Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

People definitely do short-term logging, or speculative logging that's only preserved on error. With server-side stuff you can ratchet up logging if you see a pattern, but having some horizontal facility for doing so can be a fair bit of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
The PII stuff is what's going to kill you. I know whenever we deal with PII we have to follow FISMA regulations pretty closely. Log security is absolutely nuts.

Granted, we're a government contractor, so our rules are a bit stricter than private sector folks, but if you can avoid logging any PII that would make your life a million times easier.

How frequently does this issue occur? Can you figure out commonalities based on the timing? Do you have analytics on any pages that are hitting that API?

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Blinkz0rz posted:

The PII stuff is what's going to kill you. I know whenever we deal with PII we have to follow FISMA regulations pretty closely. Log security is absolutely nuts.

Granted, we're a government contractor, so our rules are a bit stricter than private sector folks, but if you can avoid logging any PII that would make your life a million times easier.

How frequently does this issue occur? Can you figure out commonalities based on the timing? Do you have analytics on any pages that are hitting that API?

We're not government but we're large enough & have enough sensitive data for the people who make these decisions to (rightfully) err on the side of caution. I suspect that you're right and that logging PII with security restrictions is a losing proposition. But out of morbid curiosity what about log security is absolutely nuts? For example I would be totally fine with having some gatekeeper person who I could email and say "give me the full request for all http messages sent to X service at Y time yesterday, and if there's any PII fields in that request body then just don't send it to me and we'll loop in security."

Also, I didn't mean to imply that there was one production bug I was trying to track down, it's more just that the pattern involves "some random edge case happening in production" and we lose what should be easy reproduction of the bug because a full log of the transaction data doesn't exist, regardless of whether PII was involved or not. We do eventually track down production bugs using tertiary information (who was in the system at that time, educated guesses, stack traces, etc) but it would save us a lot of time to have a systemic approach to service logging rather than the defensive approach we have now.

Short term logging sounds like an interesting idea but I suspect that would still not fly with security, unless maybe there's some industry/legal standard I could point to. Which is totally possible, since I'm pretty unlearned in this stuff.

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 21, 2014

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm messing around with Velocity for the first time and I have a question about the reverse command. It doesn't behave exactly correctly inside of a jquery .hover. Here's the code that works:

code:
$("header nav a").hover(function(){
  $(this)
    .velocity("stop")
    .velocity(
      {
	'backgroundColor' : '#eaeaea'
      }, 200
    );
}, function(){
  $(this)
    .velocity("stop")
    .velocity(
      {
	'backgroundColor' : '#6b6b6b'
      }, 200
    );
});
But here's how I'd prefer it:
code:
$("header nav a").hover(function(){
  $(this)
    .velocity("stop")
    .velocity(
      {
	'backgroundColor' : '#eaeaea'
      }, 200
    );
}, function(){
  $(this)
    .velocity("stop")
    .velocity("reverse");
});
The reverse command fires, but what happens here is if I quickly move the cursor back and forth over the element while it's animating, the background color "sticks" at whatever value it was at when it got interrupted. What am I doing wrong?

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

I'm having a dumb css problem, and i'm failing to find a solution on google.
When browser is full screen, my page displays correctly, but when it's width is reduced significantly, my content text is spilling over my content container and it looks dodgy.

I'm sure i've just done something stupid somewhere, or am completely drawing a mental blank on the fix.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to getting this working properly, i'd really appreciate it.

selan dyin fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 24, 2014

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Get rid of height on pgcontainer. Is that what you're looking for?

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Get rid of height on pgcontainer. Is that what you're looking for?

Yep, thanks!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The lack of response to my Velocity.js question makes me wonder: is anyone using Velocity.js? I just recently discovered it by way of this article. I haven't personally done any performance comparisons, but apparently it outperforms not only jQuery's .animate(), but also CSS animations. The performance section on this page is pretty convincing.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E

caiman posted:

The lack of response to my Velocity.js question makes me wonder: is anyone using Velocity.js? I just recently discovered it by way of this article. I haven't personally done any performance comparisons, but apparently it outperforms not only jQuery's .animate(), but also CSS animations. The performance section on this page is pretty convincing.

Haven't given it much attention before, but that looks pretty great.

