Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Murcor posted:

The ending sequence of Skyline. Hyper advanced aliens come to earth to steal brains that they reprogram and stick into machinery? Ok, whatever I can roll with that, but at the end, when our main character gets his brain sucked out and plugged into a robot body he magically isn't reprogrammed and controls this brand new body just fine. Ignoring all that though, the real irritation is we are set up for what looks like a dramatic fight and rescue of our main characters but nope, roll credits.

The entire movie was made on a shoestring budget so it's very likely that they actually just ran out of money at that spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
I have no clue where I read this, but apparently the idea was that the main character had so many close calls with the hypnolights he'd developed some kind of immunity, hence not being a reprogrammed drone. Still a dumb movie. For what budget they had, they shouldn't have tried a CGI fest like that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The writer/directors own an effects studio (and they were accused of using time other movies had paid for to work on Skyline.)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ducttape posted:

Robocop remake. When the company was testing Robocop vs. literal robot cop in the hostage scenario, the tester kept saying that Robocop would only be allowed in the states if he beat the machines. Wouldn't they have accomplished their goal of 'repeal anti-robot police laws' easier if they could have pointed out that robot cop was better than Robocop?

I understand the dilemma, but people were less worried about effective policing than they were paranoid about machines having the power of life and death. They weren't trying to sell a cop with really expensive prosthetics; they wanted to sell the idea of a person who was as good as robots thanks to their technology as a way of showing how effective the robot part is while still being a human--they need both; he has to be a person to open the door to America's hearts, and he has to be as good as the robots to show how effective the product is at its job. If he wasn't as good as what was already in use all around the world, he reflects poorly on the regular robots, making them less appealing and damaging their case to repeal the law. Then they overbuild him and make him better because, again, we want to believe the human part makes the difference, so if Robocop can beat the regular robots, maybe the robots aren't so bad because humans are still fundamentally better!? That the human element is a lie at that point doesn't matter; it's marketing. They're initially appealing to an irrational belief that a human has to be at the helm, and when they overcome that and everyone has a taste of what the tech can do, the marketing department can blitz how everything Robocop does can be done without needing to put a real cop in harm's way, appealing the warm fuzzy desire of cops home safe with their families and avoiding unnecessary tragedies, thus leading to the repeal.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
In Coherence one of the major plot reveals is that the dinner guests have been popping in and out of other realities the entire time and the implication is that none of the characters at the end of the movie are the original person first met at the beginning of the movie.

The irritating part is that not a single one of these other selves comes from a reality where they've already figured that out. The replacements are all conveniently in line with the overall unraveling of events as the viewer experiences them and learn about how it all works in the same timeframe. Even though by the movies own logic someone should have shown up at some point going "Hey, guess what! My group already figured all this poo poo out hours ago. You scrubs need to step it up!"

Esroc has a new favorite as of 06:33 on Sep 27, 2014

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

muscles like this? posted:

The entire movie was made on a shoestring budget so it's very likely that they actually just ran out of money at that spot.

I believe Skyline was supposed to be released with a tie-in video game where you take control of the main character after he gets his robot body or whatever. Game got cancelled early on but they released the movie anyway with the poo poo ending

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 06:30 on Sep 27, 2014

Murcor
Dec 1, 2007

It's a hell of a thing

Away all Goats posted:

I believe Skyline was supposed to be released with a tie-in video game where you take control of the main character after he gets his robot body or whatever. Game got cancelled early on but they released the movie anyway with the poo poo ending

Which would have made so much more sense. The jarring cutoff like that took an enjoyable scifi adventure and ruined it. I mean I saw it years ago and it still irks me.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

sicDaniel posted:

I watched Source Code yesterday

Well, if the true nature of the machine was revealed from the getgo, the film would've been really different. I really dug the Twelve Monkeys-ish "we're sending you back there and you can't change anything so just gather information okay" setup. The audience was just as confused as he was, and aspects of the event began to reveal themselves to both him and us at the same time as he kept at it.

Admittedly, breaking the news about the machine really was was pretty choppy, but I thought the film was okay overall.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

50 Foot Ant posted:

The New Godzilla.

The move promised us two things:

1) Godzilla.
2) Bryan Cranston

Godzilla was only on screen for 8 minutes and Cranston for 13 minutes.

