Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Feenix posted:

I don't mean to be rude or combative but how are you certain that it is not a bug or a glitch? I've had a bunch of other bonkers poo poo happening since yesterday with the OS. And when I notice that the swipe up is not registering, I have put the phone down on the table and tried many many ways. I'n not saying it's unresponsive until it decides to respond. I'm saying it flat out doesn't work at times and swiping 50 times doesn't change that. Only a reboot does.

Just to make sure this isn't happening while you're plugged in to a charger is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Are the in store pickup phones and the stand in line at the store phones part of the same pool?
My local Apple Store has zero phones for in-store pickup, but I don't know if that is a guarantee there are no phones available. This is the first year I didn't pre-order so I'm not sure on the best way to pick one up now that I have the money. I'm on att if it matters at all.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

MrBond posted:

Just to make sure this isn't happening while you're plugged in to a charger is it?

Nah. Just regular usage.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
UPS finally delivered mine today after some waiting at the Louisville hub. Have to say, this is a fantastic device. I do not feel I am missing a single thing I enjoyed from Android now, and the camera is beyond good.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

UPS finally delivered mine today after some waiting at the Louisville hub. Have to say, this is a fantastic device. I do not feel I am missing a single thing I enjoyed from Android now, and the camera is beyond good.

'sup, fellow Android convert. My phone is still in China, but at least it's on the way! Looking forward to finally having access to those sweet, sweet iOS games.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mAlfunkti0n posted:

The only thing I'm missing is push Gmail. Everything else is fantastic.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

lelandjs posted:

Gmail app, homie

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

lelandjs posted:

That hasn't been around for a long time now, Google stripped that awhile ago unless you use the GMail app.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Other email apps like Boxer and Mailbox also have push support for gmail.

The only thing I miss from Android is the ability to change the default apps. I really like having twitter links open in my favorite twitter app, email links open in my email client and so on. It's not a huge deal though and certainly not enough to make me want to switch back. Just a minor annoyance.

Bungeyjump
Nov 9, 2003
Bungeyjumpingpeopledie

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Are the in store pickup phones and the stand in line at the store phones part of the same pool?
My local Apple Store has zero phones for in-store pickup, but I don't know if that is a guarantee there are no phones available. This is the first year I didn't pre-order so I'm not sure on the best way to pick one up now that I have the money. I'm on att if it matters at all.

I went into the Reading, UK store and picked up a 6 without a reservation on Wednesday. They had a "reservation" line which everyone wanting to buy an iPhone was told to join. I got there at midday and they had most of the 6 models, they were advising people who wanted 6+s to go online at midnight and reserve one for the next day. They were also limiting people to 2 phones each...there were lots of people in the queue trying to buy 5 or 6

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Converted from a droid razor maxx hd to a six yesterday and I have a question. Is there any way to get music downloaded via Amazon music to be recognized by the iPhone as being there, thus becoming playable on my car stereo etc like an iPod? I assumed it would be recognized from the start and found out the hard way it won't be that easy going on a 6 hour work drive

Thanks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Dead Pressed posted:

Converted from a droid razor maxx hd to a six yesterday and I have a question. Is there any way to get music downloaded via Amazon music to be recognized by the iPhone as being there, thus becoming playable on my car stereo etc like an iPod? I assumed it would be recognized from the start and found out the hard way it won't be that easy going on a 6 hour work drive

Thanks.

By "downloaded" do you mean on your computer or in the Amazon app? If it's on your computer you'll have to sync it with Google play music or iTunes or another app.

If it's in the Amazon app, it should have a media player as well that you can just play and select your car stereo as an output in Control Center when your phone is connected by Bluetooth. Depending on your car and the app, this may be able to be controlled through your car's deck like an iPod and it may not.

There is no way to get the Amazon music into the music app without a computer AFAIK.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

the kawaiiest posted:

Other email apps like Boxer and Mailbox also have push support for gmail.

The only thing I miss from Android is the ability to change the default apps. I really like having twitter links open in my favorite twitter app, email links open in my email client and so on. It's not a huge deal though and certainly not enough to make me want to switch back. Just a minor annoyance.

I think you can do this with a jailbreak tweak once a stable one comes out for iOS 8.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

tuyop posted:

By "downloaded" do you mean on your computer or in the Amazon app? If it's on your computer you'll have to sync it with Google play music or iTunes or another app.

If it's in the Amazon app, it should have a media player as well that you can just play and select your car stereo as an output in Control Center when your phone is connected by Bluetooth. Depending on your car and the app, this may be able to be controlled through your car's deck like an iPod and it may not.

There is no way to get the Amazon music into the music app without a computer AFAIK.

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I downloaded the music onto the phone. The way my vehicles seem to work the phone is like an iPod or cd. I can scroll through tracks, etc but cannot just stream. As such, just playing it via the Amazon app won't do anything. It'll only work with iTunes imported music.