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013
Cross posting here in case anyone is interested in some simple contract work. I figured I'd get more exposure from the relevant people by posting it here as well-

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3667321&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post435337706

quote:

Looking for someone to take Tiny Sort* and another sorting script and apply it to my HTML and XML webpage to create a simple web spreadsheet with columns which you can sort by.

I thought I would be able to do this but it's proven a little above my skill level.

This is NOT homework.

I don't think it'll take that much work so I'm willing to give out a forums upgrade of your choice.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

caiman posted:

That just makes me wonder why the Velocity people didn't just contribute a new animation stack to jQuery :confused:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

caiman posted:

The articles that claim performance improvements actually say it outperforms CSS animation libraries, which is just a weaselly way of saying it runs better than another library's approach to animating with CSS. GSAP and Velocity are pushing JavaScript animation TIMING, and when you have a particular complex animation requirement they will be a perfect tool HOWEVER the claim that they outperform CSS animations/transitions is just dumb as hell when taken as a broad statement.

The deck is stacked in that particular performance example for two reasons:

1 - css animations can't animate seperate elements using the same calculation, so it can't batch, but since when are you animating that many objects in unison without just animating the containing layer.

2 - it's animating a layout property (left) rather than a layer property (transforms, opacity), so the CSS transitions have to trigger layout with every tick, further exacerbating the performance and sync problem with a CSS animation library.

Using computation in JavaScript allows you to do things not possible in CSS transitions, like animating two transform properties separately, but if you use correct CSS properties and simple state changes through classes you will have better performance and less overhead. You can also hook the animation end events for your callbacks too.

The key thing with CSS anims if you want to make sure those state transitions are smooth, is to restrict yourself to transform and opacity whenever possible, as they leverage hardware acceleration and don't trigger repaints or layouts.

The CSS vs JS animation thing is sorta self serving, its about library implementation, but for a lot of basic state transitions you don't want the library overhead anyway, you just want to set the declarative CSS and be done with it. I would definitely pick it over something like transit for complex stuff, but I guess for simple animations/transitions I don't feel its yet worth dropping declarative CSS.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I'm pretty new to coding and have been working on my own sites/apps with pretty decent success - I've got other pages that have simple Javascript and jQuery scripts working fine, so I feel like I know juuuust enough to eventually see my own errors, but I can't work out why the hell this scroll function isn't working. I'm trying to make a div become fixed as I pass a certain point in scrolling on the page, so I only see the base of the div. I initially had the offset().top of a div contained in my header as the "freeze" point for the header, but as it wasn't working, I started simplifying downwards, simplifying variables... Everything is telling me this should work... but it isn't. This is the entire bit of script in my head section:
code:
<script type="text/javascript">

var scrolling = function() {

// if the top of the window is greater than the header position, then fix it
		if ($(window).scrollTop() > ($('#header').offset().top - 510))
			{
				$('#header').addClass('.fixed');
			}
		else if ($(window).scrollTop() <= ($('#header').offset().top - 510)) 
			{
				$('#header').removeClass ('.fixed');
			}

$(document).ready(scrolling);

</script>
And the relevant CSS:
code:
.fixed {
	position: fixed;
} /* code to reuse in several scrolls */

#header {
	color: #2a131b;
	height: 618px;
	z-index: 1000;
	background: url(../images/logo.gif) no-repeat;
	background-color: #fff;
	background-attachment: scroll;
	background-position: center;
}

#header .fixed {
	top: -510px;
}
I've got my CSS in an external file, if that changes anything. Also, I've defined fixed as its own class, because once this scrolling works, I've got a few elements further down that'll involve more complex scroll/freeze/etc patterns. What am I loving up?

Wungus fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 24, 2014

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Whalley posted:

I'm pretty new to coding and have been working on my own sites/apps with pretty decent success - I've got other pages that have simple Javascript and jQuery scripts working fine, so I feel like I know juuuust enough to eventually see my own errors, but I can't work out why the hell this scroll function isn't working. I'm trying to make a div become fixed as I pass a certain point in scrolling on the page, so I only see the base of the div. I initially had the offset().top of a div contained in my header as the "freeze" point for the header, but as it wasn't working, I started simplifying downwards, simplifying variables... Everything is telling me this should work... but it isn't. This is the entire bit of script in my head section:
code:
<script type="text/javascript">

var scrolling = function() {

// if the top of the window is greater than the header position, then fix it
		if ($(window).scrollTop() > (header.offset().top - 510))
			{
				$('#header').addClass('.fixed');
			}
		else if ($(window).scrollTop() <= ($('#header').offset().top - 510)) 
			{
				$('#header').removeClass ('.fixed');
			}