Every second G was on screen in the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YsnZ4bYIjs

I did enjoy the movie, but really wish it had focused on Cranston instead.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Watched World War Z yesterday, did they ever actually say exactly what Brad Pitt's old job was other than "someone who used to work for the U.N."?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Apparently he used to be one of the 4 horsemen.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen all of Season 4 Game of Thrones yet, but is there ever an explanation as to why the Targarean kids, Dany and her brother, weren't taken in by the enemies of the Lannisters, say, Elia Martell's family, when they were kids or even teenagers? As much as a lot of people hated the Mad King, you'd think someone from Elia's family or anyone who hated the Lannisters would have been all about seizing those kids and grooming them into figureheads, rather than the kids essentially being beggars for years.

Took a break from Frozen with the kids and watched Rise of the Guardians. Okay movie, but I found it very odd that the bad guy, the Boogeyman Pitch, had the little monologue about how he knew how Jack Frost felt, being alone and unseen, and how he didn't want to be that way himself anymore, maybe HE wanted friends and a family. It just felt weird and out of place and made him a far more sympathetic character than pretty much any of the other Guardians; all of them had helpers and some family and friends, even Jack could hang around with the others if he wanted, but Pitch was always Bad Evil Leave Him Alone. poo poo dude, I'd want to take over the world too at that point.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

kinmik posted:

Watched World War Z yesterday, did they ever actually say exactly what Brad Pitt's old job was other than "someone who used to work for the U.N."?

I don't think it elaborates any further than "investigator". So he used to, uh, investigate... things? For the UN? I guess?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Took a break from Frozen with the kids and watched Rise of the Guardians. Okay movie, but I found it very odd that the bad guy, the Boogeyman Pitch, had the little monologue about how he knew how Jack Frost felt, being alone and unseen, and how he didn't want to be that way himself anymore, maybe HE wanted friends and a family. It just felt weird and out of place and made him a far more sympathetic character than pretty much any of the other Guardians; all of them had helpers and some family and friends, even Jack could hang around with the others if he wanted, but Pitch was always Bad Evil Leave Him Alone. poo poo dude, I'd want to take over the world too at that point.

When Pitch ran the world all kids had was terror and hopelessness. It's possible he's just being a manipulative dick because he can't overpower Jack like the others.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

I haven't seen all of Season 4 Game of Thrones yet, but is there ever an explanation as to why the Targarean kids, Dany and her brother, weren't taken in by the enemies of the Lannisters, say, Elia Martell's family, when they were kids or even teenagers? As much as a lot of people hated the Mad King, you'd think someone from Elia's family or anyone who hated the Lannisters would have been all about seizing those kids and grooming them into figureheads, rather than the kids essentially being beggars for years.

I haven't read the books, but I think Ned and Rob probably would have invaded Doorn and killed them. By leaving the continent they were out of sight and mind. Any house that tried to use them would have made some very powerful enemies very quickly.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I forgot where I heard it first (maybe here) but I was telling my husband the movie was much more fun if you perceived his character as Death. Seriously Gerry, everything you touch turns to poo poo.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So it's a sequel to Meet Joe Black.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

That would have been far too risky. The revolution wasn't just orchestrated by the Lannisters, after all, but also by the Starks, Tullys, and Baratheons. In fact the Lannisters only jumped on the train relatively late. After the pivotal battle, there was basically nobody left to oppose them. If Dorne had just taken in the heirs of the former dynasty, that would have been a fast ticket to getting their poo poo stomped by the rest of the continent in short order.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cowslips Warren posted:

Because the new King was Robert Baratheon and he hated Targaryen so much that when he found out a 13 year old Targaryen girl was still alive he sent an Assassin after her.

Basically if Dorne tried to shelter the Targ kids they would have faced war against everyone who declared Robert their King

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

kinmik posted:

I forgot where I heard it first (maybe here) but I was telling my husband the movie was much more fun if you perceived his character as Death. Seriously Gerry, everything you touch turns to poo poo.

My biggest problem with that movie was Brad Pitt playing a character named Gerry. I don't buy him as a Gerry for a second.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Away all Goats posted:

Because the new King was Robert Baratheon and he hated Targaryen so much that when he found out a 13 year old Targaryen girl was still alive he sent an Assassin after her.

