII I would recommend stuff like No Retreat or Red Winter or even (at a stretch) some of the smaller scenarios of Unconditional Surrender. For WWI there isn't much that isn't pretty complex already, unfortunately.

I had looked at Red Winter, but hadn't seen No Retreat - both of those look good. I am a sucker for anything in the Soviet theater, so those look great.

I'll probably find some rules and play around with them in Vassal to see if I can get the hang of one or the other before pestering people in IRC.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
What timezone are you in? I'd be up for some No Retreat in the weekend.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Morholt posted:

What timezone are you in? I'd be up for some No Retreat in the weekend.

EST

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Played my first full game of FitL today (we got to 4 coups in about 5 hours or so). I was played VC (again) and things looked grim for the commies at the start since the US got an event that allowed him to place irregulars in combodia/laos and then airstrike taking out bases first, which meant that was 3 VC and 3 NVA bases right off the bat. This meant that the US was strong at the start and after the first coup he actually withdrew troops to push him over the limit. The ARVN couldn't keep his patronage up due to constant training by the US (which soured relations). We got to after the second coup with the US being very close to victory, me as the VC building up and the NVA just having to rebuild almost completely (he didn't manage to get troops on the board until after the first coup.

By the time that the second coup came and went, we had pretty much everyone being able to use their pivotal event. Things got very tense then. The NVA got an event that got him 10 troops next to North Vietnam. He would have been destroyed by the US, but he played his pivotal right when the US would have destroyed them. The ARVN, after much deliberation (and with the threat that I was going to trump him even though I wasn't set up for it), didn't trump with his pivotal. The Easter Offensive would go ahead. The US lost 6 troops and a base all at once, while the ARVN got whacked in the south. I added some more US casualties by ambushing afterwards.

Unfortunately, the NVA was 2 away from victory by then, so me and the US got into arguments about me trumping his Pivotal or not. After making sure he couldn't win, I let his pivotal play and the NVA got whacked to ensure he couldn't go over the limit. By this time, I had got a couple of good events that allowed me to have several VC underground in many cities/provinces: a perfect time for the Tet Offensive. I got sweeped in most of them but a lucky Coup allowed (and equally lucky control of Saigon after it was left undefended) allowed me to do the Tet right after the coup, to extremely good effect and pushing me over the top/gaining me both the control of Saigon and active opposition there.

I became the target then and by this time the US had lost too many troops to do and was quickly losing support thanks to govern actions by the ARVN. The NVA had pretty much conquered the north and was now fighting for Hue. Things got extremely tense. I was kind of out of the game because of my lack of bases/economy and the US was out too, but it came down to the NVA managing to creep over the limit just as a coup came. It came to my decision, with the ARVN being the only one able to stop the NVA with a transport: but only if I gave him the special operation, and if I did, he would win with a govern. With the decision in my hand, I decided to let the NVA win (we realised that the ARVN could have stopped the NVA victory with a limited operation but since we had to leave the pub anyway, we called it there and then).

I think everyone really enjoyed the game: it was extremely tight, everyone had a chance of victory and had a huge amount of negotiation. I can't wait to play again, I like this just as much as ADP (and maybe even more).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

State of the board after the Tet Offensive:

Saigon was mine! (for a turn)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Commancheria Development page is up for those of you interested. I am going to be buying this one myself.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

COOL CORN posted:

I like the look of C&C: Napoleonics, Strike of the Eagle, and Rommel in the Desert. I don't really like the look of some of the other C&C games, but maybe that's just my addiction to NATO counters making me twitch when I see figures used in a game :)

Era-wise I'm interested in WWs I & II, and I know there's no shortage of games in that range. Battle for Canada looks pretty neat too. I guess I just need to try one, see what I do/don't like about it, and go from there!

At a squad level; Conflict of Heroes and Band of Brothers are good "starter level" WWII games. Combat Commander is a little more up there but quite awesome.

Advanced Squad Leader is the premier tactical-level WII game (more or less), but rules and cash make the starter kit really the only smart purchase for this one unless you're insane (like me).

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I got to finally play Fire in the Lake tonight, it was 3 players, I played the VC and the NVA. We played for about one and half coup rounds and it got to two hours and people started getting tired so we did the run down and I just barley squeaked by in a win. I'm looking forward to playing the game again, sadly I noticed that my Arc Light capability chit has disappeared so I'm very pissed about that, thinking about emailing GMT and telling them I lost one of the chits and see if they can send me a replacement or I can pay for a whole sheet of new counters jsut to have extras of all the others.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Got my copy of ADP onto the table and hot poo poo, believe the hype. Played the short scenario which ended in a Coalition victory on the 3rd Propaganda card after a massive surge-out (thanks Obama), I did well as the Government but eventually ran out of steam as the Coalition pulled out. Everyone involved had a great time and I have a queue of people who want to try it out, which is weird situation to be in for me wargame wise.