$(document).ready(scrolling);

</script>
And the relevant CSS:
code:
.fixed {
	position: fixed;
} /* code to reuse in several scrolls */

#header {
	color: #2a131b;
	height: 618px;
	z-index: 1000;
	background: url(../images/logo.gif) no-repeat;
	background-color: #fff;
	background-attachment: scroll;
	background-position: center;
}

#header .fixed {
	top: -510px;
}
I've got my CSS in an external file, if that changes anything. Also, I've defined fixed as its own class, because once this scrolling works, I've got a few elements further down that'll involve more complex scroll/freeze/etc patterns. What am I loving up?

Is your script executing before Jquery loads? What does your console say? If the above Jquery is being called before your jquery script declaration, that's probably a big source of your problem.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 24, 2014

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

caiman posted:

I've used it on a couple of sites and have found that it's generally useful when you have to do an animation that touches large pieces of the page or would otherwise be causing a whole shitload of repaints. For example, using it to animate a header onto the screen combining Y position and opacity at the same time is a great use for velocity. Changing a button's color or position on hover is not. The most common thing I use it for is smooth scrolling, moving complex elements with lots of children or several elements at a time around the page.

Maluco Marinero posted:

2 - it's animating a layout property (left) rather than a layer property (transforms, opacity), so the CSS transitions have to trigger layout with every tick, further exacerbating the performance and sync problem with a CSS animation library.

This is really the gist of it.

The short version is that if you find yourself using jQuery's .animate() a lot on a project and you don't mind introducing another 9kb JS file, you may as well be using velocity. If you're using a lot of CSS transitions, YMMV depending on what exactly you're trying to accomplish.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Is your script executing before Jquery loads? What does your console say? If the above Jquery is being called before your jquery script declaration, that's probably a big source of your problem.
I had forgotten to close my function and have fixed up a couple of dumb console errors (including a variable I forgot to declare) but even after getting the console to return no dumb errors like that, I'm still at a loss.

Here's a jfiddle I made for it:
http://jsfiddle.net/sarsparillo/te76zwuq/1/

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Whalley posted:

I had forgotten to close my function and have fixed up a couple of dumb console errors (including a variable I forgot to declare) but even after getting the console to return no dumb errors like that, I'm still at a loss.

Here's a jfiddle I made for it:
http://jsfiddle.net/sarsparillo/te76zwuq/1/

http://jsfiddle.net/zvv231wz/

Your math is a little funky on when it should stick and unstick, but this seems to work. You had a couple of problems:

1. You hadn't included jQuery in the fiddle, therefore it wasn't working at all.

2. Your if statement was only getting called once, when the document ready fired. So if you scrolled down the page it wouldn't matter whether or not the conditions of the if statement were met because it wasn't getting fired anymore. Thus, I wrapped it in a function and called it on an interval. You could also do it on scroll, but that means you'll be firing the event potentially hundreds of times per second if the person is actively scrolling, which is dumb.

3. .addClass('className') not .addClass('.className').

kedo fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 24, 2014

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

kedo posted:

http://jsfiddle.net/zvv231wz/

Your math is a little funky on when it should stick and unstick, but this seems to work. You had a couple of problems:

1. You hadn't included jQuery in the fiddle, therefore it wasn't working at all.

2. Your if statement was only getting called once, when the document ready fired. So if you scrolled down the page it wouldn't matter whether or not the conditions of the if statement were met because it wasn't getting fired anymore. Thus, I wrapped it in a function and called it on an interval. You could also do it on scroll, but that means you'll be firing the event potentially hundreds of times per second if the person is actively scrolling, which is dumb.

3. .addClass('className') not .addClass('.className').
First, thanks for reminding me I don't need to add in a . in addClass, I feel kinda dumb about that. Also, this is my first time using jsfiddle, I didn't realize I had to include libraries like that.