Basically if Dorne tried to shelter the Targ kids they would have faced war against everyone who declared Robert their King

See that always bothered me about kids, and they were kids, being on the run until they happen upon the one guy who agrees to help them and sets Dany up with Drogo. They are Targareyen kids, they look very distinct, there's no reason the Dorne people couldn't have grabbed them and hid them away in secrecy, dyed their hair, etc.

Was Robert sending assassins after the kids before she was getting married? I know he was not the brightest guy but did he even know or care about the issues with Elia Martell being murdered? She wasn't dragonspawn, etc.

quote:

When Pitch ran the world all kids had was terror and hopelessness. It's possible he's just being a manipulative dick because he can't overpower Jack like the others.

I know there's books Rise of the Guardians is based from, but only having seen the movie it seems to follow that the Man in The Moon either made or created Pitch and then later threw the Guardians in because everything being dark all the time was a drag.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

there's no reason the Dorne people couldn't have grabbed them and hid them away in secrecy, dyed their hair, etc.

Maybe because they were the inbred progeny of the people who conquered them and the only family connection was a political marriage to Rheagar that ended in adultery, rape, and execution? The Martell's have absolutely no reason to want the Targarean children, not even considering the inevitable war raising them would bring.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

See that always bothered me about kids, and they were kids, being on the run until they happen upon the one guy who agrees to help them and sets Dany up with Drogo. They are Targareyen kids, they look very distinct, there's no reason the Dorne people couldn't have grabbed them and hid them away in secrecy, dyed their hair, etc.

Was Robert sending assassins after the kids before she was getting married? I know he was not the brightest guy but did he even know or care about the issues with Elia Martell being murdered?

Dorne had no reason to make sure the Targaryan children were safe. The war was already lost, and it made more sense to back Robert than to keep the remains of the old dynasty and try to put them back on the throne. Especially when the new king has an insane hatred for them.

Anyway, an irrationally irritating moment(s): I've been watching Sons of Anarchy on Netflix, and it irritates me how often people get run off the road/go flying off their bikes without serious injuries. I get that it would be bad TV if they were in the hospital all the time, but it gets a bit ridiculous that leather and sheer manly grit apparently make you immune to motorcycle crashes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

And in the book at least, they mention that assassins had been dogging them Dany's entire life, though it's possible that was entirely Viserys's paranoia. There wasn't a politically good time for Dorne to back her up, and they were constantly moving trying avoid being murdered anyway so finding them was a fool's errand.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Sep 27, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Cowslips Warren posted:

Was Robert sending assassins after the kids before she was getting married? I know he was not the brightest guy but did he even know or care about the issues with Elia Martell being murdered? She wasn't dragonspawn, etc.

Minor spoiler for Game of Thrones BooksThere were certain people keeping things under wraps, who were/are planning to use the Targ kids (though Dany's actions have changed their plans as to exactly how that will work). People in Dorne are involved, as well as others.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Is there a rationally irritating movie moments thread? Because I just saw the maze runner, and while it's pretty intriguing for most of the movie, the plot dump at the end is a load of horse poo poo.

So, in order to save humanity from a combination heat wave zombie apocalypse, you perform an unfathomably expensive experiment which will help you develop children that are immune to... mazes? There is no drat reason for there to be a maze. Furthermore, if the purpose of the test is indeed to determine which children are immune to the virus [and mazes?!?], why would you have the vector for the virus transmission be a horrendous cyborgspider?? The grievers are clearly more than happy to just rip the children apart and murder them outright than to jab them with their poison virus stinger.

Has anyone here read the books? What is this bullshit? And how did that one kid even get there at the end?

Ignite Memories has a new favorite as of 02:16 on Sep 28, 2014

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

Every second G was on screen in the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YsnZ4bYIjs

I agree with the sentiment, but I'm not a fan of those Youtube vids. They're way to literal, I mean, I would consider the whole tsunami sequence (or in '98, the part where all the vehicles bounce with Zilla's footsteps) to still be a "Godzilla scene" even though they're not onscreen.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ignite Memories posted:

Has anyone here read the books? What is this bullshit? And how did that one kid even get there at the end?

I'm told that the books don't make much more sense.