Everyone is probably sick and tired of hearing about the COIN series by now, but we're talking about them for a reason. Give one a shot if you're at all on the fence about it.

Now i've just got to wait for Gallic Wars to come out since it's not worth getting on P500.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Tekopo and I learned all about a very specific rule that was causing us to believe Empire of the Sun was broken.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Panzeh posted:

Tekopo and I learned all about a very specific rule that was causing us to believe Empire of the Sun was broken.

:justpost:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

We didn't realize that ALL allied reinforcements were delayed as long as the War in Europe level is at 0 or lower. Thusly, there are no Allied reinforcements on turn 2, preventing me from putting the British Fleet in Singapore.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I honestly was left scratching my head because we played the 1942 start and I could not see any way at all for the Japanese to make any progress in the DEI nevermind anywhere else. Turns out we played the game wrong all along :v:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tekopo posted:

I honestly was left scratching my head because we played the 1942 start and I could not see any way at all for the Japanese to make any progress in the DEI nevermind anywhere else. Turns out we played the game wrong all along :v:

How much damage are we talking here? Minutes, hours or days?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

How much damage are we talking here? Minutes, hours or days?
hours after I tried to redo turn 2 two or three times?

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Played my first game of Twilight Struggle last night and it was every bit as good as I'd hoped. Managed a win on turn 3 through sheer luck really. Played the Asia scoring card last turn of round 2 which gave me 7 points to put me on 15. Then after shuffling the deck it ended up in my hand again which allowed me to play it as the headline.

Definitely looking forward to the next game.

*edit* played the rematch game last night. Lost to the USSR in round 6 as I'd completely lost control of Europe and the scoring card was played for an auto win. Never had the option to coup and it was really expensive to drop influence so I need to find a way to stop that happening next time.

unicr0n fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 2, 2014

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Does anyone have recommendations for wargames that are: print and play, and playable solitaire? They can be free or paid.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

So it's 1943 and now Tek and I are playing a (mostly) legit game. Kido Butai is a bit beat up but still there. There's a huge battlegroup in the south, too, but I think i'm in an excellent position anyway. I do need to deal with the threat of Kido Butai, but I have Progress of the War easily with the Marshalls. I had a terrible turn for air losses, though, and I won't be able to completely replace them, and I have not done enough damage to the pre-war air units to justify it.

I had a turn 3 where I had an enormous amount of offensive potential with surprise operations, and Tekopo just happened to have response cards for ALL of them. I had a good surprise attack on Kido Butai with all my american CVs and battleships? Nope. Instead i'm extremely fortunate to walk out with all my ships damaged. I make a nearly unopposed landing in the DEI to stave off a Dutch Surrender? Nope, Tek has a reaction card. I lose the whole British fleet(though i did knock out an IJN pre-war plane with a crit, still not the best trade for them).

I think I need to lean more on lower-risk air raids as the Allies, rather than comitting fleets when those response cards are just hanging around.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm really liking this game: I don't think I am playing optimally (although, to be fair, we did a mistake in Burma that pretty much shut out the CBI theater for me), but I think I'm doing alright. I actually was annoyed last turn because I didn't get some 1 OP cards that would have allowed me to destroy some enemy air units singularly without drawing a reaction from the US carrier fleet: it isn't often that I'm wishing for a 1 OPs card in a CDG, but this game makes use of them in a really smart way.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

I'm really liking this game: I don't think I am playing optimally (although, to be fair, we did a mistake in Burma that pretty much shut out the CBI theater for me), but I think I'm doing alright. I actually was annoyed last turn because I didn't get some 1 OP cards that would have allowed me to destroy some enemy air units singularly without drawing a reaction from the US carrier fleet: it isn't often that I'm wishing for a 1 OPs card in a CDG, but this game makes use of them in a really smart way.

One of the things I really like is that how despite the fact that my fleet is completely inferior to the IJN, i can still slowly push them off of bases with easy landings and planes(He can't allow me to sac disposable land-based air against his irreplacable aircraft carriers and battleships). This game is all about getting your planes in the right place. Planes are the things that truly control territory, not troops. Until I get the large number of carriers as reinforcements(and he's dug me into a WiE hole that's going to give significant delays), I will have to try to work around the Kido Butai.

Japan does not have enough units to cover literally every airfield in which I could stick planes on and cut off neighboring islands, but the presence of their air zone of influence on an empty island allows them to respond to movements there. When Kwajalein loses its air force, it becomes insanely vulnerable because the US can land troops on a neighboring island, station an aircraft there and cut it off from supply, causing step losses on all air and land units there. The threat of response is really important to defense in this game. A lone land unit is extremely vulnerable, particularly in a position where it can be cut off from supply.

The CBI theater is going to be quiet. I don't think Tek is going to win, but seeing how the Pacific plays out is going to be a lot of fun.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 5, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

COIN #6 is going to be Liberty or Death, about the American war of Independence! Sides appear to be British, Americans, French and Native Americans, it seems. Very interesting!