Secondly, while I've done something of a reshuffling of the stuff you suggested (your code wasn't letting the header scroll at all), now I've got a header that dances up and down the page every two seconds; the #header .fixed { top: -510px; } in my CSS isn't placing my header above the top of the page - I only want to display the bottom 108 pixels of my header after it becomes fixed, not the whole thing. I put in a check to see if the header has the class "fixed" and if it doesn't, only then should it check the top of the screen and run the code... why is it dancing? Is it because of the dumb fixed placement thing that's happening?. http://jsfiddle.net/sarsparillo/te76zwuq/12/

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Whalley posted:

First, thanks for reminding me I don't need to add in a . in addClass, I feel kinda dumb about that. Also, this is my first time using jsfiddle, I didn't realize I had to include libraries like that.

Secondly, while I've done something of a reshuffling of the stuff you suggested (your code wasn't letting the header scroll at all), now I've got a header that dances up and down the page every two seconds; the #header .fixed { top: -510px; } in my CSS isn't placing my header above the top of the page - I only want to display the bottom 108 pixels of my header after it becomes fixed, not the whole thing. I put in a check to see if the header has the class "fixed" and if it doesn't, only then should it check the top of the screen and run the code... why is it dancing? Is it because of the dumb fixed placement thing that's happening?. http://jsfiddle.net/sarsparillo/te76zwuq/12/

FYI CSS-Tricks did a tutorial on this the other day: http://css-tricks.com/scroll-fix-content/

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

What's everyone's preferred method for optimizing images? I've been fiddling with Grunt's imagemin plugin and I'm pretty happy with it so far. I did notice however that with .pngs the resultant file isn't quite as small as when I use tinypng.com, and I don't see an option to adjust compression level (optimizationLevel doesn't seem to affect the end file size).

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
EDIT: realized i wanted nth-of-type instead of nth-child

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

caiman posted:

What's everyone's preferred method for optimizing images? I've been fiddling with Grunt's imagemin plugin and I'm pretty happy with it so far. I did notice however that with .pngs the resultant file isn't quite as small as when I use tinypng.com, and I don't see an option to adjust compression level (optimizationLevel doesn't seem to affect the end file size).

We use pngcrush on Facebook.com, I believe. I don't *think* we have any local modifications.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

caiman posted:

I've been using http://pngquant.org/ which is the compression behind Kraken.io pretty easy to set up and then you can use it from the command line

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

caiman posted:

What's everyone's preferred method for optimizing images?

I use ImageOptim as a window-I-can-drag-images-into. Dunno if it'll do command-line though.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

caiman posted:

I use RIOT, but I'm on Windows. Are you looking for any ol' tool or just *nix/command line?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
wutup can anyone help me with this?

This site has a breakpoint at <1000px where it switches to a single column 100% wide. It works fine when I resize the browser window but it doesn't work on my phone or using the chrome dev tools phone emulation. As soon as I turn on emulation the site gets a fixed width of 980px. I can't work out where the gently caress that 980 number is coming from. I can't see it in the CSS anywhere. How do I track something like that down?

e: alright apparently 980 is the default mobile viewport width or something. I fixed it by adding:
code:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, user-scalable=no">
I still don't really understand why / how a mobile viewport is 980px wide if the screen is actually much smaller.

e2: removed the site because I'm embarrassed.

fuf fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 25, 2014

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
you shouldn't block the user from being able to zoom, use this

code:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0"/>
Read here if you care anymore: http://davidbcalhoun.com/2010/viewport-metatag/

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

daggerdragon posted:

I use RIOT, but I'm on Windows. Are you looking for any ol' tool or just *nix/command line?

Any tool that does the job well. For now I'll probably keep using imagemin.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

using ASP.NET, DevExpress, jQuery

I'm looking for an HTML file uploader that allows for multiple file uploads that will save each file as it finishes. You know, so that if the upload gets interrupted part way through, some of the files still get saved.

I was using a DevExpress uploader, which has both of these features, but strangely separated. If you use separate input fields that each select one file individually(Example), it saves each file as it finishes. But if you enable AdvancedModeSettings-EnableMultiSelect="true", interrupting an upload at 90% results in zero files saved.

I've been searching around and the only replacement I've found so far is blueimp's resumable jquery uploader, but it requires HTML5 and I'm not certain how well it will be supported on different platforms/browsers. The fact that this feature seems hard to find is making me think that it simply can't be done without HTML5, which is a bit mind boggling, since it seams like a very simple feature.