I'll have to try the Bluetooth. I'm not sure that either of my vehicles will be capable of it, but I guess I'll find out. That's disappointing as I hate iTunes but I'd really like to use my music on my work drives.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Dead Pressed posted:

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I downloaded the music onto the phone. The way my vehicles seem to work the phone is like an iPod or cd. I can scroll through tracks, etc but cannot just stream. As such, just playing it via the Amazon app won't do anything. It'll only work with iTunes imported music.

I'll have to try the Bluetooth. I'm not sure that either of my vehicles will be capable of it, but I guess I'll find out. That's disappointing as I hate iTunes but I'd really like to use my music on my work drives.

Aux cable or bluetooth would just make the audio of whatever you're playing on your phone utilize the car's speakers. It's what, like, 99% of people do these days unless their car (and probably yours) support something else.

Either way, it's the easier option and produces no problems.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dead Pressed posted:

That's really bizarre because the iPhone should read a bluetooth connection just like headphones and output any audio through the BT device. You can even play a game's music through a speaker, for instance.

Do a quick test. 1. Play your music through the Amazon app. 2. Lock the device (2.a. your music should keep playing, if it doesn't, hit the home button to get into the lock screen and swipe up for control center. See if you can press play there and get your music going) 3. Start your car's bluetooth while the music is playing, see if it connects and keeps playing. This is how my car from 2010 handles my 5S. 3.a. If it doesn't work, try 2.a.

If none of this works, that's very strange and you might want to check your manual or a google search to see if there's a "line-in mode" for your car's BT audio, because that's definitely not typical behaviour.

Edit: It sounds like you have some kind of proprietary interface on there like Ford Sync or something. I don't know how that works but I'm sure google can help.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 26, 2014

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

A friend of mine has a car with a 30-pin connector that will only read music from the music app of an iPhone or iPod. I can see that being an issue if you have music on Google Play or Amazon instead.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

prom candy posted:

I think you can do this with a jailbreak tweak once a stable one comes out for iOS 8.

Yeah probably but I'm not really sure I want to jailbreak just for that. It seems like it should be the default behavior, since you can set your default apps on a Mac and well on just about everything really except iOS. I'm not sure it's justified anymore now that we can change our default keyboards and customize the notification shade. Seems like the whole "we want to control the user experience" reasoning doesn't really apply anymore now.

I'm hoping that this will be the next step for them but I'm not holding my breath.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Themes and widgets will be a part of iOS9 home screen. Bet on it.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Someone has figured out the answer to this bending controversy.

Holster case.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

serebralassazin posted:

Someone has figured out the answer to this bending controversy.

Holster case.
Going through airport security with that on would be a trip.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

noirstronaut posted:

Gmail app, homie

I downloaded it and used it for a bit, but quickly got annoyed by it restarting every time I launched it. When I realized that I could quick archive emails from the Mail notifications (and also search the Mail app with Spotlight) I bit the bullet and reset up the account through Mail. Honestly, getting email every 15 minutes hasn't been as big of a deal as I thought it would be, and if I'm expecting one I can just open the app and mash refresh until it comes it (which I did with the Gmail app on Android anyway).

Actually, that reminds me: can third party apps add results to Spotlight with iOS 8? I'd love to somehow use Siri to search/play my Google Music library.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

Anyone in here use the VPN feature? The iOS 8 hype suggested that once you established a VPN connection it would persist even after putting the phone to sleep for a while.

But this isn't happening for me.. every time I switch to cellular and back to wifi or turn the phone off for a few minutes, the VPN connection goes away and tosses up a dialog box saying the "connection was closed." As near as I can tell they found a way to make it even more annoying without improving the functionality at all.

Or maybe I just have something configured wrong.

When you're handing off a connection from cell to WiFi (or vice versa), your TCP sessions are going to get interrupted (at least on IPv4). I'm guessing what Apple is trying to do is basically watchdog the VPN connection and re-establish a session in the background. I can think of a few reasons for it to get bumped (most involving the VPN concentrator you connect to), but I'm thinking what's most likely the case here is either your cell service or the WLAN you're trying to use is taking too long to bind the phone to the network causing the VPN to hit a timeout threshold, so iOS gives up.

The fact that there have been quite a few complaints regarding wireless networking on the latest iOS to start with, I'm going to guess that Apple probably introduced a bug into the 802.11 protocol stack.

e: words are hard. filled in missing words.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 26, 2014

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Bottom Liner posted:

Themes and widgets will be a part of iOS9 home screen. Bet on it.

I don't think so. I mean it'd be really nice to have more flexibility for customization but I think Apple wants the look of iOS to remain the same for everyone. And if there's anything I've learned from Android is that if you let people customize their phone, a lot of times it's going to look like this

I mean I'm all for customization, if you're happy with your home screen that's all that matters really. But I don't think Apple would allow it.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

oversteps posted:

Yeah, the store near me had nothing in stock. What grinds my gears is apparently the $200 trade-in credit isn't even credited to the purchase of the phone. Even if you go to the store itself and do everything there, you still have to send in your phone and receipt and then wait for a $200 gift card in the mail. That's a little annoying.

