Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

PostNouveau posted:

Creepy puppets
It's the blinking. poo poo's weirding me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Man I really hate that I now have to say Cartoon Brew for once isn't being a shitpile, and that writer isn't being a desperate attention whore, but this really does feel like a stopped clock is right twice a day thing. Like, there's not a ton of 'speculation' and poo poo in there, it's mainly 'hey this guy went on a fuckin crazy rant because his workers wanted benefits, and that while making new companies just for one project isn't unheard of, neither is loving the people who actually make your product in the animation industry'. I don't think Rick and Morty Co or whatever is a 'shell company' but the timing sure was shady.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Wait, what's wrong with CartoonBrew?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wait, what's wrong with CartoonBrew?
According to some, same thing that's wrong with Perez Hilton and Harry Knowles (hanger-on using gossip to be part of the 'in' crowd)

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

AxeManiac posted:

I really hate that this is acceptable to people. I saw a lot of it in the game industry, from testers to developers, people are treated as meat puppets with an unyielding wave of new recruits who will do anything to land their "dream job". When you can ship one of the largest games in history, then face massive lay offs, there is something wrong with the industry as a whole. So I full support and encourage people to stand up for their rights and I'm glad you guys are getting this resolved and can get back to work making the best cartoon on TV.

This describes most employment in modern capitalism. Just replace "game" with "product".

That said I hope that R&M continues to get made and that the people who make it are compensated fairly.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Wubba luba dub dub eh folks

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
They're doing a twitter giveaway if anyone's interested
https://www.twitter.com/JustinRoiland/status/514174416175902720

Asile
Jan 15, 2006

Hey! I've been waiting for a good time to pop in here and tag team some R&M production questions. For the past month I've been working on season 2 as a color key artist. Although I'm relatively new to the production, I'd love to share my experience and get everyone pumped for season 2!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are they going ahead with the planet of the dogs storyboard driven family friendly show?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Asile posted:

Hey! I've been waiting for a good time to pop in here and tag team some R&M production questions. For the past month I've been working on season 2 as a color key artist. Although I'm relatively new to the production, I'd love to share my experience and get everyone pumped for season 2!

I guess I'll start with the obvious: what's your favorite kind of key to color? Do you worry that key fobs will put you out of a job? Do you have any say in the kind of keys that get into the show, or is that all in the script?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Asile posted:

I know you're a color key artist, but have they let you design anything?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm a grown rear end man who can't even colour inside the lines consistently so I'm gonna stand over here in the corner and sulk.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Asile posted:

I'm a big dummy who is artistically incompetent at best. What's a "color key artist"?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm assuming (please correct me) it's the person who is responsible for the colors on the characters and backgrounds. Which they give to the animators so they can keep everything in check.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Pretty much that, they are draw scenes/sketches to illustrate how it should look on screen.

Asile
Jan 15, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

I guess I'll start with the obvious: what's your favorite kind of key to color? Do you worry that key fobs will put you out of a job? Do you have any say in the kind of keys that get into the show, or is that all in the script?

So far I haven't colored any keys, but I did color a garage door opener. Everything I get has been through script, storyboard, design, and clean-up, so at that point it's all been solidified to what the episode will consist of.
Sometimes we can try to slip in our own jokes and references if they can be conveyed through color alone.

CelticPredator posted:

I'm assuming (please correct me) it's the person who is responsible for the colors on the characters and backgrounds. Which they give to the animators so they can keep everything in check.

prefect posted:

I'm a big dummy who is artistically incompetent at best. What's a "color key artist"?

Close! I'm responsible for coloring all characters, props and effects. There are two color key artists this season, and the color lead colors the story driving items and adjusts our work to fit with the overall vision (he also does this for BG paint). We color all of the things that move in an episode. Background paint is a separate job with a completely different approach. I refer to whatever the background painters have finished for an episode to understand how the characters should look against that environment (especially if the setting is the same but the lighting or mood changes).

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I know you're a color key artist, but have they let you design anything?

We pretty much only do the job we tested for. One exception I've seen was the other color key artist being given background paint overflow for the first episode. He's done background paint for Disney's Randy Cunningham and understands the style of R&M well enough to do simple work, so that's considered on a case by case basis. If I had taken a design test and did well, they may consider me for design work overflow. It's something I'd definitely want to test for to potentially make myself a more valuable asset to the show.

RandomPauI posted:

Are they going ahead with the planet of the dogs storyboard driven family friendly show?