Personally, I'm prepared to forgive everyone involved in the recent YA-books-into-movies trend if someone goes nuts with William Sleator's Interstellar Pig.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
A final note on the Game of Thrones discussion: on top of all the many reasons for Dorne not to take in the Targaryens, they also don't seem interested in taking the throne or dominating Westeros like some other houses are; they mostly just want to be left alone. Oberyn's hatred for the Lannisters notwithstanding.

I assume there's a GoT thread where stuff like this belongs though?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mr. Belpit posted:

I assume there's a GoT thread where stuff like this belongs though?

Several! They are all terrible.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

I did enjoy the movie, but really wish it had focused on Cranston instead.

I thought this too. The whole start of the film got me invested in Cranston and Watanabe's characters. I love both those actors and thought it was fantastic a big monster movie was doing something different by focusing on two older dudes. Then the films screams to a halt and hands us some loving soldier and his boring as gently caress family. I don't know these people, I don't give a flying gently caress about this bland family, why has the films focus shifted onto these boring nobodies? I ended up turning the film off with about 20 minutes left to go because my interest just fizzled out and I was so bored. It's a shame really because I really enjoyed the first half of the film.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think a lot of people, myself included, felt the same way.

They had such a big marketing blitz with CRANSTON on loving everything, and then 20 mins into the movie they drop him for some idiot soldier and his idiot family and idiot kid.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think a lot of people, myself included, felt the same way.

They had such a big marketing blitz with CRANSTON on loving everything, and then 20 mins into the movie they drop him for some idiot soldier and his idiot family and idiot kid.

A common enough marketing especially after Breaking Bad just finished. I loved the film as said, but definitely agree Watanabe and Cranston would be far more interesting to watch.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The worst part of the new Godzilla was when they're in... Hawaii or somewhere and after a grueling hour of watching PFC Nobody they finally have Godzilla and the Muto together and they're about to fight. Then suddenly the film cuts to the following morning and there's an offhand line of dialogue saying the monsters wandered off. What the gently caress? You can't build up to a big confrontation and then timeskip past it, that's bullshit.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The worst part of the new Godzilla was when they're in... Hawaii or somewhere and after a grueling hour of watching PFC Nobody they finally have Godzilla and the Muto together and they're about to fight. Then suddenly the film cuts to the following morning and there's an offhand line of dialogue saying the monsters wandered off. What the gently caress? You can't build up to a big confrontation and then timeskip past it, that's bullshit.

You see parts of the fight on the news broadcast the child is watching after. I liked that cut tbh.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
That cut was fantastic and my favorite part of the movie after Godzilla's 'theme' just being a solitary piano key or two when he shows up later.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, I was mostly disappointed in Godzilla (though my expectations were never high) but I loved that cut. Especially the way what we did see of the fight on the television was framed to look like one of the old Japanese movies.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm told that the books don't make much more sense.

Personally, I'm prepared to forgive everyone involved in the recent YA-books-into-movies trend if someone goes nuts with William Sleator's Interstellar Pig.

Man, let's have The Boy Who Reversed Himself.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

ArcMage posted:

This! That book was really cool when I was a kid.

Actually, I want a tv series of Tom Swift trash SF. They have a lot of ground they could cover, just based on the books. They could film a fourth of each season based on the original novels, in the early 1900s, a fourth of it in the 50s or 60s, a fourth in the 90s, and the last fourth in modern day, and use the same actors for Tom and his best friend. The one in the modern day would be the great grandson of the one from the turn of the century, and maybe occasionally have one of the younger ones discover one of the older ones' invention, and improve on it in some way, or work on it and reach a dead end. Have each 4th of the season be a series of episodes connected by an overarching plot, and maybe air the 4ths of the season entertwined, so that viewers paying attention to the show will notice little touches from other parts of it, and maybe include occasional time travel, where the later Toms end up in disguise, interacting with the earlier Toms, so that the stories cross, although without the earlier Toms realizing that the later Toms are their kid/grandkids. Use subtle prosthetics on Tom, so that each one doesn't look identical to the others, but maybe looks a little like the actress playing the previous generations' love interest, like eye color or nose shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

ArcMage posted:

I'm waiting for the body horror version of Flat Stanley.