When I handed in my phone they applied the gift card to my bill on the spot. It couldn't hurt to ask if that's an option at your location as well.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Long time case hater here, but after trying out the Spigen i6 Thin Fit case for a day now I'm really impressed. The extra thin profile of the new phones must help because this thing fits like a glove and there's barely any added bulk which used to drive me crazy. Looks pretty slick with black on both sides now, too.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I'm happy with my leather Apple case but I saw this and had to order it. I think the Ebony will compliment my gold 6 Plus quite nicely.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Is it kosher to bring up tech-support-y stuff in this thread? Because my iPhone 5c has been doing some weird poo poo lately, even after restoring a backup.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 26, 2014

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
I just got a 5S. Holy loving poo poo, I could never go back to 3G.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Vegastar posted:

When I handed in my phone they applied the gift card to my bill on the spot. It couldn't hurt to ask if that's an option at your location as well.

Didn't they advertise it as $200-$300 depending on the phone? Their website doesn't want to give me more than $100 for a 4s.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Spiritus Nox posted:

Is it kosher to bring up tech-support-y stuff in this thread? Because my iPhone 5c has been doing some weird poo poo lately, even after restoring a backup.

The response will probably be "go to an Apple Store", FYI.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Actually, it might just be the restore. Start fresh or yeah, go to an Apple Store.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I have the $16 Spigen Neo Hybrid Case in gunmetal on my iphone 6 and - after trimming one of the wonky rubber bumpers for the volume - it's fine, not too obtrusive and seems to be sturdy enough to add some security. Added bonus it makes your phone look like an HTC, so stealthy. I have the Apple Leather case as well, so I'll swap if I get sick of the Spigen.

Was gonna call for a shoulder holster earlier. Alternatively, if you have a bike messenger bag/manpurse, both Timbuk2 and Rickshaw make strap holsters for phones (my iphone 6 barely fits in the 5 version for now).

http://www.rickshawbags.com/phone-case-moss.html

Edit: Also mentioned in the post above, the carved cases kick the crap out of the Spigen and are only a few more $, get it instead.

http://www.carved.com/shop/iphone-6/slim-wood-case/redwood-burl-iphone-6-slim-case.html

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 26, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

Actually, it might just be the restore. Start fresh or yeah, go to an Apple Store.

There's no real risk to starting fresh, is there? Everything I can think of that I'll lose is tied to my apple account, but I might be missing something.

That said, the weirdness I'm experiencing (clock stopping when I don't touch the phone for a few minutes, extremely erratic wi-fi) happened before I tried the restore.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

There's no real risk to starting fresh, is there? Everything I can think of that I'll lose is tied to my apple account, but I might be missing something.

That said, the weirdness I'm experiencing (clock stopping when I don't touch the phone for a few minutes, extremely erratic wi-fi) happened before I tried the restore.
The only thing you lose starting fresh are your texts.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Choadmaster posted:

Didn't they advertise it as $200-$300 depending on the phone? Their website doesn't want to give me more than $100 for a 4s.

It was 200 for everything 4 and up but the 5s, which was 300. There's a box you have to check that you've purchased a 6. I thought it ran through the thirtieth, but I don't really know. Bringing it to the store seemed way easier than the website, I'll say that much.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Though it would take a little longer for wooden cases to come out. Can't wait for them to hit the UK!

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

xzzy posted:

Anyone in here use the VPN feature? The iOS 8 hype suggested that once you established a VPN connection it would persist even after putting the phone to sleep for a while.

But this isn't happening for me.. every time I switch to cellular and back to wifi or turn the phone off for a few minutes, the VPN connection goes away and tosses up a dialog box saying the "connection was closed." As near as I can tell they found a way to make it even more annoying without improving the functionality at all.

Or maybe I just have something configured wrong.

I use it. I don't think VPN improvements were mentioned in iOS 8 at all, not that I remember anyway.

It can't maintain the connection while sleeping the phone. There are ways to configure the phone to always use a certain VPN for a specific app, but you need to configure that with Apple Configurator and a configuration profile.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I am seriously in love with so much about the 6+. And then I think about Apple Pay. And how big this thing is. And just like, "on the go" usage. And I'm torn. Don't want to give up the screen, but feeling (after 36 hours, anyway) like it's just a little cumbersome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

I am seriously in love with so much about the 6+. And then I think about Apple Pay. And how big this thing is. And just like, "on the go" usage. And I'm torn. Don't want to give up the screen, but feeling (after 36 hours, anyway) like it's just a little cumbersome.

I don't know, it seems like if a thing cramps your hands from using it, then it's not the right thing to use that way. Not saying that it cramps your hands, but people here have complained about that. I'd get a different thing or change the way I use it. Maybe the Apple Watch is the answer, since you won't have to take your phone out to do tiny things all the time? That's a lot of months of cramped hands, though.