Placeholder, I'll answer this later after I talk to Typical

Asile fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 27, 2014

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

What kind of pay ranges are the norm for working in animation? Doc and Jackson from Venture Brothers have mentioned in commentaries that they make 'gap manager's salary'. Whether it was a joke or not, I don't know. But, that seems pretty depressing compared to the joy that you all bring to so many people. And with all the talk of unions and benefits and being cut as soon as the season's over, it sounds like a rough business.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
You probably have to work out a merch cut that pays you decently later if the show is popular, incentivising you to make something good.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Asile posted:

Placeholder, I'll answer this later after I talk to Typical
I know you're probably teasing us by answering cryptically like this but the fact that you didn't just say "lol no" makes me giggly.

Asile
Jan 15, 2006

JT Jag posted:

I know you're probably teasing us by answering cryptically like this but the fact that you didn't just say "lol no" makes me giggly.

Sorry to get your hopes up! Really I just want to ask Typical about how to answer specific questions related to the show like that. I'm not at liberty to confirm or deny anything that may or may not happen. Also, he told me about the backstory for that line in the episode and would be a better person to answer. I was either going to have him answer or just respond after talking to him.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Asile posted:

Who would win in a fight? You or Typical?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fight fight fight!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Going to have to side with Asile for no other reason than the fact that Typical bought himself a Penny Arcade avatar.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Asile gon' give it to ya'

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Asile posted:

Is it true that animators feverishly work in fear of a huge swarthy man wielding a gnarled bullwhip?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Babe Magnet posted:

Asile gon' give it to ya'

Still the best scene.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So...Tuesday? Cool.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

Probably not, Its just one of Justin's throw away pitches at this point. but sometimes he references it in his other work. you can actually see the pilot for that show on his vimeo account somewhere. well its not a complete pilot. its just an animatic,. but a few rick and morty people worked on it.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Is it true that animators feverishly work in fear of a huge swarthy man wielding a gnarled bullwhip?
We work hard. sometimes 60 hours weeks. but most of the time we get overtime. hopefully. realistically we can only work so much. at some point we just start pushing deadlines back. and all shows go over schedule. Dont know to much about over seas studios. at some studios in the Philippians. the artists live at the studio and a portion of their paycheck goes to pay rent for their office bunkbed

Cacafuego posted:

What kind of pay ranges are the norm for working in animation? Doc and Jackson from Venture Brothers have mentioned in commentaries that they make 'gap manager's salary'. Whether it was a joke or not, I don't know. But, that seems pretty depressing compared to the joy that you all bring to so many people. And with all the talk of unions and benefits and being cut as soon as the season's over, it sounds like a rough business.

In LA the low end is on the 25$ and hour. decent wages are about 40 an hour. it would be fairly nice if you were employed all year. but i'm out of work at least 4-5 months a year so far. you have to jump from show to show and network your way to a steady paycheck.

Twenty Four posted:

Who would win in a fight? You or Typical?

Dont know for sure. Asile and I have never even had an argument though. Shes pretty smart though. she could probably outwit me.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

My money is on Asile. She's trying to prove a point and she needs to kick someone's rear end to get that point

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is it possible to tour the Cartoon Network studios?

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

Is it possible to tour the Cartoon Network studios?

people do go on tours there, so it is possible. but on a side note. Rick and Morty is not produced at Cartoon Network. Our studio is down the street. We work at a studio called "Star burns Industries". Moral Oral, FrankenHole, Community christmas episodes, etc.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Typical posted:

people do go on tours there, so it is possible. but on a side note. Rick and Morty is not produced at Cartoon Network. Our studio is down the street. We work at a studio called "Star burns Industries". Moral Oral, FrankenHole, Community christmas episodes, etc.

Did you work on FrankenHole, as well, or I guess there wasn't much animation in that one?

You mentioned you were doing props this year, does this provide you with more creative leeway to insert your own ideas, or does everything come down to the head animators?

Also, I love how everyone's shoes are just little triangles, even though we all know y'all can draw feet. :v:
Where do decisions like that come from?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Typical posted:

Could you make some more Moral Orel episodes? Thanks.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tZGyb5vID4

Scabs only plz

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Dunno why this only occurred to me now.

edit: wtf is wrong with me re: fonts.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Did you work on FrankenHole, as well, or I guess there wasn't much animation in that one?

Stop-motion animation is animation :arghfist::saddowns:!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Pick posted:

Stop-motion animation is animation :arghfist::saddowns:!

You mean it isn't real?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Could I ever do a tour of your studio of laughs?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/is-pluto-about-to-be-reinstated-as-a-planet-9769753.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
That's how science works. In related news, evolution is a lie.

• Locked thread