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 6, 2014

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I just did my first p500 for C&C Ancients. With GMT's fall sale, I picked up Dominant Species at 50% off. I have Fire in the Lake coming in the mail. This thread is costing me money faster than I can spend it on drugs and booze.

As an aside, how is the solo play for FitL? I've got a buddy I just converted to Twilight Struggle, but I don't know how soon I can get four at the table to play. I'm hoping the solo campaigns are robust.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

With P&P and customs it doesn't even make it worth it for me to get into the sale. As well as that, there isn't anything that I really need pressingly from GMT atm. Thunder Alley is good though and you should try it if you can, it is a very simple, interesting racing game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

With P&P and customs it doesn't even make it worth it for me to get into the sale. As well as that, there isn't anything that I really need pressingly from GMT atm. Thunder Alley is good though and you should try it if you can, it is a very simple, interesting racing game.

Funny, I just played this. Never really liked racing games before but it was lots of fun and yeah, pretty simple. Very neat ways the cards interact, too, where getting your cars all in a draft line let's you chain them effectively.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

COIN #6 is going to be Liberty or Death, about the American war of Independence! Sides appear to be British, Americans, French and Native Americans, it seems. Very interesting!

I have to admit I'm a little disappointed- I'm not sure how well COIN will handle the Revolution, I was kinda hoping for a French and Indian war game, and I just want the Irish War of Independence already.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It's gonna be different: just reading the articles about it apparently there are secondary winning conditions. I have a feeling that it is going to feel a lot more wargamey than most other COINs, but it's interesting to note that it does seem to attempt to model the contribution of loyalists within the war.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

StashAugustine posted:

I just want the Irish War of Independence already.

This. A million times this.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I got massively frustrated in a game of Empire of the Sun because I had a carrier battle in 1943 where I lost 5 US carriers. Then I ended up landing troops in Tokyo in early 1944. The US is a beast. I really need to not get mad at die rolls in that game.

One thing I need to get a handle on is just how many Japanese reaction cards are in their deck and also to understand a way to try to goad the Japanese into using their offensive to hit my carriers instead of always coming in after them and getting everything else piled in there with reactions.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 6, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think there's a point in the game where neither sides can really afford to commit to a serious battle and then in 1944 the US gets a huge number of carriers and just stop caring about losses. I made some huge mistakes (and we got some rules wrong), but I really enjoyed the game and really want to give it another go.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

I think there's a point in the game where neither sides can really afford to commit to a serious battle and then in 1944 the US gets a huge number of carriers and just stop caring about losses. I made some huge mistakes (and we got some rules wrong), but I really enjoyed the game and really want to give it another go.

Yeah, the 1944 change is pretty abrupt, and I think as the Japanese you really need to make some kind of move before then. Even with an intact KB, it can only be one place at a time while the US can easily run two fleets so there's always progress to be made. While you could put the KB in Davao to cover everything, you just give up the whole central pacific and leave Japan open that way. I think the KB is actually safest in Japan, hidden under elite planes.

As the US, I think it's generally better to attack something else and make the KB be the ones to react than attack the KB directly and let all of it attack along with some add-on planes/ships.

One of the interesting things about Empire of the Sun is that in the late game, you don't see the big mega carrier blob that you see in other pacific games or War in the Pacific because your activations are limited anyway. This encourages you to use multiple carrier fleets.

Malefic Marmite
Jan 10, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I was wondering if anyone had any tips for playing FitL's Viet Cong faction (or in general, really). I ended up playing a game against 2 other friends last weekend, and due to the odd number of players, we decided to use the 'one player controlling both sides in a faction' 3p rule. I ended up getting swept, mostly because I don't think I'd yet grasped the priorities of the insurgent factions as of my second playthrough, and the fact that the US player just said 'gently caress it' and committed all 40 troops to the board for the entirety of the game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Spread out, cause terror, jump to LoCs to ambush, tax LoCs if you can. Also, being in an area where you don't have active opposition (neutral or passive opposition is good) means that the US will likely not airstrike you, and you can make him lose turns if he attempts to sweep.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

Spread out, cause terror, jump to LoCs to ambush, tax LoCs if you can. Also, being in an area where you don't have active opposition (neutral or passive opposition is good) means that the US will likely not airstrike you, and you can make him lose turns if he attempts to sweep.

Also the American deploying all of his troops to Vietnam is basically tanking himself to make RVN win, because those cubes still contribute to COIN control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Any body play Harpoon?

I saw a thread about it on another forum and it looks awesome, though very uh complex.

I was wondering if there was any real difference between the editions, are they just updates as technology changed?

Edit: I mean like, Do I really need two teams of 10 people if I want to complete a game in a reasonable amount of time (say 4-6 hours).

Numlock fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 12, 2014