If anyone has any insight as to why these uploaders are limited or any viable replacements, I'd love to hear about it.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

http://caniuse.com/#feat=forms

Looks like it has pretty decent support to me.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I hope this is the appropriate megathread for this question.

My dad has a niche website that he's been maintaining since it's creation in 1996. It is a site for the aggregation and analysis of snowfall statistics as they relate to skiing in North America. As you can see, the site design has not changed since day one. He still updates it roughly monthly, with an annual update that is more in depth. The site has significant value to people that are aware of it (it is more comprehensive and statistically rigorous than any other effort on the topic), but I think it could be much more useful (and popular) if it was overhauled significantly.

The main question is, what tools can he and I use to make his site not feel like the internet time-capsule that it appears to be now?

The usual answer I've gotten in the past is wordpress. That is roughly the kind of tool I think we're looking for, in that it is easy for a layperson and makes updating content fairly painless. But it has one major showstopper that I can see, which is data tables. The backbone of this site is tables of numbers (like this or this) with a few graphs thrown in. As best as I can tell, wordpress doesn't handle these kinds of tables very well, and he'd have to convert them all into images. That is time consuming up front and also ongoing, as he can't update values in a table individually over time. He needs something that will make it easy to dump Excel data tables onto the website.

Perhaps there is an easy way to do this in wordpress that I've just never been able to find? Or maybe there's another tool out there that's more appropriate?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

bawfuls posted:

Perhaps there is an easy way to do this in wordpress that I've just never been able to find? Or maybe there's another tool out there that's more appropriate?

Wordpress has plugins and there are a bunch of them for making tables display nicely: https://www.google.com/search?q=wordpress+table+plugin

Look at those and see if your dad likes any of them

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm not going to say go with Wordpress because I don't know if there's better, but WP is pretty expandable to be whatever you want it to be. You could have a custom field just for the tables that lives inside each post and you can display outside of / in addition to the post content.

It would be more helpful to hear about how he is building those tables now, is he just using an html wysiwyg and saving static files?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, if he's okay editing them by hand, you could probably just skin them with Bootstrap or Foundation and improve the look substantially.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Dave posted:

It would be more helpful to hear about how he is building those tables now, is he just using an html wysiwyg and saving static files?
I believe so, yes. He does it all in a basic html text editor and uploads static files to update the site. Tables get copy/pasted from Excel somehow.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

bawful's thing brought this to mind but it's an unrelated question. How common is it these days for people to just build a website from scratch without the aid of tools like Wordpress, Bootstrap, etc.? Even though I'm comfortable with these tools and I welcome them, I'm equally comfortable opening Sublime Text and typing out plain old HTML/CSS/JS/PHP. I understand that the tools make development quicker and easier, and they provide functionality that would be difficult and time-consuming to do yourself, so I fully grasp why people use them. I'm just curious how common it is to make a website without them.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

bawfuls posted:

I believe so, yes. He does it all in a basic html text editor and uploads static files to update the site. Tables get copy/pasted from Excel somehow.

If he doesn't mind saving his Excels as CSVs this plugin could be useful (assuming Wordpress):
https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-ultimate-csv-importer/

I've used it in the past, it's pretty robust. Only downside is the style info (e.g. the green background) would have to set in the theme, but if he's hand-tweaking HTML already he can probably figure out how to that.

Wordpress supports categories / tags so he could easily maintain his Location - Year structure.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That looks promising, thanks. Exporting a CSV ought to be as simple or simpler than what he's doing already. It sounds like the formatting could be easier in the long run with some wordpress plugins as well.

For reference, this is probably the biggest headache of a table on the site, when it comes to formatting.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

bawfuls posted:

For reference, this is probably the biggest headache of a table on the site, when it comes to formatting.

my god :pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

ha ha! Wow. That is somethin somethin. drat.

I figured out how he gets the html in at least:
code:
<!--The following information was generated by Microsoft Excel's Publish as Web
Page wizard.-->
And it's full the garbage html office generates like "<col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:4022;width:83pt">"

It'd take some work, but you could set up a CSS that would mimic the coloration. It'd have to use either php or js to 'tell' the page what the value is. Something like <td class="2col Dgrade">D</td> and then it'd know to automatically apply "poo poo brown" to cells that contain D, that kind of thing.